Start by marking “I'm Not Going to Get Up Today” as Want to Read:

I'm Not Going to Get Up Today

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  3,500 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
I'm Not Going to Get Up Today read by Jason Alexander
Audio
Published June 27th 2006 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Going to Get Up Today, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kelli
Feb 27, 2016 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This lesser known story has to be one of my favorite books by Dr. Seuss. I was thrilled when my son grabbed it from the shelf today. It is a silly story that my children actually quote snippets of from time to time. Who can resist a story about a boy who is adamant about sleeping in? I live vicariously through that kid every time I read this book. I suspect I always will.
Jean
Feb 11, 2017 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jean by: Mohsin Maqbool
Theodor Seuss Geisel was an American writer, cartoonist and animator, best known to us for his children’s books. More than sixty of them were published under his pen name of “Dr. Seuss”, some of them the most popular children’s books of all time. They have sold over 600 million copies and been translated into more than 20 languages. “Dr. Seuss” was indeed a phenomenon.

Although he devoted most of his life to writing children’s books, “Dr. Seuss” had no children of his own, saying, “You have ‘em;
Pooja
Jan 24, 2017 Pooja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Come what may!

I am not going to get up today!
Mohsin Maqbool
Nov 28, 2016 Mohsin Maqbool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again a top-notch book by Dr. Seuss and this time with superb illustrations by James Stevenson.
It reminded me of my summer holidays in Calcutta when I used to sleep until 10 am or 10:30 am and it used to drive my eldest sibling mad. But the boy in "I am NOT Going to Get Up Today!" beat me at my game by totally refusing to get up.
His mother makes his favourite breakfast comprising of a large boiled egg and takes it to his room on a tray like hotel room service. However, it is no use.
His sib
Chris Gould
Dr Seuss - what happened, man? Compared to Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs/ Ham this is second-rate to put it politely. No story, weak concept, bad lazy message for the kids, lack of creativity. Probably paid you too big an advance. Capable of much better, mate!
Karen
Mar 21, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a cute, funny book. No deeper message, no made up Seuss-ian words. Just silly.
ZebraPrintRocks
My daughter didn't enjoy the book at all - the illustrations on the other hand, did keep her turning the pages.
It's a relatable enough book, but I believe the execution left something to be desired. Yes, of course there were rhymes, and that was probably the only thing that kept my daughter engaged reading it.
I was actually surprised how well she sounded out the "places" in the book that were mentioned. But, for a more novice reader, I could see that really getting annoying...oh so many hard wor
Vanessa Esparza
Jan 07, 2014 Vanessa Esparza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I think about this book is that this man does not want to wake up.
This man does not want to wake up even when every body tried to wake him up.The first part that happened in the book is that the mans alarm rang and the man did not wake up.When the women came in too give the man breakfeast the women noticed that the man was not awake.When some kids game in the mans room they tried waking the man by making noises.A little boy put ice cubes in a bucket and the little boy splashed the bucket on
Alicia Beaumier
I am not a huge fan of this book in any shape or form. The book was shocking to me because it isn't like any of the other Dr. suess books. The little boy that refuses to get up is sort of rude about it. He refuses to get up but isn't really nice about it, no matter what his mom and sister did to get him up he still refused. I feel like this is such a negative message to portray to kids. That you can just stay in bed all day no matter what.
The illustrations in my opinion aren't very good either
Laura Mincey
Feb 14, 2011 Laura Mincey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hilarious story told by the classic author Dr. Suess about a little boy who refuses to get out of bed. The book goes on to tell the reasons why the boy would rather stay in bed then get up and eat his breakfast and go to school. It doesn't bother him that the children across the country are getting up and going to school--he's just not getting up for anything! This would be a great read when things in the school year are getting dreary and students are sleepy. After reading this book, ...more
Amanda
Oct 21, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gets 5 stars on general principal. My mother got it for me as a present because the main character of this story and I have so much in common.

