Start by marking “The Third Gate” as Want to Read:
The Third Gate

The Third Gate

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  6,899 ratings  ·  893 reviews
En un lugar lejano y pantanoso del norte del Sudán, un grupo de arqueólogos excava en secreto en busca de la cámara funeraria del rey Narmer, el faraón casi mítico que unificó los territorios egipcios en el 3200 a. C. Su gran esperanza es descubrir la enigmática corona doble de los dos reinos, una corona con poderes supuestamente mágicos.
#Sin embargo, a pesar de las estric
Audiobook
Published June 12th 2012 by Random House Audio (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Gate

Connie
It's not a good sign when you can't recall the protagonist's name from a book you finished two days ago but this is, unhappily, one of those books. It's all about the supposed science-- the Egyptian tomb to end all tombs is found beneath the fetid waters of a ginormous hellishly hot swamp and a group of scientist in the pay of Sir Kenneth--oops, wrong billionaire-- some billionaire dilettante go to find the secret of...well, I'm just not sure. Except that it's protected by a curse and people die ...more
Lolly's Library

This is not one of those adventures that plops you into a conspiracy or conundrum on the very first page, takes off at warp speed, and doesn't give you a moment's rest until the very last page. This is what is known as a 'slow-burner'. The plot gradually builds up, clues and hints are dropped at random points, and the picture develops chapter by chapter until we reach the final thrilling conclusion.

I've read a few of the Pendergast novels Lincoln Child has written with Douglas Preston a
Mary
This the unlikely tale of a high-tech yet strangely half-assed archeological expedition into the infernal Egyptian swamp called the Sudd to uncover the lost tomb of the great pharaoh Narfer, uniter of Upper and Lower Egypt. I liked to read his name as "Marfar" because I am a fan of "South Park" and also because this book made about as much sense as the Marfar from the Marfar when they Marfar. Inexplicably, an empathic enigmalogist (you've never heard of that because Lincoln Child made it up) is ...more
Lis
Quick, fun, brainless read, but I wish Child had adapted his story to the facts, rather than changing the facts to suit his story. Egyptology is fascinating on its own; he doesn't need to have changed the historical rituals, dates, facts, and beliefs of ancient Egypt so *very* much (as he admits he did in the afterword.) Don't read this expecting to actually learn anything true about Egypt or archeological digs.

Also the Sudd? In real life it's not a hell on earth. It's a very important, very won
T. Edmund
The Third Gate introduces Professor Jeremy Logan, an empathic medieval history professor who moonlights as a supernatural investigator (where does he find the time.)

He is invited by Ethan Rush, a brilliant doctor a self-confessed expert in near-death experiences to look into an ancient tomb disovered in 'The Sudd' a horrible uninhabited swamp that forms part of The Nile that hides a deadly secret.

Not too surprisingly the tomb is cursed, and its a particularly nasty scary curse.

Child combines el
Isaac
I checked this book out from the library's audiobook collection for one purpose: to keep me awake during some late night driving. It succeeded. Thank you for keeping me alive, Mr. Child.

Not a dull book, to be sure, but not a terribly interesting one. The plot is predictable, the pseudoscience is laughable, and the drama is overdone. The main premise surrounding the archaeological discovery is creative, but hastily detailed and poorly explained.

I leave you with two particularly awful quotes that
Linda
Trapped in Salt Lake City Airport this spring break on what turned out to be a 12 hour delay for my trip, I desperately scanned the limited offerings on the shelf and settled on this. Enigmalogist! Egypt! Treasure! Evil ghosts! Life after death! Preposterous, but vivid and engaging read.
Best money I ever spent in an airport.
Michael
Feb 16, 2013 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preston-Child readers
Shelves: kindle
I cannot decide. I think I would rather rate this 2.5 stars. I am so disappointed by that ending I really don't know what to think of the entire novel.

I, like many, am a Pendergast fan. That means I am a fan of the Lincoln Child AND Douglas Preston novels. I have enjoyed their individual works just fine (really liked The Codex but I may be alone there) although they're collaborative efforts and truly something else.

The Third Gate felt like a Preston-Child novel at first. A misleading tone.

