Start by marking “Wooden Bones” as Want to Read:
Wooden Bones

Wooden Bones

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Pino thought that all of his wishes had come true.

Since he changed into a real boy, he has been content with the simple quiet life he leads with his father, Geppetto. But the boy who used to be a wooden puppet doesn't quite fit in with the other villagers. When Pino discovers a terrifying new talent for bringing wood to life, he and Geppetto find themselves fleeing from an
Published August 7th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wooden Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wooden Bones

Wonder by R.J. PalacioThe One and Only Ivan by Katherine ApplegateThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenLiar & Spy by Rebecca SteadThe Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
Newbery 2013
97th out of 116 books — 1,121 voters

More lists with this book...

Summer
I really do enjoy the premise of this book- what happens after Pinocchio becomes a real boy- but I think this book needed a few more drafts before it came out because a lot of things really don't add up.

(view spoiler)
Viv
I purchased the book for the library because I like fractured/twisted fairy tales. I do enjoy the book, from an adult's perspective though. I think it's more of a book for 4th/5th graders and up. I also think it's an easy one to promote in the library. It's a story of self-discovery, courage, with good mix of adventure and creepy fantasy.

The author intended to reveal Pinocchio's life after the "reality" hit; and it was not a happy one. For Pino, his conciousness of his difference and his eagern
Leslie
I adore fairy tales, but I am not a fan of Pinnochio (my own childhood issues). So I am not entirely sure why I took this one home from the Library to read other than that jacket copy and it was a slim volume. I’m glad I did. Scott William Carter not only carries the spirit of the characters through, but he holds true to the spirit/feel of the fairy tale.

There are some monstrous creatures and wondrous places. The peril is breathtaking for a juvenile fiction—and carried forth with less ego than A
Sam
Aug 09, 2012 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy/ fairy tales/ YA
Pinocchio, the little wooden puppet made by the carpenter Gepetto and brought to life through magic, you would think that would be the end of the story, but Scott William Carter proves that this is only the background to the real story. A story of discovery and strength.

Carter does an amazing job capturing the essence of humanity in Pinocchio, focusing on how a boy who is different from everyone else, a boy altogether more pure and special, would feel and grow in a world fearful of him and his a
Sam
No history of writing for children is complete without a mention of Carlo Collodi's book, The Adventures of Pinocchio. Published in its complete form in 1883 after a serial run, and translated into English in 1892, it's one of the early classics of what we think of today as children's lit, and its iconic characters still hold a special place in popular culture.

It's also extremely dark and violent, especially by today's standards. In fact, the story originally ended with the title character's dea
John
In this confusing but melodramatic sequel to The adventures of Pinocchio young Pino’s discovery that he can bring wood to life leads to a string of flights and deadly threats. With the best of intentions Pino carves a living model of Geppetto’s beloved dead wife Antoinette, a full body suit for a paraplegic Queen, and an unscarred copy of a singer with a ruined face. Not only does each supposed gift lead to violence—Antoinette, for instance, though reduced to a charred hulk in a fire, relentless ...more
Samantha
Since becoming a real boy all Pino has wanted is to live a quiet life with his papa Gepetto. He lovingly crafts a replica of Gepetto's late wife in puppet form and discovers that he has the gift to bring wood to life. When the villagers discover Pino's talent they want to use him to bring their loved ones back to life so Gepetto and Pino are chased from the village into the great unknown.

Along the way they meet people in different places who are all grieving and wish to reunite with their loved
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

Since changing into a real boy, Pino discovers that being human is much more complicated than he observed when he was a wooden puppet. He loves his quiet life with his father Geppetto in the woodshop, but when carves a wooden puppet replica of Geppetto’s dead wife and discovers that he can magically bring her to life, their lives become irrevocably changed. They are forced to move from town to town to avoid the mad crowds of people who demand that they use (or misuse) their powers to fulfill the

Elizabeth
I found the ending pretty disappointing. I also don't understand how Pino and Gepphetto kept running into selfish and messed up people. They met zero kind and helpful people who didn't have an agenda/weird fetish for puppets of dead people. And the idea of "being true to oneself" doesn't feel that different from the moral of the FIRST Pinocchio "don't be a liar" so I'm not sure what the story was serving.
Nancy
What do you think of when I say wooden boy? Do you think of the story of Pinocchio? He was a wooden puppet who became a real boy. In this book, Pino also has the gift of turning wood into real life. You see, it wasn't Geppetto's gift, it was Pinocchio who made the life possible. Now, you might think this is a cool thing to do. But it doesn't turn out that way. Everyone wants help bringing their loved ones back to life. On the run, the two are in for many adventures along the way.
Vicky
I quick and elegant read, beautifully paced with a timely message: Be true to yourself. Carter's slim novel takes up where the traditional Pinocchio story ends; what happens after Pinocchio becomes a real boy? Forced to escape their home village due to circumstances involving Pino's gift of bringing life to wood, the boy and his father Gepetto undergo many adventures through woods and villages. Lovely writing makes this a treat to read out loud.
Vicki
Ever wonder what happened to Pinocchio after he was turned into a real boy? This dark tale continue his story, and when the local villagers discover that Pino has the magic to bring anything wooden to life, they pursue him and Geppetto relentlessly, forcing them to flee for their lives. Everyone wants to exploit Pino for their own ends, but Pino's magic comes at a cost. Every time he uses his magic, a part of him turns to wood again.
Jean L.
Short, dark epilogue to "Pinocchio". Not as grim or as well-written as David Henry Wilson's "The Coachman Rat" (alternate view of Cinderella story) but still interesting. I watched the Disney movie as a kid, then read the Carlo Collodi book and remember being surprised by how many terrible things happen to the living puppet, so it isn't surprising that things continue to be hard for Geppetto and son.
Leigh
Wow. I think this is the best book I have read all year. There were chapters that made me cry, there were exciting action chapters, the characters seemed real and totally beleivable. This won't win the Newbery and that's a shame because really and truly, this is a fantastic book. But it's dark and grim (although the ending is upbeat) and dark and grim stories rarely win the Newbery.
Ms.Patterson
Start to finish adventure, but with a lot of character motive to think about. The story of what happens after happily ever after for Pinocchio and Gepetto, which isn't so happy but a lot more complex. If Gepetto gets to have a real boy, others insist, they should get to have loved ones to. Nice and scary, with more depth (though maybe a little bit less fun) than Tales Dark and Grimm.
Nicholas Elmore
A great adventure book and partly scary for people who like that kind of genre.
It is the fairy tale pinoccio but threw the book his name is Pino.
He and his grandpa were ran away by wolfs and he tries to figure out why.
Pino was ran away into the forest and finds a city and cant go out of the city.
He finds a girl and she tries to help Pinoescape from the city.
Amy Chartrain
The spirit of fairy tales is kept alive! Not a fan of Pinocchio, I read this as a preview of the NH Lady Bug Award nominees. The descriptive language hooked me from the first page. It helps to build the plot that is full of adventure and suspense. This one is just creepy enough to thrill my 5th graders!
Jenielle Haynes
I really enjoyed reading this book. I first picked it up because of the cover, but after reading a few chapters i realized that it is a scary book about a real boy named Pino also known as Pinocio. After becoming a real boy and living with geppetto he realizes his world is not as perfect as he thought.
Dolores
This book wonders what happened after Pinocchio became real. What would the townspeople think? Would they resent Gepetto's power? Or demand that he use the same power on their behalf. Action, adventure, suspense and magic all wrapped up in one quick little read.
Lisa Bricker
Honestly, with a cover like that, I read it only because it's on the Great Stone Face list. It doesn't deserve that cover. It's a dark, disturbing tale of what happens after Pinocchio becomes a real boy. And it's not really happily ever after at all.
Michelle
Gripping continuation of Pinocchio's story, pushed forward into the concerns and motivations of parenthood and grief. At times the story felt told rather than unfolding on the page, but bare bones, stripped language made it easy to keep reading.
Megan
Creepy. Strives to recapture the original Pinnochio's sense of episodic adventure and imminent doom, but in the end is just a grab bag of horror film imagery. Full disclosure: didn't finish
Sherry
Eh, failed to draw me in. It drug on in parts and flew through parts where more detail/exploration would have made it more interesting. Gave it 50 pages and then quit.
Vicki
Sep 24, 2012 Vicki rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: tween
A strange and somewhat disturbing story to me. There is much love between father and son in this book,which I loved, but it all seemed a bit creepy to me.
Cathy Willis
Interesting tale of what happens to Pino after he becomes a "real" boy. A dark side to the wonderful Pinocchio fairy tale we all know so well.
Vickie
I found this to be a very interesting retelling of an old story. I would recommend this story to everyone - just for a change of pace!
Serina
FINALLLLY got this book! a lil more violent than what I would recmond which is a shame cuz of great message of accepting self.
Jon Robinson
I liked this book. It pulled me in and I couldn't get my nose out of it.
Magna Diaz
The story of Pinochio with a twist of humanity.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
SCOTT WILLIAM CARTER's first novel, The Last Great Getaway of the Water Balloon Boys, was hailed by Publishers Weekly as a "touching and impressive debut" and won the prestigious Oregon Book Award for Young Adult Literature. His fantasy from Simon and Schuster, Wooden Bones, is due out in the summer of 2012. His short stories have appeared in dozens of popular magazines and anthologies. He lives i ...more
More about Scott William Carter...
The Dragon of the Dolomites Shatterboy The Dinosaur Diaries and Other Tales Across Space and Time - "The Time Traveler's Wife" President Jock, Vice President Geek A Desperate Place for Dying (A Garrison Gage Mystery)