Start by marking “Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  665 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Based on Emily Schuman’s popular lifestyle blog of the same name, Cupcakes and Cashmere is the must-have guide for those looking to establish their own sense of style, organize and decorate their home, or throw an easy and stylish party. Organized by season, the book expands on Schuman’s blog by including DIY projects, organization tips, party-planning ideas, beauty how-to ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams (first published July 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cupcakes and Cashmere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cupcakes and Cashmere

Marilyn Monroe by David Wills"Vogue" Fashion by Linda      WatsonStyle and Substance by Margaret RussellThe Wizard of Awe by Sharon DelaroseOver the Hummingbird's Rainbow by Sharon Delarose
Best coffetable books
12th out of 12 books — 3 voters
The Secret Language of Birthdays by Gary GoldschneiderGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsHeaven is for Real by Todd BurpoThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Tastemakers On: Best Books to Give
41st out of 130 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Aug 31, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Not sure what I was expecting, but I didn't love the book - still trying to understand why she says in her introduction that a book was needed because all of this information simply couldn't go in the blog.....I didn't really see anything that couldn't go in a blog - and if I had wanted to read a blog, I wouldn't have dragged myself to the library for the book!

Maybe it's just me, but I also found the sheer number of pictures of the author in the book to be rather jarring - I felt like I was look
Heidi
Aug 14, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that makes you think... why couldn't I have gotten a book deal and written this? there are tips on how to shop a flea market that include such whitty remarks as 'don't wear nice clothes cause you will get dirty' I feel like if you need to read a book like that then maybe you should prooooobably not go to a flea market in the first place. However, there are a few good recipes I might steal. The rest UBER basic
Amy
Sep 07, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
I know this is going to sound petty.... nearly every full-length picture of the author shows her standing like a five year old who has to pee. I wasn't able to take anything seriously in the entire book after realizing that.
Christina
Mar 22, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it
I bought this book a couple of months ago as I am a huge fan of the blog of the same name and having read so many positive reviews and comments about the book, I knew I would love it. Both the blog and book are written by Emily Schuman who lives in L.A and writes mostly outfit posts with a few lifestyle posts thrown in. Her blog is simple and is very heavy on photography.
Emily is an icon in many ways, her style is impeccable, she has had so many fashion jobs including working for Teen Vogue at
Jessica
Jan 09, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-for-me
The only reason I gave this book 2 stars is because the photos are pretty. The content is dull! If I wanted to figure out what items I should have in my wardrobe I'd pick up a Nina Garcia book or "The Lucky Shopping Manual" (or a fashion magazine). If I cared about recipes I'd pick up a cookbook. If I wanted to know which brand of lipstick to buy I'd check YouTube or a blog. This book is all over the place, and it has no staying power. Yawn.
Victoria Moore
Dec 01, 2013 Victoria Moore rated it it was amazing
I could tell when I read the title of Emily Schuman's book "Cupcakes and Cashmere" that I was in for a treat. Beautifully laid-out, with exquisite photos and short, pithy text, it proved to be a delightful escape into a world I already love that consists of fashion, beauty, food and interiors. Arranged by season it also reminded me of all of the things one should enjoy about each time of year, whether it's doing something as simple as creating a wonderful bouquet of flowers in the Spring or cre ...more
Meril
Found at the library (today!) and read in about an hour. I like picking up random home/lifestyle books and magazines at the library to see if I can get any ideas from them. I didn't get any from this one, mostly because Schuman shares my aesthetic on a lot of things, down to favored shoe styles and preferred candle and makeup brands. This was indeed a random find; I've never even heard of this blog before. After finishing the book I went to look at the blog, and it lived up to my expectations: l ...more
Jennifer Rose
Aug 21, 2016 Jennifer Rose rated it liked it
I felt this book was basic though I did enjoy the pictures. I feel like this is information I can get from a good blog, maybe even the author’s. I gave it three stars though because I did get some inspiration from the pictures in the book, even if the written content was generic.
Sunny Smith
Jun 28, 2015 Sunny Smith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who don't read lifestyle blogs
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was like a lifestyle blog all rolled up into a book. I liked the way the book was set up into seasons, but I found that some of the sections in the book were on topics that I had read about a million times before.

Overall, it was pleasant, but nothing super special to me.
Hillary roberts
Jan 10, 2016 Hillary roberts rated it it was ok
my review

I LOVE her blog and I really wanted to love this book but I did not. First I am not a big fan of vintage. I know there are some people that can make goodwill clothes look like it came off a designer rack but sadly I go into Goodwill and all I see is crap. I lack the skills to repurpose stuff so if I buy it stays crap.

She had some recipes but as I am Paleo none of them would work for me. If you like sweets and stuff then you may find them interesting.

I did like her tips on how to have people ove
Nicole
Jul 18, 2015 Nicole rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
This book was basically a poor attempt to smash a blog into a book format. The recipes weren't very enticing, the "tips" on decorating and entertaining were insanely obvious and I didn't find any of the photography very impressive either. Stick to reading the blog, this is just a waste of paper and nothing that will have any longevity. I would be very surprised to see this on a library shelf in a year or two.
Nancy
Oct 23, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, style

This book had potential, but it totally fizzled out by constantly stating the obvious and lacking any genuine inspiration or original creativity. Too bad. For instance, there's a section about posing for pictures. You would assume a helpful topic like this would cover sample poses, lighting, how to discover your good side, etc. Instead, she advises that you spend a lot of time in front of a mirror.
Rachel Bishop
Sep 13, 2012 Rachel Bishop rated it liked it

I have just recently found and started reading Emily's blog on a regular basis, and I feel like the book has gotten be "caught up" on the earlier days. The book is fairly basic , but there are definitely some helpful tips and tempting recipes! An enjoyable quick read with nice photography.
I like her style a lot!
Rachel
Oct 22, 2012 Rachel rated it did not like it
It could've just been titled "Pictures of me being cute, and ways I think you might want to try being more like me." The advice was very VERY basic, the tips weren't really universally useful, and there wasn't much in it that I hadn't seen before somewhere else. Less than inspiring.

