Amazing Peace: And Other Poems

Amazing Peace: And Other Poems

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In this beautiful, deeply moving poem, Maya Angelou inspires us to embrace the peace and promise of Christmas, so that hope and love can once again light up our holidays and the world. “Angels and Mortals, Believers and Nonbelievers, look heavenward,” she writes, “and speak the word aloud. Peace.”

Read by the poet at the lighting of the National Christmas Tree at the White...more
Audio
Published December 1st 2005 by Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Peace

Elevate Difference
Amazing Peace is visually amazing and beautiful as the colors are muted but still vibrant. The gold lettering in the title stands out and adds a touch of style. This book was a true collaboration between Maya Angelou and illustrators Steve Johnston and Lou Fancher. The poetry and pictures meld together, and the words touch your heart. The pictures are textured, which adds to their magic. This is truly a book to bring people together to forget our petty differences.

This book is a call for peace—n...more
Miri
Well, of course it was beautiful, and I really love Maya Angelou's... everything. But I don't love the illustrations, and honestly, even the content of the poem was a stretch for me. It reminds me of these memes I've been seeing, and while I can appreciate the intent of the memes, they are essentially victim-blaming. The problem isn't that non-Christians are offended by being wished a merry Christmas; it's that Christians don't respect the fact that not everyone is Christian. Non-Christians woul...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Wardrip aka "The Genius" for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Maya Angelou, world-renowned poet, philanthropist, and humanitarian, brings to vivid life the true meaning of Christmas. Her poems are not the simple rhyming ones of many children's books, but rather a meshing of words that go straight to the heart.

"Come and fill us and our world with your majesty.
We, the Jew and the Jainist, the Catholic and the Confucian,
Implore you to stay awhile with us
So we may learn by your shimme...more
Ramona
With the Christmas season swiftly approaching, this picture book with a poem written by Maya Angelou for the 2005 White House treelighting ceremony beautifully prepares our hearts for this season of hope & peace. The book comes with a CD that you can listen to Angelou read the poem as you enjoy the illustrations so well done by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. Angelou writes "Into this climate of fear and apprehension, Christmas enters, Streaming lights of joy, ringing bells of hope And singin...more
Crystal
This is a lovely poem about peace. I could hear her voice in my head reading. Reading this made me want to read more by her so I picked up I know Why the Caged Bird Sings when I saw it on the shelf. I guess my "TBR" pile is getting bigger."

I also found a video of her talking about this poem on the Today show. She talked about us having and bringing inner peace with us and gave the example of staying peaceful even in traffic. It totally reminded me of this quote, "Why choose to be angry? It won't...more
Kathleen
"In our Joy, we think we hear a whisper.
At first it is too soft. Then only half heard.
We listen carefully as it gathers strength.
We hear a sweetness.
The word is peace."

Amazing Peace is the perfect way for a family to start its holiday season. In her sparse but beautiful prose, Ms. Angelou reminds us of what is really important this season. It's not the flashing lights, brightly colored packages, or even the stress. It is very simply, that "We look at each other, then into ourselves. and we say w...more
Robin
Amazing! Powerful! Beautifully rich! "In our joy, we think we hear a whisper.
At first it is too soft. Then only half heard.
We listen carefully as it gathers strength.
We hear a sweetness.
The word is Peace.
It is loud now.
Louder than the explosion of bombs."
Jackie
This book is based on a poem performed by Angelou at the 2005 White House tree lighting ceremony. The painting by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher are truly amazing. One line of the poem especially captured me: "It is what we have hungered for. Not just the absence of war. But true Peace."
That is truly what the greatest world hunger today is.
Kristel
Beautifully illustrated version of a poem that Maya Angelou delivered at the White House in 2005. There is a CD included with naration by the author. Maya Angelou is incredibly talented and is able to paint a picture of peace through words. LOVE IT
Gina Gifford
I hate to admit that I am not much of a poetry reader. Sadly I don't always understand it. People who love poetry are usually portrayed as deep and intelligent... (*Sigh*) But Amazing Peace was simple and lovely. Merry Christmas!
Courtney Burns
Gorgeous. Lovely. Inspiring. It takes just a few minutes to read--you can find it online to read but make sure you find a version that gives you the entire poem which begins: "Thunder rumbles in the mountain passes."
Christine Turner
Angelou's poem celebrates the promise of peace in the holiday season. In this simple story, a family joins with their community--rich and poor, black and white, Muslim and Jew--to celebrate the holidays.

www.hcpl.net
Becca
I love this poem, especially when she reads it aloud (a cd is included). The paintings in this edition are beautiful. I loved the combination of the brushstrokes with the textures and patterns of the fabric.
Christine Turner
"Amazing Peace, "was published as a Christmas book for adults. The book is available with a Cd and is read by the author. I enoyed the poem, but I am not fond of the illustrations of this book.
 Barb Bailey
I have read this in both the adult publication and the childrens publication. I loved the poem . But I would suggest this poem for older children , The childrens book is beautifully illustrated.
Carolyn
So very beautiful, so simple, so clear... Maya is a poet for people that say they don't like poetry, because it is so much more. Truths that should resonate in even the hardest heart.
Linda
Beautiful poem, lovingly written and gorgeous illustrations that include winter details, of some celebrating Christmas, but others celebrating community.
Erin
I check this book out of the public library because I can get the edition where she reads the poem herself. Her voice, like her writing is rich and melodic.
Sharon
Dec 07, 2010 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: poetry
Few women are more eloquent and wise than Maya Angelou. This is a beautiful Poem to ponder through out the holiday season.
Susan
This is a beautifully illustrated book of a wonderful poem, but I just don't think it works as a book for children.
Jenifer
Nice book club pick for Christmas. It's hard for me to understand that not EVERY human heart longs for peace.
Angie
This poem was read at the lighting of the national Christmas tree in 2005. It's very lovely!
Bara'ah
Didn't know this was a Christmas book till halfway..
Tracy
In our family Christmas book collection. Read 2009 with Ryan. Peaceful. From Tamra.
Helen
Had to re-read this after Alyssa said she was using part of it in her classes.
Janelle Revier
I plan to do this as a choral reading at my mom's for Christmas. I can't wait!
Monica
This is a beautiful poem. I will read again and again at Christmas.
Erin
Great Christmas poem, but worth reading throughout the year.
21st Century Lite...: In Memory of Maya Angelou 1 14 May 29, 2014 11:45AM
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
  • Pug: And Other Animal Poems
  • Feast for 10
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • Gingerbread Friends
  • Plump And Perky Turkey, A
  • God Got a Dog
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia
  • The First Day of Winter
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was n...more
More about Maya Angelou...
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings The Heart of a Woman  Letter to My Daughter Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now Gather Together in My Name