Quarry's Ex (Hard Case Crime, #102)

Quarry's Ex (Quarry #10)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Even the enigmatic hit man called Quarry had to start somewhere. And for him that was the day he returned from Vietnam to find his young wife cheating. He'd killed plenty overseas, so killing her lover was no big deal. When he was recruited to use his skills as a contract killer, that transition was easy, too. He survived by expecting trouble. He didn't expect to run into...more
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Quarry's Ex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarry's Ex

Kemper
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Especially if you’re a hit man and you’ve killed several people while there.

Quarry used to just murder people for money, but he now he works a new angle. Using info he accumulated while in the business, he now tracks other hit men while they’re getting ready to kill their latest target, and then he approaches the marks with an offer to dispose of the other hit men first. For a bonus fee, he’ll try to figure out who paid for the contract.

This gig has brought...more
Dan Schwent
Quarry's working with a movie director to stop the guys hired to kill him and find out who hired them. Too bad the last person Quarry expected to see again is complicating matters... his ex-wife.

The Hard Case Crime series is back and they've brought Quarry with them. Quarry is the same old methodical hitman he's been in the other Hard Case Quarry books. After reading the Perfect Crime reprints of the early Quarry books, it was nice to read one of the ones written once Max Allan Collins had a bit...more
Eric_W
Really a prequel to the other Quarry books. This one had the least plausible plot, I thought. Quarry is well into his role as hitman of hitmen, in the service of those who have become targets. Those who have read any of the other Quarry novels will have already have numerous pieces to Quarry’s back-story: how he came to be recruited by the Broker, the betrayal by his ex-wife, his time in Vietnam. That he would meet his ex-wife as the wife of a B-movie director who has been targeted for assassina...more
Mohammed
I read this yesterday stuck for 3 hours in some desert airport in Yemen in Riyan on my way to east Somalia. Thankfully this was the best Quarry book I have read so far. Crisp prose,clear strong voice of Quarry who had his nasty,witty humor while he was being ice old killer. These books are short but like The first Quarry was near perfect story for this type of novel. The mystery of who put the contract on Art Stockwell had me guessing until the end.

Randy
Hard Case crime is back!. Today HCC is officially back in business. QUARRY'S EX is one of two that hit the markets today.

In his early thirties, Quarry is still up to his old tricks. Using the list he got from the Broker, he finds a hit man, follows him until he determines the target, then approaches said target offering to save his life, for a fee of course, and get rid of the hit man.

What he never expected was to run into, right in the middle of the whole mess, his ex-wife, the woman who unknow...more
Craig Childs
For a 10-book series (soon to be 11), Max Allan Collins' Quarry novels have been remarkably consistent.

True, there is a predictable formula at work in each one, but this series never feels like a by-the-numbers retread like Robert Parker's Jesse Stone novels or Donald Westlake's Alan Grofield mysteries.

How does Collins do this? First, he keeps each book short (I'm a slow reader, and I can finish a Quarry adventure in less time than it takes to smoke two cigars). Second, he divided Quarry's life...more
Gloria Feit

Max Allan Collins writes noir crime novels which read very much like Mickey Spillane, with whom he was a close friend and collaborator [and completed some started by the late author]. This novel is no exception, and is full of sex, violence and hard-boiled prose. It is a prequel to a long-running series about a hit man who has turned the tables on other assassins by developing a new business: collecting his fees from intended victims by eliminating killers and those who hired them.

This novel tak...more
Josh
In 'Quarry's Ex', Max Allan Collins delves deep into the surface tension between the hitman's hitman and his former wife Joni. Well established is their bloody history, with the former flame credited with paving Quarry's bullet riddled, body bagged road, for it's her deception that leads him to the Broker and a life built on ending others.

In this latest installment, a prequel, Quarry enters the movie business having tracked a former hitman hired to knock off a b-grade director. From there he sw...more
Chris
Quarry's Ex takes place in the 1980's and directly references previously established continuity by brining the guy's former wife into the fold while he investigates a film director on whom a hit has been taken.

