Start by marking “The £1,000,000 Bank Note” as Want to Read:
The £1,000,000 Bank Note

Mark Twain

The £1,000,000 Bank Note

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the 1850s, a young American finds himself in London by chance. He is penniless, and yet he leads the luxurious life of a millionaire. How can he do this? it's all thanks to a bizarre bet, made by two eccentric gentlemen.
Published 2003 by Black Cat publishing (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about The £1,000,000 Bank Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The £1,000,000 Bank Note

Prashant
Have anyone heard of the saying "To get a loan you first need to prove that you don't need one" ?

This story by Twain emphasizes this fact more than ever.

I was waiting for some ironical situation to emerge or some tragedy to befall the protagonist. But it never happened.

Twain could have gained some brownie points by providing some more twists and turns. The ending is a little drab for a reader who has been hooked for the entire story just to see how things would pan out in the end.

An ironical
Mourin Kibtia
I think this is one of the best stories of Mark Twain. This book totally represented his writing style.It has humor, intelligence, bits of suspense and a happy ending with a funny shock. No one will feel bad after reading this book unless of course you are envied by the fact that yo u were not that man! But I think anyone can enjoy this book. Though it does have a few little unbelievable parts like, why would those two brothers give that note to a stranger just for betting issues. But as it is f ...more
Jacob Goldman
In my class we read the radio play version of The One Million Pound Bank Note. I thought it was actually pretty good. I read some of Mark Twain's books,and this is one of his most famous, and it is one of my favorites. You never saw a person that has really doesn't have a job, and only has a one thousand bank note from somebody. I like this book because first it started to be a really little thing, but now he's getting free stuff with big money. Because back in the day no one knows that he has a ...more
Elisabeth
Titres français: Un majestueux fossile littéraire
Un pari de milliardaire (qui donne le titre anglais)
La télégraphie mentale

Il s'agit de trois nouvelles humoristiques écrites en 1893, rassemblée en une petite plaquette.

Thème: la médecine (fossile), la chance (pari) et le paranormal (télégraphie).

Résumé:
1) Un majestueux fossile littéraire est une critique cynique des remèdes trouvés dans un vieux livre de médecine. La dernière phrase explique tout: « Quoi qu'il en soit, mieux vaut n'avoir recou
Matt Yancey
This story good, though a lot of the time i found it quiet boring. A black man becoming rich. Dose not sound like much of a hooker. I read this book in class and actually found it quiet fun because we got to read out the lines of the characters in the books. very entertaining, even though the story line is not as great as it should be.
Langston Bealum
I really did not like this the . I thought that it was really sexist like when Henry says "I know that I love you. I also know that you love me" after Portia tells him she is not ready to marry him. He shows that he has no respect for her opinion but that might have been because of the time period. That is why I don't like this book.
Morgan
This book was okey. We read a story in a play version in my class. What i didn't like this book was that it had boaring places and does not have any action. But what i liked about this book is that they where helping the homeless shelter people living in the streets.
Duncan
I thought this book was very good some people in my class thought it was tedious but i have to disagree. I really liked the moral of the story. Even though I read a shortened version of it I still liked it
Natalia
I did not care for this book.I read the radio virgin
of the the play and I thought the book was boring ,because
it was out dated.
Diane
Delightful story!Good lesson about our character and how we approach opportunity when it knocks.
Kika
Dobre a aspon som si nevsimala ten lietadlovy hukot :D.
Lautaro
A clear example of how economy actually works.
Lisa
I listened to the audiobook version of this story. It had me giggling to myself in spots much like I did when I read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. This story was not set in the South like Sawyer or Finn but rather London. It was quite enjoyable to listen to while driving to and from appointments as well as running errands yesterday. I finished it up this morning on my way into work. If you've not read, or listened to, this story, I recommend it.
Jason
Good classic story from Twain. I was waiting for some twist of unfortunate events to fall upon the main character, but it never really came. Still, a good book nonetheless.
Dana
The humor in it is priceless. Albeit, this book lacks Mark Twain twists. But the fact that the gentleman survived during the whole bank-note adventure itself is a twist.
Brian
Mark Twain's works are classic, and, in this reviewer's opinion, the best that the literary world will ever see. This short story is quintessential Twain.
Jan 03, 2012 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBc Radio 4:
In 1896, a penniless young American in London must try to survive and prosper for a month as the bearer of a million pound bank note.
Namiko
This is fun. It was a surprise in the end of the story. I realized the author uses "the natural voice he gives to his first person character.
Patrick
This is actually in a collected book of Twain, but I wanted to rate the story separately. Nice scenario, but a little too cute in resolving.
Ivan Shopov
The naivete of this book would seem appealing to some people, but for myself it was a bit over the top. The ending was quite great though :)
Julio C.
De esos cuentos que generan una anécdota que queda en el imaginario colectivo, aunque no conzcan a Mark Twain ni al libro
Marts  (Thinker)
An American ends up penniless in London and soon, per chance, is offered a 1000000 pound bank note and a month to keep it...
Mary Chambers
I love to read Mark Twain's books. The history of his money problems is a sad but common theme.
charlotte Phillips
confirms my love of Mark Twain for his witty, unselfconscious skill with satire.
Piet Michael
Die Unterhaltung mit ungezwungener Tiefe für Zwischendurch.
Jan
Very good short story from Mark Twain.
Naomi
I liked this book
☯Bettie☯
Himon Sarkar
Himon Sarkar marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
  • The Adventure of Black Peter
  • Hop Frog
  • The Offshore Pirate
  • The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)
  • After Twenty Years
  • Poovan Banana and Other Stories
  • The Magic Shop
  • Bàrnabo delle montagne
  • Metello
  • Lettere luterane: il progresso come falso progresso
  • Tempo di uccidere
  • Widowers' Houses
  • Lotsa Luck (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #10)
  • The Body Snatcher
  • Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad
  • Il segreto di Luca
  • The Courtship of Miles Standish
  • All the Beggars Riding
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn