Start by marking “Eyes of a Child” as Want to Read:
Eyes of a Child

Eyes of a Child (Christopher Paget #3)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,319 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Richard North Patterson's thrilling new novel tells a multifaceted story that pierces the public drama of a sensational murder trial to probe the inner lives of the men and women at its heart.

In San Francisco, Ricardo Arias is found dead in his apartment. The evidence might confirm suicide, but it also strongly suggests murder. The police investigation quickly uncovers a m
Audio
Published July 4th 2000 by Random House Audio (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of a Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes of a Child

David
Feb 26, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
This was an excellent and well-written book. It WAS NOT a great mystery. Believe me, even Forrest Gump could have followed the trail the author left here.. HOWEVER...

Patterson explores a terrifying custody battle between a woman and her narcisstic/sociopathic husband. His charming personality appears to be convincing everyone (mental health professionals, court liasons, etc) he is nothing but a doting, loving, concerned father. Meanwhile, he is torturing his wife with his accusations, etc. At le
Kristy Trauzzi
Apr 04, 2010 Kristy Trauzzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like mysteries
This book was neat. I have read the true crime novels and you didn't get a lot of background info on the individual person. It was point by point the details of how the crime went down. And the cases. And no back ground info. This book gave you a good back ground story on their characters. You got to feel for them. You got to figure out their history and their lives and everything good. THEN you heard about the trial. Of course, it's not real so things that happened wouldn't be allowed in real c ...more
Linda Gosslin
Sep 29, 2007 Linda Gosslin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in a series featuring Christopher Paget, this is an excellent read. Christopher's associate, Teri Peralta, leaves her manipulative and abusive husband. Child custody issues arise and suspicions of child molestation begin to infuse the story. As Teri and Christopher begin a relationship, complications seem to destroy their chances of creating a stable family for their children. Christopher's fifteen year old son Carlos becomes a central figure in the accusations and suspicions. Richie, ...more
Bev Taylor
Dec 28, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
chris paget is a defence lawyer. now he needs one of his own

ricardo arias is found dead in his apt, shot in the mouth and a suicide note. but was it?

he is separated from his wife terri and has custody of their 6 year old daughter. to complicate things chris is now involved emotionally with terri whop works for him. but their affair only started after she left her husband

plenty of motive but of course it goes much deeper than that - especially when politics r involved

chris is soon on trial an
Venkatraman Ramachandran
Eyes of a child is a tale of sadness, pain and harassment. Author possibly intended to make an honest effort in explaining harsh reality of a very unfortunate and unthinkable phenomenon prevalent in today's society. Story lacks connectivity and flow, drags along for most part of the book. Characters lack power and conviction in spite of sentimental way in which all of them are portrayed.

On one hand, it explains fragile nature of kids in today's world and lack of much needed parental attention t
Aug 20, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Gates leaned back, pulling herself more tightly together: it seemed clear to Caroline that what she was about to do violated her deepest professional beliefs. 'My sessions with Mr. Arias,' she said at length, 'indicated intense self-absorption; a profound lack of empathy for others; a disrespect for social norms and accepted rules of behavior; a tendency to project his own faults on other people; a lack of interest in anyone else's feelings or beliefs; a high degree of dishonesty and manipulati ...more
Patsy
Oct 02, 2014 Patsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A man has been found dead, a gun still wedged in his mouth. It looks like Ricardo Arias killed himself…but the physical evidence tells a different story. The police investigation turns up all sorts of troubling data—a bitter estrangement between Ricardo and his wife, Terri; an ugly custody battle over their six-year-old daughter, Elena; charges of child molestation. And before long there’s a murder suspect: San Francisco defense attorney and political hopeful Christopher Paget.

But where’s the mo
Jak60
Sep 28, 2015 Jak60 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eyes of a Child is the third novel of the Paget series I read; here, a gloomy and rather oppressive atmosphere pervades the whole story. This is what makes it different from the previous two, and other RNP's, novels.
Other reviews suggest that anyone can easily guess the culprit in the first quarter of the book; I did not think this was true, what is true is that mystery is not meant to be the central point of the plot here, but you have at least two (if not three) characters who "could have don
MaryAnn
Jun 14, 2016 MaryAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I've read this book & always enjoy it. All the many situations going on are very deep & so obviously could happen to any of us. For the grace of God, my daughter's father could have been Ricardo-there were certainly strong similarities to their personalities.
This time around, the one thing I found annoying was Terri & Chris's relationship. In spite of everything going on & loving their children, they still tended to push them aside at times in favor of the
Jean Haberman
I like Richard North Patterson's writing style. This book was a little long and drawn-out, but worth my time. The whole story centered around the investigation and court case of the killing (suicide?) of Ricardo Arias. Terri had just left Ricardo and immediately started a romance with her boss, Christopher Paget. Ricardo was a sociopath who sexually molested their daughter and blamed Christopher's son Carlos of molesting their daughter. It is scary to think of how accusations can damage someone' ...more
Jeremy Owen
Jun 16, 2014 Jeremy Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long-ish but rewarding if you stick with it . Really absorbing story with a good mix of likeable and loathsome characters .

Paget is battling the establishment when he dares to put himself forward for the political world .His enemies jump at the chance to stitch him up when he has some success with the start of his campaign but misjudge the loyalties of the legal profession who consider Christopher one of their own .

