The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: Unabridged Selections from The Frontier Stories: Volume 1 (The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  487 ratings  ·  22 reviews
No one more vividly captures the rugged majesty and enduring spirit of the American West than Louis L'Amour. Now, collected for the very first time, here are seven unabridged frontier tales from a legendary master of the genre. Volume One celebrates this remarkable voice in American fiction with a captivating blend of some of his best-beloved work.

Listeners are brought fac...more
Audio
Published November 4th 2003 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour

Julie Davis
I'm not sure what made me sample a few of Louis L'Amour's short story collections on my Kindle. I was surprised to find his stories compelling and so picked up this collection via Paperback Swap. He has a talent for making you speed to the end of the story even when you're fairly sure you know what will happen ... because you're only fairly sure and often he flips the story just a bit on you.

FINAL
I am now officially a fan of Louis L'Amour's short stories. Eventually I will try a novel but for no...more
Elizabeth
This was absolutely outstanding. I loved everything about it. There was only one story in this collection that I did not thoroughly enjoy, which unfortunately was the last story in the book, but that by no means ruined it for me.

I was enthralled by every page, and the action was so vivid and intense that at times, it was like watching a movie. The characters were believable and likable (or detestable when that was called for), and somehow Mr L'Amour managed to convey the entire essence of a man...more
David Barnes
My son gave this book to me for my last birthday. I'm all about sustainability these days and this book has opened my eyes to our roots in these united states. We were not always obsessed with accumulating more "stuff". When the west was being "won" we made a lot a sacrifices to survive. That included being very resourceful with everything. We still don't exactly know what we have and how to change the world, but I believe we are on a path in that direction.
Sharon
I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

Mr. L'Amour's characters are engaging: the frontier women are strong and the outlaws are sensitive. His historical settings of deserts, frontier towns and mining shacks are memorable. And his plots are fun, suspenseful and unforgettable.

I couldn't put it down. I'm officialy a L'Amour convert.
Susan
This is a 3 in 1 volume including *The Strong Shall Live *Buckskin Run *War Party. Some of these have been published in other works. I really liked these stories and of course they are good enough for the whole family to read.
Livia
Feb 21, 2008 Livia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Livia by: Josh Bernstein
Shelves: louis-l-amour
This is the beginning of a Louis L'Amour addiction; the short stories have given me a feel for what frontier life was like.
John Bruni
Louis L'Amour is my favorite writer of westerns. While he could--and often did--write the usual paint-by-numbers story, he was at his finest when he was doing things that no one would have expected from the genre. He used females as protagonists, he didn't use Native Americans as the bad guys and he showed that violence is not always the answer. These three concepts were unheard of in the world of westerns back then. This is a fine collection. My favorites are probably "The Gift of Cochise" and...more
Ric Piehl
I started reading Louis L'Amour books in 1986 and have read every single book written by him although I started with just his westerns. This book is one of the best short story collections that I have read by anyone. AND the big news is at the end of this one which I think it's a great idea that may change paperback books in the future. Especially in western books, having illustrations that go with what is happening in the story at the time, as long as it is a good illustrator this could be grou...more
Seth
I listened to this collection over a few days while driving. I think my favorite was "The Defense of Sentinel," about a town drunk who wakes up to find the town deserted in advance of an Apache attack. He ends up successfully defending the city entirely alone, to the shock of the everyone. A few of the characters are flat and stereotypical (especially women), but overall these stories were a lot of fun.
Jerry Blackerby
I love Louis L'amour books. I have read a large number of his books, including short story collections. This collection was almost entirely stories and a novella I had never read, including some Sackett stories.
Chaundra
I grew up reading and having Louis L'Amour novels and short stories read to me and I frequently reach for them to remember the fond times of my childhood. This collection has several well-loved stories as well as some I hadn't read before. Generally it is quite well put together with about 4 or 5 distinct themed groupings. Enjoyable and just what I needed at this moment in time.
Alisha Kennedy
My first read by L'more was "Off the Mangrove Coast". I have been hooked ever since.
Judy
Every story in this book transports the reader to the old West. I felt the heat and dust of the desert, the cattle ranges, the loneliness of the frontier. Love L'Amour's writing style and so glad I found this book in a box that someone was tossing
Ben Davis
Lots of short stories. Many of them are about 10 pages long. I've read a few before, but some were new. Great book for casual reading when you don't have a lot of time.
Sabrina
I can see why John Wayne was a fan of L'Amiur. He definitely knows how to tell a sorrow complete with cowboys, Indians, horses and wide open spaces.
Ryan Stewart
Loved the short-story form for quick, digestible bits. Not quite as good as his longer form books, but perfect for a quick story before bed or on the go.
Paul
This book provides some of the very best this great American author has to offer. It's not a genre that appeals to everyone, but these stories are enjoyable.
Ramona
I love stories of the old west! Some of the stories are better than others, but overall worth reading.
Luke Kolley
I don't like westerns. I only read one of the short stories and it put me to sleep in about 5 minuets.
Joe Cox
I read these as an add on when I need a break. If I don't keep reading fun, I don't read.
Peter Charleston
A nice collection of short stories.
Marie
The best western stories ever.
Cws
LP L'Am
Scubadiver-steve
Scubadiver-steve marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Don
Don is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Lonnie Bosenko
Lonnie Bosenko marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Shane Belcher
Shane Belcher is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
  • The Border Legion
  • Colorado! (Wagons West, #7)
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
  • The Man in the Black Suit: 4 Dark Tales
  • A Calendar of Tales
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • Selected Tales and Sketches
  • Hemingway
  • The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods