Start by marking “The Golden Hour” as Want to Read:
The Golden Hour

The Golden Hour

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Maggie and Andrew are lovers who live apart – Maggie in the country, Andrew in town. When Andrew is offered a job close to Maggie, moving in with her is the obvious next step. But she panics. Maggie's neighbours are living through their own crises. Henry's midlife crisis isn't helped by a plague of rabbits in his garden, but hiring petty criminal Terry to extend the fencin ...more
Published (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Hour

Cecily
So disappointing, and so bad, I'm struggling for anything to say. The first page has the ominous sentence, "It was a summer to remember so far". Sadly, the book is not one to remember.

The story takes place over seven days, and I read two of them (to page 159 of 534), so I gave it a fair crack.

It is set in a Sussex village in July 2010 and follows various couples and families with particular issues (fear of commitment, how to care for an aging parent, unemployment, troublesome teens, rabbit inva
Sue
Oct 20, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
This is William Nicholson's third book about the fictional village of Edenfield, on the outskirts of Lewes, East Sussex. I haven't read the first two books but this didn't spoil my enjoyment of the third.

The story revolves around the lives of some of the residents of the village over seven days in summer. Nothing very dramatic happens, it's just (mostly fairly affluent) people muddling through their lives and the author showing us what's going on in their heads. Most of the characters seem to be
Georgia Porter
Apr 10, 2014 Georgia Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is William Nicholson's third book set in this fictional town. I haven't read the other two but if don't think it really matters!

I really enjoyed the book. It wasn't the best book I have ever read but I really enjoyed the way it was written! Following four different relationships for only a week and showing how they all intertwine and develop it had a vast array of characters all of which I loved!

It's a good read. Not too easy but not too hard. I would recommend it!
Judith Yeabsley
This wasn't a book I got into straight away and tbh it was luke warm all the way through. Initially it was frustrating as it follows so many people it was hard to keep who was who straight. It never gripped me. Average ...
Terry Mark
Dec 06, 2015 Terry Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book not quite as much as the other two but enjoyed it nonetheless. I loved the way it goes from one couple scene to the next with each chapter so as not to get confused who's with who.I also loved how each couple had their problems within their relationships and thoughts about doing other things and seeing other people to play out their desires it kept you wondering how everybody was going to end up and made you read it even quicker to see the conclusions and decisions that were ...more
Keryn
Apr 29, 2013 Keryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: human-drama, romance
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. It's an easy read covering a week in time across a group of people in a community, and is a pleasure to 'imbibe'. On the cover is a comment by Wendy Holden on another of Nicholson's books, All The Hopeful Lovers (which I haven't yet read): 'You'll love it...so intimate, so socially spot on' - and I felt while reading The Golden Hour that it was a great description of this book too. I found myself giggling now and then at the subtle humour, and ...more
Graham
Aug 12, 2014 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give it 3 1/2 stars. It is a better than average book but not so much better.
Andrew Sparke
Mar 08, 2014 Andrew Sparke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool how Nicholson's multiple cast of characters re-engage you every time
Annie Harrison
Apr 04, 2013 Annie Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William Nicholson is a clever. The can build a drama about the week in the life of a group of individuals whose lives overlap. From the old and frail to the young, across classes, across various jobs, he lets us inside the hearts and minds of the protagonists. We learn of their fears and their dreams, their disappointments and their hopes. It's beautifully written, although the narrative voice spins around a little. There's plenty of symbolism too, literary references and insights into different ...more
Johanne
Sep 06, 2012 Johanne rated it really liked it
I couldn't decide whether to give this three stars or four because although I enjoyed it I also found it depressing in places...maybe because a number of the scenarios seemed too familiar. There were some really good lines / views from some of the candidates. I generally prefer my books to be nicely divorced from the real world and so when I started what I thought was going to be a classic middleclass aga saga it seemed to fulfil that criteria .....however it ended up being a book that made me t ...more
Louise
Jul 05, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Couldn't put this down and have no idea why I've never come across this author before as this is apparently the third in his trilogy about Sussex. So true to life, painfully so about middle age and relationships. I've just picked up book one in the trilogy from the library :-)
Sue
Aug 05, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this story of, mainly, upper echelons of Sussex society. Loved especially the likening of choosing a partner to Deal or No Deal. So true. That sums up the type of humour in the book. Will look out for more of his.
Pat
Jul 11, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good if not better than the previous 2 in the trilogy. Set over 7 days one is soon immersed in the 'ordinary' lives of the characters. Perhaps one criticism would be the frequent use of the 'f' word.
Sarah Harkness
Apr 30, 2012 Sarah Harkness rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-books-2012
I love William Nicholson's books - they make me laugh and cry and I recognise everyone in them and most of the situations. The Jennifer Aniston line will stay with me....!
Ali W
Jan 06, 2012 Ali W rated it it was amazing
Love this author - makes me want to go back and reread the two other books he has written with these characters. It isn't really a series, as the books do stand alone.
Pat Stearman
Sort of dragged my way through this one - then found I was actually involved and interested, as well as trying to remember who I knew from other books....
Bonnie Jones
Sep 26, 2013 Bonnie Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book...partly I think because I grew up in Sussex and know the area well. There were some interesting observations about life and love.
Isaw
Nov 10, 2013 Isaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i could read about these people from this village all the time.
Annie Watt
Annie Watt marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
David Norrington
David Norrington marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Mrs L S Ibbotson
Mrs L S Ibbotson rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Adrian
Adrian rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Thetravellingreader
Thetravellingreader rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2016
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Bev.Maxtedtesco.Net
Bev.Maxtedtesco.Net rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Jude Wright
Jude Wright rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Judy Jones
Judy Jones rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Cath Cole
Cath Cole rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

William Nicholson was born in 1948, and grew up in Sussex and Gloucestershire. His plays for television include Shadowlands and Life Story , both of which won the BAFTA Best Television Drama award in their year; other award-winners were Sweet As You Are and The March . In 1
More about William Nicholson...