Start by marking “Inheritance” as Want to Read:
Inheritance

Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  121,045 ratings  ·  7,834 reviews
DIGITAL DOWNLOAD EXCLUSIVE: CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI AUTHOR INTERVIEW INCLUDED AT THE END OF RECORDING!

Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.

Long months of training and battle have brought victories and
Audio
Published November 8th 2011 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Inheritance, please sign up.

Dávid Varga It is. Even if it wasn't happy, its realistic, connects well with the previous books. At the end of the book i just felt empty, but satisfied. Read…moreIt is. Even if it wasn't happy, its realistic, connects well with the previous books. At the end of the book i just felt empty, but satisfied. Read it,it is a part of the book and the whole story.(less)
Matilda Imo Eragon is the only non-boring book in the series (and that's probably only because I was so confused that I forgot to be bored, and also dragons…moreImo Eragon is the only non-boring book in the series (and that's probably only because I was so confused that I forgot to be bored, and also dragons WOW), the first half of Eldest is okay too I guess but after that it just gets more boring.

I'm not saying it's awful, but I don't like it that much. It's complicated, long-winded, and not very original. Idk, it may be that I'm just too stupid to understand these books and that they're really master works or something.... But yeah.

My honest answer: I only read the last two books because I hate leaving a series unfinished. If I could get the time back now, I probably would have chosen other books to read.

With all that said: If you like long and complicated fantasy books, this might just be a book for you. Don't let my answer scare you away!(less)

Mikaela

Before I begin this, I'd like to say that it's a rant. For those of you who don't like ranting- Don't read it. I actually happened to love this book, but I'm just a tad mad at the ending at the moment.

Dear Christopher Paolini,

How. Could. You.

(view spoiler)
Eric Allen
Inheritance
Book 4 of the Inheritance Cycle
By Christopher Paolini

A Review by Eric Allen

After his early success, Christopher Paolini set to the final book of his trilogy. Unfortunately, for everyone involved, the outline he'd written for the third book wasn't going to fit in a single volume. He decided to split it in two. I have to question why, but I'll get into that later in the review. Now we've finally come to the end with the fourth and final book of the series. Was it a good ending? Well, to
Lauren Elena
Before Reading:

I can't wait for this book to come out, but a tiny, miniscule part of me doesn't want it to come out because if it is not absolutly flipping fantastic, then I may have to kill myself. This final book needs to be better than the previous books, which is not an easy feat. Plus all the lose ends need to be tied up. I for one, am interested to see how Christopher Paolini pulls it all together.

Two things I am hoping for in Inheritance:
1. We will see some action from Galbatorix. And
Mara
I am desperately trying to think of one concise word which sums up the sheer misery of the last five and a half days, in which I had to slog my painful way through this 849-page monstrosity. The horrors of Inheritance are so vast and so many that I am unable to; instead, I find my mind reliving the pain, the awefulness, and the absolute boredom of this book. So maybe I should give up trying to express my feelings in one word - since it apparently cannot effectively be done - and just relate to y ...more
Swankivy
This is my ABRIDGED VERSION of my essay/review about Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. Read the really long version here.

So let's break format and start with what I liked.

This was my favorite of the Inheritance series. It was enough less of a chore to read than Brisingr that I very nearly considered rating this two stars out of five. But then I realized I was thinking that way based on hating it less rather than liking it more, and figured that objectively I'm afraid it still deserves a bottom
Daria
Sep 17, 2010 Daria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
June 2011 Update
Fixed the rating thing, so never mind the May update.

May 2011 Update
I do apologize for being one of those idiots who gives a book 5 stars before they've even read it. I accidentally clicked the "rate" button when I added this book, and the only way to remove the rating is to remove the book.

March 2011 Update
Okay, so now there's a release date set for November 8 this year. I really hope this won't get changed or moved around!!! I've been waiting three years for this book.

Original
The Bodacious Book Babe
Is anyone else so freaking excited for this book?! Why does it take him so long to write though? It's torture.

I have so many predictions about what's going to happen, I couldn't list them all here if I wanted to. But the main ones are:

- Eragon ends up with Arya... I don't really like her but it would be kinda weird if Christopher Paolini threw in a new girl he falls in love with, in the last book.

- Murtagh is going to end up being good! He's going to change his name and get free from Galbatorix
Ademilson Moraes
This book affected me. More specifically, it affected my grades. At the time it came out I was going through tons of tests at school, it was really driving me crazy. So one day I arrive home, remember that I have a quite important test in two days; I turn my computer on to print some information that I needed to study and then I see somewhere that the book was out. I have always been kind of nerdy, so the fact that I couldn't stop reading this for four entire days didn't make my grades that much ...more
Saga
Ohgods. The dreaded Green Brick's actually lurking out there now. And some incredibly masochistic part of myself desires to find out whether it's as horrible as the prequels. Oh Paolini, why do you have to insist on being the Stephanie Meyer of "high fantasy"?
Drakonflight
It took me forever to read this book (it's over 800 pages) but I am finally done and ready to write a review.

