Start by marking “These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)

These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  38,491 Ratings  ·  5,758 Reviews
Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive – alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.

The Starbound Trilogy: Three w
Published December 10th 2013 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about These Broken Stars, please sign up.

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
68th out of 1,520 books — 10,834 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
8th out of 513 books — 2,461 voters

More lists with this book...

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 20, 2015 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it really liked it
This book was SO GOOD. Not what I expected it to be at all! I'm excited to discuss this at the booksplosion live show. :)
Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 19, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it
I loved the characters and their romance, and the mystery kept me flipping through the pages! Some aspects of the ending had me scratching my head a little, but overall I still really enjoyed this and I can't wait to read the next book in this world!
Christine Riccio
Feb 27, 2015 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
This is more of a 3.7 for me - i enjoyed it but i'm not crazy about it, here's my full booktak/review: http://youtu.be/ZD-m6fhRfhA =)
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Here's what you need to know:

-- This story is incredibly original, and unlike any other scifi book I've ever read before. Leaps and bounds above most YA science fiction for sure, and with an interesting mood/tone that you don't often find in this genre.

-- Much of the book is also a survival story, so if you like that sort of thing (as I do!), this one will probably interest you.

-- The writing is terrific. Don't let the "Titanic in space" idea fool you; while technically true (and a spe
Emily May
Dec 30, 2013 Emily May rated it did not like it
I am crazy minority lady :(

Let me break down my thought process on this book from the very first time I noticed it on goodreads because somewhere along the way something went really really wrong. Just a quick scroll down the GR page and I can see all my friends' ratings of five or four stars... but the attraction is lost on me.

1) The description appears on goodreads. We are promised science fiction and space and "a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain". A setting in space, a story
Navessa
Oct 03, 2015 Navessa rated it it was amazing

Boom. Five stars.

You know why? Because I enjoyed the shit out of this book.

You want a detailed breakdown of what happens in it?

Look elsewhere.

You want me to tell you how fucking gloriously understated yet wholly satisfying this world building was?

Too bad.

You want to know why I started losing my mind 70% in?

HOW'S IT FEEL TO WANT?

This book is everything that makes me keep coming back to the YA category. Because sometimes, sometimes an author does it right. Kaufman and Spooner did it right.
Kat Kennedy
I can't review this yet. I quite liked it, yet don't know how to describe it.

I know I read it instead of doing Buzz Worthy News, which is a big no-no for me. But I just couldn't help myself. And whilst I won't give anything away, I finished it like I had a spell over me.

Dreamy
"It was nice, ya know? Just real nice..."

Review to come closer to release date.
Khanh (the Grinch)
This is a wilderness waiting to swallow me; I’d barely make a dent trying to fight it. There are no rules for me to learn, no points to be scored, no bluffs to be called. This is a hell I’ve never imagined.
And I think I’m going to die here.
A lot of people have been calling this an intergalactic Titanic, and while there are certain similarities, particularly in the beginning of the book, the parallels to that doomed cruise liner ends there. I really liked this book. This is a beautifully writte
Lola  Reviewer
I probably read the wrong book.

That cover…that blurb…that promising romance…

A DNF. At 49%.

description

I wanted so bad to enjoy this in order to buy it in hardcover and have it in my library and admire it day and night. (Very slightly exaggerating.) The thing is, I am not one to buy books only for their beautiful cover. I have to like (of preference love) the actual story.

Except for the writing, nothing worked for me.

The pacing had such a slow speed that I just couldn’t continue. I always waiting for somethi
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jan 11, 2014 Christina (Ensconced in Lit) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
I won a copy of this ARC from Disney Publishers, and I haven't gotten a chance to read it until now. What a mistake. This is by far my favorite YA read from 2013.

These Broken Stars, written by the duo Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, takes us to space aboard a massive luxury ship, similar to the Titanic. We immediately meet our two main characters-- Tarver, a solider, and Lilac, the daughter of the richest and most powerful man in the universe. Right away, something happens to the ship, and the
"That's All" Ash
Apr 02, 2014 "That's All" Ash rated it liked it
Shelves: ehh
Good job, Disney!

4-star book.

2-star ending.

Kind of like Miley Cyrus.

photo tumblr_inline_mvgcy21D5U1s294hr.gif

It’s a futuristic sci/fi fantasy book. And the rudiment of the story is that the richest girl in the galaxy gets stranded on a planet with a military boy. So, we’ve all read this story before, right? It’s one that has been done over and over and over again. But the thing with These Broken Stars is that there’s actually a lot of originality in this book! It’s co-written by two brilliant ladies, Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Molli Moran
** Look for my tour stop (hosted by The Midnight Garden) on the blog on 11/25/13 and a chance to enter an awesome THESE BROKEN STARS giveaway! **

5 stars simply isn't enough. Terrific world-building, heart-stopping action, poignant romance, and two of the best written characters I've ever come across.

OR IN GIFS TO EXPRESS MY FEEEEEEEELS:

THESE BROKEN STARS = TITANIC in space. Thus, Tarver = Jack Dawson, and Lilac = Rose.

Let's meet Lilac, aboard the Icarus:

This is Lilac at the beginning of THES
Ariana
This book reminds me why I love reading so much.

...How trilling it is to dive into a new story, a new world, new lives and new adventures that leave me breathless every time!

This was such an unusual & original story! I have nothing to measure it against. It was nothing like I thought it would be. The world building is awesome, the action is trilling, the characters are strong and determined, the turnarounds made me tear a bit and the ending left me full of hope.

THESE BROKEN STARS tells a
Sasha Alsberg
Nov 09, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing
an amazing, truly amazing book
Giselle
Nov 13, 2013 Giselle rated it really liked it
Guys! This is not a story about a girl flying in space in a dress! That's only in the first chapter. I swear!

Actually, most of this book is a survival story. After a crash land on an anonymous planet, Tarver and Lilac have to find a way to get along and stay alive amongst the wild animals and Lilac's questionable state of mind. It's not a fast paced read, but rather a slow trek on this mysterious planet full of whispers, visions, ghosts, and other bizarre happenings. This is what keeps it comple
Mara
Dec 08, 2015 Mara rated it it was amazing
This book though. These Broken Stars was most definitely my most anticipated release of 2013, with that cover luring me in like sirens do sailors at sea ever since its release announcement. I mean, that cover is probably the most beautiful thing I had seen all year. It has the perfect space odyssey/mythology ratio that just did it for me even way before I knew what the whole story was about. I was so, so happy when These Broken Stars became everything I had hoped for. I finished it in three hour ...more
Reynita Maharani
4.5 Stars

Actually, last year I read a few pages of this book but I did not understand because my English wasn't really good that time so I decided to read another book that I understood.
and then 13 days ago I started reading this book again because I didn't know what to read except this book.
I thought this book would be weird and boring because everytime I think the book will be great, then it will turn out to be boring. But I wronged this time, very very wronged.
I enjoyed this book so much!! I
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread 1/13/16: I don't think re-reading this after Illuminae was a good idea because no other sci-fi book will ever live up for me now. Either way though this was still mega entertaining and I can't wait to finally carry on with the series !

Original review 1/6/15: This book. Oh my god. Drowning in a puddle of my feels for all of eternity
Vane J.
Aug 04, 2015 Vane J. rated it did not like it
DNF at 51%

God, I can't do this to myself. I kept telling myself I must have been reading the wrong book, because EVERYONE loved this, but... I just can't see why.

Many reviewers have described this as Titanic in space, and that is a great description. Thing is, this is a love story. That's all. The first time Tarver sees Lilac, he thinks she's the most beautiful girl there, and it only gets more cheesy and cliched the more I read. Ugh.

When I got to the 50% mark I stopped and asked myself: Why am
Mandy K
Jun 03, 2015 Mandy K rated it it was amazing
Full Review

Part Titanic in space, part I Shouldn't Be Alive and part Doctor Who/The Twilight Zone, this is a sci-fi/fantasy/survivor story/romance all in one and I loved it! We start out on the glamourous Icarus, and have just enough time to get a taste for the gigantic luxury spaceliner when she is yanked from hyberspace and sucked into an unknown planets gravity. Our main characters Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merenderson end up in a crew escape pod and just barely survive the crash down to the pl
Beth
Sep 24, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
Absolutely brilliant. This is the sci fi I've been waiting for! Action, romance, twists and turns--this book has it all!
Regan
Mar 13, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
whhhaaaaaaaaattttttttt.......?
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
I JUST HAVE ONE WORD FOR THIS BOOK: SPELLBINDING!!!!!!!

But I just want to know one thing?? WHY is THIS SHATTERED WORLD not about my Lilac and Tarver???? HUH??? ANSWER ME???

description

5 Sizzling Stars

THESE BROKEN STARS was a sweeping, beautifully enchanting, epically wonderful, bombshell of a book! I absolutely loved it!! I honestly fell head over heels for this book. From the slow burning romance, to the unknown mysterious of the planet, and the survival mode that just made our characters stronger, I w
Kiki
Jan 26, 2016 Kiki rated it it was amazing
Well, this was bloody brilliant. But what did I just read? Tension and telepathy and spaceships, and then romance that I actually gave a shit about (I know, right?) and then a giant twist - a twist so twisty that it's almost physically painful. A twist so twisty, you'll pull a muscle in your back.

