Start by marking “Energized” as Want to Read:
Energized

Energized

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  20 reviews
No one expected the oil to last forever. How right they were….

A geopolitical miscalculation tainted the world’s major oil fields with radioactivity and plunged the Middle East into chaos. Any oil that remains usable is more prized than ever. No one can build solar farms, wind farms, and electric cars quickly enough to cope. The few countries still able to export oil and n
Published July 17th 2012 by Tor Books (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Energized, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Energized

... When it’s all said and done, Energized is a wonderful example of incredibly well researched hard science fiction. However, the science fiction genre label shouldn’t put you off. Energized is a book about what could be, and the possibilities Lerner shows in his realistic and engaging portrayal of the near future are sure to tantalize you.

Read my full review here:
Vanessa
You think $3.50 gas is bad? Try five times that. Try rationing. That's what life could be like starting in about two years with Edward M. Lerner's Crudustrophe in ENERGIZED.

Lerner poses a big "What If?" What if suddenly and catastrophically all of the Middle East's oil supply was snuffed out? What would it be like living in a world where energy was in short supply? Would alternative energy be enough to fill the gaps?

And what if there were some people who actually liked it that way?

The story in
terpkristin
Audiobook from Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Narrated by Grover Gardner
Length: 10.5 hours

The SFFaudio crew pegged me to read this book because the description says that one of the main characters is a NASA engineer. I always think it's funny when people specify "NASA" engineer. It's like on TV shows when you see people working near the space shuttle, they're all wearing NASA hats. Nobody does that. The description could just as easily said "aerospace engineer" and the meaning would be the same...but les
Jeffrey
An enjoyable techno-thriller with some hard science thrown in about astronomy and NASA systems. It was a pretty quick read once I got into it and would recommend it.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review by John posted on Layers of Thought.

An exciting futuristic techno thriller – how can an asteroid racing towards Earth be used to help solve the world’s desperate energy crisis?

About: In the near future a catastrophe has left a large part of the world’s remaining oil reserves radioactive and unusable, plunging the Middle East into chaos and wrecking much of the world’s economy. Russia is left as the last major power able to export oil and gas, and it’s determined to exploit that n
William Bentrim
Energized by Edward M. Lerner

This book was flat out scary. The plot could be pulled from current events. This details the international subterfuge that forces the United States and most of the world into an increased state of energy dependency.
I think one of the things that I found most frightening about this book was its plausibility. Every presidential candidates that I can remember as promised us energy independence. This book explores the premise of the opposite happening.
The protagonists
University of Chicago Magazine
Edward M. Lerner, MBA'82
Author

No one expected the oil to last forever. How right they were….

A geopolitical miscalculation tainted the world's major oil fields with radioactivity and plunged the Middle East into chaos. Any oil that remains usable is more prized than ever. No one can build solar farms, wind farms, and electric cars quickly enough to cope. The few countries still able to export oil and natural gas -- Russia chief among them -- have a stranglehold on the world economy.

And then, from
Clay
“Energized” (Tor, $27.99, 333 pages) is an old-fashioned, hard-science scifi book. Luckily, the science isn’t off-the-charts hard (some astronomy, engineering and such), but sadly, the old-fashioned applies to the writing style. In fact, it seems like Edward M. Lerner missed all those writing seminars that emphasized show not tell, because he keeps telling us how cool his main characters are, but neither of them ever really comes to life.

In fact, almost all the characters are pretty bloodless, w
Susan Henn
9/2012 A great book for keeping me awake in the car. When the Middle Eastern oil reserves are ruined with radioactive contamination at the hand of terrorists, Russia reasserts its power by charging exorbitant prices for its oil. The rest of the world races towards alternate energy including bringing an asteroid into orbit around earth. The plan is for the solar panels on the asteroid to collect energy to be beamed to earth. All goes well until… plots and more plots, plus romance, danger, and adv ...more
Brian Layman
Not a bad story. It didn't go at all where I was expecting. I was expecting a much more sci-fi direction than it took, but that's just fine. This was more science than science fiction, which is just fine. With a harder science background, it's a good near future thriller story, with everything based upon technology within our reach today.
Cheam Baker
Well written sci-Fi. Character development is believable. Obviously a lot of careful thought and research went into this novel. Definately a gentle reach forward as a futurist but nothing too far. Current social and cultural references drew smiles throughout as the author offered experiential connections for the reader. Good read!
Rich Van Ollefen
A nice bit of hard science fiction with good some good action in a spy/conspiracy genre. Story is near-future after terrorist action makes middle east oil unusable. It is told from multi-character viewpoints, takes just a short bit to work out who is who in the set-up portion of the story, then its smooth sailing.
Dave
Pretty good techno-thriller. As all the makings to be a great movie too. Believable technology, some of which exists today, some of which isn't too far out in the future. Plot line didn't have too much in terms of twists but was an overall enjoyable read. I blazed through this one over the weekend :)
David
I'm 120 pages in to this novel and I'm frustrated.

So far it's been about boring dour people complaining about being in even more boring and dull meetings and conferences. 120 pages of boring meetings! Not a good way to start a book.

Seems I've decided not to return to this book.
Steve
Pessimistic, depressing, and jingoistic. The first half is mostly made up of meetings. The second half has some action, but too many characters, most of which the reader has no reason to sympathize with. The ending, rather than being climactic, is addressed in an extended epilogue.
Andy Bulkley
This was the first Ed Lerner book I have read. It was well put together. The science made sense. It was a good story, with characters that were likable, or dislikable, depending on there role. I will read more of Ed Lerner's books.
Sabion
Imaginative near future Sci-Fi. The science felt believable and the world that Mr. Lerner created felt real. The characters were thin at times but the story of adventure in space kept me turning the pages.
Janice Riley
Sci Fi, technological futuristic fun.
Off the norm of what I usually read but definitely suspenseful and edgy.
theelfqueen
Read this in Analog -- loved it!
Antoine Fleury-gobert
Antoine Fleury-gobert marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Read Ng
Read Ng marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Doug Walsworth
Doug Walsworth marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Francisco J.
Francisco J. marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Valentin
Valentin marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • The Highest Frontier
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • The Immortality Factor
  • A User's Guide to the Universe: Surviving the Perils of Black Holes, Time Paradoxes, and Quantum Uncertainty
  • Gardens of the Sun
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • Hellhole (Hellhole, #1)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • The Most Dangerous Man in America: The Making of Douglas MacArthur
  • When Diplomacy Fails
  • Virga: Cities of the Air (Virga, #1.2)
  • The Sea Thy Mistress (The Edda of Burdens, #3)
  • The Just City
  • Home Fires
  • Flight of the Eagle
  • The Night Sessions
  • Vale of Stars
I'm a physicist and computer scientist (among other things). After thirty years in industry, working at every level from individual technical contributor to senior vice president, I now write full-time. Mostly I write science fiction and techno-thrillers, now and again throwing in a straight science or technology article.
More about Edward M. Lerner...
The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories Small Miracles Fools' Experiments Moonstruck Probe