Start by marking “Overwhelming Odds” as Want to Read:
Overwhelming Odds

Overwhelming Odds

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Susan O'Leary recounts the miraculous and triumphant fight of her then 9-year-old son to survive and recover from a devastating burn covering 98% of his body. The book unveils a truth of universal importance, namely, by helping others in need we can become their miracles.
Published June 10th 2004 by Mahaon, Kompanija, ZAO (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Overwhelming Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overwhelming Odds

Tarah Wyatt
May 12, 2015 Tarah Wyatt rated it really liked it
This book is about the motivational speaker John O'Leary who was burnt badly as a child, from his parent's perspective. I could not imagine experiencing any sort of tragedy with my children and still being able to remain strong in my faith. These parents were able to do it, with all of the love and support they were given. Great story and a fast read.
Anna
Mar 25, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
This is a great story of perseverance and trusting in the Lord. If you are in need of a good inspirational read, you should check out this book.
Jt
Feb 19, 2016 Jt added it
Shelves: biography
Was given this book as a gift and read it in one setting. Was such a great story of overcoming a tough situation.
AJ
Jun 05, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it
inspiring true story. worth the read and I highly recommend seeing John speak
Susan
Jan 24, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
I loved my cousins book!
Rachael
Jul 21, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it
This a very moving (and really unbelievable) story of a local, STL boy who survived burns that covered 98% of his body. He was given less than 1% chance to survive. Today, he is a 35yr old man w. a wife, 2 kids and is a motivational speaker. He spoke to our book club and was incredibly inspiring. He is a beautiful man and has a beautiful story to tell of a family's love, the support of a community and the strength of his spirit. This book is written by his parents. He should write a book as well ...more
Cori
May 11, 2014 Cori rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
There is a strong overriding theme of God's mercy and purpose from a Roman Catholic viewpoint, but nonetheless a touching and inspirational story that is well worth reading.
Jane
Nov 15, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing
Sharon
Sep 01, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
I read the book after hearing John O'Leary speak. He was amazing, positive and emotional. The book written by his mother, focuses more on a combination of the facts, the logistics, but also combined with answering serious questions of faith,prayer, and service.
Maria
May 10, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing
A very quick read. This was an inspirational story from a mom's perspective of a terrible accident that occurred to her son and their long road back through recovery. It was very inspirational to hear their faith behind all the challenges, trials and hardships.
Spencer F.
Jun 15, 2011 Spencer F. rated it it was amazing
Very well written. Inspiring story, not only about John O'Leary, but of his supportive community - religious, neighbors, athletes, and many others. A very fast read and well worth the reading. In his adulthood, John is also the real deal.
Kelly Klevorn
Jun 17, 2013 Kelly Klevorn rated it it was amazing
A great story about an amazing boy with such a positive attitude. I had the honor of hearing him speak and he is an amazing motivational speaker!
Nanci Robertson
Nov 27, 2013 Nanci Robertson rated it really liked it
Excellent true story of a 9 year old boy who poured gasoline onto an open fire and suffered burns over 93% of his body. Book written by his parents.
Liz Kleiner
Mar 22, 2012 Liz Kleiner rated it liked it
I know John, the man (boy then) who was burned. He is a great man with a wonderful perspective. Very inspiring!
Lisa
Jul 13, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Amazing true story. I like to have my nursing students read this one.
Jeanne
Nov 03, 2013 Jeanne rated it liked it
If this book doesn't make you believe in miracles, nothing will.
Mya
Dec 02, 2013 Mya added it
It was a very good book but was sad ay some times.
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Sharon Zenik
Sharon Zenik is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Pati  A. Frugoli
Pati A. Frugoli rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2016
Margot Sahrmann
Margot Sahrmann rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Traci Boschert
Traci Boschert marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Apr 06, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Keely A Travers
Keely A Travers rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Debbie Wischmeyer
Debbie Wischmeyer marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Estelle
Estelle rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Sara Osilka
Sara Osilka marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016