El Imperio Final

El Imperio Final (Mistborn #1)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  118,872 ratings  ·  7,347 reviews
For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed; the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear; the Lord Ruler reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison.
Published April 30th 2012 by Ediciones B (first published July 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about El Imperio Final, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Imperio Final

Choco
4.7

Edit: After reading the second one, I feel the need to bump this up from 4.5 to 4.7. Don't ask questions.

This is a world where you wake up to ash falling from the sky, and go to bed with your doors and windows closed, hiding from the swirling mists outside.

When a book starts with ash falling from the sky, you simply have to read on to find out why.

I really don't know what to say about this book. That's usually the case when I like something too much. I don't know where to start.

When I firs...more
Chris
It reminds me of Ocean's Eleven meets The Italian Job, but set in Mordor after Sauron has ruled for 1000 years or so. In many fantasy stories, a dark lord is rising and it is up to our heroes to defeat him before that happens. In this, the Dark Lord is already set in place as the status quo and the heroes have to motivate others to want a change.....Yet there is a noble class of The Lord Ruler's flunkies who will need to be scammed and robbed along the way, to finance this big revolt.....I love...more
Benjamin Duffy
I can't remember being this violently conflicted about a book in quite some time. There are some areas where it's just so well done, with the author absolutely nailing it, and then others where I found myself grinding my teeth in frustration. I'm going to abandon my usual practice of writing short, pithy reviews and just drunkenly ramble on a few things here. (Still no spoilers, though.) That OK with y'all?

Language. About two and a half chapters into this book, I found myself asking, "Why does t...more
Jonathan

It is official. After having read Elantris and this first Mistborn novel (plus his work on the Wheel of Time) Brandon Sanderson is one of the best currently living fantasy authors around.

Mistborn delves into political intrigue, into religion, into the masks people use to hide who they truly are, into superstition and into everyday human emotions. In many ways Mistborn addresses very deep philosophical issues while also being very entertaining. And that in my eyes is the mark of a great writer:...more
Anila
Note to self: You are no longer allowed to bring books this good on family road trips. It makes you antisocial. You ignore the great views outside the car. You resent being torn away from the book to spend time with family, and when you are you babble incessantly about how awesome it is and how everyone would like it and how cool the magic is and how great the characters and on and on and on until your family is probably sick of you. And then, even after an eight-mile hike in the desert when you...more
Jon
Markus
"He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it."

A thousand years ago, a young and noble hero arose from rural obscurity into being hailed by Terris priests as the prophesised Hero of Ages. The nations and armies of the world were united beneath his banner in an effort to challenge the Deepness, the mysterious force of darkness threatening to engulf the world. All hope was pla...more
Duchess Nicole
Epic Buddy Read with my Epic Fantasy loving buddy readers Tom, Amy (BW), Pat, Rosanna, Sarah (my lovely), Estelle, and Roxanne...Whew!!! I've been dying to read this series!!!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope."

MY SYNOPSIS:
It's been a thousand years since people have seen the sun or a flower...a thousand years since the Lord Ruler claimed control over the world, since he assumed the role of the Hero of...more
Josh
Dec 18, 2008 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
After many failed attempts at starting up various fantasy series, Brandon Sanderson has delivered something refreshing and vastly entertaining. This is very nearly a five star novel, though there are a few simple discrepencies that keep Mistborn from being great.

Pros:
- I was immideately pulled in by the bizarre world environment here. The idea of a land completely covered in ash at all times is strange and interesting.
- The "magic" system, if it can be called that, is unique and a breath of f...more
Cassy
When someone asked Brandon how many magic systems he had created, he replied more than we realized. The astute audience member then asked how many magic systems we could expect to read about one day. To which Brandon responded, “Only the good ones.”

And the magic in Mistborn is good. Really good. Admittedly, I am picky about my magic. It should require effort and time to master. I need limitations and give-and-take. Make it interesting. I’d like a clear methodology and maybe a dash of whimsy. I e...more
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
A masterpiece in every way, Mistborn - The Final Empire doesn't just rise to the top of the fantasy genre, it actually redefines it!

The history books of the Final Empire tell of a battle that took place over 1,000 years ago, when a prophesied hero defeated a threat known only as The Deepness and gained the powers of a god to be come the Lord Ruler. However, the people of The Final Empire know better! They know that the omnipotent Lord Ruler that now dominates them all is no hero or god, but rath...more
Lyndsey
So I'm taking a short departure from my evil ADD reviews infused with countless images and my odd sense of humor to take an in depth look at this this breathtaking book.

Books are about one of two things for me. Escapism or experiencing. I either want a book to make me close my eyes and completely take me out of this world OR open my eyes and force me to see things in a different light, think about and savor every second of this life. If it doesn't do at least one of those, it isn't doing it's jo...more
Regan
WOW. That. Was. Really. Good.
Kay
Jun 08, 2012 Kay rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sauron and all lords dark and immortal
Actual rating is 3.5 to 3.75 .

When I think back on this book, the first thing that comes to mind is amazing magic system and thorough world building. Usually, I tend to see magic and world building as spices that enhance plot and characterization. Without it, the story could turn out to be bland and tasteless, but the story itself would still exist.

Well, in this case, without the magic system and world building, there would be no story.

STORY SYNOPSIS

Imagine a post-apocalyptic medieval world,...more
Janina
"But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope."

This book has been sitting on my shelf for ages, feeling neglected and collecting dust. I’ve noticed that I’m always a little hesitant to pick up epic fantasy novels, just because sometimes, they tend to be a bit long-winded, harder to get into than my beloved YA books and – let’s face it – especially first books in trilogies are sometimes boring at the beginning...more
Karla

5 +++ Phenomenal Stars!! Les Miserables meets..Braveheart…meets Ocean’s Eleven…...meets The Dirty Dozen…meets The Avengers…all mixed together to make one helluva fantastic fantasy read!!

photo hope_zpsd7822974.jpg

Among the death and despair, there is a glimmer of hope, as a small group of honorable men and one young woman plan an elaborate scheme to upset the ruling force and free the common people from misery and oppression.

Brian put the idea of reading Mistborn into my head, his enthusiasm and passion for this book st...more
StoryTellerShannon
This is a promising series which unfortunately closes up so many loose ends that the reader will probably wonder if the author painted himself into a corner. Almost all of the big obstacles to the success of the heroes get resolved at the very end and only minor conflicts are left. In essence, the author has to start all over again which seems like an extra chore when writing a long fantasy series.

The tale focuses upon a group of sophisticated rogues who are going to pull off the ultimate heist...more
Nate
I really enjoyed this book despite how terrible it was. It was so fast-paced that I could hardly put it down and zipped through it in a matter of days.

That said, it is far from a great book. Mistborn is more akin to a fun action movie, with little substance and a constant flirtation with implausibility. Without giving too much away, the characters often just seem to *know* what to do to make the plot move along, and the author glosses over several seminal events. Everything *works out* over and...more
Athena (Shardbearer)

Buddy read May 5 Robin

Well, Mr.Sanderson, you have done it again. I have cried, laughed, cheered and yelled throughout this entire book. I need sleep....I have a fucking headache from my emotions being pulled back and forth the last 13 hours.

My review

Actual Rating 4.5 stars.

Mr. Sanderson has a way of drawing you in slowly, sometimes painfully, keeping you entertained with a little happenings here and there. He gives you awesome world building, perfect characters and amazing magic system. Then...more
Fani
There isn't much to say, since so many people have already commented on this book. I will just repeat a line I read in someone else's review: this book has the feeling of Ocean's Eleven or The Italian Job, rather than Lord of the Rings.

There are slivers of humor throughout, a delightful young heroine, a wise but also gentle leader and ... a young, naive hero who surprisingly the heroine has to protect rather than the other way around. The system of magic is unique and described extensively. The...more
Sandi
Jan 11, 2009 Sandi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandi by: Fantasy Book Club January Selection
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
"Mistborn: The Final Empire" is the best book I've read in 2009. Okay, it's the first book I've finished in 2009. However, I am not exaggerating in saying that it was an incredible read. Brandon Sanderson has created one of the most vivid societies I have ever encountered in fantasy. The characters really came alive for me and there weren't so many of them that I couldn't keep track of who's-who. Most of the story takes place in one city and some of its outlying areas. No map needed. It is a fin...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Holy shit balls of awesomesauce, I cannot even handle the feels of this book. Gah, my emotions are in a right state, okay, because this book is one of the very best I have ever read. It's not every epic fantasy novel that I can read in little more than a day without it feeling like torture. In fact, the torture was any time not spent reading. Brandon Sanderson does everything right here: the world building, the characters, the writing, and the plotting.