I was especially happy with the ending as (view spoiler)
Lucetta
I think it's a fun story to read on the weekend or any day really. Personally I think my favorite part of the book is when all the characters tried just about everything to wake up this little boy but it just doesn't seem to work.
Alyn
Feb 27, 2014 Alyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like the rhyming in this book. They used some places that my 5 year old has never heard of and it didn't help that they were long names too so he had a hard time reading it. He still liked it though, maybe because he can relate so well to the boy in the story.
Mohammed Al-Garawi
This kid is dead.
Chelsea Pelzer
This book is about a boy who refuses to get out of bed on this particular day. He goes on to describe every thing that would possibly get him out of bed but today will not. It has great illustrations and is relatable to young children. I would use this book to start a discussion about what students wouldn't get out of bed for. I would have students illustrate what they come up with.
Vcmc
Jan 21, 2017 Vcmc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book. very different style of narrative and illustration. The illustrations are more like Quentin Blake than his normal stuff. In fact illustrations are by James Stephenson. The story is a straightforward "rant" by a child who wants a day in bed.
Brianna Rice
Jan 28, 2017 Brianna Rice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
"I am Not Going to Get Up Today" is another successful fun story by Dr.Seuss. It is set in a child's bedroom at his home. This would be a fun story to use in my classroom to just get children to learn about rhyming and imagination.
Holli
Mar 07, 2017 Holli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
I'm not getting up today either. Though I have a hard time picturing someone calling in the cops for one not waking up. A doctor maybe, but the police?
Bailey Schmidt
Sep 27, 2016 Bailey Schmidt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
Does Dr. Suess ever go wrong? This is just a simple read, no real meaning or theme written into it. I think kids would just enjoy reading this for fun. I would have it in my 2-3 grade classroom for something to read in their spare time. I would also have this at home and I think if I had a child they would find this fun to read if they were sleepy or having a hard time waking up in the morning (on a weekend of course).
Kieran
Feb 25, 2017 Kieran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kieran wasn't a fan of the rude little boy but I really enjoyed this book.
Chloey Jones
A young boy is to comfortable with his arrangement in bed that he decided he simply doesn't want to get up. Anger and annoyance spreads fast across the town as all efforts are made to get the boy out of bed. In attempt to get him up he is offered a wonderful breakfast, ice cold water on his face, bringing in the police, hiring a brass band and many more tricks people had up their sleeve. After so much effort on everyone's part and people worrying that the boy won't get up they finally decide to ...more
Yvonne A.
Mar 29, 2015 Yvonne A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am Not Going to Get Up Today, is a book about a boy that just won’t get out of bed. No matter how hard anyone tries, they will always fail to succeed. As the reader reads they will have fun with all the rhyming words on every page. I really enjoyed this book and have added it to my own personal library. I believe it will help my future children and students to practice their rhyming as well as their reading.

The illustrations match the text perfectly allowing the reader to see exactly what is g
Tracey
Feb 15, 2017 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
early reader - short and lively, would work as a read aloud (or at least, it would work as well as you can expect a seuss book to do, when you have a crowd of mixed ages 1-8 years)
Laurie
Paige M
Have definitely felt the same.
Michael Koreis
Oct 28, 2013 Michael Koreis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am Not Going to Get up Today is a story about a young boy who refuses to get out of bed in the morning even through all the crazy events that happen around him. From tickling his feet to a huge marching band he stays in bed no matter what the world throws at him. This book was a great read and the fun rhyming will really help engage young children and hopefully plant an interest for poetry. I would suggest this book to anybody who wants a quick and easy read. The pictures in this story also ma ...more
Haley Stacy
Aug 29, 2016 Haley Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book by Dr. Seuss falls into the poetry category. This book can be read by first and second graders, because it does have some bigger vocabulary words. This book may be able to be used for a geographical lesson due to the mention of cities, states, and countries. The content is good, but may be concerning to some parents because of the way the boy speaks about not wanting to get up could be portrayed as rude or disrespectful. The story "I Am Not Going to Get Up Today" tells us about a boy t ...more
Kristin
Aug 30, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Dr. Seuss and this is one of my all time favorites! I think it is very fun and light-hearted. Ever since I was a little kid I would read this book and laugh. It is a story about a young boy who refuses to get out of bed in the morning even through all the crazy events that happen! From tickling his feet to a huge marching band he stays in bed through it all. This book is a great read aloud and the fun rhyming will really engage young children. I would suggest this book to anybody who want ...more
Diana Judd
I like this book, not because it has a fun rhyme scheme or because entertaining things happen, but because I totally get where this kid is coming from. Yes, the things he suggests as things that will not make him get up are funny and I enjoy the creativity that went into the writing of this story. But, more than anything, I can relate to the sentiment of simply not wanting to get up and just being allowed to sleep for the whole day. Interestingly, I think this is something that more adults can r ...more
Dannielle Smith
Oct 25, 2012 Dannielle Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-series
I love Dr. Seuss books, and this book is one I have never read. This book is about a boy who is refusing to wake up. throughout the book the whole town tries different things to wake him up but none of them work. The have marching bands, they try to tickle him, they scream but it does not matter what anyone does, he has already made up his mind that he is going to just sleep all day.

This book would be great to use in the classroom around Dr. Seuss's birthday. You could not only use this book but
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • The Nose Book
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • I Like Bugs
  • Where Do Kisses Come From?
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Very Clumsy Click Beetle
  • Curious George and the Puppies
  • Just Me and My Little Brother (Little Critter)
  • Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm