Start by marking “Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot, #21)” as Want to Read:
Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot, #21)

Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot #21)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  14,724 Ratings  ·  714 Reviews
Elinor Carlisle and Roddy Welman are the model English couple, perfect companions set for a life of ease when they inherit Aunt Laura's considerable fortune. But a poison pen letter begins a chain of events which is to end in tragedy.

Convinced that Mary Gerrard, a childhood playmate of Elinor's, is attempting to ingratiate herself with her aunt for financial gain, the pair

Published March 30th 2007 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published March 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Sad Cypress, please sign up.

Osenka This comes from wikipedia :

This comes from wikipedia :

The title comes from a song from Act II, Scene IV of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night which is printed as an epigraph to the novel.

Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O, prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Scott He also wanted to make it look to Poirot that a stranger had been there, unaware that his license plate had been noted.

Mansuriah Hassan
Jan 08, 2017 Mansuriah Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
This is an unusual Poirot series, in which there is a possible miscarriage of justice. With a beautiful title taken from Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night', Sad Cypress is often referred to one of the most outstanding Agatha Christie books, and also one of the best to feature our favourite Belgian investigator, Poirot. As the book opens, the main character Elinor Carlisle a woman blessed with beauty and brains reinforced by wealth - finds herself on trial for murder. The mystery of Elinor's personali ...more
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are on the dock for murder most foul! The awkward thing is that the contemplation of murder is not an unusual topic for you. Your surprisingly extensive knowledge of poison is also a questionable thing. Whatever is a young lady to do? Look to Belgium for succor! A noted botanist of human nature will soon arrive to save the day, and he’ll turn that sad cypress frown upside down. Will you keep your dignity and integrity intact? Or will you admit that sometimes people
Ellie
I love Agatha Christie. I love her characters as much as her plot. And I love Hercule Poirot (also Miss Marple but Poirot has my heart).

I've actually read Sad Cypress several times but the last time was at least 10 years ago. I wondered if I'd enjoy it as much this time as I have in the past.

I did.

Elinor's icy demeanor masks a passionate interior. Her fiance, Roddy, is a fastidious, rather weak man with whom Elinor grew up. He's fond of her and doesn't realize how much she adores him. They live
مــــــروة
من غير أجاثا يمكن أن يختار هذا العنوان الرقيق "السرو الحزين" لرواية بوليسية تدور أحداثها حول جريمة قتل؟

ومن غير المترجمين الأذكياء يمكن أن يُفسد عليك الرواية إذا ما تذاكى وترجم عنوان الرواية إلى "المتهمة البريئة"؟
...
في كل مرة أدلف فيها إلى عالم أجاثا أعرف انني سأكون على موعد مع متعة خالصة، أودع فيها الملل، الإطالة، الرمزيات الغريبة، الألفاظ المشينة، كل هذا أتركه ورائي وأستعد لرواية أخرى تحبس الأنفاس وفي كثير من الأحيان تثير المشاعر

اختارت أجاثا هذه المرة عنواناً رقيقاً يتماشى مع الخط الرومانسي لل
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"The human face is, after all, nothing more nor less than a mask."
"And underneath?"
"Underneath is the primitive man or woman."

Elinor Carlisle stands accused of murder. The evidence is mounted against her. The motive, the weapon, the time and place; everything points directly at the facts. And the facts state that Elinor is the one who poisoned poor Mary Gerrard. The only thing that stands between her and ruin is Hercule Poirot.

This one...might just be my favorite Agatha Christie book thus far!
Nandakishore Varma
This is one of those mysteries with an extremely tight plot. The human drama - the eternal love triangle - around the tragedy is gripping; there are a very limited number of suspects; and the accused seems to be indubitably guilty (in fact, the story starts with her trial). However, Poirot steps in with a last minute sleight of hand which leaves us all gasping for breath - with a perfectly plausible solution.

Here, Dame Agatha's extensive knowledge of poisons - a skill she picked up during the wa
David Schaafsma
“A little difficult to know where you were with Elinor. She didn't reveal much of what she thought and felt about things. He liked that about her. He hated people who reeled off their thoughts and feelings to you, who took it for granted that you wanted to know all their mechanism. Reserve was always more interesting.” ―Rodney, in Sad Cypress, Christie

“The human face is, after all, nothing more nor less than a mask.”
― Agatha Christie, Sad Cypress

The title comes from a song from Act II, Scene I
Amy | shoutame
Oct 07, 2016 Amy | shoutame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, adult
I always get that nostalgic happy feeling whenever I pick up a Christie novel, this one didn't disappoint.