In epic fantasy, it is so rare to find a bo...more
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. An excellent beginning to a truly remarkable and original epic fantasy series. Brandon Sanderson is an amazing writer and he does a superb job creating a believable world and a truly unique magic system. Highly Recommended!!!
Kevin Hearne
I know I'm rather late to this party, but I really did enjoy this book; wonderful magic system, great characters, and I'm ready to read the rest of the series now. Highly recommended if you're looking for a new epic trilogy to read.
Ellis
I'm dead. This book broke me. However, that gives me hope, because maybe now I've Snapped and my Mistborn powers will slowly reveal themselves. Muahahahaha.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The review has arrived. Unfortunately, the powers I hoped for didn't.

I created a new shelf for this. It was supposed to be called "beyond stars and the rest of the universe" but apparently that's too long for Goodreads, so now it's just "beyon...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
I couldn't help but think that it reminded me of Elantris.

How, precisely?

I think in the characterization, themes and style. Oh dear--that sounds like rather a lot, and a bit odd, considering Elantris was a miss.

Settle down, settle down.

I'll explain over at wordpress and booklikes, because I might speculate on the author, and Goodreads has decided it has the right to delete my review, as well as share with multiple partners.

or
Judah
Jun 10, 2012 Judah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Lies of Locke Lamorra
Shelves: general-fantasy
Despite the claims of "turns the genre on it's head," etc, etc, I didn't come away feeling like the author had done that myself.

That being said, it *is* an enjoyable read, the characters are interesting enough (though a few come across as "and this is our lovable rogue" and "this is our evil dark haired beauty," etc, etc) and the writing style works well.

Nothing groundbreaking, but you more than likely won't be kicking yourself for wasting your time reading it if you're willing to settle for "ju...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
May 12, 2014 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss and George RR Martin Fans
Recommended to Robin by: Gavin
“There’s always another secret.”

That seemed to be the theme for this book. Even when I thought I was on the inside and knew what was going on a new development would come about and I would realize that I like the characters in the book had been duped. It made each new reveal all the more enjoyable.

There are some fascinating characters that are easy to love right away:

Vin: The shy girl who has been abandoned and used by everyone she has ever known. I love broken characters that slowly become mo...more
Danae
Warning: This review will most likely not be coherent because words have failed me.

Wow. That's all I've been thinking since I've finished The Final Empire. That, and HOLY CRAP. Everyone raves about how wonderful this series is so I had high expectations. Truthfully though, I didn't think it could possibly be as good as everyone said it was. I'm thrilled to say I was wrong, but I never in a million years thought all the good reviews and my expectations could be blown out of the water.

The charact...more
Robin
So I finished up this book. I must say that overall I really liked it. The strong points were....

1 - Good characters Keslier, Vin, and Sazed really stood out.

2 - Fairly original - the setting of a world where the hero failed and all is dominated by ash and oppression was interesting.

3 - Good magic system - interesting premise and very believable

4 - Good ending - some things were predictable, some were unexpected - some interesting open questions for a future novel.

5 - Good villians - the Inquisi...more
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
The newest Cosmere story, “Sixth of the Dusk,” is available now in Shadows Beneath: The Writing Excuses Anthology .

Brandon Sanderson was born in 1975 in Lincoln, Nebraska. As a child Brandon enjoyed reading, but he lost interest in the types of titles often suggested to him, and by junior high he never cracked a book if he could help it. This changed when an eighth grade teacher gave him Dragonsb...more
More about Brandon Sanderson...
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1) The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)

“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You'll sound far less stupid that way.

- Breeze”
420 likes
“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I'm quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” 373 likes