Start by marking “Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease” as Want to Read:

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Based on Emily Schuman’s popular lifestyle blog of the same name, Cupcakes and Cashmere is the must-have guide for those looking to establish their own sense of style, organize and decorate their home, or throw an easy and stylish party. Organized by season, the book expands on Schuman’s blog by including DIY projects, organization tips, party-planning ideas, beauty how-to ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams (first published July 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cupcakes and Cashmere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cupcakes and Cashmere

Marilyn Monroe by David Wills"Vogue" Fashion by Linda      WatsonStyle and Substance by Margaret RussellThe Wizard of Awe by Sharon DelaroseOver the Hummingbird's Rainbow by Sharon Delarose
Best coffetable books
12th out of 12 books — 3 voters
The Secret Language of Birthdays by Gary GoldschneiderThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinA Wonderful Time, 1974 by Slim AaronsBilly Baldwin Decorates by Billy BaldwinJesus Calling by Sarah  Young
Tastemakers On: Best Books to Give
40th out of 129 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Not sure what I was expecting, but I didn't love the book - still trying to understand why she says in her introduction that a book was needed because all of this information simply couldn't go in the blog.....I didn't really see anything that couldn't go in a blog - and if I had wanted to read a blog, I wouldn't have dragged myself to the library for the book!

Maybe it's just me, but I also found the sheer number of pictures of the author in the book to be rather jarring - I felt like I was look
Heidi
This is one of those books that makes you think... why couldn't I have gotten a book deal and written this? there are tips on how to shop a flea market that include such whitty remarks as 'don't wear nice clothes cause you will get dirty' I feel like if you need to read a book like that then maybe you should prooooobably not go to a flea market in the first place. However, there are a few good recipes I might steal. The rest UBER basic
Christina L
I bought this book a couple of months ago as I am a huge fan of the blog of the same name and having read so many positive reviews and comments about the book, I knew I would love it. Both the blog and book are written by Emily Schuman who lives in L.A and writes mostly outfit posts with a few lifestyle posts thrown in. Her blog is simple and is very heavy on photography.
Emily is an icon in many ways, her style is impeccable, she has had so many fashion jobs including working for Teen Vogue at
Amy
I know this is going to sound petty.... nearly every full-length picture of the author shows her standing like a five year old who has to pee. I wasn't able to take anything seriously in the entire book after realizing that.
Victoria Moore
I could tell when I read the title of Emily Schuman's book "Cupcakes and Cashmere" that I was in for a treat. Beautifully laid-out, with exquisite photos and short, pithy text, it proved to be a delightful escape into a world I already love that consists of fashion, beauty, food and interiors. Arranged by season it also reminded me of all of the things one should enjoy about each time of year, whether it's doing something as simple as creating a wonderful bouquet of flowers in the Spring or cre ...more
Meril
Found at the library (today!) and read in about an hour. I like picking up random home/lifestyle books and magazines at the library to see if I can get any ideas from them. I didn't get any from this one, mostly because Schuman shares my aesthetic on a lot of things, down to favored shoe styles and preferred candle and makeup brands. This was indeed a random find; I've never even heard of this blog before. After finishing the book I went to look at the blog, and it lived up to my expectations: l ...more
Jessica
The only reason I gave this book 2 stars is because the photos are pretty. The content is dull! If I wanted to figure out what items I should have in my wardrobe I'd pick up a Nina Garcia book or "The Lucky Shopping Manual" (or a fashion magazine). If I cared about recipes I'd pick up a cookbook. If I wanted to know which brand of lipstick to buy I'd check YouTube or a blog. This book is all over the place, and it has no staying power. Yawn.
Nancy

This book had potential, but it totally fizzled out by constantly stating the obvious and lacking any genuine inspiration or original creativity. Too bad. For instance, there's a section about posing for pictures. You would assume a helpful topic like this would cover sample poses, lighting, how to discover your good side, etc. Instead, she advises that you spend a lot of time in front of a mirror.
Rachel Bishop

I have just recently found and started reading Emily's blog on a regular basis, and I feel like the book has gotten be "caught up" on the earlier days. The book is fairly basic , but there are definitely some helpful tips and tempting recipes! An enjoyable quick read with nice photography.
I like her style a lot!
Rachel
It could've just been titled "Pictures of me being cute, and ways I think you might want to try being more like me." The advice was very VERY basic, the tips weren't really universally useful, and there wasn't much in it that I hadn't seen before somewhere else. Less than inspiring.

But I do love the title.
Megan
Sadly no new ideas. And I got a little annoyed of all the pictures of her engagement ring - we got it you got a nice rock. The one sticking out of the jeans was the one that made me start to notice it.

