Start by marking “The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: Unabridged Selections from The Frontier Stories: Volume 1” as Want to Read:

The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: Unabridged Selections from The Frontier Stories: Volume 1 (The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour #1)

No one more vividly captures the rugged majesty and enduring spirit of the American West than Louis L'Amour. Now, collected for the very first time, here are seven unabridged frontier tales from a legendary master of the genre. Volume One celebrates this remarkable voice in American fiction with a captivating blend of some of his best-beloved work.

Listeners are brought fa
Audio
Published November 4th 2003 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2003)

Werner
Oct. 23, 2015
L'Amour's many Western, or "Frontier," short stories have been gathered together in a three-volume set (itself part of a larger 7-vol. collection of all of the author's short fiction), under the imprint of Bantam Dell. (Goodreads only has records for each individual volume, not for the larger or smaller collections.) Since L'Amour is my wife's favorite author and his Western writing is what she particularly appreciates, I got her all three volumes for Christmas a few years ago. And
Elizabeth Lee
This was absolutely outstanding. I loved everything about it. There was only one story in this collection that I did not thoroughly enjoy, which unfortunately was the last story in the book, but that by no means ruined it for me.

I was enthralled by every page, and the action was so vivid and intense that at times, it was like watching a movie. The characters were believable and likable (or detestable when that was called for), and somehow Mr L'Amour managed to convey the entire essence of a man
Julie Davis
Dec 21, 2011 Julie Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what made me sample a few of Louis L'Amour's short story collections on my Kindle. I was surprised to find his stories compelling and so picked up this collection via Paperback Swap. He has a talent for making you speed to the end of the story even when you're fairly sure you know what will happen ... because you're only fairly sure and often he flips the story just a bit on you.

FINAL
I am now officially a fan of Louis L'Amour's short stories. Eventually I will try a novel but for no
David Barnes
Apr 02, 2008 David Barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son gave this book to me for my last birthday. I'm all about sustainability these days and this book has opened my eyes to our roots in these united states. We were not always obsessed with accumulating more "stuff". When the west was being "won" we made a lot a sacrifices to survive. That included being very resourceful with everything. We still don't exactly know what we have and how to change the world, but I believe we are on a path in that direction.
Judy
Sep 29, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every story in this book transports the reader to the old West. I felt the heat and dust of the desert, the cattle ranges, the loneliness of the frontier. Love L'Amour's writing style and so glad I found this book in a box that someone was tossing
Kathy
May 14, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful stories of the frontier written by a skilled wordsmith. If you've ever wondered what the Louis L'Amour fuss is about, try these stories, and you'll be hooked.
Mac Daly
Jan 08, 2017 Mac Daly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, western
These are short stories of the American west. While some of the stories are engaging, e.g an interesting mystery about a murder and the hunt for gold, others do not stand the test of time. There are too many racial slurs and prejudices for this to be an entertaining escape.
Bob Cantrell
Sep 23, 2014 Bob Cantrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A True Story Teller

I just like Louis L'amour stories. There is a simplicity to them that is a joy to read. Louis L'amour is a story teller and that is what you sometimes with a good story. The characters are either good or bad. Sometimes they start off bad but come to that fork in the road where they have to decide what they are going to do ride away from their life or continue on with the life of a bad man. Most chose unwisely and pay for their misdeeds and other just lose out to the better man
Robert
Aug 15, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one took me almost a whole year to read the darn thing! For me I think that is a new personal record. What can really be said about the man that lived his life like his stories. This is a great collection of his works and also includes a novella that has a whole slew of great western good guys and bad guys. Most story collections usually get only a four from me because the range of good to great to in between stories can factor into that variance. This book however, even with the amount of ...more
John Bruni
May 04, 2014 John Bruni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis L'Amour is my favorite writer of westerns. While he could--and often did--write the usual paint-by-numbers story, he was at his finest when he was doing things that no one would have expected from the genre. He used females as protagonists, he didn't use Native Americans as the bad guys and he showed that violence is not always the answer. These three concepts were unheard of in the world of westerns back then. This is a fine collection. My favorites are probably "The Gift of Cochise" and ...more
Ric Piehl
Aug 26, 2014 Ric Piehl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Louis L'Amour books in 1986 and have read every single book written by him although I started with just his westerns. This book is one of the best short story collections that I have read by anyone. AND the big news is at the end of this one which I think it's a great idea that may change paperback books in the future. Especially in western books, having illustrations that go with what is happening in the story at the time, as long as it is a good illustrator this could be grou ...more
Seth
I listened to this collection over a few days while driving. I think my favorite was "The Defense of Sentinel," about a town drunk who wakes up to find the town deserted in advance of an Apache attack. He ends up successfully defending the city entirely alone, to the shock of the everyone. A few of the characters are flat and stereotypical (especially women), but overall these stories were a lot of fun.
Sharon
Mar 02, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

Mr. L'Amour's characters are engaging: the frontier women are strong and the outlaws are sensitive. His historical settings of deserts, frontier towns and mining shacks are memorable. And his plots are fun, suspenseful and unforgettable.