Some serious mud-slinging sticks and a major court case ensues gripping the read
Deb Stephens
Feb 05, 2010 Deb Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author puts Grisham to shame... so many twists and turns. Great story teller & this is one fantastic book.
Susan
Nov 01, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Keith Douthett
Shelves: fiction
Not particularly hard to guess who the murderer is or what happened to cause them to murder the person. I guessed this from very very early on in the book actually and though my dad was surprised that I could guess this so easily, and that he couldn't I thought it wasn't really trying to convince you away from that conclusion.

My dad however did make the comment that he thought "wouldn't an author try to lead you towards assuming it was someone obvious and so shouldn't you guess that there actual
Betsy
Sep 12, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
by chapter 3 I knew Who I suspected 'did it'. What made this book enjoyable reading is that it delivered, mystery,suspense, court room trial, unique but highly believable characters, Mothers POV Dad POV, and as the title implys an excellent Child's POV, a slime ball Husband POV, and a Grandmothers POV. While it may seem like too many POV's as the reader you don't actually realize all these POV's are there...till you have finished the book and then you realize the gift Richard North Patterson has ...more
Molly
This book was too long - for me at least, considering I figured out the whole "who dunnit" part just about half-way through. So then I had to muddle my way through all the hint dropping the rest of the way. I lost interest but made it through. Because of this disinterest, I had lots of time to notice things like the author's love for the word "elliptical."

This is a crime/court thriller set in San Francisco focused on an ugly custody battle that ends in a suicide. Of course, no one really believe
aPriL does feral sometimes
I'm still trying to figure what the title had to do with how the story plays out. Elena, the child, witnesses and experiences horrible things, but her age - 6 years old - has most of the adults making pretzels out of themselves to contain her experiences and shape her life into normalcy, so much so she primarily is either given a chapter or two showing us bad dreams about a dog, or she is living a normal life while the adults wonder why she is a bit sad. Until all is revealed at the end the read ...more
Julia
May 15, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down. The detailed courtroom procedings were the most interesting for me. Cynical but probably accurate view of the jury selection process. The main character, murder suspect Christopher Paget, is a lawyer. Some of the discussions between him and the attorney representing him were fascinating. (view spoiler).
Andy
Aug 25, 2015 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked it up and stuck with it because of the amazing reviews, which I'm afraid I have to disagree with.
About 200 pages too long. The courtroom drama doesn't even start till around page 300. The ending was very predictable. I didn't particularly like any of the characters. This is a shame, because the underlying issues of child abuse, sociopathy, etc. are important and the author seems to have done his research on these topics.
Joy
Apr 07, 2012 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ricardo Arias is found dead, the gun still wedged in his mouth. It looks like suicide, but the physical evidence strongly suggests murder. The police investigation uncovers an estranged wife, Terri Peralta; an ugly custody battle over their six-year-old daughter, Elena; heated charges of child abuse; and a murder suspect: San Francisco defense attorney Christopher Paget.

Paget has motive--it's his son accused of abusing Elena, his political plans for the future put at risk by the dead man's accus
Alvera
Jun 07, 2015 Alvera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started slow for me, and with so many pages, I considered abandoning it on multiple occassions. I'm glad I didn't. It's a story with a lot of darkness that exposes the frustrations and limitations of various systems, and yet it ends on an upbeat note, a note of hope.
Alistaire King
Very much a by the numbers legal thriller. Little in the way of surprises and with just a little thought you should be able to work out the killer. Other people may like it but for me it's very formulaic and characters who really are either amazingly noble and good and one who is just plain evil with no redeeming features.
Austin Gaghadar
Aug 27, 2015 Austin Gaghadar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found the premise very interesting and the characters highly engaging and not all black and white with a constant wish to read on to see what would happen and a very good ending that I did not anticipate.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder made up to look like suicide, a custody battle with an estranged wife, child abuse accusations and an alibi that is mighty suspicious...all weave through this thrilling mystery.
Sue Evans
Jun 07, 2015 Sue Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second half of this book was quite gripping. Early on, when it seemed like the reader knew what happened I was wondering what the rest of the book could be about. A lot of surprises
Marcia Bergeron
A decent book. I figured out the killer early on because the accused was not the murdering type. It had a lot of twists & turns so made for a good read.
Valen
Jun 03, 2014 Valen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't quite remember it as well as I should. It's been a while, but I remember it being painfully relatable. It's a great book written by a stellar author.
Emily
May 27, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterson's Eyes of a Child is a masterpiece. I enjoyed every moment from start to finish. Every page reveals a little bit more, taking the reader on a gripping journey from beginning to end. I highly recommend this book.
Ricardo
Jul 01, 2014 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, well-written, interesting and well-developed characters, and a nice twist at the end
Harold Trader
Feb 12, 2014 Harold Trader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read. Recommend it highly. Have read most of r n patterson's books.
Doree
Jan 18, 2015 Doree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just wasn't for me. I did not warm up to most of the characters, especially the little girl's dad. I have to admit I did not finish this book. I found it rather annoying that no one could see through the dad at the beginning.

• The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County, #4)
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Family Secrets: The Path to Self-Acceptance and Reunion
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Missing
  • Abuse Of Power
  • After Dark
  • Joanna's Husband and David's Wife
Richard North Patterson is the author of fourteen previous bestselling and critically acclaimed novels. Formerly a trial lawyer, Patterson served as the SEC’s liaison to the Watergate special prosecutor and has served on the boards of several Washington advocacy groups dealing with gun violence, political reform, and women’s rights. He lives in San Francisco and on Martha’s Vineyard.
Macmillan.com
More about Richard North Patterson...

Christopher Paget (4 books)
  • The Lasko Tangent: A Novel (Christopher Paget, #1)
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)