Love Stories: Love Stories of World War II

Love Stories: Love Stories of World War II

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Larry King, whose previous books have sold more than one million copies, tells the moving and heartwarming stories of couples who met by chance and fell in love during World War II, based on his original interviews.

Poignant, inspiring, humorous, and unforgettable, these are the stories of men and women who, amid the chaos of a devestating war, became the loves of each othe...more
Audio
Published November 6th 2001 by Random House Audio (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Love Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Stories

Anna
There's someone I've been missing
I think that they could be the better half of me You're in the wrong place trying to make it right
And I'm tired of justifying
So I say to you,
Come home
Cause I've been waiting for you
For so long
Right now there's a war between the vanities
And all I see is you and me
And the fight for you all is I've ever known..
So come home

Come Home by OneRepublic, written for military couples

I LOVE old-fashioned vintage couples and love stories. I mean, I just love it. They're so cu...more
Kim
I am an old soul, and love stories that center around WWII. So, it is an understatement to say this book was disappointing. No disrespect to those involved in these love stories, they were beautiful. However, it was tragic to put these amazing stories into the uncapable hands of Larry King. There is a reason he is on TV - he can't write.
Terri
I feel a little unpatriotic to dare give this book only 3 stars, but there you go.

5 stars for the cover, I mean who isn't going to just fall over in love with the World War II couple giving their last hug to each other before they part for a long time.

Another 5 stars for the whole idea; love stories in letters, accounts, and photographs during World War II.

Alas, 3 stars for the execution of the project. Larry King has taken an amazing part of history and the lives of real people who loved during...more
SheLove2Read
Great book! Multiple stories of couples who met and married during wartime, sometimes being separated for years while the war raged on. Really makes you take stock of what you have and what they went through to have happy marriages.
Glory
What a wonderful little book! Although the writing could use some polishing, the sheer adventure, humor, and true-to-life-ness of the tales themselves offset any stylistic lacking. The stories are heart-warming, bittersweet, comforting, saddening, frightening, enlightening, and always struck with the down-to-earth declaration that these things did take place - once upon a time. Personal accounts are always the closest way to history's heart, and this book is no exception. For a real experience o...more
Tina
Jun 20, 2012 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I don't ususally read non-fiction but this was a wonderful book to read. I would reccommend it to anyone!!!

These stories are about men and women who were involved in World War 2 and how this awful event turned wonderful for some. The stories tell of how these men and women fell in love, stayed together through the war, even though being separated for years, and find each other once again and either married or continue their married life for 50-60 years!!

One of the best parts of this book is see...more
Laura Cushing
Touching true stories of love from World War II. Couples tell their stories, along with photographs and memorobelia to acompany each tale. There's thoe that ended happily and a few that ended less-so, but all of them are extraordinary and touching. What's rather interesting too is that these stories are compiled by Larry King. Yes, that Larry King. There's no political rhetoric of any kind in here though, just the stories as related to King by the couples. It's just a heartwarming historical rea...more
Noelle (Pandora) Kukenas
Several love stories of the men and women who served and were impacted directly by the events leading up to, during, and after WWII. This is the book I keep by my bedside or in the reading basket by my living room chair when I want a short but touching read. Told from the words of the very people these love stories are about, it also includes photographs of now and then, as well as photos of cards, announcements and the hand decorated envelopes the couples sent to one another.
Brittney
Absolutely loved reading about how far lovers went to be together. How long they have to wait for one letter, always on the edge if that letter would come from the war dept saying they're love had died. This day and age where everything is instant, I love the old love stories. They seem more like the fairytale love that is so sweet. They had it hard and they never gave up and were patient. You have to appreciate those that came before your own generation to truly understand yours.
Kelli
Sweet! I really enjoy stories of peoples lives throughout history. So precious.

I'm only wondering how Larry King got his name attached to this? It's kind of random. I can tell he didn't write this because it isn't written in a style that sounds like him. It's just compiled stories.

