Start by marking “Energized” as Want to Read:
Energized

Energized

No one expected the oil to last forever. How right they were….

Published July 17th 2012 by Tor Books (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Energized, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Energized

Bryan
Oct 26, 2015 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, sf, mainstream
Good credible hard science fiction, which is truly one of my favorite genres. Don't let the science put you off, though, as it's well-explained and you don't need to be an astronomer to follow the plotline.

The setting is Earth in the very near future, immediately following a cataclysmic oil disaster. The world's oil reserves suddenly diminish to a tiny fraction of their previous levels, and the resulting political intrigue has the Russians jockeying for top spot with their remaining reserves. So
Aug 28, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
... When it’s all said and done, Energized is a wonderful example of incredibly well researched hard science fiction. However, the science fiction genre label shouldn’t put you off. Energized is a book about what could be, and the possibilities Lerner shows in his realistic and engaging portrayal of the near future are sure to tantalize you.

Read my full review here:
Vanessa
Mar 26, 2013 Vanessa rated it liked it
Shelves: sciene-fiction
You think $3.50 gas is bad? Try five times that. Try rationing. That's what life could be like starting in about two years with Edward M. Lerner's Crudustrophe in ENERGIZED.

Lerner poses a big "What If?" What if suddenly and catastrophically all of the Middle East's oil supply was snuffed out? What would it be like living in a world where energy was in short supply? Would alternative energy be enough to fill the gaps?

And what if there were some people who actually liked it that way?

The story in
terpkristin
Audiobook from Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Narrated by Grover Gardner
Length: 10.5 hours

The SFFaudio crew pegged me to read this book because the description says that one of the main characters is a NASA engineer. I always think it's funny when people specify "NASA" engineer. It's like on TV shows when you see people working near the space shuttle, they're all wearing NASA hats. Nobody does that. The description could just as easily said "aerospace engineer" and the meaning would be the same...but les
Antoine Fleury-gobert
Nov 19, 2014 Antoine Fleury-gobert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
I've got a peculiar way to read books. I start with the last 10 pages, then I read the first 10 pages, and then I peek in the middle. If at this time I still have not understand the whole book, or if it seems that reading the whole book is worth it, I continue. If not, well...

Usually, doing this allows me to choose good books (in my taste...) while at the bookshop. For this one, I did trust the summary, as I was in a rush. Why did I do that???

Ok, let's go to the book. The plot is thin, very thin
Adam
Nov 30, 2014 Adam rated it liked it
I am interested in sources of alternative, and clean, energy. A friend of mine rightfully picked up on that interest and gave me this book as a gift. I like the premise: the world has experienced an upheaval in energy production and prices due to a catastrophe that has ruined the middle east's oil supply. Alternative energy resources (solar, wind, gas, tidal, etc.) are being actively capitalized on. In addition, the US is working towards a new orbital power platform that will beam power from spa ...more
Jeffrey
Jan 06, 2013 Jeffrey rated it liked it
An enjoyable techno-thriller with some hard science thrown in about astronomy and NASA systems. It was a pretty quick read once I got into it and would recommend it.
James Cox
Dec 19, 2015 James Cox rated it it was amazing
Heavy sci fi but I loved it! This book was awesome which is why I devoured it page by page.
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jun 08, 2016 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it liked it
Read Ng
Jun 28, 2015 Read Ng rated it liked it
The first third was heavy on the science. I loved it. But it was a long setup for the story. It did little to develop the characters and did even less to set up the good versus evil portion of the conflict.

I did not really care why some of the actors did what they did. I find that the author - Lerner, works with Larry Niven, another author that I admire for the hard science aspects of his work.

Less than good character development. It is also a bit too pro America and anti-Russia. Well, you have
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review by John posted on Layers of Thought.

An exciting futuristic techno thriller – how can an asteroid racing towards Earth be used to help solve the world’s desperate energy crisis?

About: In the near future a catastrophe has left a large part of the world’s remaining oil reserves radioactive and unusable, plunging the Middle East into chaos and wrecking much of the world’s economy. Russia is left as the last major power able to export oil and gas, and it’s determined to exploit that n
William Bentrim
Oct 23, 2012 William Bentrim rated it really liked it
Energized by Edward M. Lerner

This book was flat out scary. The plot could be pulled from current events. This details the international subterfuge that forces the United States and most of the world into an increased state of energy dependency.
I think one of the things that I found most frightening about this book was its plausibility. Every presidential candidates that I can remember as promised us energy independence. This book explores the premise of the opposite happening.
The protagonists
University of Chicago Magazine
Edward M. Lerner, MBA'82
Author

No one expected the oil to last forever. How right they were….

A geopolitical miscalculation tainted the world's major oil fields with radioactivity and plunged the Middle East into chaos. Any oil that remains usable is more prized than ever. No one can build solar farms, wind farms, and electric cars quickly enough to cope. The few countries still able to export oil and natural gas -- Russia chief among them -- have a stranglehold on the world economy.