Really? it's called cupcakes but she tells you to use a box mix?
Jessica
If I would have picked this up 10 years ago I may have found some of the advice useful but not so much now. It's not that the author doesn't have some decent suggestions or advice, it's just nothing new or nothing that I haven't heard or seen done better. I feel that the information presented is best in blog form which I understand is where the author got her start. Do yourself a favor, save your money and just find a good beauty or design blog. You will get better and more current advice for fr ...more
Pauline
Oh dear. I think I'm just the wrong demographic for this book. It's attractively presented and has a nice variety of topics, but somehow it just irritated me.
I'm not an existing reader of Ms Schuman's blog, and I suspect I'm older than her target audience, which I guess might be 20-somethings. And this book might still make a nice gift for a young woman, not long out of college. For a woman over 30... not so much.
Having read women's magazines for more than a few years, I found nothing fresh or
G.R. Mannering
I love Emily Schuman's blog and I had such high hopes for this book, but it did not deliver. I thought that the photos were beautiful and it is a great piece to flick through when you want something pretty to look at, but the content was simple and unimaginative. I thought that a lot of the advice was very basic and in places, a little obvious, for example, how to put on fake eyelashes and how to bargain at a flee market. I think that perhaps it was spread too thinly over too many areas; the boo ...more
Natalie Dovel
This book is pretty much just a combination of all her blog posts. It's a little helpful for those in their early 20s, just to give us confidence on haggling at flee markets and throwing dinner parties...etc. A lot of it is pretty basic stuff which is why people out of there 20s won't appreciate it as much because they've already figured it all out.
Nermisa
I hate to say this but this was a huge let down. I love her blog but this book was unoriginal and there was new content( if you read the blog don't bother buying the book). Her images and content were dated and she have simple tips that unless you are a teenage you already know. Not worth it
Nupur Vanderlick
While this book might seem like a guide on how to live like Emily, it certainly isn't undesirable. I found this book to be resplendent with tons of great tips for beginners for everything from shopping to make up to entertaining. I also enjoyed how the book was laid out - seasonally and then according to major areas such as style, beauty, at home and entertaining.I think every woman can benefit from the seasonal closet checklist and packing tips. The pictures in this book are just beautiful and ...more
Marci Stone
Cute, fun book. Went through it in a few hours. Full of advice on just about everything.
Courtney
I'm a huge fan of the blog cupcakes and cashmere, so I knew I would enjoy this book. It's an extension of the blog in that it shows how to organize, dress, different recipes, and beauty tips. I really liked how the book was divided into various seasons and that it had a list of certain items of clothes to have per season. I think I would actually utilize that feature after I'm done having children. There are really neat DIY features that seem actually doable. This book is full of daily inspirati ...more
Julia
So many people hated this book but I loved it! It's the perfect coffee table book & I find myself constantly picking it up to look at the beautiful photographs, get inspiration for outfits or makeup looks. I love that it is divided into seasons and have used some of the tips already. Can't wait for her next book!
Brittany Nicole
I love Emily's blog, but I'm not a keep-up-to-date-with-blogs kind of girl. So this was nice to have a bit of it to carry around & read. I did take some inspiration from it. I'd really like to redecorate my home. & my closet, if you know what I mean. Some of the recipes sound yummy, but I'm vegan... so some don't apply or they would have to be altered. It was a fun read. I recommend it if you're a fan of the blog, but don't have time to keep up with it. If you do keep up with her blog, y ...more
Nadine K
This is a lovely book adaptation of Emily Schuman's blog of the same name. Unfortunately, it didn't teach me much that I don't already know. If you're looking for an introductory book about entertaining, beauty and decorating, this is the book for you. For me, it will be a really pretty coffee table book.
Ky
Some interesting anecdotes for how to have style in every season, how to host dinner parties, and how to identify your interior decorating style. There were some unique tips, but for the most part they were rather straightforward. The book is very much like the blog, pretty much just an expanded version of the former. I mostly enjoyed looking at the pretty pictures, though I do believe I'll try making the chocolate chip cookies recipe soon.
Nicole
This book was basically a poor attempt to smash a blog into a book format. The recipes weren't very enticing, the "tips" on decorating and entertaining were insanely obvious and I didn't find any of the photography very impressive either. Stick to reading the blog, this is just a waste of paper and nothing that will have any longevity. I would be very surprised to see this on a library shelf in a year or two.
Rachael
This is a lovely book with some great ideas and beautiful photography. Whilst I did some find some parts interesting or inspiring- such as some of the outfits- I did find myself thinking that I would have enjoyed the book a lot more when I was younger (i.e. in my first year or so out of university), I did enjoy this book, it was a quick and enjoyable read that is similar in content and style to the blog.
Kellee
Emily is one of my favourite bloggers. While I agree with other reviews that many of the tips are pretty basic, I mainly read the book for inspirational purposes and to remind me of staples I need to stock up for in my closet (her book is divided into seasons, and it has a little checklist of closet staples she recommends, very practical). Great for inspiration, basic content, beautiful photos.
Mary Pat
I am usually a fan of the blog so I picked up the book. I will say I was a bit disappointed. Though lifestyle writing is about exploring new takes on standing concepts, I wasn't impressed by this book. I think having her biggest tip for baking cupcakes was to use a boxed mix was the most offensive--that's a tip from a lifestyle expert? I wouldn't recommend it.
Britney
Read it in less than an hour, content was lacking. Not much was original. The only thing I took from the book that I didn't know before was to apply chap stick before you put on red or dark lipstick to give your lips a stain. Love the blog, the book makes me think I could write better, But kudos to her for sealing a book deal.
Kristen
While I enjoy Emily's blog & read it daily, this book was lacking originality. Much of it consisted of repurposed content that was reprinted from the blog. It's full of overly simple tips that most of us don't need, like instructions on how to assemble a playlist, paint your nails, and pack a suitcase. Read the blog instead.
Olivia
This book was more "you should do this and this." it read very much like a command. Some was interesting, but most of it made me thin the book should be called "How to live a Conformist Lifestyle." or "How to Live Like Emily."

I am a huge fan of the blog, however this was not worth the excitement.
  • kate spade new york: things we love: twenty years of inspiration, intriguing bits and other curiosities
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends
  • Parisian Chic: A Style Guide
  • Decorate: 1,000 Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home
  • The Teen Vogue Handbook: An Insider's Guide to Careers in Fashion
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Design*Sponge at Home