The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook

The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  676 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Senge's best-selling The Fifth Discipline led Business Week to dub him the "new guru" of the corporate world; here he offers executives a step-by-step guide to building "learning organizations" of their own.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Audio
Published July 4th 2000 by Random House Audio (first published June 20th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook

Bob Wallner
Apr 25, 2014 Bob Wallner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leaders
This audiobook was really presented in a casual way to support the 5th Discipline. Although this was difficult to follow it got me interested, really interested in reading the 5th Discipline. I have ordered the book and will be next on my reading list. At that time I may go back and re-listen to this.

The audio was organized well by discipline and provided many examples of how to use. The downside was, with multiple readers it was somewhat difficult to follow. You would go from Senge's very quiet...more
Sunny
Very interesting book which gives some excellent insights about how to build a successfully organisation by building a learning organisation. one of the key tools that i took away from the book was the theory (not new by any means) around systems thinking. the ability to view an action in its holistic sense with an awareness of the interdependencies that act has with others and what the ramifications are. it gives you some very practical insights into improving your consulting skills but i guess...more
Jeffrey Jablonski
Most of the themes discussed are not his own. He does write it so that it can more easily be read by a larger audience. In general found it to be the Dr Phil version of management 101. Lots of generalities without much real substance. Heard a lot of good things about it prior to reading it, but can't say I agree with them.
Zhi Han
One of the good things about the books written by academic people is that they focus on the principle and simplify the discussion. This book is very well written for organizations. However it also appears to be on the abstract side, maybe it can be improved a little bit by adding more concrete case studies.
Rankedhi Ops
These 5 key disciplines keep coming up in others books about how to manage successfully. This is the step by step with check points version
Phil Ouellette
Excellent resource and must have reference for any Organizational Development Consultant
Jomana Ismail
One of the best business books ever
Alabama Best Practices Center
Even though this book is rather dated, I refer to it frequently. Peter Senge is the father of learning communities and this book contains a wealth of information about how effective learning organizations function. From the Ladder of Inferences, to dealing effectively with conflict and change, this book is a treasure.
James
The companion to The Fifth Discipline - the parent book lays out the principles and provides some examples, and this work goes further in helping readers put the concepts to practical use. Highly recommended for anyone who is working to improve the functioning of any human system.
Martha
I read this for my change management class. It it s a good reference book. It is not a book that you would voluntarily sit down and just read; but it is one of those books that is full of good information and deserves shelf space on any managers personal reference library.
Samir Dhond
I storngly recommend this book to all HR and OD prationers. Such a useful book. Talks about tools and techniques that we can use while working on developing and building organizations. I particularly liked the "Lefthand Column Exercise.
Linda
My copy is highlighted, dog-eared and post-it noted. Used it as a text and some of my former students have told me they still use it as a reference also. Probably the most useful book on management I've ever read.
Steve Johnson
Practical outworking of the Fifth Discipline. This will help you to be a systems thinker, and there is a great chance that you need to think more systems than you are. I know I do.
Christine Galvin-Combet
Methods on cultivating and sustaining a "learning" organization. In my opinion, it's more of a resource that you absorb over time rather than in a short period.
Wayne G
I have not read this word for word... but that's not what this book is about... it's about findong practical appliocations for Senge's theories in ANY organization
Ken
A must for every educator. I have read this a hundred times and it is filled with dog ears, highlights and post-its for reference.
Oli
So good. Will refer to many more times.
JoAnn
Helpful in bringing the concepts in The Fifth Discipline down to a practioner level. I return to it repeatedly.
Bruce Flanagan
Excellent book, not an easy read but push through and there is much to be gained
Michael Mcclanahan
The de Facto standard for setting up and establishing a learning organization.
Susan
Textbook that I read in University. Long and complicated. Not very practical.
Polly Callahan
systems theory section may be interesting...

probably too dated
Ks Pillai
If you are a manager, keep it close to you, come very handy often
Read parts of this book for college course I edited...
Joan
Important companion workbook to the text.
Danielle
Great tools to help build a "learning culture"
محمد
A treasure
Reading it is a pleasure
Sabrina Braham
Good ideas to implement in your company
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking (Silver Anniversary Edition)
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Mangament
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Competing for the Future
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
Peter M. Senge is a senior lecturer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is also founding chair of the Society for Organizational Learning (SoL), a global community of corporations, researchers, and consultants dedicated to the "interdependent development of people and their institutions."
--from the author's website
More about Peter M. Senge...
The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society The Necessary Revolution: How Individuals And Organizations Are Working Together to Create a Sustainable World The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization Schools That Learn: A Fifth Discipline Fieldbook for Educators, Parents and Everyone Who Cares About Education