Start by marking “Mahalia” as Want to Read:
Mahalia

Mahalia

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When his girlfriend leaves him and their five-month-old baby, seventeen-year-old Matt struggles to make a life for himself and Mahalia, the daughter he adores.
Published October 1st 2001 by Allen & Unwin Academic

To ask other readers questions about Mahalia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mahalia

kate.o.d
matt and emmy were only teenagers when they discovered they were expecting a baby. but they decided they would love her and worry about the other problems later. but emmy can't seem to cope and before mahalia is six months old she leaves them and goes to stay with her godmother in sydney. matt is fiercely determined to take care of mahalia by himself and be beholden to no one.

this is a beautiful story and very realistic. again set in lismore (reading jo's novels you expect to see characters fro
Ramisa
Mahalia handles a lesser-explored aspect of teen pregnancy; fatherhood. I fell in love with Matt's caring, gentle nature, Mahalia's innocence and oblivion of the world around her, and the people around Matt who helped him heal.

Although I spent most of the story feeling sorry for Matt, I still understood Emmy's rather selfish departure and their separate ways. A bittersweet story, but with a happy (although completely different from the beginning) ending to leave you satisfied.

Also, I wrote thi
Tori
Nothing much really happened. Was tempted to give up part way through, but figured something must happen soon.
Lindi
Another in the teen dad genre. Better than Angela Johnson's The First Part Last, but not as compelling as Hanging on to Max, by Margaret Bechard. Set in Australia, and that's interesting. I did love the main character and his determination to care for to his daughter.
Alba
Mar 19, 2008 Alba rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE
Recommended to Alba by: I found it at the school library
OMG this is one of the best books i have ever read. A 17 year old teenager becomes a Father and Mother to his daughter Mahalia. i love that this book is about a guy who became a man when he decided to take care of his baby...OHH it was such a cute book,
Paige
I thought that this book was great. i enjoyed it all, and its simplicity appeals to me. Loved it
Katelyn
beautifully written. Takes a while to get used to the slightly fragmented style
Finley
The book Mahalia is a poorly written book, with little story line. The story revolves around a young man named Matt and his baby Mahalia and the distant memory of their dead beat/not in the picture mother. I would recommend this book if you were a light reader or wasn’t into novels with a dunce story line and plot. These books left me screaming someone call the child services. I give this book 1 out of 5 stars on the fact that the author little to no explanations of characters and their thoughts ...more
Margherita Dolcevita
Sul retro del libro c'è scritto "Dai 13 anni in su", questo lo configura come libro per ragazzi.
Io ora non è che sono esperta di adolescenti, ma secondo me nessun quindicenne leggerebbe un libro del genere.
E' il tipico romanzo per ragazzi che però può piacere solo agli adulti. Non so se sia un difetto o un grosso problema, ma io di quindicenni che vorrebbero leggere la storia di un loro coetaneo (giù di lì) ragazzo padre senza soldi non ne conosco.
Il libro a me è piaciuto. E' molto semplice, da
Mrssummers
It wasn't bad, I liked the main character and how much he adored his daughter. I liked how imperfect he was as a father and how honestly raw it could be at times. I liked the vividness of the setting.
What I wasn't a fan of was the writing. It seemed amateurish. I suppose that could be because it was written from a teenage boys point of view but I didn't find that aspect appealing. I wouldn't read it again but I'm glad I read it the first time.
Jess
I loved this book, and admittedly I'm rating it based on my opinion from reading it back in high school, but I'd love to read it again.
Ms Tlaskal
I very much enjoyed a boy's perspective on parenthood in this novel. Like in a baby's day.. nothing and everything seems to happen and it is so valuable for teens to see that a boy could do all the laborious everyday work with a child. Her writing is beautiful and limpid, you just want to keep on reading and sharing her gentle, delicate view of the world where everyone, even a little motherless baby has a place.
Urszula
I have found this book very simple and slow going with little action. But I liked the fact that it was a 17 year old boy who became Mother and Father to Mahalia, and as such he loved being with and looking after his dougher. It was inspiring how he didn't want to fail as a father and how much pride he took in looking after Mahalia. The rest of the characters were likable and interesting. I would recommend this book to all teenagers to learn that all actions have their consequences.
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
Short, manageable, simple, and beautiful. Admirable protagonist navigates the crushing reality of being a single teenaged dad while mourning the loss of his relationship. Doesn't romanticise teen pregnancy at all, but doesn't demonise it either.
Belinda

this book has a most seemingly child like ending which i believe is able to capture the essence of the entire book within a few short paragraphs. well done to Joanne Horniman.
Nandar
This book brought me to tears. I liked the fact that this was a guy instead of a girl. I swear the baby was the most adorable thing alive and Matt. What an awesome dad.
Ren
**4.5 STARS

This was really really good. It was a tad hard to get into at first but overall I thought it was excellent.
Irisvdd
read it for the billion-ist time,
still love it,
it's just soooooo freaking adorable and cute and beautiful
I just love it.
x
Tetty
..it must be difficcult for young couple to raise a child..but u can't just give it up..there's always way out..
Amanda
The book had great descriptive images, but it tended to be repetitive.
K
I loved this!
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Emy
Emy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jrmiracle
Jrmiracle marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dear Swoosie (Girlfriend Fiction, #17)
  • Welcome to the Departure Lounge: Adventures in Mothering Mother
  • Indigo Girls (Girlfriend Fiction, #2)
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • La maladie de Sachs
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Mijn zoon heeft een seksleven en ik lees mijn moeder Roodkapje voor
  • Strange Son
  • The Life You Longed For
  • Sex Lies and Bonsai
  • Manhattan Dreaming
  • Queen of the Road
  • Last Chance Cafe
  • Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies.
  • Hungry: Lessons Learned on the Journey from Fat to Thin
  • Destroying the Joint: Why Women Have to Change the World
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Raising Blaze: Bringing Up an Extraordinary Son in an Ordinary World
Joanne Horniman grew up in a country town in northern NSW. She read books, rode her bicycle around the countryside, and had a glove puppet theatre company with her best friend. They 'toured' their show to all the classes in the school. On leaving school, Joanne went to Sydney, completed an arts degree and worked as an editor after a stint washing dishes in a pub. Since then she has worked as a tea ...more
More about Joanne Horniman...
About a Girl Secret Scribbled Notebooks Little Wing My Candlelight Novel A Charm of Powerful Trouble