Start by marking “Trevayne” as Want to Read:
Trevayne

Trevayne

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,414 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Fearless and incorruptible, Andrew Trevayne is a self-made millionaire, former undersecretary of state, and current head of one of the nation’s most prestigious foundations. Now, at the express wish of the president, Trevayne undertakes an investigation into the “secret government”—and is soon swept up in a tidal wave of intrigue and danger. Beyond the corridors of officia ...more
Audio
Published July 4th 2000 by Random House Audio (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Trevayne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trevayne

Tim Dudek
Half way through Trevayne I thought I had incontrovertible proof that Robert Ludlum was the greatest writer in english ever. Why did I believe that? Trevayne concerns itself with a Senate subcommittee set up to investigate defense spending misappropriations. Yes you read that correctly. Ludlum sat down and thought, "I know how to keep the readers interest. I'll write a book about a government committee looking into corporation ledgers." I thought it was a Ludlum book so there would be action and ...more
Suby
Oct 07, 2011 Suby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Ludlum wrote this book in 1973 just as the Water Gate scandal was unfolding.
The book envisages a situation where a few senior men try to substitute American democracy with an Aristocracy where few high intellectuals will rule the country. They put in motion a scheme by which they can appropriate large sums of money out of the state exchequer through defense contracts and accumulate enough funds so that eventually it will be their intellects backed by large sums of money that will rule th
Martin Smrz
I have had a hard time to finish the book as it was taking on and on and on of the same ideas. The book is definitively not a thriller nor suspense. It is more just a political agitation, with more or less agreeable idealistic principles. This will not stop me to read other Ludlum books, but one learning for myself on future book from Ludlum, when you feel it is boring just drop it.....
Michael David
I vacillated a number of times before I actually purchased this novel. First, I don't know whether a political novel could actually hold my interest; second, I wondered whether it would even be relevant.

The novel was both immensely readable and relevant, especially to someone living in the Philippines. The 2016 presidential elections are rapidly coming, and behind every reflection is the nagging thought as to whether the presidential candidate is capable of leading.

What does it take to be capa
Stacy
Nov 21, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ludlum can't seem to decide here who is telling the story, the overeducated snob or the common man. The tone often changes with the paragraph.
Trevayne begins as a likable fellow on a mission then rapidly deteriorates into a holier than thou firebreather out for blood.
The story itself interests but the character's stiff attitude just stifled the story for me.
Every character seems to be ready to bite heads off rather than compromise on any point. Butting heads throughout the book.
And if it off
Fiona
Apr 27, 2016 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Complicated plot about a secret government with the US government.

Story takes place in the late sixties or early seventies but it applicable today. Trevayne has been nominated by the President to chair a Defense Subcommittee looking into Pentagon waste in purchasing and contracting. He comes across a behemoth company called Genessee Industries that, apparently, is running the Pentagon. The United States of Genessee Industries. Even the Mafia is involved. Can Trevayne control Genessee?

Men with k
Carol
Dec 16, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Ludlum fan many moons ago, I have a few books on my shelf that I had not gotten around to reading. Picked up Trevayne and at first didn't like it. I am not much for political action topics. As I read on, I was drawn to the character of Andrew Trevayne: self-made millionaire with a conscience and a loving husband and father. By the end of the book I was caught up in the political intrique. Politics and business do make strange bedfellows. I can't say that the book's conclusion made me feel m ...more
Jerome
Jul 23, 2015 Jerome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And here it is, my final Ludlum book to finish. I thought it fitting to end on the single book that didn't begin with "The"- it also was originally published under a pen-name since the prevailing thought in that time period was that authors should not write more than one book a year.

I thought this book was very well thought out, and indicated significant ability as a writer to establish multiple characters, develop them, and maintain dialogues that made sense. His knowledge of the inner working
Kelanth
Mar 10, 2016 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spionaggio
L'ultima verità, in originale "Trevayne" è un romanzo di spionaggio scritto da Robert Ludlum e pubblicato nel 1973, scritto con lo pseudonimo di Jonathan Ryder. Una cusriosità: questo romanzo è l'unico romanzo Ludlum senza la parola "Il" nel titolo. Il libro è stato successivamente ristampato con il nome proprio di Ludlum. L'autore ha spiegato il motivo per il suo uso di uno pseudonimo dicendo che doveva pubblicare con il nome di Jonathan Ryder perchè la saggezza convenzionale del tempo era che ...more
Huma
May 24, 2013 Huma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-ludlum
Jonathan Ryder is actually a pseudonym of Robert Ludlum. My copy is printed with Ludlum's name on the cover and a special note from the author. Ludlum explains his frame of mind when he wrote this novel and why the book was not initially published under his own name.

Andrew Trevayne is a successful American businessman who made a lot of money as a defense contractor with his brother-in-law. He also served once as the Undersecretary and is being chased to head a subcommittee for looking into Ameri
Baralgin
Jan 11, 2015 Baralgin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Troublemaker
May 27, 2014 Troublemaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read. I'm a big Ludlum fan and this was good, but not as action packed as I was hoping for. Thus the 4 stars. It was worth the time because it got me to look at politics/vested interests in a new light.