Fans
Mitch
I'm disappointed because The Third Gate ended up being a very different book than the one I was expecting, based on the summary. I expected to be reading about an archeological team plagued by curses after opening a pharaoh's tomb, and instead what I got was an archeological team being plagued by curses while searching for a pharaoh's tomb. At first blush, it's not a big difference, but when the tomb is opened after the halfway point instead of during the first couple of chapters as I expected, ...more
P.D. Bekendam
Barely 3 stars. I am a HUGE fan of Preston and Child. I read anything either one of these guys puts out (with the exception of the hideous Gideon series)

This one held my attention and entertained me. I only wish Child would enlist a decent medical previewer to make these aspects of his writing more believable. I almost didn't make it through the first scene due to some pretty unforgivable errors. It was almost as bad as a line in one of the Pendergast novels when a character's eye was dangling f
Pamela
I may have mentioned this before in discussing the Pendergast series by Preston and Child, but there's something about the atmosphere and the characters that makes me feel instantly at ease. Almost ... as if I'm at home with these people (fictional characters though they are!). Generally, I've liked each author's solo efforts as well, although I do think that they are an excellent writing team.

The Third Gate, while a fun, quick read, isn't as good as other books by Child (Utopia was particularly
Sandy Hall
I've enjoyed other books by Lincoln Childs and was intrigued when I read the teaser on this one! A mummy's curse, talk about dying and coming back, intrigue - yeah baby! Sadly, it was blah. Total milk toast, no one was more than 2 dimensional, the swamp got more in-depth descriptions than any of the characters. It felt like the author had to crank out a book to pay the bills or meet a quota. :-(
Dagny
A fun read which turned more and more breathless with plenty of interesting Egyptian pyramid lore and curses.
David
There are moments in Lincoln Child's thrillers that are oh, so vaguely similar to the last that they have a certain predictability. The ultra-secret Scientific expedition, the arrogant scientists, those looking for popularity or wealth versus those simply seeking to broaden man's knowledge... the saboteur, the paranormal---

But somehow, even using the same basic framework, Child manages to build a novel that introduces new elements and manages to keep it fresh. Don't get me wrong, each novel has
Amanda
Picked this up because it was available from the library and I was casting about for something to read that I didn't have to wait weeks for. I used to think I wanted to be an Egyptologist, but decided in college that anthropology wasn't for me... mostly because they don't make any money. Also, I don't know how I'd actually handle digging in the ground and some of the things you find...

Ok, so the premise was right up my alley but the story I found lacking. Mostly... it just didn't seem like there
Nancy J
While I wanted to love this book despite some negative reviews, I do now understand the negativity. Actually, it started out well with fascinating subject matter, such as Egyptology, archeology, and NDEs (Near Death Experiences) with the development of the different professional characters involved in each category. It was fast, easy reading, but I found that as the suspense was supposed to be building, I was losing interest because of my growing skepticism of even a remotely possible outcome. I ...more
Mitchell
I was lent this book with the advisory that it was "entertaining and an easy read" but with the sense that it was not earth-shattering. That seems to be pretty accurate. The style of this book immediately reminded me of Dan Brown; Begins with a death (or in this case a near-death), short, encouraging chapters that make you feel like you're really moving quickly, a scholarly protagonist with knowledge in a vast array of subjects, history blended with fiction, and a possible supernatural element t ...more
C.
I'll say that I like the premise. I've come to expect a certain level of excellence from Lincoln Child and I think this latest novel falls a bit short of that. There are some definite chills in there which is also something that I've come to expect from Lincoln Child, but there are a lot of loose ends, lots of things that are explained rather poorly, and parts of the novel feel very very rushed - Those are things that I definitely did not expect. The skill and experience of the author were defin ...more
Laura Lee
Close to 31/2 stars. Listened to on tape, narrator very good, don't know if I would have enjoyed reading it as much.
Pamela
Bad writing. Bad/boring plot. Characters that struggle to be even two dimensional. Surprise ending that wasn't. Basically nothing more than derivative crap. Could perhaps be considered a good summer read if you...no. There's no situation where this could be considered a "good" read.
Matt Pollicove
Disappointing. Felt contrived all along. Main character should have had better back story. The suspense of finding the third gate felt rushed. Very disappointing.
Mia
Slow and totally ridiculous. I usually look forward to Lincoln Child's books but this one was a disappointment.
Luanne Ollivier
3.5/5

Lincoln Child is one half of the prolific writing duo Preston and Child. (Their recurring protagonist Pendergast is one of my favourites) But each of these authors manges to find time to put out individual books as well.

