Start by marking “Give First Place to Murder” as Want to Read:
Give First Place to Murder

Give First Place to Murder (Ellen McKenzie #2)

Ellen McKenzie returns in this second installment in the series. Murder at a small county fair Arabian horse show? Not possible. But Ellen McKenzie is staring at the body of a young groom, pinned to a hay bale by a pitchfork. Who could have wanted him dead that badly? Several people, and they are all connected to the show barn where Ellen’s daughter, Susannah, has taken a ...more
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Give First Place to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give First Place to Murder

Lbousson
Dec 07, 2015 Lbousson rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I started to read this book, and realized I had read it before.

It could be catalogued as a Christian Mystery, because it has overtones of that. It was a pleasant enough read, though. It does contain contemporary themes: drug use and selling, (specifically meth.) This is a very contemporary theme, and I did appreciate that the author took this theme and made a story out of it.

I honestly didn't particularly care for the characters. I thought Ellie seemed a bit to overprotective and it bothered me
Annette
Oct 27, 2013 Annette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book in the series and loved it so much I read this one immediately. I am very disappointed.

Ellie has moved back to her small home town after a divorce. She is living in what was formerly her parent's home and working in real estate.
Her college age daughter Susannah is with her a part of the time when she is home from school. And the police chief Dan, is her significant other.

This book involves horses and horse showing and I found that part of it very interesting.

Ellie walks int
Patricia Gligor
Apr 20, 2014 Patricia Gligor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Give First Place to Murder" by Kathleen Delaney is the third Ellen McKenzie novel I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love getting to know the characters in a series and following their lives. Ms. Delaney has created a wonderful cast of characters and, as always, has placed them in the middle of an intriguing mystery. I highly recommend this book!
LLona Cunningham
Oct 07, 2013 LLona Cunningham rated it really liked it
Protagonist Ellen feels real enough as she interacts with the cop-boyfriend she's keeping at a distance for a while to stall the usual commitment, and with her grown daughter whom she obviously respects, but still feels the motherly urges when danger is present. Dealing with the horse show set was very good, highlighting some information that isn't common knowledge. This is especially true about the valuable mare suffering colic -- explaining the facts to protagonist Ellen allows the reader to u ...more
Neeka
Feb 11, 2013 Neeka rated it really liked it
Shelves: kathleen-delaney
Horses, meth, murderer, and mention of my hometown throughout the book? I enjoyed this book a lot! Most young girls go through a "horse crazy" phase and I was one of those. Add a story with horses and throw in murder and dealing/ smuggling meth - makes for a very interesting afternoon read. Then start mentioning San Luis Obispo - even a slight mention in a sentence - home... a place I haven't been in so long, you aren't going to get a bad review from me.
This was a good book. The story was fun to
Mary
Sep 02, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable mystery, with realistic characters.
Linda
Jan 20, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Can't wait for the next one!
Nuala Raftery
Apr 18, 2013 Nuala Raftery rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series started off well, with Dying for a Change. The characters were interesting and likeable, the setting pleasant. However, book two in the series is a poor imitation of the Nancy Drew books. It is quite obvious from early on who the criminals are, the heroine is a busybody with an IQ in single figures. She can't even work out who her mysterious pirate is. Unfortunately, I downloaded the rest of the series before I read this so I'll read them, though reluctantly.
Katelyn
Aug 04, 2012 Katelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An enjoyable afternoon read.
Harlequin Books
Category: Mystery
Md West
Md West marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Sara Reber
Sara Reber rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Mary Hengstebeck
Mary Hengstebeck rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Donna Journey
Donna Journey rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
Marlene Ezell
Marlene Ezell marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Eve Stone
Eve Stone rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Sharon
Sharon added it
Apr 19, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Stacey Gibson
Stacey Gibson rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
CottonCandy
CottonCandy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Sherry Murphy
Sherry Murphy is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2016
Erika M
Erika M marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Ann Stansell
Ann Stansell rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Marcie
Marcie added it
Feb 09, 2016
Jo Notary
Jo Notary marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Kays
Kays marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kathleen Delaney has recently moved from CA to S Carolina to write full time. She found a wonderful old historic house with a wonderful wrap around porch, which both she and her dogs put to good use. She will be on tour during August, Sept and October, signing her latest myster, And Murder For Dessert. "
More about Kathleen Delaney...

Ellen McKenzie (5 books)