Start by marking “I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story” as Want to Read:
I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story

I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  67 reviews
On March 23, 2003, Private First Class Jessica Lynch was crossing the Iraqi desert with the 507th Maintenance Company when the convoy she was traveling in was ambushed, caught in enemy crossfire. All four soldiers traveling with her died in the attack. Lynch, perhaps the most famous P.O.W. this country has ever known, was taken prisoner and held captive in an Iraqi hospita ...more
Audio
Published November 11th 2003 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Soldier, Too, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am a Soldier, Too

Tammy
A painful read, and I'm not talking about the wounds and torture.

A poorly written love story between the author and the title person.
I've read books and biographies where the author was clearly infatuated with the person portrayed, but this perpetual adoration of Lynch was far out of hand. Noted several points that were lied about or twisted to make her look better. Anyone else on the convoy, including other female soldiers, were either bare footnotes or described in a way as to prop up the main
Kristin
I don't often read war stories. They don't really capture my attention often, but this one was different. I suppose since war, army, etc. interests me outside of novels, kind of helped when I gave a novel about those things a shot. I loved that Jessica is from my home state. I also loved that it was a war novel about a woman; and it was all based on a true story.

Other than that, I found that it was kind of slow at times, but I have successfully read this story twice. When reading you just have t
Melissa
So this book has special appeal to me. I am from a small town in West Virginia AND I was a solder in the 1980s when the idea of women in uniform was a huge deal. I'm not sure why I took so long to read it but finally got around to it. It's not a literary page turner, just the story of a small town girl, her terrifying ordeal as a prisoner of war and how her family and her community rallied around her when she came home. It made me especially proud to be a female vet and a native of small town Am ...more
Robert
I started to read this book at 2 PM. I finish it at 7 PM.. Could not put it down accept for bathroom breaks. A Remarkable Story of courage and bravery and pain that Jessica Lynch went through. The Family and friends of where she lives. They never gave up hope. I cried when they rescued her from that hospital. I would recommend this book
Cindy
I'd have never read this sensationalized story about a POW from West Virginia who becomes a propaganda pawn in the Iraqi War, but Rick Bragg is a GREAT storyteller and his down-to-earth style makes for a simple, moving, honest portrayal of this young woman's ordeal Very well done.
David Ward
I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story by Rick Bragg (Alfred A. Knopf 2003)(Biography) is the story of a petite blond female captured as a POW in Iraq who was injured while riding in an armored vehicle, taken prisoner, and then sexually assaulted. The army bent over backwards to locate a female troop to designate as the politically correct hero of the day. In Jessica Lynch the army found a hero whose best friend was a Hopi Indian single mother and whose love interest was Hispanic. This is ...more
Dara S.
This was very well written. I would have given it 5 stars, but since the book was written there have been some controversy about some of the untruths in the story of her capture that were manufactured by the author.
Good writing. The most interesting part of this story, in my opinion, was how Jessica's home town rallied around to support her family and pray for her. There were other parts of the book that dragged.
Barbra
I had heard about Jessica Lynch some time ago and when I came across the book decided I would give it a try. It's the story of this girl's courage and fortitude when she was made a POW in Iraq.

Back Cover Blurb:
On March 23, 2003, Private First Class Jessica Lynch was crossing the Iraqi desert with the 507th Maintenance Company when the convoy she was travelling in was ambushed, caught in enemy cross fire. All four soldiers travelling with her died in the attack. Lynch, one of the most famous POW'
Heather
This is the story of Jessica Lynch, as told to Rick Bragg. Jessica is a small town West Virginia girl who decided to join the Army just out of high school. Her decision was easy; she wanted to see the world, get a college education, come back home and be a kindergarten teacher. Jessica's story captured the minds and hearts of the world, but the story told was not entirely factual and until this point was not told by Jessi herself. Through media, here say and Governmental sensationalism her story ...more
Susan Grodsky
Rick Bragg can be wonderful but this book is a potboiler written for quick cash. Bragg evokes the predictable theme of "down home country girl comes home from war to the hearty embrace of her simple salt of the earth family and friends." It's an appealing cliche but Bragg is more interesting and more believable when he probes the darker aspects of rural America.

By adhering so closely to his made to sell theme, Bragg ignores the more interesting questions. Why did the convey's mission go so fata
Patti
Really enjoyed the book. It makes me sick to find out that she was beaten up so bad that the doctors thought she had been shot, and that she was sexually anally abused. This abuse went on for three hours which fortunately Jessica has no recollection. It was heartwarming the compassion she received from doctors and nurses once she was transferred from Iraq military hospital to a civilian hospital. She was acutally on the operating table about to get her leg amputated for propaganda purposes. She ...more
Ronald Ward
More in depth details of Jessica Lynch.

Coming from a patriotic, military family, I have followed the story of Jessica Lynch from day one. This book gives a behind the scenes look at the rest of the story. Views not only from Jessica, but family members too. Very good read and insightful.
Brianna L.
I Am a Soilder, Too.
Autobiography
Rick Bragg

Jessica Lynch, a 19-year old girl who joins the 507th (army) is captured by Iraq after her humvee crashes. Her and her best friend, Lori Piestewa, get taken to a Iraq hospital. They get cared for but Lori dies of a bad head injurie and Jessi only had use of one arm. eventually Jessi is rescued and taken back to her home. She is in rehibilitation and is slowly learning how to walk again.

