Say Yes

Say Yes

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  33 reviews
When twelve-year-old Casey's sole guardian--her stepmother Sylvia--doesn't come home one night, Casey believes she's run off with her boyfriend. The question is--will Sylvia come back? And even more urgent--how will Casey fend for herself in their New York City apartment.

Paulie, the landlord's teenage foster son, offers to forge Sylvia's signature on the rent check, but h...more
Audio
Published May 21st 2002 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published January 1st 2001)

Linda Lipko
Audrey Coulumbis is a Newbery award winning author. Getting Near to Baby is one of my favorite Newbery books primarily because like Out of the Dust, Okay for Now, The Wednesday Wars and Bud, Not Buddy, Coulumbis' books deal with difficult subjects in a non over the top way.

This small book packs a whallop without leaving the reader feeling bruised. When twelve year old Casey returns home from school realizing she has been abandoned by her step mother, she tries as best as possible to soldier on....more
Krista Ashe
De'lindra
I like this book its not to boring or interesting. This book is just right, When i first read this book it was funny and i reminded me of me and my sister. The girl don't like being treated like a little baby. She is 10 I think and her sister/ mother like talking to her like she a little baby. When she left for school they was having an disagreement about her sister/ mother boyfriend.
Cathleen
Aug 25, 2010 Cathleen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathleen by: samantha
This story is about a narrator Casey comes home and doesnt find her step mother Sylvia. She didnt really care much until the next day she wakes up and shes still not there yet. She kept watching the news and thinking about a girl who lost her mother and had to go to a foster home so for that reason she refused to tell anyone. She stayed near the phoneShe wanted to call Sylvias mother for help because her and Sylvia argued about her always doing the wrong things and she didnt want Sylvia to be ma...more
Doris Mei
Heather
What would you do if you were a 12yr old girl and came home to find an empty, deserted apartment? That is what happens to Casey. A girl who has lost her mother and father, and lives with her stepmother who has not been choosing the best boyfriends. Casey comes home to an empty apartment for several days, keeping hope that her stepmother will soon return. It doesn't take her too long though to realize that she is going to need more money to buy food for herself, and then Paulie reminds her about...more
Adela
Pam
Strong realistic fiction about a girl whose stepmother disappears with only money left in an envelope on the refrigerator. Casey is worried that she'll be placed in foster care before she can find out what happened to her stepmother. The situations and dilemmas for Casey are serious and worrying. For a child reading this book, Casey's life can seem scary and uncertain. It is a great story for children who have unstable backgrounds. It will also work for children who feel that they are ready to b...more
Nikki
I liked this book alot. It is about this 12 year old girl who lives in this apartment with her aunt. Her aunt is not that nice of a girl.Casey the 12year old leaves for school and comes back to a apartment with her aunt missing. So Casey goes to her aunt work. The boss said that she hasnt been to work for a couple of days. So she remembered that her aunt was talking to someone on the phone this morning so excited. her aunt was never excited. well if i say anymore I will give the book away. I hop...more
Kelsey
This book is about a girl living with her step-mom who leaves one day and doesnt return for her. The girl (named Casey) is having to start trying how to live on her own and could wind up in some trouble by making the wrong decision. She ends up meeting the apartment owner's son named Pauly. He is a boy that gets into a lot of mischief and is someone that Casey probably shouldn't be hanging around. In order for Casey to be able to stay living in her apartment she has to scrap up some money somewh...more
Debbie Hoskins
I met Audrey in a limousine in Chicago going to the Newbery/Caldecott dinner in 2000. She kind of looks like my mother and I did learn a lot from her and kept in e-mail contact with her in the early to mid-2000's. She's an excellent writer. I liked the New York setting and how the girl was doing something she knew she shouldn't be doing. The story is intriguing, but it has been a while since I read the book. I liked this as much as Getting Near to Baby, but Getting Near to Baby was written more...more
Taysia Passmore
Say Yes(fictional)by Audrey Couloumbis is an amazing book.This book is so awesome because itb really pulls the reader into the tale which the little girl tells.I would recommand alot of people to read this book because you would be suprised about how the little girl has to do to survive until her stepmom gets back but the question is,'Is her step mom coming back?'As I read the book 12-year old Casey had me hanging off the edge of my seat!Thats how thrilling the book is to me.
Jenny
Wednesday morning is like any other, except Casey's stepmom Sylvia gets up to see her off. When Casey gets home that afternoon, there is money in an envelope clipped to the fridge. No Sylvia anywhere. Casey is no baby and can take care of herself. She doesn't want Sylvia in trouble for leaving, so she won't tell anyone. Except Paulie, the 16 year old foster son of the super, saw Sylvia go. Now Casey is in over her head, working with Paulie to rob old ladies . . .
Hope
the book was ok it Manley draged details to far
Jereka
This book was filled with eye-opening suspence as you take a trip with pre-teen, Casey to figure out the mystery behind her guardians disappearance.Along the way, she has no other choice then to find help where she can get it, her landlord's son whi is more than what he appears.This book is really good, and I highly encurage it for everyone.
Ahmed Ibrahim
A nice read, but the basic storyline was a bit over the top
Kelly
Twelve year old Casey wakes up one morning to find that her stepmother has abandoned her and she is now left all alone to fend for herself. She teams up with her building super’s son and they carry out an illegal scheme to get some fast cash. Casey’s conscience gets the best of her though so she makes amends with her victim.
Phoebe
This book is very good so far it has got me hooked!!!!! And I can't put it down I am al most done and can't wait to see what happens!! The only reason I did not give it a fifth star is because I don't think it is a great influence on some kids. Lol
JB
Best realistic fiction read so far this summer. A tightly written story about a 12-year-old abandoned at home by her stepmother. All the obvious cliches are avoided and truly gripping moral dilemmas. Tough subject without the normal doom and gloom.
Lexi Pizzuti
This is a really good book about a girl who is abandeed by her step mother and is left to fend for herself. She steals from old grandma's and it's just a really good book.

:) haha, go read it.
Mrs. B
I liked the metaphor of the blue sky and birds. You should always have hope and believe in the people you love. I would've been mad if Casey's mom, Sylvia, didn't come back in the end.
Suzanne
A girl is left to fend for herself when her stepmom goes off with her lover. This book does a good job with the stresses of not knowing the future, of trying to cover your loss, etc.
Sowndarya
It was a great book about a girl and how she suffers without her stepmom. I thought it was quite slow-moving, but it just kept me reading for some reason. Overall, it was a good read.
Missy
Mar 17, 2009 Missy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Missy by: myself
this book was really good, and even though i read it in elementary shcool, i still read it now. it's mysterious and suspensful and it ends really well!
Dotty
If your parents were missing, what would you say if your friend suggested robbing an old woman to get money to eat? Would you ... SAY YES?
Queen
It's sweet to see a mother who is forgiven and a girl growing up with unexpected adventures. Paulie is a cool cat.
Neela
say yes is about a girl whose step mom leaves and doesn't come back so she has to like lives by herself in an apartment
Syd_loves2read
A good book I have read more than once. Shows that you should never give up hope.
Getting Near to Baby The Misadventures of Maude March Not Exactly a Love Story Jake Maude March on the Run!