Start by marking “The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook” as Want to Read:
The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook

The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,252 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Senge's best-selling The Fifth Discipline led Business Week to dub him the "new guru" of the corporate world; here he offers executives a step-by-step guide to building "learning organizations" of their own.
Audio
Published July 4th 2000 by Random House Audio (first published 1990)

James
The companion to The Fifth Discipline - the parent book lays out the principles and provides some examples, and this work goes further in helping readers put the concepts to practical use. Highly recommended for anyone who is working to improve the functioning of any human system.
Rankedhi Ops
Jun 02, 2014 Rankedhi Ops rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These 5 key disciplines keep coming up in others books about how to manage successfully. This is the step by step with check points version
Bob Wallner
Apr 25, 2014 Bob Wallner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leaders
This audiobook was really presented in a casual way to support the 5th Discipline. Although this was difficult to follow it got me interested, really interested in reading the 5th Discipline. I have ordered the book and will be next on my reading list. At that time I may go back and re-listen to this.

The audio was organized well by discipline and provided many examples of how to use. The downside was, with multiple readers it was somewhat difficult to follow. You would go from Senge's very quiet
Sunny
Aug 06, 2012 Sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book which gives some excellent insights about how to build a successfully organisation by building a learning organisation. one of the key tools that i took away from the book was the theory (not new by any means) around systems thinking. the ability to view an action in its holistic sense with an awareness of the interdependencies that act has with others and what the ramifications are. it gives you some very practical insights into improving your consulting skills but i guess ...more
Jeffrey Jablonski
Feb 04, 2014 Jeffrey Jablonski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the themes discussed are not his own. He does write it so that it can more easily be read by a larger audience. In general found it to be the Dr Phil version of management 101. Lots of generalities without much real substance. Heard a lot of good things about it prior to reading it, but can't say I agree with them.
Zhi Han
One of the good things about the books written by academic people is that they focus on the principle and simplify the discussion. This book is very well written for organizations. However it also appears to be on the abstract side, maybe it can be improved a little bit by adding more concrete case studies.
Vincent Musolino
Lots of interesting content, including exercises and templates; the Kindle edition makes it difficult to understand the structure of the book. I would actually recommend this book over the original simply because it contains many more practical aspects to the 5 disciplines.
Jim Duncan
Nov 03, 2014 Jim Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The phrase "shared mental models" has become a cornerstone in my approach to teamwork.
Phil Ouellette
Jun 16, 2014 Phil Ouellette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource and must have reference for any Organizational Development Consultant
Cor
May 08, 2016 Cor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helder en overzichtelijk resumé van het werk van Senge. Nu nog toepassen! :)
Jomana Ismail
Jun 02, 2014 Jomana Ismail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best business books ever
Alabama Best Practices Center
Even though this book is rather dated, I refer to it frequently. Peter Senge is the father of learning communities and this book contains a wealth of information about how effective learning organizations function. From the Ladder of Inferences, to dealing effectively with conflict and change, this book is a treasure.
Martha
Mar 18, 2014 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for my change management class. It it s a good reference book. It is not a book that you would voluntarily sit down and just read; but it is one of those books that is full of good information and deserves shelf space on any managers personal reference library.
Samir Dhond
Mar 26, 2009 Samir Dhond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I storngly recommend this book to all HR and OD prationers. Such a useful book. Talks about tools and techniques that we can use while working on developing and building organizations. I particularly liked the "Lefthand Column Exercise.
Linda
Jul 11, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy is highlighted, dog-eared and post-it noted. Used it as a text and some of my former students have told me they still use it as a reference also. Probably the most useful book on management I've ever read.
Steve Johnson
Nov 30, 2010 Steve Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical outworking of the Fifth Discipline. This will help you to be a systems thinker, and there is a great chance that you need to think more systems than you are. I know I do.
Christine Galvin-Combet
Methods on cultivating and sustaining a "learning" organization. In my opinion, it's more of a resource that you absorb over time rather than in a short period.
Wayne G
Oct 27, 2007 Wayne G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
I have not read this word for word... but that's not what this book is about... it's about findong practical appliocations for Senge's theories in ANY organization
Ken
Jun 28, 2009 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for every educator. I have read this a hundred times and it is filled with dog ears, highlights and post-its for reference.
Oli
Mar 05, 2014 Oli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good. Will refer to many more times.
JoAnn
Aug 08, 2012 JoAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in bringing the concepts in The Fifth Discipline down to a practioner level. I return to it repeatedly.
Bruce Flanagan
Mar 05, 2011 Bruce Flanagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, not an easy read but push through and there is much to be gained
Michael Mcclanahan
The de Facto standard for setting up and establishing a learning organization.
Susan
Feb 16, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Textbook that I read in University. Long and complicated. Not very practical.
Polly Callahan
Aug 04, 2012 Polly Callahan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, abandoned
systems theory section may be interesting...

probably too dated
Ks Pillai
Aug 09, 2011 Ks Pillai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a manager, keep it close to you, come very handy often
May 11, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read parts of this book for college course I edited...
Joan
Nov 21, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important companion workbook to the text.
Danielle
Aug 21, 2007 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tools to help build a "learning culture"
محمد
Oct 28, 2012 محمد rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A treasure
Reading it is a pleasure
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World with CD-ROM
  • The Deming Management Method
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • The Art of Systems Thinking: Essential Skills for Creativity and Problem Solving
  • Systems Thinking: Managing Chaos and Complexity - A Platform for Designing Business Architecture
  • How to Live on Mars: A Trusty Guidebook to Surviving and Thriving on the Red Planet
Peter M. Senge is a senior lecturer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is also founding chair of the Society for Organizational Learning (SoL), a global community of corporations, researchers, and consultants dedicated to the "interdependent development of people and their institutions."
--from the author's website
More about Peter M. Senge...