Start by marking “The Way of the Apprentice (Star Wars: Jedi Quest, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Apprentice (Star Wars: Jedi Quest, #1)

The Way of the Apprentice (Star Wars: Jedi Quest #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,444 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Fourteen-year-old Anakin Skywalker is strong in the ways of the Force. His lightsaber skills are exceptional, and his piloting is legendary. He should be an ideal Jedi apprentice. And yet, there is so much he still has to learn. It is up to Obi-Wan Kenobi to teach him these things. But on a mission to a planet threatened by toxic disaster, Obi-Wan and Anakin are separated. ...more
Audio
Published April 13th 2010 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Apprentice

Shadowdenizen
Jan 22, 2016 Shadowdenizen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This series kinda "Does it" for me.

Sure, the writing is simplistic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! In fact, it actually allows me to become more invested in the plot and characters if I don't have to parse the meaning behind some obscure word or verbose sentence.

And, despite the robustness of the Star Wars Universe, it really is Anakins saga, from beginning to end. (The shadow of Anakin/Darth Vader even looms larger over the new moves thus far), so it's always good to get more info and
Amanda
Jun 01, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series once before, 6 years ago, and I really enjoyed. I'm re-reading it again and I still find myself pretty entertained. There are a lot of low star ratings for this book and the following ones. I don't quite understand why. It's a children's series, so you have to keep that in mind while reading. Regardless, I still find the content mature enough to enjoy. I think I just really agree with Watson's take on Anakin and Obi-Wan. I think she stays true to the characters while adding ex ...more
pamsreading

What a good YA! Written through a perspective of a mentally disturbed youth who's doomed to become a villain. This novel however further illustrates how the process of making an enemy of society often starts at school through taunting and bullying, as well as teachers picking favourites. In combination with mental illness the result is far from impressive.

Many young adults can very well relate to this, instead of having a generic chaotic morally good protagonist we have a hopelessly romantic sel

Revol Koob
Feb 25, 2017 Revol Koob added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Revol Koob by: My amazing big bro
Jude Watson is actually a pretty good author, but the Finnish translation seems rushed and could be a lot better and smoother. However, it's not terrible. The little nods to the Jedi Apprentice series and the parrallels reveal a bit more of the differences of the many characters.
Amy Sturgis
I love Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice series and the many insights it provides on the relationship between Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, during the key years of Obi-Wan's apprenticeship.

The Jedi Quest series (which, like the Jedi Apprentice series, now is considered Legends, not canon) follows Anakin Skywalker's apprenticeship with Obi-Wan in between Episode I and Episode II. While Watson foreshadows Anakin's fall well and points out some tragic fault lines inherent in
Darryl Dobbs
Ten adventures that help us get to know Anakin Skywalker, as well as the relationship between he and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Getting to know Anakin made me like him. The movie failed to do that, but watching the movie after these books really did make it better.

I'll just review the 10 novellas here.

Anakin loves gadgets and has a knack for putting things together, building on what Phantom Menace tells us. He loves fiddling with gadgets in his spare time and that’s pretty much all he does in his early tee
Luke Ewell
Dec 10, 2014 Luke Ewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3rd-grade
Anakin has to save a planet from a toxic disaster with the help of another padawan and a rival. They found out that the leader betrays the planet and that the planet nearby attacks the city and wants all the people to get off because of the toxic chemicals. They use MTT (battle tanks that store droids) to attack their masters and the padawans split up to teams. Anakin and Tru get on the MTT and stop it from killing the Jedi Masters.
Morgan
Jan 18, 2016 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technically a reread, but when I first read it about six years ago, I only read half the series. It's surprisingly well written. It's Star Wars, so theologically it's not fantastic, but there are still good morals. And Obi-Wan. And Jude Watson makes me like Anakin more than George Lucas ever did. And I like Darra. Well developed characters all round.
Steve
Aug 26, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it that Anakin was able to make friend's with Tur. Anakin ability to fix the droids homing device sow that they cud find the raiders. I love the way that Anakin was able to crash through the wall in the MTT to save the others.
Eric Sullenberger
Possible Spoiler Alert: I am going to attempt to review each of four Jedi Quest books that were turned into audiobooks together at the beginning of the review. I listened to them all in a row and there is little distinction between them in my mind and so I may, without intending to do so, give details away. I believe that the audio productions were all unabridged, but it is possible that they were abridged and there are parts of the story I am unfamiliar with. Following this paragraph is my revi ...more
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #84

Background: The Way of the Apprentice was written by Jude Watson and published in April 2002. It is the "first" book of the Jedi Quest series, with Path To Truth (my review) classified as an "introductory" novel to the series.

