Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks (The Nightmare Series, #1)

Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks (The Nightmare Series #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  27 reviews
For fourteen-year-old Eve Hallows, life can be summed up in one word-horrible. She has the most horrible friends. She lives in a horrible old castle. Even her family is a bunch of horrible monsters. However, in the monster-inhabited world of Gravesville-a world where messages are sent through Ouija boards, jack-o'-lanterns get facials to suit their moods, and the worst thi...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Createspace (first published November 7th 2011)

Joy (joyous reads)
Eve’s family is on the move; away from Gravesville, away from the comfort and familiarity of the life she’d ever known. Being the only human living among monsters, she predicted life in the human world would turn out ‘adorably’ wrong. When she found out the real reason why her family is in escrow, she reluctantly accepted that they didn’t have a choice. She only hopes that her gorgon of a mother could resist not turning anyone into stone, or her father wouldn’t have to shift too often into anoth...more
Aeicha
Read the original and complete review at Word Spelunking

THREE FIVE WORDS: A Monster-load of creepy fun!

MY REVIEW: Robert Gray’s Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks has everything I look for in a MG book- laugh-out-loud laughs, relatable young characters, pitch-perfect dialogue and a super fun story….oh, and pizza. Can’t forget the pizza!

Fourteen year old Eve Hallows has lived in Gravesville, surrounded by monsters, her whole life and that’s absolutely horrible to her…of course, in Eve’s world h...more
Donna
WOW! What an absolutely horrible book (horrible meaning fantastic!) Think The Munster's from the viewpoint of Marilyn- remember her? The only strange and bizarre human in a family of perfect monsters!
Well, Eve's life is somewhat like that. Mom is a Gorgon, Dad is a shapeshifter and brother Sam is a ghoul. Even the family pet Wolf is a werepig. This book was laugh out loud funny. I loved when Mom accidentally turned people to stone. Dad's crazy attempts at running a pizza store were just hysteric...more
Amy
Gravesville: wandering zombies, sea monsters, werewolves ghouls, gorgons... all blending together with one sore thumb, a human named Eve. You wouldn't think that a human would be a big deal, there are vampires roaming about, right? Wrong. Humans are pitchfork-wielding terrors who live under a sun that will melt your skin and eat disgusting things like bacon and eggs. Who can live off that stuff?

Although some of Gravesville's inhabitants still look at her with a wary eye, Eve loves nothing more...more
Liliana ♥s Mythology
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

So, lately, I've been in a terrible reading slump. I mean, I wanted to read, but I just felt no motivation to do so! So I went through all my unread books (that's 100+ both paperback and e-books) to see which one caught my attention and would hopefully help me out of this slump. And the winner? Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks!!! This is exactly what I needed! It was just sooo adorable (and not in the way that Eve uses the word, lol) and funny and sooo entertain...more
Jackie
This was a book that would appeal to young readers as well as adults. It had the right amount of fantasy and mystery. I enjoyed how it kept me turning the pages to find out what would happen next. I enjoyed the variety of monsters in the book and how it revolved around Halloween. My favorite character was mom and the snakes. I will definitely recommend this to my students.
Anne
Jun 02, 2012 Anne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reading this to my daughter and we are enjoying it.
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
This was actually a super cute read. I really enjoyed it. I wanted to wait until closer to Halloween to read the book, but I thought it would be a perfect quick summer read… and I was right.
I’m glad to say that this will be a series. I really enjoyed the characters. Eve is a human that was adopted by a monster family. She has spent her entire childhood living in the monster realm, so she can relate to the monsters. In fact, she feels more monster than human. That is, until she has to move to th...more
Lisa Miller Chandler
Google's rundown:
Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks (The Nightmare #1)
by Robert Gray (Goodreads Author)
4.16 · Rating
Fourteen-year-old Eve Hallows lives in a monster-inhabited place where everything is horrible, which in her world means wonderful, but things are about to become wonderful (horrible) when she must move to the human world.
Published November 8th 2011 by Createspace (first published November 7th 2011)

My thoughts: 5 *'s

Poor 14 year old Eve has to move from her mo...more
Veena .
I had received this book from story cartel for reviewing. And I must say I am not very pleased.
Here is what I think

Cover-page: could have been better.

Characters: every character is unique which makes it interesting but need more refinement. each description is well achieved but the idea has not be well carried forward.

Concept: very interesting. i have not really come across a book which depicts the relationship between humans and paranormal creatures. especially the side of non humans in a hil...more
Lizzy Lessard
I love books that turn cliches upside down. What’s good is bad and what’s bad is good in this fun paranormal story. Eve is a human living in a world very similar to Halloween Town. She’s the only one of her kind, but it is the human world that scares her. When her family moves to New Jersey (hey, that is a pretty scary place – at least on the highways) Eve starts out determined to be miseable and hate every human she meets. What she learns instead is that it doesn’t matter if a person is human o...more
Katie
Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks was such a fun read. It has an easy flow and humorous story that I couldn't put down. The world building that Mr Gray created was fantastic and the characters all loveable. The unique zombies, pirates, werewolves, ghouls, vampires, gorgons and all other paranormal creatures imaginable were hilarious in their creation and so enjoyable. Where horrible means adorable and adorable means horrible, it is an adventure not to miss.