The Third Gate is Lincoln Child's latest solo offering.

Professor Jeremy Logan refers to himself as an "enigmalogist" - sleuthing out the unexplained that may have real scientific origins or those that are otherworldly. Treasure hunter Porter Stone hires Jeremy to work on his
Diane
Excellent, gripping and intriguing plot is what I would use to describe The Third Gate.

Porter Stone, an archeologist/explorer who had sponsored many mysterious projects contacted Jeremy Stone a professor and specialist in spirits, posessions, etc. Professor Stone was not a media monger or fake, he truly did investigate curses and the unknown. Stone wanted him to investigate the curse of King Narmer which was Stone's latest dig.

The location of the dig was "the Sudd"; a primordial ooze that was
Randy
Jeremy Logan wasn't exactly sure why they wanted him on this expedition. He'd signed all the nondisclosure paperwork and they still hadn't told him anything.

His day job was a professor of history, but they'd hired him for his other profession: he was an enigmalogist, an investigator of unusual phenomena. He'd uncovered a lot of fakes, but also was rumored to have proven the existence of "Nessie" for the University of Glasgow and gotten a real ghost to vacate an old castle.

Jeremy had been signed
Kristin Lundgren
Another great single book from Lincoln Child. Fast-paced, great atmosphere, and a fun background, albeit a little improbable make this one good thriller. I flew through it, as I do all of his (just finished Utopia recently for the 2nd time and it was as good as the first time). This one takes place in the Sudd, a nasty bottleneck swap of flotsam and jetsam that has floated down the Nile, and been caught there, creating a morass of fetid smells and muck. The pharaoh's tomb they are searching for ...more
L-J Johnson
When it comes to adventure novels, you have me at one word: Egypt. An eccentric (is there any other kind?) billionaire heads an expedition to Egypt to uncover THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIND OF THE MILLENNIUM. The group includes a feisty Egyptologist, a greedy and vain and famous archaeologist, a physician obsessed with near-death experiences and his survivor-of-one wife, and our hero Jeremy Logan, an enigmalogist. Who wouldn't want that job?!? His last mission had been investigating the Loch Ness Monst ...more
Doubleday  Books
For his latest solo outing, Lincoln Child (author of Terminal Freeze, Deep Storm, and the Pendergast series with frequent co-writer Douglas Preston) shifts the tomb-raiders-battle-ancient-evil story from the clichés of the genre by moving the setting away from the usual sand-swept plains of Egypt. Instead, The Third Gate places protagonist Jeremy Logan -- an internationally renowned "enigmalogist" -- in "the Sudd," a mucky swamp south of the Egyptian border.

One character describes the Sudd as "a
Kara
As seen on Bookosaur

I worshipped James Patterson when I was younger. By my early teens, I had grown out of my Goosebumps and Babysitter's Club books, but I was still too young to read what I had deemed as "adult only books". So, in that in-between stage of being too old, yet not quite old enough, I found my place within the pages of James Patterson's novels. I can't quite pinpoint when it happened exactly, or why for that matter, but somewhere along the way I stopped reading JP's books - and all
Wingedmonkey
  • Gideon's Corpse (Gideon Crew #2)
  • The Tombs (Fargo Adventure, #4)
  • The Columbus Affair
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The Medusa Amulet
Lincoln Child was born in Westport, Connecticut, which he still calls his hometown (despite the fact that he left the place before he reached his first birthday and now only goes back for weekends).

Lincoln seemed to have acquired an interest in writing as early as second grade, when he wrote a short story entitled Bumble the Elephant (now believed by scholars to be lost). Along with two dozen shor
More about Lincoln Child...
Deep Storm Terminal Freeze Utopia Death Match Dark Company: The Ten Greatest Ghost Stories

“The simplest explanation is most often the correct one.” 5 likes