But I do love the title.
Megan
Dec 09, 2013 Megan rated it it was ok
Sadly no new ideas. And I got a little annoyed of all the pictures of her engagement ring - we got it you got a nice rock. The one sticking out of the jeans was the one that made me start to notice it.

Really? it's called cupcakes but she tells you to use a box mix?
Jessica
Jun 02, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok
If I would have picked this up 10 years ago I may have found some of the advice useful but not so much now. It's not that the author doesn't have some decent suggestions or advice, it's just nothing new or nothing that I haven't heard or seen done better. I feel that the information presented is best in blog form which I understand is where the author got her start. Do yourself a favor, save your money and just find a good beauty or design blog. You will get better and more current advice for fr ...more
Pauline
Dec 09, 2013 Pauline rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Oh dear. I think I'm just the wrong demographic for this book. It's attractively presented and has a nice variety of topics, but somehow it just irritated me.
I'm not an existing reader of Ms Schuman's blog, and I suspect I'm older than her target audience, which I guess might be 20-somethings. And this book might still make a nice gift for a young woman, not long out of college. For a woman over 30... not so much.
Having read women's magazines for more than a few years, I found nothing fresh or
Natalie Dovel
Jun 07, 2014 Natalie Dovel rated it liked it
This book is pretty much just a combination of all her blog posts. It's a little helpful for those in their early 20s, just to give us confidence on haggling at flee markets and throwing dinner parties...etc. A lot of it is pretty basic stuff which is why people out of there 20s won't appreciate it as much because they've already figured it all out.
Lauren Amanda
Aug 25, 2015 Lauren Amanda rated it really liked it
I wasn't familiar with Emily's blog before reading this book. I was looking to read some different lifestyle types of books. I really liked the wide array of topics she covers in the book. There are lots of really great tips and new info in this book. What I like best is that all of the advice is budget friendly.
Nermisa
Aug 22, 2014 Nermisa rated it did not like it
I hate to say this but this was a huge let down. I love her blog but this book was unoriginal and there was new content( if you read the blog don't bother buying the book). Her images and content were dated and she have simple tips that unless you are a teenage you already know. Not worth it
Lore
Jan 21, 2016 Lore rated it it was ok
I enjoy reading the "Cupcakes and Cashmere" blog, but maybe it doesn't have enough substance to carry over into a book. Though this was an attractive book, pleasant to look at, it really didn't offer any memorable or useful tips.
Katie
Mar 25, 2016 Katie rated it did not like it
I don't know what I was thinking. I don't care about what nail polish color will be hot for spring. I don't think there is anything in this book you can't find on her blog or a zillion other blogs out there for that matter.
Meghan
Feb 09, 2016 Meghan rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I read it in one sitting. I have followed Emily's blog for years and thought this book truly reflected her style. Such a fun read with great fashion, beauty, hosting and cooking tips!
Nupur Vanderlick
Mar 31, 2013 Nupur Vanderlick rated it it was amazing
While this book might seem like a guide on how to live like Emily, it certainly isn't undesirable. I found this book to be resplendent with tons of great tips for beginners for everything from shopping to make up to entertaining. I also enjoyed how the book was laid out - seasonally and then according to major areas such as style, beauty, at home and entertaining.I think every woman can benefit from the seasonal closet checklist and packing tips. The pictures in this book are just beautiful and ...more
Melissa
Mar 05, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok
Borrowed this partly because of the title (cupcakes!), and partly because I didn't renew my Chatelaine magazine subscription and was looking for something to substitute. I liked it for what it is. Lots of pretty things to look at.
Marci Stone
Aug 24, 2014 Marci Stone rated it really liked it
Cute, fun book. Went through it in a few hours. Full of advice on just about everything.
Faith
Jun 01, 2015 Faith rated it liked it
This book was pretty cool! Some of her ideas I found very helpful others not so much for multiple reasons. Probably one of the biggest things that bugged me was she was always looking the same direction in every picture. She said it was the angle she liked best but I found it just to make her look weird after a while and just off. I did really like her style and décor though.
Courtney
Aug 01, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of the blog cupcakes and cashmere, so I knew I would enjoy this book. It's an extension of the blog in that it shows how to organize, dress, different recipes, and beauty tips. I really liked how the book was divided into various seasons and that it had a list of certain items of clothes to have per season. I think I would actually utilize that feature after I'm done having children. There are really neat DIY features that seem actually doable. This book is full of daily inspirati ...more
Alexandra
Nov 05, 2015 Alexandra rated it really liked it
A great example of a blog to book. Lot of useful lifestyle tips!
Julia
May 24, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
So many people hated this book but I loved it! It's the perfect coffee table book & I find myself constantly picking it up to look at the beautiful photographs, get inspiration for outfits or makeup looks. I love that it is divided into seasons and have used some of the tips already. Can't wait for her next book!
  • Things We Love: Twenty Years of Inspiration, Intriguing Bits and Other Curiosities
  • Refinery29: Style Stalking
  • The Glam Guide
  • The First Apartment Book: Cool Design for Small Spaces
  • Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them
  • Celebrate
  • How to Look Expensive: A Beauty Editor's Secrets to Getting Gorgeous without Breaking the Bank
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own