Start by marking “Deliver Us From Darkness: The Untold Story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment during Market Garden” as Want to Read:

Deliver Us From Darkness: The Untold Story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment during Market Garden (The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to Berchtesgaden #2)

At short notice on Sept 17, 1944 the 101st Airborne Division parachuted into Holland as part of Operation Market Garden. The plan was to secure the main highway that passed through the city of Eindhoven - facilitating the advance of Gen. Sir Miles Dempsey's Second British Army towards Arnhem. The objective of the 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) was to capture four cr ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Osprey Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deliver Us From Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliver Us From Darkness

Jonathan
Feb 10, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it
I read this book because my wife's parents lived through and experienced Market Garden as children, and my wife grew up in that same area of the Netherlands (years later). I have also read another book by Ian Gardner which was quite good. The book for the most part is an interesting read about the liberation of the Netherlands during WWII. I found the constant switching of viewpoints in the narrative made it rather difficult to follow. Perhaps reading the book in a single sitting would make for ...more
Eric
Dec 23, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Excellent book. I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in the activities of paratroopers during WW2. There are a lot of photographs and maps augmenting the text. Well worth the read.
Luke Herbert
Apr 04, 2013 Luke Herbert rated it liked it
Deliver us from Darkness is the verbal accounts of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment veterans and Dutch civilians who witnessed or supported Operation Market Garden. The book serves as a sequel to Tonight we die as Men which detailed the battalion combat role on D-Day and afterwards.

The Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment formed a part of 101st Airborne Division, which became famous as the “Screaming Eagles.” That division participated in D-Day, Operation Market Garden
Clyde
Oct 07, 2014 Clyde rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, military, 2014
The day-to-day and sometimes minute-by-minute actions of the Third Battalion of the 506th during operation Market-Garden form the core of this book, but it ranges considerably wider. For example a full chapter is devoted to the Dutch under Nazi rule -- a subject that itself would take a full book to do justice to. I can only rate it three stars because the writing is somewhat unfocused and jolts from subject to subject (cobblestone writing). However the events themselves are quite dramatic and c ...more
Art
Nov 21, 2013 Art rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-ii
It's nice to pick up a WWII history again that's not just well researched but well written too. I think the hidden gem in this book are several of the photos included from the battle I have never seen before. I'm only sorry it took me this long to discover this author.
Sherman
Feb 20, 2014 Sherman rated it liked it
I didn't know anything about the 101st during operation Market Garden. This gave a fairly detailed look. It would have helped if the context in the larger operation had been explained. You'll have to go elsewhere to see if we won.
a.t.m.
Feb 10, 2016 a.t.m. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
World war two story of combat and courage.

Many details fill this book and it is worth reading.The sacrifices made by all involved in the fighting in Holland is a reminder of the courage and fortitude of " the greatest generation", during world war two.
Ron
May 14, 2012 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
Decent history of 3rd Battalion of 506th PIR of the 101st Division. Drier in tone than The Band of Brothers series with multiple viewpoints that made the story less coherent. Good bibliography.
Vaughan
Feb 26, 2014 Vaughan rated it liked it
Interesting stories, great level of detail, but bounced all over the place and was hard to follow. A few maps or a common thread would've made this much more readable.
 Dr. Michael Galvin
Jun 28, 2012 Dr. Michael Galvin rated it really liked it
This is a very good book and I would have given it 5 stars but I am reading September Hope: The American Side Of A Bridge Too Far by John C. McManus and it is even better.
Momoh Roger
Momoh Roger rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Brian A Miller
Brian A Miller rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Floyd C Jordan
Floyd C Jordan rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
David L. Scrip
David L. Scrip rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Tomdon
Tomdon rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Panzagl
Panzagl rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Victor von Schlegell
Victor von Schlegell rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Izzy Ismert
Izzy Ismert rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Gene
Gene rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Damon Hall
Damon Hall rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Mr R
Mr R rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
deborah burgess
deborah burgess rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Audie Jo
Audie Jo rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Between Giants: The Battle for the Baltics in World War II
  • The Shetland Bus: A WWII Epic of Escape, Survival and Adventure
  • Forgotten Sacrifice: The Arctic Convoys of World War II
  • Last of the Few: The Battle of Britain in the Words of the Pilots Who Won It
  • The Star of Africa: The Story of Hans Marseille, the Rogue Luftwaffe Ace Who Dominated the WWII Skies
  • The Filthy Thirteen: From the Dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - The True Story of the 101st Airborne's Most Legendary Squad of Combat Paratroopers
  • Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot
  • The Memoirs of Field Marshal Montgomery: Of Alamein, K.G.
  • The Germans in Normandy
  • Hitler's Pre-Emptive War: The Battle for Norway, 1940
  • Visions From a Foxhole: A Rifleman in Patton's Ghost Corps
  • Worlds Torn Asunder: a Holocaust Survivor's Memoir of Hope
  • Hitler's First Victims: The Beginning of the Holocaust and One Man's Fight to End It
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 (Rabaul Trilogy, #2)
  • The Pacific War Companion: From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima
  • "Bismarck": A Minute-by-minute Account of the Final Hours of Germany's Greatest Battleship
  • Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs
  • Strange Glory: A Life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to Berchtesgaden (3 books)
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • No Victory in Valhalla: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Bastogne to Berchtesgaden

“How I wish I was a child again, when time was still my friend.” 0 likes