Sanctuary Cove

Sanctuary Cove (Cavanaugh Island #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Sometimes love is the simplest choice of all.

Still reeling from her husband's untimely death, Deborah Robinson needs a fresh start. So she decides to pack up her family, box up her bookstore, and return to her grandmother's ancestral home on Cavanaugh Island. The charming town of Sanctuary Cove holds happy memories for Deborah. And, after she spies a gorgeous stranger in t...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Forever

Kathleen J
I had two major problems with the novel. The first is with characterization. This woman tells us what a wonderful man, husband and father her husband was. She talks about how great her love for him was. She is supposedly grieving for him--she cries at regular intervals. But then four weeks after his death she seems back to her normal self except for the crying spells. She is in a generally upbeat mood, visiting with friends, smiling, chatting, even laughing upon occasion, excited about her new s...more
Tia
This was a beautiful well written story about lost loves, going home, family, the love of friends, community, and renewed faith. I enjoyed Sanctuary Cove and throughout reading about this town and the people in it, I found myself wondering where I would fit in it. I immediately wanted to look it up on Google and search the listings for a place in town to call my own. This story is about Deborah and Asa who've both experienced loss and are trying to carve out a place for themselves to belong. Thr...more
Diana Leigh
SANCTUARY COVE is an engrossing story about love, loss and finding the strength to carry on. I fell in love with Cavanaugh Island and the people who call Sanctuary Cove home. At 38, Deborah is faced with raising two teenagers on her own after the unexpected death of her husband. She moves her children and her bookstore to Sanctuary Cove, located on an island not far from Charleston. As a child, Deborah spent summers there with her grandmother. She feels the cove, with its strong sense of communi...more
Mary Gramlich
SANCTUARY COVE by Rochelle Alers
01/12 - Grand Central Publishing - Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Do life changes always have to be so difficult?

Deborah Robinson is dealing with a new business, going back home with her children, and living life as a widow. Her husband died a hero but the road to recovery is not easy when you have to say goodbye to old hurts. Moving forward is a challenge as well for Asa Monroe who has found some healing to his broken heart in this quaint, Southern town and its...more
Debra Odom
I wish I had read this book before I read Angel's Landing. I love the story of Deborah and Asa. I think this book describes more in detail what is going on on Cavanaugh Island. Just like all of Alers' books, this is another happy ever after book. Unlike other readers, I did not have a problem with Deborah being attracted to another man so soon after the death of her husband. There are clues that although she loved her husband, the relationship was lacking: when she said she had not danced with a...more
Meredith
I gave up on page 42 after getting frustrated with the insane amount of "telling" from the narrator. Could have been an interesting story but I like to read books where the author doesn't feel the need to explain everything! Writing style also felt really awkward.
Hope
What do you do when your best friend of almost twenty years dies a sudden and horrific death? Do you choose to bury yourself in the rearing of your children? Or, do you explore the possibilities that life has to offer?

In Sanctuary Cove, Deborah Robinson is forced to answer all of these questions and more, as life as she knows it changes in an instant. When her husband of almost two decades dies suddenly in the midst of a scandal, she decides to seek refuge in Sanctuary Cove, a small and quaint t...more
Kati (Romancing Rakes For The Love of Romance)
***original review posted at Romancing Rakes***

Ecclesiastes 3 is one of my all time favorite verses in the Bible. I'm not going to get all religious but it's the verse provided at the beginning of the book. You know the one (variations and all): "To everything there is a season... a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance..."

Deborah Robinson is a recent widow who has sold her house and moved her family from Charleston to her grandmother's home in Sanctuary Cove. She...more
Jessica
The title "Sanctuary Cove" seems to capture the essence of this book perfectly. It started off very sad and a bit depressing, describing the death of Deborah's husband, which left her at the age of 38 with two teenage children. In order to escape her sadness, she moves back to Sanctuary Cove and tries to recuperate and find happiness again. Sanctuary Cove is the perfect place to do this, leading into a romantic relationship with the new man in town.

Deborah is a very sweet women who devotes hers...more
OOSA
Quaint

Deborah Robinson is a young widow after her husband drowns. Wanting a fresh new start, she and her children move from Charleston, South Carolina, to her family home on Cavanaugh Island. There she meets widower Asa Monroe. He recently lost his wife and son in a car accident. Also looking for a new start has landed him in Sanctuary Cove on Cavanaugh Island. Will the two find a second chance at love?

Anyone that has read books of the romance genre knows exactly what they are going to get. Boy...more
Bettye Griffin
A solid 3-1/2 stars. The author did a wonderful job of transporting readers to Cavanaugh Island and creating an environment to which they will want to return again and again. Therein lies this book's strength (and the reason I rated it a 4 rather than a 3).

This book had two weaknesses in my eyes, one of which was major. I didn't understand why the heroine was attracted to the hero just weeks after her husband's death, and I kept waiting for it to be revealed that the late Mr. Robinson was a tomc...more
Linda
Any review I do of a book I've "read" on CD requires commentary on the reader, in this case a woman named Nicole Small. She almost ruined the book for me. Her voice is pleasant to listen to, but she pronounces quite a few words incorrectly. "Piqued" becomes "pickant," "piquant" becomes "pickent" and the name of the poet Yeats changes to "Yeets." She also refers to Isles of Palms rather than Isle of Palms, although I guess that could be an error in the written word. She later pronounces "piqued"...more
Julie Barrett
Sanctuary Cove Rochelle Allers
Deborah Robinson and her packed up bookstore after her husband dies find themselves in Cavanaugh Island, Sanctuary Cove, SC. She has an inherited house from her family and she's rented a place for the bookstore.
Her teens are with friends and they will return to school the next week. She is back on friendly territory as she remembers the regulars in town.
She will return to the mainland at New Years and then move the family to the island.
Dr. Assa Monroe meets her and...more
Stephanie Grohol
Small town life and finding love again after tragedy. Asa Monroe and Deborah Robinson are the main characters.

Deborah has been through a major tragedy in life and she had made a decision to leave the home she has known for many years to move to Cavanaugh Island to start over with children. She meets Asa Monroe and immediately they click and despite the recent death of her husband, she feels things that she never realized that she would ever feel again.

I enjoyed reading this book and saw no majo...more
Msladydeborah
Sanctuary Cove by Rochelle Alers is a well written book that features mature adults as the lead characters. Deborah Robinson is a recently widowed woman who returns back to the island where she was raised as a child and resumes her life after her husband's death.

Deborah meets Dr. Asa Moore who is also a recent widower who has decided to spend time on the island until he is called up for service by Doctors Without Borders. They develop a relationship that is respectful and passionate.

One of the...more
Monica
I wanted to love this book but it moved very slowly and I just couldn't get into it. The characters didn't hold me enthralled like I wanted them to. The setting is amazing and I did fall in love with the island but it wasn't enough to keep me invested in the story. Check out these other reviews for a different opinion:

Novel Reflections
Peace. Love. Books.
Lisa's World of Books
The Romance Dish
Luisa
This was a lovely story about two wonderful persons. Asa and Deborah seemed like made for each other. Deborah's kids were also delightful. But I had a huge problem with the story: her husband died 4 weeks ago and she's already looking at another man? While she's still crying about her dead husband? No way I'm buying that. If Louis was a good man as portrayed, it would take months for Deborah to be over the devastation of widowhood, and her children would still be overcome with sadness, not chirp...more
Shanzae
While I normally love Rochelle ALers this book bored me to tears. I never even finished it because I was bored after the first few chapters..
Elaine
a beautiful love story of 2nd chances ruined by 2 graphic love scenes.
Laurie
Okay but probably would not read again
Kathy McC
Listened to the audio book.
Shone
Aug 02, 2012 Shone rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: avid romance readers.
Thank God for second chances,love and family are better the second time around. Deborah Robinson moves to Cavanaugh Island with her teenage children to get a fresh start after the death of her husband. Snowbird, Dr. Asa Monroe is hiding out on the Island. dealing with his own tragedy. Will the be able to help each other or will they hurt each other because of their pass. I look forward to reading the next book in the Island series.
Rflutist
Although each of the main characters have faced their own share of adversity, this is a light romantic read. The pace of the romance is believable and well expressed.

The quality of the writing and plot line is closer to 4 1/2 stars, rather than a 4. The writing is not complicated. It doesn't have to be. The story speaks for itself.

I've already purchased the second part of the trilogy and look forward to reading it.
Anne
I have read the majority of Ms. Alers's books and this one was just not as good as the others. The way the children spoke to their mother and the fact that her husband had pretty much only been dead for a few weeks when she makes all these huge decisions about her life. It was slow and there was a lot of narrative as opposed to actual conversation. Ms. Alers does get overly descriptive as in earlier books.
Carla
I feel like this book should be read either poolside or while on the beach. It was pretty good and I look forward to reading the follow up story which you can find an excerpt of at the end of this book. Keep in mind that this is a romance story while glimpses of pain, honor and a whole lot of Southern Tradition. I am a big fan of this author and I enjoyed this book.
Angela
A nice romance novel for a plane ride or to pass time. I really loved the settings. I love the Charleston area and the surrounding islands. I really didn't like any of the characters. The seemed a bit stiff and formal. I know both were suffering with grief but they were boring. I like your other stories better. Maybe Angel's Landing will be better.
Tonya Lee
I really enjoyed this book! Alers can always romance, but she is also a top writer of fiction. Debs and Asa's love was uncomplicated and what each needed after devasting losses in their lives. Now, I am not sure if I could fall in love so soon after burying my husband, but the heart knows. I eagerly wait the 2nd installment of this series.
Barb
This was slow moving, and not much of a plot. I listened to the book and sadly it just didn't hold my attention, the reader just didn't help the lack of plot either. I'm was also surprised at the graphic sexual scenes which were overlaid by a Christian point of view. Very confusing.
Karese
I read the first half then skim the rest. it was a slow read, no motivation to see what's coming next. I love miss alers and I have read almost all her books but this one was not doing it for me. I will read the next in the series hopefully it will engage me more.
E
This book just didn't interest me. I ended up skimming through the second half. I really didn't care how it ended. Rare for me.
  • One Night With You
  • Courting Justice
  • King's Passion
Rochelle Alers was born in Manhattan, New York, USA, where she raised. She obtained degrees in Sociology and Psychology, before started to work. She is a member of the Iota Theta Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., and her interests include gourmet cooking and traveling. She has traveled to countries in North, Central and South America, and Europe. She is also in accomplished in knitting...more
More about Rochelle Alers...
Living Large Welcome to Leo's The Long Hot Summer Long Time Coming (Whitfield Brides #1) Taken By Storm (Whitfield Brides #3)