The Way of the Apprentice is set 27 years before the Battle of Yavin, when Anakin is 14. The book stars Obi-Wan and Anakin, along with Obi-Wan's old friend Siri and her apprentice (and Anakin's rival) Ferus Olin, plus several other Jedi charac
Thomas
The Way of the Apprentice continues the Jedi Quest series, even though this is volume one of the series. Path to Truth was a prologue of sorts, highlighting Anakin alone, but this book shows him among his peers at the Academy. Watson places Anakin at the same age as Obi-Wan was in Jedi Apprentice, and attempts to capture their relationship in a similar way. Unfortunately, Anakin's character lacks a lot of the empathy Obi-Wan did, even at that age, and the series is harder for me to like, especia ...more
Matthew
May 27, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Way of The Apprentice (Star Wars:Jedi Quest#1) is about Anakin’s story from when he first met Qui-Gon Jinn to when he was Married with Padme Amidala. When Qui-Gon Jinn first met Anakin he felt that Anakin was strong with the force. A couple years after Qui-Gon Jinn was killed by Darth Maul Anakin became a jedi. When Yoda first met him Yoda had felt a disturbance in the force.He felt that Anakin had fear which leads to anger which turns to evil.Yoda is worried,but Qui-Gon Jinn is not worrying ...more
Kay Iscah
Apr 29, 2014 Kay Iscah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to like this book. Not liking it would mean I wouldn't have to try to hunt down #2 or get sucked into a new series. Watson seemed to struggle with Anakin's character in the "Jedi Quest" hardback, but she got a handle on him here. The series is now promising the same level of quality that was established in "Jedi Apprentice" and will carry on with subplots or at least characters from that other series.

4.5 stars might be a more of an accurate rating. The book isn't quite "perfect" bu
Jen
Sep 24, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, read-with-kiddo
I got this book from the library to read with my 5 year old who is in love with the Star Wars universe. He has only seen Episode I and IV so I wanted a book that fit in the part of the story he has seen. This book is set after Episode I and follows Anakin Skywalker as a Padawan to Jedi Master Obi-Wan. As with all chapter books, I pre-read this book prior to suggesting it for one of our night time reads. It took me about an hour to read it alone so it is a quick read for adults. The storyline cov ...more
Jaime Krause
In many ways, Anakin is open-hearted. He wants so bad to right wrongs that we can see how he errs so horribly.
Everyone knows he's special.
So does he.

He doesn't have a close friend until Tru Veld helps him with a droid. Tru and his Master Ry-Gaul, Ferus Olin (Anakin's rival) and his Master Siri, and Darra and her Master Soara Antana join Obi-Wan & Anakin on a mission to Radnor. They're to help evacuate the citizens after a toxic cloud was accidentally(?) released. The Masters and Padawans a
Jerry
Aug 26, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This premiere novel in the kiddie space opera Jedi Quest series, written by longtime Star Wars author Jude Watson aka Judy Blundell, has a few traits going for it. First off, there were many years between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, so curiosity about the events in between made me want to check it out. Also, a more complex novel and better-known characters made this more enjoyable than any of the Jedi Apprentice books, save for the two "special editions". So, suffice it to say: ...more
Jose Gonzalez
Nov 08, 2016 Jose Gonzalez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one that loves star wars
Recommended to Jose by: myself
What i think was that this book was very good and the reason i chose this book is because star wars is one of my favorite types of books. All though some parts of this book were boring. Some parts were fun for example one of the parts where fun like when the battle droids took over a entire planet and the jedi and apprentice would have to battle the battle droids to win back the planet that the rebels own that was taken over by battle droids that won the war in the planet. poor o' jedi and rebel ...more
Little Obi Wan
Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker; Master and Apprentice.
Chosen by Fate. Destied for Conflict.

fourteen-year-old Anakin Skywalker ist strong in the ways of the force. He should be an ideal Jedi Apprentice. But there is so much, he still has to learn.
It is up to Obi-Wan Kenobi to teach him these things.

