Start by marking “L'affaire Lerouge” as Want to Read:
L'affaire Lerouge
Read Book* *Different edition

L'affaire Lerouge (Monsieur Lecoq #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
General Books publication date: 2009 Original publication date: 1908 Original Publisher: Caldwell Notes: This is a black and white OCR reprint of the original. It has no illustrations and there may be typos or missing text. When you buy the General Books edition of this book you get free trial access to Million-Books.com where you can select from more than a million books ...more
Published September 30th 2011 (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about L'affaire Lerouge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'affaire Lerouge

Nancy Burns
The writing is just as good as Zola! Impressed!
I ordered a 1961 version of the book Livre de Poche.
When I open the book it smells like 1961, really it does!

Here is my review:

France-Andrée
J'ai vraiment aimé ce livre, la prose est un plaisir à lire. Côté mystère : je me doutais bien de qui était le coupable à la moitié du livre et même du revirement que j'imagine se voulait spectaculaire au moment de l'écriture. Ceci dit, j'ai douté de mes conclusions jusqu'au moment où le tout est révélé dans le texte et c'est pour cela que j'ai vraiment aimé. Faire douter son lecteur quand réellement il n'y a pas d'autres alternatives plausibles, il faut être un grand écrivain. Tous les personna ...more
Amaresh
I’ve been meaning to read some books by the Gaboriau for some time. I had heard that Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes character was, at least partly, based on Gaboriau’s Detective Lecoq. It turns out that in _The Lerouge Case_ Lecoq is a minor character. He is a junior detective and is mentioned briefly at the beginning of the book to introduce the amateur detective Tabaret. Apparently in later books Tabaret is a mentor and teacher to Lecoq.

But already we see some some of the characteristics made f
Amandine
2, 5 étoiles

Il s'agit pour moi d'une lecture de cours que j'ai faite en retard, donc en connaissant tous les rebondissements révélés par le professeur dans son analyse : pour un roman policier, ce n'est pas l'idéal... Néanmoins, j'ai apprécié découvrir l'un des premiers textes français du genre et comparer avec ce que je sais de ceux d'aujourd'hui. L'intrigue y est plus prévisible, les retournements de situation peut-être un peu trop nombreux à mon goût et le ton général moins "gore" que ce qu'o
Mathangi Sri
Awesome way of telling a mystery..is different from typical detective novels..reccomended
Dagny
The Lerouge Case is the first published Lecoq story and Lecoq is learning about crime detection from Tabaret. Monsieur Lecoq was published three years later and recounts Lecoq's first case.

The Widow Lerouge has been missing. When her neighbours request the assistance of the local gendarmes, her murdered body is found. The scene, on the surface, indicates a robbery, but the spoils have been found abandoned nearby. Little is known of her past; it must be unravelled in order to find a motive for th
B. Zedan
This is one convoluted story. Which—totally what Gaboriau rocks at. Just when you think "okay, so this person is secretly this person, and they love this person" you are proved wrong. M. Lecoq makes only a cameo in this story, he's only just begun being a detective. And the tangled skein of identity that Gaboriau rocks has also only just begun. Despite relative infancy, however, both are highly enjoyable.
Eleanor
The wonderful Project Gutenberg provided me with this to read, and as a fan of the detective fiction genre, particularly Sherlock Holmes, Gaston Leroux and Edgar Allen Poe, I thought I really should add this to my reading list. I enjoyed it very much - I liked the lead character and the very human way he was portrayed: a complete contrast to Sherlock Holmes. I will definitely be reading some more of his work.
Mark Stephenson
It is easy to see why this book made the author a literary star back in the 1860's. Since some of its effectiveness depends on a subtle misdirection of the reader, I won't say much about the story, but it taught me a good deal about Parisian values, customs and conflicts of that period.
Francis
A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Heroes rise and fall, honor and deceit co-mingle and the plot twists and turns. Two mothers, two sons, one father, one murder, combine into one good mystery.
Jul 08, 2013 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Dagny
The English version can be found at Project Gutenberg.

The French version can be found at Project Gutenberg.
thelifepursuit
I tried earnestly to get through this story and while I quite enjoyed the premise, I found the style to be difficult to read. I prefer the story to happen in real-time, rather than an entire book of recollection.
Tammy Jurkovski
Jul 10, 2011 Tammy Jurkovski is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery/detective novel was originally published in 1873. I was lucky enough to find a copy at an antique store here in MN that was a copy published in 1904! A good read so far!
Rahayu Kusasi
Farzad
Very ponderous and at times repetitive writing. The plot is interesting but relies on too many coincidences.
Laurie Rizzolo
Pretty good but I figured out who did it a third of the way in. interesting twist.
Jack
19th century French murder mystery. Well plotted.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Aunt
Aunt marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Ubiquitousbastard
Ubiquitousbastard marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Helen Stanton
Helen Stanton marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Niland Mortimer
Niland Mortimer marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Emily Dresser
Emily Dresser marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Red Thumb Mark
  • The Land of Mist (Professor Challenger, #3)
  • The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court 5
  • Widdershins
  • The Marriage Contract
  • Jezebel's Daughter
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)
  • The Benson Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #1)
  • The Cask
  • Alien Hearts
  • The Leavenworth Case
  • Le parfum de la dame en noir
  • A Thief in the Night
  • The Informer
  • Indiscretions of Archie
  • Calamity Town / Dragon's teeth
  • The Mystery of a Hansom Cab
Gaboriau was born in the small town of Saujon, Charente-Maritime. He became a secretary to Paul Féval, and after publishing some novels and miscellaneous writings, found his real gift in L'Affaire Lerouge (1866).

The book, which was Gaboriau's first detective novel, introduced an amateur detective. It also introduced a young police officer named Monsieur Lecoq, who was the hero in three of Gaboriau
More about Émile Gaboriau...

Monsieur Lecoq (5 books)
  • Mystery of Orcival
  • File No. 113
  • Monsieur Lecoq
  • The Honor of the Name
Monsieur Lecoq Mystery of Orcival File No. 113 The Honor of the Name Le petit vieux des Batignolles