And then, from
Sarah Smithers
I read this because some other Goodreads reader who is an actual NASA scientist said it was more believable than another book I read and liked...
Well, let's just say that I won't be taking any more of her recommendations. I thought this was pretty far fetched, boring and silly. (oh, it was The Martian...I fucking loved that book. Was it believable? Don't know, don't care, it was a much more fun ride)
This one had the time honored trope of throwing in a Dr Smith to ruin good plans for the bad old
Clay Kallam
Aug 30, 2016 Clay Kallam rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
“Energized” (Tor, $27.99, 333 pages) is an old-fashioned, hard-science scifi book. Luckily, the science isn’t off-the-charts hard (some astronomy, engineering and such), but sadly, the old-fashioned applies to the writing style. In fact, it seems like Edward M. Lerner missed all those writing seminars that emphasized show not tell, because he keeps telling us how cool his main characters are, but neither of them ever really comes to life.

In fact, almost all the characters are pretty bloodless, w
Veronica
May 28, 2015 Veronica rated it liked it
This is an easy to read, entertaining novel with excellent characters and a fast moving plot. The theme of creating a new energy source is well researched and combined with interest from opposing forces makes for a a potential global disaster.
Susan Henn
Sep 25, 2012 Susan Henn rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
9/2012 A great book for keeping me awake in the car. When the Middle Eastern oil reserves are ruined with radioactive contamination at the hand of terrorists, Russia reasserts its power by charging exorbitant prices for its oil. The rest of the world races towards alternate energy including bringing an asteroid into orbit around earth. The plan is for the solar panels on the asteroid to collect energy to be beamed to earth. All goes well until… plots and more plots, plus romance, danger, and adv ...more
Brian Layman
Apr 25, 2013 Brian Layman rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Not a bad story. It didn't go at all where I was expecting. I was expecting a much more sci-fi direction than it took, but that's just fine. This was more science than science fiction, which is just fine. With a harder science background, it's a good near future thriller story, with everything based upon technology within our reach today.
Cheam Baker
Sep 09, 2012 Cheam Baker rated it it was amazing
Well written sci-Fi. Character development is believable. Obviously a lot of careful thought and research went into this novel. Definately a gentle reach forward as a futurist but nothing too far. Current social and cultural references drew smiles throughout as the author offered experiential connections for the reader. Good read!
Rich Van Ollefen
Oct 13, 2012 Rich Van Ollefen rated it really liked it
A nice bit of hard science fiction with good some good action in a spy/conspiracy genre. Story is near-future after terrorist action makes middle east oil unusable. It is told from multi-character viewpoints, takes just a short bit to work out who is who in the set-up portion of the story, then its smooth sailing.
Dave
Nov 12, 2012 Dave rated it liked it
Pretty good techno-thriller. As all the makings to be a great movie too. Believable technology, some of which exists today, some of which isn't too far out in the future. Plot line didn't have too much in terms of twists but was an overall enjoyable read. I blazed through this one over the weekend :)
David
Sep 25, 2012 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm 120 pages in to this novel and I'm frustrated.

So far it's been about boring dour people complaining about being in even more boring and dull meetings and conferences. 120 pages of boring meetings! Not a good way to start a book.

Seems I've decided not to return to this book.
Steve
Apr 13, 2013 Steve rated it it was ok
Pessimistic, depressing, and jingoistic. The first half is mostly made up of meetings. The second half has some action, but too many characters, most of which the reader has no reason to sympathize with. The ending, rather than being climactic, is addressed in an extended epilogue.
Andy Bulkley
Oct 22, 2012 Andy Bulkley rated it really liked it
This was the first Ed Lerner book I have read. It was well put together. The science made sense. It was a good story, with characters that were likable, or dislikable, depending on there role. I will read more of Ed Lerner's books.
Kyle
Jun 22, 2016 Kyle rated it liked it
Science fiction with a lean towards science is not the norm for the genre but this book has it. While the story is a bit predictable it does not significantly detract from the enjoyment of this realistic near future read.
Sabion
Jul 25, 2012 Sabion rated it really liked it
Imaginative near future Sci-Fi. The science felt believable and the world that Mr. Lerner created felt real. The characters were thin at times but the story of adventure in space kept me turning the pages.
Janice Riley
Mar 25, 2013 Janice Riley rated it liked it
Sci Fi, technological futuristic fun.
Off the norm of what I usually read but definitely suspenseful and edgy.
Richard
Jan 22, 2015 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Some good science, some politics, some intrigue.
theelfqueen
Aug 03, 2012 theelfqueen rated it really liked it
Read this in Analog -- loved it!
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • The Immortality Factor
  • The Highest Frontier
  • The Devil's Nebula
  • Wolf's Empire: Gladiator
  • Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)
  • A User's Guide to the Universe: Surviving the Perils of Black Holes, Time Paradoxes, and Quantum Uncertainty
  • Inside a Silver Box: A Novel
  • The Night Sessions
  • Virga: Cities of the Air (Virga, #1.2)
  • The Song of Synth
  • Crash
  • The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles, #1)
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • Broken Universe (Universe, #2)
  • The Most Dangerous Man in America: The Making of Douglas MacArthur
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
I'm a physicist and computer scientist (among other things). After thirty years in industry, working at every level from individual technical contributor to senior vice president, I now write full-time. Mostly I write science fiction and techno-thrillers, now and again throwing in a straight science or technology article.
More about Edward M. Lerner...