Obviously, this book is the end of the Inheritance cycle. You have no idea how profoundly sad that makes me. I love this series, and some of my all-time favorite book moments occur during it. I shall never forget you . . .

Despite, how long it is, you don't really notice. Riordan paced the book perfectly, so it never feels like some new, completely unfeasible stretch is being made to end t
Kasey
Update:

If you would like a chapter-by-chapter commentary/sarcastic review of Eragon and Inheritance, check out "distinctvagueness" on youtube...he pretty hilarious :)

POST-RELEASE REVIEW

Well, I have to say I was extremely disappointed with this conclusion. It was by far TOO perfect and way too tidy. It was over complicated with wards, spells, ways to kill dragons, ways characters avoided death, perfect weapons, too perfect characters, anti-climatic battle with the king, and references to other bo
Charlotte
Wow. This review.......... . . . . .. . .
Let's just say, I might have been very, very tired when I wrote it, and write another review. Perhaps a more cohesive, comprehensive one. Onward!

This book was split into two because the author found he was writing too much to compress into one book. Dude, that's because there were too many battles and unnecessary bullshit going on here. They could have easily been one novel. I'm going to summarize Inheritance with one word: bloated. There is a whole chap
Melody
May 14, 2010 Melody marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Anyone else wondering why he hasn't finished the freaking book yet?
Cheyenne
Old review when the prospective title was Shur'tugal:
Title fail. Brisingr was hard enough, this is suicide. Only the hardcore fans (like me) will even bother to learn how to pronounce the title. "Empire" would have been a great title.

New review:
"Inheritance" is a GREAT title :) First of all, it's a pronounceable, English word, and second, it will actually help us remember what the proper name of the series is! lol And the cover is just Gorgeous! :)

Looking forward to reading it :)
____________
Read
Morgan F
What the hell is taking so long? Wasn't this gonna be part of the third book anyway?

All his die-hard 5th grade fans will have grown up and hate reading by the time this is released.
Laz
My feelings right now:

Coming to its end, this series was overall amazing and made me feel so cozy and at home that I won't ever be able to part with it.

I cannot begin to describe my love for the protagonist, Eragon, who is by far my favorite male lead character. Paolini created a character and managed to make us grasp Eragon's entity. He is not just a fictional character to me, he is more, he is real and if you try to contradict me I will hurt you. This series had so many aspects to the things
Jessie
Pre- release

I have no idea why this didn't occur to me earlier, but why is the series called the Inheritance Cycle? Does that mean the series is going to pull a Dark tower by stephen king, and end at the beginning of the first novel? I don't think I can take that. I can take any other predicted or non predicted twist. I can take Eragon leaving Alagaesia, I can take Saphira dying and Gallbatorix winning the war and burning the whole world down. But if this series ends up being an actual god-forsa
Colleen Houck
Dena
Final Review: I think out of all four books, I did like this one perhaps the most. It had less of Eragon moaning and complaining and more of him thinking for himself. I guess that shows he has matured? I will say that I really don't like reading about Roran. I think any plot line that contained Roran was wasted space. Sure, he is smart at war strategy, but we didn't need to read about it and it took up a large chunk in the last 3 books that really weren't necessary. And finally, (view spoiler) ...more
Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ*
After Inheritance

It was quite disappointing actually. IT played out exactly how everyone thought.After all the emphasis on no eldunaris, it was kinda annoying when it was all they could find to save themselves! I was hopping for something like a super kickass spell or an awesome sword that could shoot lightning through shields or...never mind, but in short I was hopping for something dramatic. Everyone knew Eragon would kill galbie. Great surprise! Eragon went along with exactly as Angela's pro
Ben
Shelley
I already knew that a person doesn't read these books for the writing, but the recap of the books, while helpful, is an example of pathetic writing. What really is the role of an editor? To make sure you don't use the same trite phrase too many times on a single page? "For the reader of this book was mightily annoyed."

I'm noticing a trend that I'm frustrated with the length of most of the books I'm reading. Maybe it's just me, or maybe authors are going completely nuts, editors aren't doing thei
Mith
It was better than I expected and then some.

