Start by marking “Ghosting” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
A dying drug kingpin enslaved to the memory of his dead wife; a young woman torn between her promising future and the hardscrabble world she grew up in; a mother willing to do anything to fuel her addiction to pills; and her youngest son, searching for an answer behind his brother’s disappearance—these are just some of the unforgettable characters that populate Ghosting, K ...more
Published April 2012 by Ig Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ghosting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosting

Casey
Nov 30, 2012 Casey rated it really liked it
A really excellent novel - right up there with the best I've read this year. Other reviewers have compared the novel to Daniel Woodrell's Winter's Bone, and the comparisons are apt, but Ghosting is a novel that stands by itself. The writing is so good, I found myself taking my time so as to really savor the sentences. Another thing I marveled at - there are no flat characters in this novel. Every character, however small a part they play, is fully realized. That's not something that's easy to do ...more
Molly
Sep 15, 2012 Molly rated it it was amazing
Ghosting by Kirby Gann is a brutal book.

But that’s not to say it isn’t worth reading. In fact, this book provides huge rewards for readers who can get past the brutality and harshness of the world Gann has created, a world where property is fenced in by “a parade of bones” and young men are made to cut the teeth out of dead men, a world that combines elements of the classic coming-of-age novel with lyrical writing and a cast of characters who make the ensemble on television’s Justified look lik
John McKenna
Mar 08, 2016 John McKenna rated it it was amazing
Mysterious Book Report No. 65
John Dwaine McKenna

Ghosting by Kirby Gann is a new genre loosely termed “southern noir.” Noir, as regular readers of the MBR know, is dark, gloomy and generally concerns the troubled members of society, the outsiders, outlaws and outlandish ones among us . . . many of whom are involved in all types of criminal activity. Traditionally, noir stories take place in cities, but an increasing number of them are plotted and happen in the rural south: southern noir.

Michelle
Jul 10, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
If Winter's Bone was a short sharp blow to the temple, Ghosting is a knife stuck up to its bolster and twisted slow in something vital. Terrifying, humane look at the price loyalty extracts from one crippled boy moving weed and oxy through E. Kentucky. I read it, finished it, flipped to the beginning and read it again.
LeeAnn
Sep 01, 2012 LeeAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Wow. This book is intense, sad, powerful, overwhelming, gruesome and hopeful. It is definitely outside of my normal fare, and honestly, I can't say I recommend it to anyone I know very well. But I absolutely will never regret having read it.
Charles White
Mar 21, 2014 Charles White rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Modern day Hamlet in the Rough Midwest of Kentucky. Highly recommended.
Nancy
Jul 28, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
I just lost interest about half way through and stopped reading.
Kerrie
Jun 01, 2012 Kerrie marked it as to-read
New York Times Sunday Book Review.
Kirby Gann
Jun 17, 2012 Kirby Gann rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: readers of Southern Lit, Literary Fiction, or Noir/Crime
Shelves: written
“A high-low cocktail of lovely prose and cruel deeds…. Gann populates his novel with darkly beautiful images. . . . [Ghosting’s] mysteries are its rewards.” —The New York Times Book Review

"Tthe characters are fully realized—rooted in the land and veined with bad blood—and their motivations are complex and believable. Violent, bloody, and darkly beautiful, this is a fascinating novel depicting the seedy bottom of an America in decline.”—Publisher’s Weekly (starred review)