Fourteen year old Eve Hallows was orp...more
Compulsion Reads
Eve Hallows is an adopted human living in the world of Gravesville, where monsters walk the streets and humans are mythic creatures whose goal in life is to hunt down the people she loves in mobs of torch wielding farmers. Then why would her shape shifter father, gorgon mother and ghoul brother decide to move to the human world? There are killers on the loose, and as a member of the Undead, Reanimated, and Nocturnal Service, or URNS for short, her father has volunteered his family for the task o...more
Jessica
I received this book for review purposes as part of a blog tour on hosted by "I'm A Reader, Not a Writer" (http://www.iamareader.com/). I received no compensation for my review and this in no way influenced my honest review.

This was such a cute and fun book! I think that any kid would enjoy this book, whether they are male or female. This series follows Eve Hallows, a human girl that was found on the door step of monsters and raised in the monster world. "The Source" is suspected of murdering...more
Elizabeth "Liza"
Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks was a really good read! It reminded me of a mix of Adams Family and the old series The Munsters, what I mean by that is that they have the same ‘up-side-down’ take on everything. For example, this book was horrible (meaning fantastic)!

Eve is a human that was raised by monsters in the town of Gravesville. The monster world is an alternate one and monsters can travel back and forth through portals. Eve is a pretty cool human; she is loyal to a fault, defensive o...more
Ginny Lurcock
I should never be allowed to review MG/YA titles. I cuss and think inappropriate thoughts and because I don’t have a filter those thoughts tend to sneak out without my permission or regard for the consequences.

But I read them, so you’re getting a review.

Especially since Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks was kind of amazing. I mean, sure, at first I wanted to punch Eve Hallows in the throat… but only because she was acting like a moody teenage girl. Turns out I’m still not found of teenage gir...more
Coreena
This was a cute book with a fun premise. Eve Hallows is the only human living in the monster realm. When it becomes unsafe for them to stay there, her and her family move to the human realm, where only Eve (sort of) fits in.

I loved the idea of turning everything on its head and having the human realm be the unusual one. Kids will like reading how Eve finds everyday things so strange, how horrible means good and adorable means bad.

This is a fast paced book that will appeal to both girls and boys...more
Flora Bateman
I received a free copy of this book for my honest review.

What a fun read! This has all the ingredients for a fun middle-grade age Halloween read: monsters and ghouls and pizza oh my! Eve is a 14 year old girl that has been raised by monsters her entire life. She sees herself as one of them instead of a scary human. When someone starts murdering monsters her and her family pack up and move to the human world where Eve has to not only fit in but solve the mystery so she can go back home.

This is a...more
Melissa Caldwell
Okay this book is horrible, and by horrible I mean cute! (word play is fierce with this one!) So Eve is a human child growing up in a town and family full of actual monsters! Everything is going great for her until her parent's tell her they are moving to "pencil vania." How absolutely adorable (bad)! She has to leave her friends and all she knows and what's worse...she has to go live near HUMANS! Ugh!

I thought this book was simply adorable (back to normal meaning!) Eve is precocious and fun. H...more
Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks is a really cute read. Eve is a human living in the monster world, but after a string of murders takes place, Eve's monster family has to move to our world. Eve has been taught humans are terrible, but now she has to figure out how to fit in with them. This is a great twist to the classic new girl at school trope.

I'm not sure I would recommend this series to many adults, but I certainly recommend it to middle grade readers. It is full of humor, full of adventu...more
Molly
I read this aloud to my 8 year old. His verdict: amazing, awesome, and all the stars. I enjoyed it also and we both laughed out loud on multiple occasions. Very funny and unusual tale about a human girl raised by monsters who is called upon to help the survival of both human and monsterkind. Ending was slightly weak, mostly because it was prepping for book two, rather than a story resolution.
Aaron
I won the book on goodreads! As I was reading this book, I kept thinking how my middle school students would enjoy reading it. The book is written very well. I especially liked the characters' insights. The book has humor, inference, and mystery. I think that you would enjoy the book.
Deanna
This book was SO good. I absolutely loved it! It's like a mix of the Munsters, Adams family and Colombo thrown in to the mix! It was an EPIC read for any age range starting at mgf on up. I'll be starting book 2 soon for sure. :)
Manda
Cute, like a middle-grade version of Bradbury's From the Dust Returned. Fun for Halloween.
Laura Jerwood
Ok - may have been written for Tweens, but I really enjoyed reading this!
Jess
Gwen
Monster-fully fantastic!!
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
  • Winter Reads (15 Novel Boxed Set)
  • Warrior's Moon
  • Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen (The Man Who Loved Jane Austen, #2)
  • Righting a Wrong (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #3)
  • The Colony
  • Silver Linings (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #2)
  • Lost and Found (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #4)
  • The Keeper (Brilliant Darkness, #1.5)
  • Second Chances 101 (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #5)
  • Rook (Timeless Games, #1)
  • Immersed (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #6)
  • Romance through the Ages (7 Book Romance Boxed Set)
  • Rubber Soul (Dust Bin Bob #1)
  • Home Matters (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #1)
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Watcher of Worlds (Whispering Woods, #3)
  • Blood Oath (Gabby Girls Adventure, #2)
  • Starchild: The City of Souls (Starchild, #2)
Robert Gray is a writer. If that job description doesn't impress you, how about fantasy writer? Too general? Well, he doesn't get insulted if you call him a horror writer. If horror's not your thing, then scratch out horror and replace it with suspense. And for the kiddies, you can slap on a YA or MG in front of that title.

Gray lives in Bushkill, Pennsylvania with his wife and two children.
More about Robert Gray...
Eve Hallows and the Book of Shadows (The Nightmare Series, #2) Eve Hallows and the Book of Shivers (The Nightmare Series, #3) Christmas Lites III