Start by marking “Under the Baseball Moon” as Want to Read:
Under the Baseball Moon

Under the Baseball Moon

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  29 reviews
BONUS FEATURE: Includes an exclusive interview with the author and original music by John H. Ritter!

Andy Ramos, a freestyle skate-boarding trumpeter, has dreams as big as a baseball moon. Born into a family of musicians, Andy wants to take his unique fusion of Latin jazz, rock, and hip-hop straight to the top. But when he crosses paths with Glory Martinez, a softball pitch
Audio
Published April 10th 2007 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published May 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Baseball Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Baseball Moon

Maddie Turner
Under The Baseball Moon is about a guy named Andy Ramos, a very good trumpet player. He lives in O.B. CA. He had a friend named Glory that moved away and he discovers out that she moved back. He also discovers that his in love with her. She likes him too. They become really close. Glory is a pitcher, her friend Kayla a catcher has a team called the RaveRiders.Glory wants to be on that team, she makes the team. Glory finds out that she pitches awesome when Andy plays the trumpet. Andy's band is c ...more
SBY Youth Services Rencsko
2007 Nutmeg nominee author gives older readers something to think about in his tribute to two of his greatest loves – baseball and jazz. In this book readers are taken to a beach side town located on the California coast where a mixture of people, cultures, and economic statuses co-exist. Here, we meet Andy Ramos – a young man who has his eyes set on stardom and wants nothing more than his jazz band to be noticed or better yet signed. Determined to follow in his grandfather and father’s footstep ...more
121jadac
THis book was AWESOME! It was a fusion of my favorite genres: mystery, music, and drama. This book is about Andy and his band, FuChar Skool getting an unexpected permanent visit from Andy's childhood friend/psycologist patient, Glory. I say friend/psycolgy patient because the woman is CRAZY, and Andy was the only person who could calm her down when she goes off. She moved away from Ocean Beach a while ago, but now she's back. This is the perfect time for crazy glory to move back because Andy and ...more
Ryan
Kym
Favorite Lines / Kym Sheehan
“Cut off your roots Andres, and pretty soon you are nothing but a hollow tree…there is nothing worse than being a hollow tree. Because music, mijo, comes from what’s inside” (4).

“The only power I ever had was what you were willing to give up” (p. 277).

“…she’d been just a little girl with a wild imagination and a single mom in a tough situation, and sometimes she got really scared. And at those times, she did the best she could”. (p. 107).

John Ritter is an amazing wr
Nick Wong
Pearl
It was amazing great connections, great plots. Even about the main character. I highly recommend this book.
Miguel
While the book itself is great for an avant sports fan, i found myself to kind of get lost with the whole storyline. It did however get me to become interested in more of what John H. Ritter has to offer. The imagery that he provided showed how experienced he was in the sport of softball itself. Which i pretty much have some experience with.
Alexa
The teenage, Latino, trumpet-playing version of the Robert Johnson myth, which I have an incredible soft spot for. Not really about baseball, more about the relationship between Andres, the trumpet player mentioned above, and his girlfriend, the softball pitcher and their ability to inspire each other through their preferred activities (trumpet-playing and pitching). Some of the characters are caricatures, making them somewhat unrealistic, but overall, I really enjoyed the book
Jessie
I read this book in 7th or 8th grade and loved it! I liked how it was sort of a love story, but still unlike anything i'd ever read. The boy plays trumpet in a band, and the girl plays softball. Soon they learn that they perform really well with the other there. The main characters were so unique, and their passions for music/softball really got me interested.
Tyler Fisher
Not about baseball one bit, but about a trumpet player and his inspiration. Through tough times this high school trumpeter, Andy, meets an olympic softball pitcher,and is determined to be with her for the rest of his life. Concerts, softball, and friendship sum up this book.
Bruce
"Lyrical" is the wrong word for this, as it makes the book sound slow-paced. It's not, but the playful language paints such vivid pictures and so often reminds you of song lyrics, that lyrical will have to do. A wonderful book, full of heart and sass and music.
'Chele
CA-Guy into jazz plays trumpet & girl into softball learn what it truly means to care for another person. I love this book! Details struggles students go through and the outcome of caring.
Arlyn Martinez
This book has been great so far. My friend was right this book is really good. I really didn't go that far I'm like in 2 chapter 3 chapter but i really don't have anything to say about this book yet.
Mary
One of the best sports books I have ever read - possible because it has dual male/female protagonists and its the boy that's into music (trumpet) and the girl that's into sports (softball).
Claire
Jan 18, 2009 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 13 and up
Shelves: guys-read
I really like the writing in this book. To me it seems lyrical and mystical. I do wonder how the story will end....
Michelle
Didn't finish it - I couldn't relate to any of the characters. It's more about music than baseball or softball.
Jan
WoW! Music from the heart and soul of Andy woven into a friend's baseball tryout! Very engaging.
Katie
This book is easy to relate to, and to get caught up in. I very much enjoyed it
Mr. Boleen's SURF Class
the seting of this book takes place in a big town in California. (E.S)
Jonathan
Wacky, sometimes delightfully and sometimes frustratingly.
Nathan
Fun book. I loved the way he talked about music.
Andrea
so cute ! an adorable story
10-11 Trip
This was a really cool book.
Summer Black
Summer Black marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Second Impact
  • So, You Want to Be a Chef?: How to Get Started in the World of Culinary Arts
  • Chasing Tail Lights
  • Vanishing Act: Mystery at the U.S. Open (The Sports Beat, #2)
  • My Life with the Lincolns
  • Rock Star Superstar
  • I Am (Not) the Walrus
  • The Ruby Notebook (Notebook, #2)
  • Keeper (Paul Faustino, #1)
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Stealing Air
  • Teammates
  • My Life as a Cartoonist
  • Invisible Things
Novelist John H. Ritter (born October 31, 1951, in San Pedro, California) grew up in the summer-dry hills east of San Diego. "I grew up in a baseball family," says John. "But we were also a family of musicians and mathematicians, house painters and poets. My dad was a sports writer in Ashtabula, Ohio, who moved the family out west, just before I was born, to become Sports Editor for The San Diego ...more
More about John H. Ritter...
The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2) Choosing Up Sides The Desperado Who Stole Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #1) Over the Wall Fenway Fever