You can really just read this out of order and be fine. The pictures attached to the stories was a nice touch too.
Pat
If you are researching WWII or want to know more about your grandparents or great grandparents, this book gives you insights into love during and after war. War II and its effect on the military and civilian population emotionally is presented through love letters collected and collated by Larry King. It is a great book for a table top, a bed stand, or a guest room. Easy reading, typical of the 1940's.
Melissa
Oh, I cried about 15 different times throughout this book - these are actual love letters to/from soldiers and their wives/girlfriends from WWII. I couldn't help but think of my grandmother and all the letters she wrote to her 1st husband throughout the war. Definitely a book to read to appreciate love and relationships - compiled by Larry King.
Diane
I would actually probably give this 3.5 stars. I didn't like it at first. Larry King's writing style is a little too "Dragnet"--just the facts, ma'am. This book is exactly the kind of book I would love, but he had a boring style. But it was interesting. I would have really liked stories from the Japanese and German sides, too.
Rachael Marsceau
I now realize that this is a book to have on a shelf somewhere for when the itch to read a short and sweet love story comes upon you. It's not a sit-and-read-it-through book. King's writing style is drab and boring, making gorgeous stories of romance feel like cardboard. Still, a nice book to have for, I dunno, a rainy day.
Candace
I absolutely love this book. I've nearly cried after reading each little story. As these couples reflect on the profound experiences of the war,the stores they most like to tell are of the deep bonds they froged during that tumultuous time, bonds so strong that they lasted a lifetime.
Heather
This compilation of true stories from World War II was an interesting read. Each story was about a couple who had met right before or during the war, and the stories, accompanied by pictures of the couples, told their real life love stories during the difficult times of World War II.
Katie
I had a feeling I would enjoy this book simply because I'm a sucker for sentimentality, but I was surprised at just how much I liked it. The stories were all so unique, and I loved hearing about how people loved (and sometimes lost) in the midst of World War II.
becca sporky
the stories are pretty similar to one another. I also find it kinda hard to believe that the men were that innocent back then..... and the girls too. Its pretty uplifting and cute, but still, rather cheezy and dull after a while, I'm sorry to say.
Karen
Aug 08, 2007 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This book is a really easy read but enjoyable. It's a collection of short (2-3 page) stories about how people met their spouses during WWII. There's a lot of cute stories and a few more average ones. Overall, just a fun romantic book.
Bonny
I've always loved reading about World War II. This book was fun to read, but none of the stories were all that amazing. Some were actually pretty lame. It does amuse me that these were compiled by Larry King, though.
Katie
Very sweet and romantic. It was a very fast read because I was so interested in how these people met! If it hadn't been for the war, I feel sure that most of these couples would never have encountered each other.
Jeanne
Loved some of this and cringed at other parts. Most of the stories are really inspiring. The last few are indecent. Don't let your children read the last two or three stories, but the rest were great!
Ana-Catrina
Some of the stories were beautiful, some sad, some strange, but all were very rushed - the stories themselves and the way they were told. It game me a sense of the impact of the war on people's lives.
Jess
Jun 17, 2008 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jess by: I did. I love war stories and love stories
This is a compilation of different love stories from people who survived World War II. I love knowing that people can be true to each other and have enough faith to get home. These stories are very inspiring.
Kelly
This collection of letters and narrative made a time period that is quite remote from me much more real. I was amazed by many of the stories, and enjoyed the book immensely.
Tammie
This book grabbed my attention from the first chapter. True and meaningful short chapters about falling in love and marrying during the war. Lovely pictures and well written.
Erin
I love that the history of WWII is knit throughout each of the couple's stories but I sure wish the writing didn't read like a grade school book report.
Grace
It was a really relaxed, enjoyable read. I am a sucker for love stories and reading these beautiful recollections of love in the midst of war was wonderful!
Joy
The stories were sweet, but I discovered in reading this, that I would rather have a book based on one story, than several brief but not detailed stories.
  • War Letters: Extraordinary Correspondence from American Wars
  • To See You Again: A True Story of Love in a Time of War
  • Erika's Story
  • The World Must Know: The History Of The Holocaust As Told In The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
  • An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • Irena Sendler And The Children Of The Warsaw Ghetto
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • Because of Romek: A Holocaust Survivor's Memoir
  • The Women Who Wrote the War
  • I Am Fifteen--and I Don't Want To Die
  • The Children of Willesden Lane: Beyond the Kindertransport:  A Memoir of Music, Love, and Survival
  • And If I Perish: Frontline U.S. Army Nurses in World War II
  • Things We Couldn't Say
  • Code Name Pauline: Memoirs of a World War II Special Agent
  • Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous (Harlequin Blaze, #390)
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
19874
Larry King is an award-winning American television/radio host. Since 1985, King has hosted a nightly interview program on CNN called Larry King Live.
More about Larry King...
How to Talk to Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere: The Secrets of Good Communication My Remarkable Journey Truth Be Told: Off the Record about Favorite Guests, Memorable Moments, Funniest Jokes, and a Half Century of Asking Questions The People's Princess: Cherished Memories of Diana, Princess of Wales, From Those Who Knew Her Best Powerful Prayers: Conversations on Faith, Hope, and the Human Spirit with Today's Most Provocative People