I couldn't put it down. I'm officialy a L'Amour convert.
Lynda
Jun 08, 2016 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I love L'Amour's style of writing. I have truly missed him since his death. the man simply knew how to tell a story whether it be short or long. His descriptions of the West seem to be exactly right , even perfect . Finding this set of short stories was like finding new L'Amour stories that I had not seen before. The thing about L'Amour is you never mind reading a story of his twice.
Chaundra
I grew up reading and having Louis L'Amour novels and short stories read to me and I frequently reach for them to remember the fond times of my childhood. This collection has several well-loved stories as well as some I hadn't read before. Generally it is quite well put together with about 4 or 5 distinct themed groupings. Enjoyable and just what I needed at this moment in time.
Susan
Jun 07, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3 in 1 volume including *The Strong Shall Live *Buckskin Run *War Party. Some of these have been published in other works. I really liked these stories and of course they are good enough for the whole family to read.
Royce Ratterman
Aug 26, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous listening for the commuter.
I thoroughly enjoyed each tales - well enacted.
Overall, a good work for the researcher and enthusiast.
- found this work's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the work's contribution to my needs.
Jerry Blackerby
Aug 10, 2014 Jerry Blackerby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Louis L'amour books. I have read a large number of his books, including short story collections. This collection was almost entirely stories and a novella I had never read, including some Sackett stories.
Livia
Feb 21, 2008 Livia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Livia by: Josh Bernstein
Shelves: louis-l-amour
This is the beginning of a Louis L'Amour addiction; the short stories have given me a feel for what frontier life was like.
Sabrina Lyons smith
A great collection of short western stories to read. I believe there are 8 books in the collection series set. I started reading these after learning Louis L'Amour was my father's favorite writer.
Monique Bird
Aug 20, 2015 Monique Bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I have read many of his short stories, just not in one large book like they have here. I had to tag this one though because I adore his story: The Defense of Sentinel.
Jim A
Sep 20, 2015 Jim A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something in this for every lover of western tales. Quite a few short stories plus a novella.

Every now and again, everyone should read a L'Amour story or two.
Ramona
Mar 01, 2011 Ramona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love stories of the old west! Some of the stories are better than others, but overall worth reading.
Bob Lenning
Great reading. Nearly the last is pretty much a novella rather than a short story, 9 short chapters I believe. That story was surely the best for my taste.
Jackie
Oct 08, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'Amour is a great way to look into how America was in her early, frontier days. It's not necessarily the most popular period to look into these days, but I think this guy more or less nailed it...
Julie
Feb 21, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are great to read a story hear and there. I read one then go clean, read one, clean some more... You can put it down after a story and not leave a book in the middle of anything!
Ryan Stewart
Jul 08, 2012 Ryan Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the short-story form for quick, digestible bits. Not quite as good as his longer form books, but perfect for a quick story before bed or on the go.
Rich
Audio was excellent. Keeping my copy for a re-listen and also have a printed version (also a keeper).
Paul
Aug 23, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides some of the very best this great American author has to offer. It's not a genre that appeals to everyone, but these stories are enjoyable.
Luke Kolley
Jan 12, 2008 Luke Kolley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I don't like westerns. I only read one of the short stories and it put me to sleep in about 5 minuets.
  • The Border Legion
  • Hemingway on Hunting
  • Bull Hunter
  • Colorado! (Wagons West, #7)
  • Fortune's Journey
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
  • The Killing Season (Trail of  the Gunfighter, #2)
  • The Giant Joshua
  • I'll Ask You Three Times, Are You OK?: Tales of Driving and Being Driven
  • The Violent Land (The Family Jensen, #3)
  • The Tonto Woman and Other Western Stories
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour (7 books)
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 2: Frontier Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: The Frontier Stories: Volume Three
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 4: The Adventure Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 5: Frontier Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 6: The Crime Stories (v. 6)
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 7: The Frontier Stories

“Yet Tanneman was a man grown up to danger and trouble, knowing nothing else, and for the first time he was acting with conscious, deliberate purpose.” 1 likes
“The clouds hung like dark, blowing tapestries in the gaps of the hills.” 1 likes