The good stuff:
1. An admirable end to the trilogy cycle, with a fair amount of action, intrigue, magic and dragons.
2. The epic battle at Uru'baen was skillfully done and kept me at the edge of my seat.
3. Loved both Murtagh's and Nasuada's storyline.
4. Paolini's writing has picked up immensely; there was never a dull moment in the book - everybody was always on the move.
5. I'm glad the focus was more on Eragon and Saphira in the book. It was getting
logankstewart
Say one thing for Christopher Paolini, say he finally finished his Inheritance Cycle. Beginning back in 2002 with Eragon, the series finally drew to a close nine years later with the release of Inheritance. Paolini started writing the story at age fifteen, which was probably about the age I was when I started reading the series. But as I matured, my tastes began to move away from clean, bland, cliched fantasy, and I lost interest in the tale of Alagaësia. By the time Brisingr came out--Book 3, 2 ...more
Daria
Sep 18, 2010 Daria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I think the world has forgotten this guy exists. (Sorry, Paolini... I hope you got yourself an editor, though. Or is this latest one still 700 pages long?)

What's Shur'tugal mean, anyway? I don't remember... well, anything from the previous tales. Except for a bunch of elves... and dragon-hearts... and it's all gone fuzzy from there.

Hmm. What say Knopf is taking so long to release this because Paolini is actually trying to make this good?

Naaaah.

So, anyone want to lend me a copy? Then again, I
Tess
This book is taking so.. long.

MY PREDICTIONS are very much based on the prophecy from the werecat, and a bit from the Menoa Tree.

VAULT OF SOULS;
I'll wager that this is where all the Elundari are being kept by Galbatorix, and Eragon will use their strength to defeat him. OR, dragon magic will change them into real dragons again. The latter is a bit wild, I'll admit.

GENERAL HAPPENINGS;
Eragon will storm Galbatorix's hideout twice possibly. Once to get the last egg, and another as the finale piece
Ashley
This book is an unholy mess of contradictions and swirling tide pools of unnecessary words.

So, there are one of two ways this review could go: 1) I think of every single criticism I can that bothered me while reading this book and I write them all down until the review balloons up to the size of a small baby elephant (which is a pretty big size for a review), also including the things I think it did right as well; or 2) I take the lazy way out (which may also be the more pleasant to read, depend
Xime García
Reto 2015: terminar libros empezados hace mucho.

: Pérdida de tiempo/dinero.

Menos mal que me gusta el género, si no esto habría sido un suicidio.

description

Dejemos una premisa sentada:
Paolini, sos una mierda para las relaciones románticas literarias, así que si vas a ser tan mierda, directamente no pongás ni siquiera una insinuación de romance, ¿entendido? *aparecen todos los miembros de la mafia por detrás de mis hombros* ¿ENTENDIDO?*

Con eso dicho, prosigo:

LOS PROS
Tiene figuras femeninas fuertes, lo cu
Nikoleta
Ένα τέλος αντάξιο της τετραλογίας. Δεν περίμενα τίποτα λιγότερο και τίποτα περίσσότερο. Καταπληκτική σειρά.
Ranting Dragon

There’s a scene in Inheritance, the final volume of Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle, where our protagonists spend fourteen pages negotiating a hallway leading straight to the evil overlord’s throne room and the final battle of the series. The only problem is the many traps along the way—blades sliding out of the wall, spikes shooting up from the ground, that sort of thing.

It was a boring scene, really, and it’s the perfect analogy for the entire st
Why does Eragon have to leave at all? 25 115 Sep 01, 2015 01:18PM
Book 5 21 133 Jul 30, 2015 01:40PM
Is anybody really going to care about future novels? 31 170 Jul 28, 2015 02:34AM
Please tell me if you know the period of the 4 books 7 42 Jul 28, 2015 02:32AM
Disappointed about Eragon and Arya? 384 1677 Jul 27, 2015 04:22PM
Fangirls & Fanboys: Inheratince BOTM (Book Talk) 1 5 Jul 04, 2015 10:45AM
Just tell me: does Murtagh die? 25 152 Jun 14, 2015 04:28PM
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • Fire World (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #6)
  • DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin's Dragon trilogy, #2)
  • Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Diviner (Dragons of Starlight, #3)
  • The Shadow Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #4)
  • The Last Battle of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #7)
  • Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Oblivion (The Gatekeepers, #5)
Christopher Paolini was born on November 17, 1983 in Southern California. He has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana with his parents and younger sister, Angela. The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains rise on one side of Paradise Valley. Snowcapped most of the year, they inspired the fantastic scenery in the Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher is grateful to all his readers. He is especiall
More about Christopher Paolini...

The Inheritance Cycle (4 books)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • Brisingr  (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2) Brisingr  (The Inheritance Cycle, #3) Eragon, Eldest & Brisingr (Inheritance, #1-3) Eragon & Eldest (Inheritance, #1-2)

26 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
Why does everything have to be so hard? [Eragon] wondered.

Because, said Saphira, everyone wants to eat, but no one wants to be eaten.
130 likes
“When you teach them-teach them not to fear. Fear is good in small amounts, but when it is a constant, pounding companion, it cuts away at who you are and makes it hard to do what you know is right.” 112 likes