Start by marking “The £1,000,000 Bank Note” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The £1,000,000 Bank Note

Mark Twain

The £1,000,000 Bank Note

In the 1850s, a young American finds himself in London by chance. He is penniless, and yet he leads the luxurious life of a millionaire. How can he do this? it's all thanks to a bizarre bet, made by two eccentric gentlemen.
Published 2003 by Black Cat publishing (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about The £1,000,000 Bank Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The £1,000,000 Bank Note

Pramod Nair
Oct 15, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, humor
Imagine for a second that you have accidentally acquired an object of immense value, or a stash of immense wealth; a fortune that is not legally yours and one you can only admire privately; a fortune, which you cannot personally sell or encash for the fear of getting caught up in legal muddles; a fortune that will have no takers even if donated freely; then what will be this fortune to you? It will be an immense burden, right? Nah… Not for Harry Adams.

So who is ‘Harry Adams’? Well, he is the he
Loredana Adriana
Aug 26, 2016 Loredana Adriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
O povestire anecdotică despre un tânăr bărbat american, cinstit și inteligent, de origine modestă, fără avere sau nume cu tradiție, care își câștigă pâinea de zi cu zi strict prin puterea eforturilor sale intelectuale. Din păcate, la un moment dat tânărul pleacă pe mare într-o scurtă expediție de plăcere, însă vremea rea îl poartă tot mai departe de țărm, așa că ajunge să naufragieze pe teritoriu englez. Văzându-se în Londra, cu un singur dolar în buzunar, acesta reușește să mănânce și să facă r ...more
Brenda
Jul 31, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, okay
3.5 What a clever man!
Prashant
Apr 06, 2012 Prashant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Have anyone heard of the saying "To get a loan you first need to prove that you don't need one" ?

This story by Twain emphasizes this fact more than ever.

I was waiting for some ironical situation to emerge or some tragedy to befall the protagonist. But it never happened.

Twain could have gained some brownie points by providing some more twists and turns. The ending is a little drab for a reader who has been hooked for the entire story just to see how things would pan out in the end.

An ironical
Mourin Kibtia
Feb 07, 2014 Mourin Kibtia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of the best stories of Mark Twain. This book totally represented his writing style.It has humor, intelligence, bits of suspense and a happy ending with a funny shock. No one will feel bad after reading this book unless of course you are envied by the fact that yo u were not that man! But I think anyone can enjoy this book. Though it does have a few little unbelievable parts like, why would those two brothers give that note to a stranger just for betting issues. But as it is f ...more
Michael Jennings
Feb 08, 2015 Michael Jennings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Could I afford it? No; I had nothing in the world but a million pounds."
Jacob Goldman
Apr 17, 2014 Jacob Goldman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my class we read the radio play version of The One Million Pound Bank Note. I thought it was actually pretty good. I read some of Mark Twain's books,and this is one of his most famous, and it is one of my favorites. You never saw a person that has really doesn't have a job, and only has a one thousand bank note from somebody. I like this book because first it started to be a really little thing, but now he's getting free stuff with big money. Because back in the day no one knows that he has a ...more
Cassie
Dec 23, 2014 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TheMillionPoundNote is written by Mark Twain. It tells an absurd story of a poor young American man, Henry Adams, in London. Two rich brothers made a bet on him. They gave him a one million pound note that could not be cashed to see how he dealt with the note. After one month, Henry did not starve to death and was not arrested. More than that, he became a rich man and earned good reputation. In this novel, Mark Twain revealed worship of money in England in the early 20th century through hyperbol ...more
Elisabeth
Titres français: Un majestueux fossile littéraire
Un pari de milliardaire (qui donne le titre anglais)
La télégraphie mentale

Il s'agit de trois nouvelles humoristiques écrites en 1893, rassemblée en une petite plaquette.

Thème: la médecine (fossile), la chance (pari) et le paranormal (télégraphie).