This story makes me feel deeper for the army. Listening to the sad a
Laurie
What a courageous young woman. There are no words to describe her ordeal and the hell her family went through not knowing where she was or what happened to her while she was missing. I thank God for His mercy and that He brought her home.
Rayni
Jan 31, 2010 Rayni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rayni by: It jumped out at me.
Shelves: 2010-reads, biography, war
I added a "war" bookshelf just for this book. I wish Goodreads would give us a choice of half stars & I would have given it 4.5 stars. This was a real eye-opener & Bragg did a great job of reporting it.

It's amazing how the media can twist the truth. Bragg did a wonderful job of correcting those errors & in his reporting made it a "good" read. In a M*A*S*H episode Major Frank Burns said, "We all know it's brutal up there at the front, especially those of us at the rear." The 507th Mai
dora
full of patriotic mish mash but then also has a drescription of the wounds she recieved that her mind doesnt remember the torture she was put through. pretty sad that humans can do things like this to other humans and be proud of it! ahhh religious wars...
the worst part of this story is that the whole country (if not world) focused on the one person who survived and almost totally ignored those other people who died in this attack. her best friend was in the vehicle with her and after all was do
Vaughn
This book gave me incite to today's military and not my father's military. Touches the heart, as I'm also a girl who grew up in a rural community and value the same things she did/does. Her experience is humbling to us who take for granted many things. I only gave 3 stars, bc I didn't really care for the way the book was written by the author--choppy, short, and hard for me to find a flow. But Jessica picked him to write her book, so who am I to criticize??
Jaclynn
I had heard about Jessica and her story briefly in the news some years ago, but was glad I finally got to read the whole thing. It is really amazing all that she went through and what got her through it was her determination to live. Unfortunately, the book is not really clear on what Jessica’s faith is comprised of, but I have no doubt after reading this that God had/has a special plan for her life. There is some language in the book.
Terri
a good reminder of what our military faces and how grateful i am for them.
while i am in my warm home, brave soldiers, like jessica lynch are putting their lives on the line.
all the reports i had heard and read about this incident were quite different from the actual happenings.
i enjoyed the authors reading on the cd too, he has a great southern voice, perfect for this story.
Nancynova
Sparsely told, with just what is believed to be the facts that can be verified and no filler - which is good. It is still uncertain what injuries occurred when the Humvee crashed and what occurred during the first 3 hours that she was unconcious. Keep a Kleenex handy, during the later half. I don't know how anyone could have gone through what this young girl did, and survive.
Leslie
I listened to this book on audio, and it was really good. Rick Bragg does the narration, and his voice perfectly captures the story with his Southern accent. He paints a portrait of the town Jessica grew up in and her childhood, then details her capture and rescue. Rick Bragg takes you there and makes you feel as if you are in the moment.
Jacki
I could not stop turning the pages of this book that depicts America's ill equiped invasion into Iraq. Jessica Lynch tells a moving story about her capture and subsequent rescue from American troops. She adds in a subtle way the account of the Bush invasion as fighting his daddy's war. Made me cry, could have been one of my daughters.
Emily
I really thought this book would be more inspirational than it was. There was extensive background information and a little bit of Jessica's story.

Growing up in the country and close to West Virginia, I was very much able to relate to the rural life style described in the book.

I did finish it, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Dorinda Abner
I was very interested in what happened to Jessica, but most of the book was about her civilian life. I was glad to read that part too but it was not her writing but rather a telling of her story. It was good, but not enough details to any of her service. I am glad I read it, and am proud of her, and all our soldiers.
Emily
AMAZING!!!! I finished this book in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. This book gives us a little bit of insight about is what is going on overseas, while we sit at the table, in our heated houses and sip our hot coffee. Jessica's story is truly one of bravery, pain, heartache, and celebration. MUST READ!!!!
Lennie
It was interesting to read Jessica's personal account of her experience as a POW because it was so different from what was reported in the newspaper. I felt this was a good book to read because I learned about the horrors of war and it makes me appreciate the men and women who serve in the military.
This book was not what I expected in that it focused mainly on Jessica, her background, and her family while still giving enough insight into her capture to paint a clear picture of the horror through which she must have lived. I read this book in one sitting and found it to be particularly moving.
Courtney
Rick Bragg does a nice job of telling Jessica's story. At times, you can feel yourself with her in the hospital or at home. The people of her small town in West Virginia seem like such a nice crowd of people in how they helped her return home. She is a brave young woman to have gone through what she did.
Florence
Nothing special. Ms. Lynch was doing her job, and was taken hostiage. Over all she was not miss treated and they were trying to treat her injuries when the USA found her. Over all the book was poorly done. I wish she would have writen her own book, then I would have been a little less harsh.
Drake 6: My book review 1 5 Mar 12, 2013 06:36PM
  • I'm Still Standing: From Captive U.S. Soldier to Free Citizen--My Journey Home
  • Old Testament Student Manual 1: Genesis - 2 Samuel
  • Lovesick Blues: The Life of Hank Williams
  • Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Honestly
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • The LDS Scriptures: Unabridged Complete King James Version Holy Bible /The Book of Mormon / Doctrine and Covenants / The Pearl of Great Price
  • The Day John Died
  • Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq
  • No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
Rick Bragg is the Pulitzer Prize winning writer of best-selling and critically acclaimed books on the people of the foothills of the Appalachians, All Over but the Shoutin, Ava's Man, and The Prince of Frogtown.

Bragg, a native of Calhoun County, Alabama, calls these books the proudest examples of his writing life, what historians and critics have described as heart-breaking anthems of people usual
More about Rick Bragg...
All Over But the Shoutin' Ava's Man The Prince of Frogtown Somebody Told Me: The Newspaper Stories of Rick Bragg The Most They Ever Had

“the unwritten rule of engagement had been “If it looks hostile, shoot it.” 0 likes
“a man should not be cruel to things weaker than himself,” 0 likes