When her Aunt dies suddenly of a stroke without leaving any sign of a will Elinor Carlisle finds herself to be the soul benefactor of her Aunt's estate. Not long after the death of her Aunt, Elinor stands accused for the murder of young Mary Gerrerd, her suspected love rival. All leads seem to be pointing to Elinor and so Hercule Poirot is called in to uncover the truth.

A quick, fun, light-
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
When you don't have what you must, should you feel unhappy? And can you be unhappy enough to kill? Perhaps! Perhaps not. Life is serious as it is, and it takes us wherever it may. We are just the pawn of destiny waiting to be judged by the laws of nature and fortune.

When Mary died due to poison, every fingers pointed at Elinor Carlisle, and she didn't protest! But someone believed she was innocent, hence came Poirot. Can he save the day? Can he rescue someone who doesn't want to be rescued!? Th
Laurel Young
Jun 01, 2010 Laurel Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie
I just finished re-reading Sad Cypress & I loved it as much as I remembered. Agatha Christie is one of the few authors I can generally count on for that : what I loved at 16, I still love at....well, my current age.

Sad Cypress begin with the elegant, frosty Elinor Carlisle on trial for the murder of the gardener's daughter, Mary Gerrard, one of Christie's fey heroines, "she was like a flower." Both blonde, both beautiful, both beloved by Elinor's aunt, the wealthy owner of the estate both gi
Veronique
Oct 08, 2016 Veronique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christie does an interesting thing in this novel by focusing a large part of the narration through one character's point of view while not revealing her true thoughts, creating interest and enhancing the suspense. The courtroom sections were also nicely combined, seemingly widening the field. Poirot of course 'does his thing' but in a very smart way, adapting his approach and interrogation to each witness in order to get to the facts. This was surprising since his ego is usually in the way ;0)
Penelope
“The human face is, after all, nothing more nor less than a mask.”
― Agatha Christie, Sad Cypress

Very good.
Susan
Sep 13, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1940, this is one of Poirot’s most intriguing cases. Elinor Carlisle stands accused of the murder of Mary Gerrard and the first part of this book looks at her looking back at the events which led her there. It begins with Elinor receiving an anonymous letter, warning her that someone has been trying to take her place in her Aunt Laura’s affections. Her aunt is an invalid, having had a stroke, and is cared for at her house by two nurses and Dr Peter Lord. Mary Gerrard is the daughter ...more
Andrea
An unusually set up mystery that begins with court proceedings, as the accused suspect is being tried for the murder of an innocent, lovely girl. But of course, the things aren't what they seem. As we learn through flashback, someone else must be the guilty party. The trick is now to find out who. I did not expect much from this little novel, but ended up really having a good time with it.
İlkim
Agatha'dan okuduğum 50. hikaye oldu bu da... Ne kadar çok okursam okuyayım, her kitabın tadı ayrı.
Jaya
Re-read on June 2016
New rating 3.75 stars
Nhi Nguyễn
Thêm một tác phẩm xuất sắc nữa của Nữ hoàng truyện trinh thám :)) Đọc mà không thể nào ngừng được ^^ 2 ngày nghỉ lễ ở nhà quất sạch luôn :D

Bìa sách đẹp, dù là bản tiếng Anh hay tiếng Việt ^^ Nói chung có bông hoa lá hẹ là tui khoái :)))))
Damaskcat
Feb 06, 2017 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elinor Carlisle is on trial for her life - accused of murder. Hercule Poirot is not convinced she is guilty. One of Elinnor's well wishers asks Poirot to investigate even though the evidence against her seems to be overwhelming. Poirot starts to unravel the circumstances which led to the death of Mary Gerard apparently from eating fish paste sandwiches made by Eleanor.

The whole episode starts with the death of Elinor's aunt and her own engagement to her aunt's nephew which is broken off after he
Meriana
Sep 13, 2016 Meriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
Proses persidangan yg menegangkan membuka sekelumit misteri pembunuhan yg luar biasa ini. Terdakwanya adalah seorang perempuan anggun dengan pendirian teguh, cerdas, dan hati (yg katanya) murni. Perempuan ningrat yg tulang rahangnya mampu menginspirasi cinta untuk tumbuh dan seniman menciptakan karya seni.

Seluruh bukti memberatkannya, begitu pun kesaksian-kesaksian yg ada. Bahkan dirinya sendiri juga sepertinya ikut memberikan tuduhan demi tuduhan pada hatinya yg dia sendiri pun tak pahami.

Jadi
Arati
Apr 13, 2012 Arati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie, and at first glance, this seemed to be a definite "plot twister" Poirot book as any other, with him battling against seemingly unbeatable odds. The story revolves around Elinor Carlisle, a beautiful lady madly in love with her cousin Roderick, yet outwardly distant. She is accused of murdering Mary Gerrard, her rival in love. The evidence seems irrefutable, only she had the means, the motive and the opportunity. Will Poirot be able to prove her innocence?