Résumé:
1) Un majestueux fossile littéraire est une critique cynique des remèdes trouvés dans un vieux livre de médecine. La dernière phrase explique tout: « Quoi qu'il en soit, mieux vaut n'avoir recou
Matt Yancey
This story good, though a lot of the time i found it quiet boring. A black man becoming rich. Dose not sound like much of a hooker. I read this book in class and actually found it quiet fun because we got to read out the lines of the characters in the books. very entertaining, even though the story line is not as great as it should be.
Langston Bealum
I really did not like this the . I thought that it was really sexist like when Henry says "I know that I love you. I also know that you love me" after Portia tells him she is not ready to marry him. He shows that he has no respect for her opinion but that might have been because of the time period. That is why I don't like this book.
Cathy Logan
Sep 11, 2016 Cathy Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! This is one of 2 Twain books where the story is very similar to the story in the movie Trading Places with Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd, and Jamie Lee Curtis. A quick fun read! Some day I'll read The Prince and the Pauper which is the other book he wrote with a similar story.
Morgan
Apr 17, 2014 Morgan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okey. We read a story in a play version in my class. What i didn't like this book was that it had boaring places and does not have any action. But what i liked about this book is that they where helping the homeless shelter people living in the streets.
Kweetat Chew
Dec 16, 2015 Kweetat Chew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting fictional proposition which ends with an unexpected twist. Well written and worth a read but one needs to put aside notions of disbelief and cynicism in order to enjoy the journey of the man with the million pound note.
Duncan
Apr 17, 2014 Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very good some people in my class thought it was tedious but i have to disagree. I really liked the moral of the story. Even though I read a shortened version of it I still liked it
Natalia
Apr 17, 2014 Natalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book.I read the radio virgin
of the the play and I thought the book was boring ,because
it was out dated.
Stiby
Apr 18, 2015 Stiby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Divertido de leer, aunque me gustaría haberlo leído en inglés, pero lo encontré un día por casa y no duró ni esa tarde xD
Diane
Apr 28, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful story!Good lesson about our character and how we approach opportunity when it knocks.
Kersi
May 23, 2015 Kersi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished with the short story collection. I liked the stories but sometimes it got so complicated.
3.5/5 stars.
Kika
Oct 08, 2014 Kika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dobre a aspon som si nevsimala ten lietadlovy hukot :D.
Zainab Tayyaba
2.5. Cute ending, but nothing mindblowing. :)
Lautaro
Feb 05, 2014 Lautaro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clear example of how economy actually works.
Lisa
Apr 08, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook version of this story. It had me giggling to myself in spots much like I did when I read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. This story was not set in the South like Sawyer or Finn but rather London. It was quite enjoyable to listen to while driving to and from appointments as well as running errands yesterday. I finished it up this morning on my way into work. If you've not read, or listened to, this story, I recommend it.
Asti
Aug 08, 2015 Asti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really fun especially as a short story.

And despite my longstanding admiration on Huck Finn, silly me just realized how much impacts Mark Twain had given to the world with his many writings, including this one.
Jason
Dec 30, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good classic story from Twain. I was waiting for some twist of unfortunate events to fall upon the main character, but it never really came. Still, a good book nonetheless.
Dana
Apr 04, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The humor in it is priceless. Albeit, this book lacks Mark Twain twists. But the fact that the gentleman survived during the whole bank-note adventure itself is a twist.
Brian
Jul 02, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Twain's works are classic, and, in this reviewer's opinion, the best that the literary world will ever see. This short story is quintessential Twain.
Jan 03, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBc Radio 4:
In 1896, a penniless young American in London must try to survive and prosper for a month as the bearer of a million pound bank note.
Namiko
Dec 01, 2011 Namiko rated it really liked it
This is fun. It was a surprise in the end of the story. I realized the author uses "the natural voice he gives to his first person character.
  • The Adventure of Black Peter (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Offshore Pirate
  • The Griffin and the Minor Canon
  • Never Bet the Devil Your Head
  • The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)
  • After Twenty Years
  • Metello
  • Ferda mravenec
  • Watchbird
  • The Hungry Stones and Other Stories
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...