If you are a Ludlum fan, I say give it a go.
Douglas Graney
Jul 05, 2015 Douglas Graney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this book blows. Had potential but instead of a cool DC suspense intrigue, it's like all the drama involves budgetary spreadsheets. Read half the book waiting for it to get interesting. But after awhile you know, enough already.
Justin Miller
I must be too young. This book was easily the least enjoyable of all Ludlum's works that I have read. I understand the topic was super relevant for when it was written but it just didn't hold my interest like his other books.
Matt
Jan 04, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im amazed so many people didn't seem to like this one more. I think all the popularity of the "Bourne" movies has some cold to Ludlum or expect more "action". This book was a nice bled of
two other authors that have been successful in Hollywood, John Grisham and Tom Clancy. It was a fun mix of politics, law, and military. The novel, although written for a different time in the country, as openly admitted by the author, still has themes that apply today. Names could be changed, technology updated,
Max Watson
Jul 12, 2014 Max Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Ludlum is, both a successful and readable author. Trevayne is a good read of suspense and fast paced story. Whatever others may say, I like it and, more to the point, I recommend it.
Anna
Oct 05, 2012 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2012
I love many of Ludlum's books - there is just so much going on, and there's action from page 1 to the last page, usually between 500 and 700+. Action, conspiracies, heroes, evil guys...
Then there are the other books Ludlum wrote that differ from his usual style. This is one of them, and it was first published under another name - so I should not have expected The Ludlum I like. The ingredients for a great thriller are there, but it was just a bit too political thriller for me.
First published in
J.M.
My first Ludlum, yes? Yes. And it turned out to be one he wrote under a pseudonym, due to all its political content and (as I soon learned) its unusual absence of Nazis.

The best way I can describe it is as if one of the entrepreneurs from "Shark Tank" were suddenly immersed in a vast political conspiracy, only to blow it wide open while dodging bullets and drinking whisky. In the post-Watergate 1970's. A bit long and windy but it certainly beats reading Ayn Rand.
Elena
Mar 15, 2015 Elena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First ever Ludlum read for me. Political thrillers used to be my favourite genre until I stumbled on Romance. Trevayne is the president (or Prime Minister for me) we all wish we had. It's fiction I know but so was the West Wing and we still hoped. Enjoyed the trials and tribulations and the suspense in Trevayne until the very end which in fact is not an end at all but a cliffhanger which apparently does not get resolved in subsequent books. Therein the three stars.
Kevin K. Gillette
Jul 26, 2014 Kevin K. Gillette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This was a very early effort, and a fascinating one to read. It's also practically the only "straight" Ludlum novel that doesn't follow the classic "The " title format for which he became so legendary.
Sandra
Barely 3 stars. A departure from Ludlums usual thing and mostly unsuccessful.
Yogesh
Apr 15, 2016 Yogesh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Average book according to me. Did not like it much.
Bill Meehan
Took me 5 days to get through the first half of the book and 2 to finish. Took an awful long time to set things up, but once the story got rolling it was hard to put down.

Might be interesting for those interested in the power and influence a corporation with ties to the military might be able to gain over the government.

A lot of the story takes place in Connecticut with mentions of Southeast Asia and Thailand, which was interesting for myself, as a Connecticut native and long time Thai resident
Roland
Jun 22, 2014 Roland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
too long
Ronald Wilcox
Dec 23, 2013 Ronald Wilcox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent suspenseful novel in Ludlum's usual involving style. Andrew Trevayne is asked to become the chair of a subcommittee of the federal government to look for corruption or abuse of power. He develops a committee that finds out that a lot of the government has ties to one agency, Genessee Industries. As he runs the investigation, he is attacked figuratively and literally from many angles. He has to decide if releasing their findings is for the good or the bad of the country.
Tosha Sisler
This is another great novel by Ludlum. The complex and intricate web Ludlum weaves is a reflection of genius.

This novel is exciting as an idea - that there is a conspiratorial organization that controls the government - and in its execution.

Details, phrases, and situations certainly date this novel However, it was interesting to reflect on this "historical" time-period that was actually quite recent and played a big-part in our current socio-economic status.
Shannon Kirk
Jan 22, 2015 Shannon Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot less political density and a lot more about character development in this book than some of his others, I thought. This was a good thing, since though I always enjoy Ludlum's books, I tend to get a bit lost in the governmental discussion. I really liked Trevayne, and kept thinking if years from now they make a movie of this book, I'd love to play his wife - she was such a strong character. Or the daughter, if she was in it more...

Jerome
Oct 27, 2012 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was originally written shortly after the Watergate scandal, and the edition I read was a re-printing made after the 1988 elections. It is quite heavily based in the political sphere and, for that reason, is almost timeless. I saw a lot of parallels to what we have even today, in this current election season. It's a well-written cautionary tale by one of the masters, solid from beginning to end.
Fredrick Danysh
Andy Trevayne has been a successful businessman and worked in the State Department. When he is approached to investigate cost over runs in the Department of Defense and its contracts, he must battle the military-industrial complex and the mafia. Attempts are made to discredit him and his family. This work is set in the Vietnam War era. This is vintage Ludlum originally written under a pen name.
Kevin
Nov 25, 2013 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little, no, very outdated. Maybe it was cutting edge in 1977, but now just seemed silly. Also, dialogue was like some B rated mobster movie. Plot has been proven false but I can't really blame Ludlum for that. It might have been timely back then.

This is the second Robert Ludlum book I've read, the first being The Borne Identity (my favorite movie). I've been disappointed in both.
  • Shan (China Maroc, #2)
  • The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8)
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • Bahama Crisis
  • The Janson Command (Paul Janson, #2)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • The Deceiver
  • ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)
  • The Hit List
Robert Ludlum was the author of twenty-seven novels, each one a New York Times bestseller. There are more than 210 million of his books in print, and they have been translated into thirty-two languages. He is the author of The Scarlatti Inheritance, The Chancellor Manuscript, and the Jason Bourne series--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum--among others. Mr. Ludlum ...more
More about Robert Ludlum...