I
Bᴏᴏᴋ ● Oᴡʟᴇᴛ
May 03, 2015 Bᴏᴏᴋ ● Oᴡʟᴇᴛ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, Agatha Christie lovers... basically everyone right?
A 95%. OUTSTANDING BOOK.

I was so unprepared for this. Ahlala.... There is nothing to be said. Except:

And I have a degree n°2 not to throw books.
Seriously though, I was so happy with this book. Amazing plot twist. Amazing characters....
And it's a very easy read (personally speaking).
You can rush through it and finish it in a day or so.

ƁRAƲO AƓAƬHA ƇHRǀSƬǀƐ!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dina
Sep 24, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Christie gives us a good build up the murder in this mystery - a sick older aunt, an inheritance, a broken love affair, a handsome doctor….there is a lot going on before Mary eats the poisoned fish paste sandwiches (as if fish paste alone wasn't lethal!) You know once Hercule Poirot is on the scene that the truth will out. While I feel like I've read every Poirot, I really didn't remember this one - thoroughly entertaining.
Laurel Hicks
Good one!
Edward Davies
Aug 01, 2016 Edward Davies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great little mystery with some incredibly clever red herrings peppered throughout, especially seeing as, from the opening chapter, we are presented with who the killer is supposed to be.
Nanosynergy
Elinor Carlisle is on trial for the murder of Mary Gerrar. Conviction based on the evidence seems almost certain and the police are convinced it is an open and shut case. But one man who believes in her innocence recruits Hercule Poirot to investigate.
Afrah
Oct 22, 2015 Afrah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تعطيك أجاثا كريستي لمحة سريعة لكل أبطالها، بداية من الهيئة وملامح الوجه والشخصية في أثناء سردها للأحداث، دارت بنا في الأحداث قبل وقوع الجريمة وكما يراها أي شخص عادي، وما بعد الجريمة، ثم تمر بِنا على الشخصيات فرداً فرداً وتعطينا لكل واحد الدوافع التي من الممكن ان تجعل المجرم يفكر في جريمة القتل وما مصلحته، وفي كل مرة أظن أني اهتديت للقاتل أجدني مخطئة، تتلاعب "أجاثا" في كشف الحقائق وتقدمها لنا مجزءة، وطبعاً تجعل من يكشف عن هذه الجريمة هو المفتش "هركول بوارو" بحنكته بعد سماعه للأقوال واستنتاجه مع ت ...more
Fatma Abdelrahman
Jan 10, 2017 Fatma Abdelrahman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أبدأ عامي بالمُصافحة الأولي مع أجاثا وكانت بداية رائعة وشيقة جدا..
"عندما يكون المرء في كابوس مُزعج ،فإن رؤية شئ عادي تمثل له الأمل الوحيد "
بهذا الأمل المُتراقص من طرفٍ خفيٌ طافت بنا الكاتبة مع المُتهمة في أرجاء المحكمة، مُتهمة لا تدري هل من الممكن ان تتحول رغبة تُحاك في صدرها بالقتل إلي جريمة حقيقية قد تُعاقب عليها بالشنق!
تتأمل الوجوه، عساها تجد مخرجا، أو مُستراحا من كل هذا التيه!
هذا وجه رودي الذي طالما أحبته، ربما نازعته فيه المجني عليها = ماري تلك الزهرة الجميلة التي اجتُزت قبل عامها الو
Radwa
Feb 13, 2015 Radwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-challenge
Tbr challenge: read a book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit

A little confession: This is my first Agatha Christie book, and I'm quite glad I've finally started reading her, and though this might not be the perfect start but I really enjoyed it.

I love mysteries and I gotta say I guessed the culprit wrong. The characters are enjoyable, and the mysetry kept getting revealed in an interesting way. also I like Poirot's charsimatic character a lot.
The Agatha Christ...: July 2016: Sad Cypress 15 28 Nov 23, 2016 03:39PM
Agatha Christie L...: August 2013 - Sad Cypress 26 99 Aug 25, 2013 10:14PM
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)
  • Wicked Uncle (Miss Silver, #12)
  • The Nursing Home Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #3)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant, #4)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“Ah, but life is like that! It does not permit you to arrange and order it as you will. It will not permit you to escape emotion, to live by the intellect and by reason! You cannot say, 'I will feel so much and no more.' Life, Mr. Welman, whatever else it is, is not reasonable. [Hercule Poirot]” 49 likes
“The human face is, after all, nothing more nor less than a mask.” 26 likes