I really enjoyed the movie-making setting of Quarry's Ex as a change, but I missed some of the bleaker Midwestern settings from the previous books. In all honesty, Quarry's Ex is probably the least of the newer Quarry novels. Aspects of the book including the coincidental nature of Quarry...more
Ed
#10 in the Quarry series. If you've followed the Quarry series, you've heard about his cheating wife on many occasions - but this episode of the saga puts a new twist on things. Lawrence Block has John Keller; Loren D. Estleman has Peter Macklin; and, Max allan Collins has Quarry. It seems odd to have a professional hit man as the protagonist of a series but it happens and sometimes it happens very well.

Quarry series - Even the enigmatic hit man called Quarry had to start somewhere. And for him...more
Craig Hansen
The literary revival of Max Collins' Quarry has been a welcome development, but the most recent installment, Quarry's Ex, is perhaps the most enjoyable read since the series was revived with the publication of The Last Quarry.

For decades, readers have heard of Quarry's first love only in the context of how her betrayal of him upon his return from Vietnam shaped his character. Quarry's Ex remedies this by an extended appearance from the woman who broke Quarry's heart, fleshing her out in at least...more
Glen
Hitman of hitmen, Quarry is in a casino town, where a B-movie is being shot, in order to save the life of the movie's director. He's got to deal with bikers, the mob, and his ex-wife...

Great stuff from MAC.
Lee Butterfield
Moderately good airplane fodder.
Patrick Hayes
A great book from the early life of hitman Quarry, focusing on the return of his wife and his involvement with a low budget film crew and someone who's out to kill the director.

The mystery became a case of "there's no one left, so it be this individual", but I enjoyed this for the characters and their dialogue. The coolness drips off this book quicker than pool water off a brunette.

Max Allan Collins is amazing and any new venture into the Quarry stories is eagerly awaited by me!
Andrew Kunka
I don't know why I keep reading these Quarry novels, but I do. Quarry is a fairly interesting character, and the concept of a hit man who targets hit men is a good hook. However, the books are predictable, and Quarry relies on both coincidence and extreme generalizations in order to solace these mysteries. The conclusion to this book, in particular, doesn't make much sense if examined closely. It's a quick read, though.
Robert James
Better the second time around. Didn't mean to read it a second time. Thought it was the latest Quarry book. Figured it out about 50 pages in that I had read this before. Decided to finish it out and glad I did. Mr. Collins has a terrific character in Quarry. I think I like him better than Nathan Heller. Maybe I will go find the earlier Quarry books and read them again.
Clint
Quarry kills with little hesitation, just might off you if the price was right, takes shit from no one, and spits words as dangerous as his bullets. Whether because of or despite these facts, you still can't help but cheer him on. Just as Quarry always hits his mark, Max Allan Collins always delivers. Quarry's Ex is one helluva ride.
James Hein
This is the last book (as far as I can tell) in the Quarry series and I'm sad about that. I read this in a single sitting, it's not a long book but it is as good as any of the earlier ones and I love the no nonsense style that Max Allan Collins writes in.
Solitairerose
Loved it!! Max Allen Collins is an excelled author of crime fiction, and this shows that his return to Quarry has been stellar.
Tim Lapetino
Solid entry into Collins' Quarry noir series. Not the best of them, but representative of the genre and an effortless read.
Victor Whitman
Gave it three stars. I can't say I liked it so much as I couldn't put it down. Guilty pleasure. Read it quickly.
Alf  Watlington
Quarry is one of my favorite series. Collins has never let me down with any of his books.
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Tonya Smith
Tonya Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom...more
More about Max Allan Collins...
Supreme Justice Bones Buried Deep (Bones, #1) Road to Perdition Sin City (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #2) Cold Burn (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #3)