Just...

What are you, These Broken Stars?

[Proper review to come.]
Lucia
Mar 07, 2016 Lucia rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi

These Broken Stars is character-driven novel about forbidden love. It goes from insta-connection to animosity to love. It was entertaining to read and it was very easy to like both main characters (dual POV + snarky hero). So even though authors didn't bet on world-building, writing was lovely to read with nice flow to it.

However, story itself wasn't very addictive and I struggled with parts where basically nothing was going on. Do you ask why? These Broken Stars is more like survival kind of st
Natalie Monroe

“But who names a starship the Icarus? What kind of man possess that much hubris, that he dares it to fall?”

I went into These Broken Stars expecting a Titanic retelling. We all remember what happens at the end; Kate is a dumbass and runs after Jack, then they both get stranded and Jack freezes to death. Also, he never wins an Oscar.

But I digress. My point is, a Titanic retelling has to have at least two things: a sink sinks, and someone dies.

And guess what? No one dies. (view spoiler
Sophia
Feb 21, 2015 Sophia rated it liked it
ACTUALLY 2.5 stars
(i was REALLY torn between 2 and 3 stars on GR, but i decided to be nice. also i realized i gave 50 shades 2 stars, and i didn't want this book's rating to be comparable to that.)

this book in one word for me was meh. i wasn't feeling it. HOWEVER that doesn't mean you won't. lots of people love it!

i'm a little sad that almost everyone loves this book and i feel like i'm missing out. but i mean, i'm also not that sad because i'm sure i read the same book everyone else did and i
Maxi  ♥
Apr 14, 2016 Maxi ♥ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maxi ♥ by: Booktube
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is probably going to be my last book review for 2015 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
SUCH FUN. MUCH WOW.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Did I read a different book everyone else read? Because I wasn't expecting this.
I can definitely see why many people loved this so much but...really? I thought at least one time the beautiful cover meant it was a really good book.

The main problem I had with this book was that, character-wise, I couldn't care less.
I wasn't interested in them that much, I wasn't interested in their relastionshi
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
I really loved this book! I was afraid it might get boring because I knew it would be very romancey and that the majority of the book is two characters trying to survive on a seemingly uninhabited and abandoned planet, but things get creepy and it kept my attention.

Really well-written and I loved the dual point of view (my fave). I think I liked Tarver's point of view better, because Lilac was such a prissy bitch in the beginning and then things just get weird for Lilac. At first, the character
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Space + Survival = winning.

*cracks knuckles* Typing all of that out was hard work.

I've noticed that sci-fi is probably the one genre where I'm not always clamoring for romance, and this book was no exception. Tarver and Lilac weren't super-annoying or anything like that. However, their "coupling" wasn't what I enjoyed most about the book, so their love story turned out to be side fodder for me.

It is true though that their connection helped shaped the way the book ended in a good way. So all's
Read-along: These Broken Stars | Março 81 38 23 hours, 46 min ago
YA Buddy Readers'...: These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Meagan Spooner and Amie Kaufman - Restarting May 11th 2016 224 267 Apr 17, 2016 03:06AM
All About Fantasy!: These Broken Stars 4 7 Apr 16, 2016 01:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: merge quotes 2 19 Mar 08, 2016 08:23AM
Square In Wonderl...: These Broken Stars [General] 8 8 Oct 29, 2015 07:52AM
YA Books: These Broken Stars 2 7 Aug 31, 2015 07:35PM
Love Stories Club: These Broken Stars 2 6 Jun 30, 2015 11:34AM
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1)
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Plus One
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • 3:59
  • Earth Star (Earth Girl, #2)
  • Hover (The Taking, #2)
Amie Kaufman is the New York Times bestselling co-author of Illuminae (with Jay Kristoff) and These Broken Stars, This Shattered World, and Their Fractured Light (with Meagan Spooner.) She writes science fiction and fantasy for teens, and her favourite procrastination techniques involve chocolate, baking, sailing, excellent books and TV, plotting and executing overseas travel, and napping.

She liv
More about Amie Kaufman...

Starbound (3 books)
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
  • Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)

“Major, to what extent did you act upon your feelings for Miss LaRoux?"

"Medium."

"Excuse me?"

"How am I supposed to answer that question?”
242 likes
“And there it is, against all hope, like the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. The smallest hint of a smile.” 192 likes