On this mission he has to learn to work together in order to survive. 4 Apprentices one of them is his rival, can he do it ?

Good read start the new serie jedi quest
Clara KJR
Jul 15, 2013 Clara KJR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first Star Wars book I ever read.

At the time I believe I'd only the original trilogy and episode II of the prequels, but there seemed to be a lot that didn't make sense. This book propelled me into the Star Wars fandom, which became something of an obsession to me for years to come.

A good read, in fact this whole series is, as is the Jedi Apprentice series.
Liz
Aug 28, 2008 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any kid and/or star wars fan
Back to my kids books- Luke and I are reading this together. There is action, excitement, a moral to learn (it's good to learn to work as a team!) and best of all, NO ROMANCE! Which is what you would expect from a book written primarily for 9-12 year old boys. I am a little romance'd out. It doesn't take much.
Дени Проданова
Приятно съм изненадана. Разкрива се много от личността на Анакин на младини. Дребни детайли в поведението и мислите му, които в последствие се развиват в образа, който познаваме от "Атаката на клонингите" нататък. Интересно е да се проследи как малкото момче от Татуин се превръща в дясната ръка на Императора (макар и тази книга да не стига чак толкова напред).
Jessie
Aug 27, 2010 Jessie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I'm not a fan of what the SW universe did to Anakin and this book didn't bode well for the series. I just don't care to read about how troubled he is. The only high point was the introduction of Ferus, but as with so much else in the universe, he can't be a truly compelling character when you know he will fail.
Angela
Suitable for ages 7+ and those who have seen the films.
Anakin is still learning to control his emotions,and is sent on a quest wit Obi Wan, and 2 other sets of jedi. A planet needs evacuating because of plague, but all is not what it seems. A decent read, even if it does have a predictable ending. Lots of chase and action sequences for the children to enjoy.
Lani
Dec 30, 2015 Lani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: back-in-the-day
I read this a long long time ago when my first descent into Star Wars hell happened. I think I was in third grade. I remember really liking this book, mostly cause I loved Anakin Skywalker and loved all the world building involving how the jedi are trained. I also really loved that he had friends, and I know that sounds odd, but it made my third grade self very happy.
Jamie Fessenden
Jan 02, 2012 Jamie Fessenden rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, star-wars
Very entertaining, if not terribly challenging. About junior high school level. We're pretty much hit over the head with the moral message, as one can expect with novels at this age level, but there is plenty of action and the story is a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jazzie
Aug 22, 2011 Jazzie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got really fed up with this book at times, I guess I should have been more lenient that this is more towards the YA genre but still. The longing of Obi Wan or Anakin and vice versa when they were separated on the planet was a bit much.
Molly Hayes
In general, this was an interesting introduction to the character of Anakin and his relationship with Obi Wan. I especially loved the way the novel focused on Anakin's differences from the other Padawans, and his interactions with Ferus were great as well.

3.5/5
Kristina
Although I love how well written all of Jude Watson's books are, Anakin drives me up a wall. Obi-Wan is as brilliant as ever, I loved the Jedi Apprentice series, and still enjoy seeing the connections to that.
Joe
Aug 25, 2012 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not an overly well-written story. My 7-yr old enjoyed reading it together so it was definitely worth the time.
  • Uprising (Star Wars Rebel Force, #6)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Vader's Fortress (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #5)
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
  • The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • Return to Ord Mantell (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #12)
  • The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)
  • Eaten Alive (Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear, #1)

“No one is keeping a score. We're all just trying to do the right thing.” 2 likes