“Unfolding with unflinchi
Aaron Cooley
Mar 08, 2013 Aaron Cooley rated it liked it
In GHOSTING, a young man in 1990s backwoods Kentucky yearns to find his older brother who went missing while running pot for small-time (but big ego-ed) local kingpins. Gann's visceral prose engulfs the reader in its rusty quarries and weedy sink holes, but a more careful outlining of the plot itself may have served him better; at a moment when the story finally starts to get going, I looked down and my Kindle said it had taken 50% of the text to get us there. Similarly, the ending is ultimately ...more
Mysterious  Bookshop
Mar 28, 2013 Mysterious Bookshop rated it it was amazing
James Cole has always been of two-worlds: the ho-hum middle class life of his aunt and uncle, and the hardscrabble existence of the lake, where his mother and half-brother reside. The latter prides itself on community, if not lawfulness, and the members of the lake always look out for each other. But when James’ brother Fleece disappears, no one seems to be able to help. Soon James must take his place as a runner for the local drug kingpin in order to get some answers. “With a plot as full of tw ...more
Mary
Dec 19, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still haven't caught my breath. What a beautifully written, yet harrowing story that I can't stop thinking about. The book started off with a slow boil, and a pervading sense of doom following the main character, James Cole Prather, who is looking for his missing half-brother, Fleece. Nineteen, a little sad and sometimes not too smart, Cole is just beginning to decide who he is and what he wants from the world. He becomes entangled with the very men who may be responsible for Fleece's disappea ...more
Kristina
Sep 10, 2014 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves:
(Gary Carden review... http://www.smokymountainnews.com/aae/... )
Lolapaige
Oct 23, 2014 Lolapaige rated it really liked it
Not the genre I usually choose but I picked this book up at the library on a whim and was pleasantly surprised.
Ivy Wigmore
Apr 05, 2014 Ivy Wigmore rated it really liked it
Ghosting was bleak but lyrical, in some places hard to read, but powerful.
Jay
Nov 21, 2013 Jay rated it it was ok
A story reflecting reality, unfortunately. Slow start but it pulls you in, like quicksand. I found myself involved with the characters even though I didn't like any of them. Some of this book really creeps me out. One, because it has some incredibly graphic violence. Two, because the descriptions of said are so real one wonders if the descriptions are of actual events. Three, either the author has witnessed some extremes of human behavior or it's all in his imagination. I'm not sure which is mor ...more
Justin Hudnall
Feb 17, 2014 Justin Hudnall rated it it was amazing
...
Nicki Schwenkbeck
Nov 27, 2013 Nicki Schwenkbeck rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more. The writing was beautiful and portrayed poetically the difficult lives of the characters. The mood was dark and you could feel the gritty world Cole and Greuel's crew inhabited especially contrasted with Shady's charmed life. However the pacing was off for me. I didn't get pulled in fully until about halfway through and then everything seemed to happen at once. I did like the ambiguity at the end surrounding Cole but the final pages with Shady sort of fizzled out ...more
Bill Abbey
In incredibly descriptive language, the author who is obviously very knowledgable about his subject matter does a great job describing drug abuse and surviving on the fringe. I probably would have enjoyed this novel more if I was not intimately knowledgable of this world.
Deanna
I really wanted to keep reading this one, but the overly ornate language is proving to be too dense for me right now. This book has all the qualities that I look for in a good read--gothic setting, complex characters with interlocking stories, and gorgeous prose--so I hope I can pick it back up again another time when I'm more ready to immerse myself.
grackyfrogg
Oct 04, 2012 grackyfrogg rated it really liked it
heartbreaking, grim, and beautiful. complex, sympathetic characters drive a plot with mystery at its heart. a tough book, and a good one.

(full disclosure: i had the privilege several years ago of being in a workshop led by kirby gann. i read another of his novels, "napoleon in rags", and admired his writing then. after "ghosting", i still do.)
Laura Ellen
Jun 15, 2012 Laura Ellen rated it it was amazing
oops, guess I didn't save my review. The thrust of it was this: wish I had written this book. Gann's Kentucky is dark, disturbing, and almost romantically decayed. My favorite line goes something like this (to describe the protagonist's junkie mother): Lyda doesn't remember so much as she free associates . . .
Amy
Jun 03, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
This has been a very interesting read. The setting is dark and hopeless and the characters are fascinating. While I've really enjoyed this novel, it's taken me longer to get through than most. I find myself almost having to prepare myself for the read. It's a world filled with despair, one that I hope to never visit.
Marjie
May 09, 2012 Marjie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book -- it's great writing, and I think the author did an excellent job at writing from various characters' points of view. It was an interesting story about a culture and place I know absolutely nothing about. There were some scenes where I felt like I was the characters -- very disconcerting!
Bill
Jan 16, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
What an outstanding depiction of the dark and cruel underbelly of rural Kentucky. Complex characters, who inspired both empathy and revulsion. Wonderfully paced narrative, with skillful use of flashback to further unravel the mystery of Fleece's disappearance.
Kim
Sep 15, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Hmm. I liked this, despite some problems I had with the mystery part. The writing is just beautiful. But it's a little ornate and gets in the way of the mystery. I'm still not even sure what really happened mystery-wise --
Jess Baker
Jan 24, 2013 Jess Baker rated it it was amazing
In one word evocative. Violent and bloody? Sure but on the scale of sopranos not american psycho. The prose is amazing, the characters and setting deep and delicious. In my humble opinion this constitutes great writing.
Lisa Beaulieu
Nov 15, 2012 Lisa Beaulieu rated it it was amazing
Goddamned depressing. Unflinching, raw, beautifully written, so honest. And goddamned depressing. I can't get over how sad, but I would not want to unread it, it was just that beautifully written too.
Ginger Averitt
One word: intense. Also over-written at times. A sad story, but quite possibly I am harder on it because I didn't pick a good time in my life to read it. Overall, definitely thought-provoking.
Lindsay Loughlin
These dark and disturbing books are normally right up my alley, but I jut couldn't get into this one. The prose is just a little too ornate for me. I stopped about halfway through.
  • Brass Ankle Blues: A Novel
  • Wind in a Box
  • Asunder
  • Granted
  • When the Ground Turns in Its Sleep
  • New Moon on the Water
  • The Hours Before Dawn (Paperback)
  • Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales
  • Caribou: Poems
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • Italian Fever
  • The Summer Isles
  • Nightingale Songs
  • The Price of Malice (Joe Gunther #20)
  • Real Illusions: Stories
  • The Summer We All Ran Away
  • A Dubious Legacy
  • Bearded Women Stories
Kirby Gann is the author of the novels Ghosting, The Barbarian Parade, and Our Napoleon in Rags. He is also co-editor (with poet Kristin Herbert) of the anthology A Fine Excess: Contemporary Literature at Play, which was a finalist for the ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Award (Anthologies). His work has appeared most recently in The Lumberyard and The Oxford American, among other journals. He ...more
More about Kirby Gann...