Start by marking “Faithless” as Want to Read:
Faithless

Faithless (Grant County #5)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  13,210 ratings  ·  413 reviews
“Brilliant plotting, relentless suspense,” raved the Washington Post. “A new synonym for terror,” crowned the Detroit Free Press. The critics agree: no one writes suspense like Karin Slaughter, whose thrillers featuring medical examiner Sara Linton and her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, have propelled her to the top of bestseller lists the world over. Now Slau ...more
Audio
Published August 30th 2005 by Random House Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Faithless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faithless

Robert
Like James Lee Burke, Karin Slaughter delivers novels where the separation between good and bad involves a fine line, and it’s not always easy to see, even if it’s drawn on the pavement in red crayon. The relationship between Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver makes FAITHLESS an entertaining read, and the deft, clever plotting makes it even better. This novel proved a hard one to put down, and despite reading several other novels at the time, I just had to keep reading. Reaching the end, though, w ...more
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
Dr. Sara Linton and Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver are carrying a lot of emotional baggage. These ex-spouses work together in solving crimes--mostly gory, brutal, unspeakable crimes. The latest is a young girl found buried, presumably, alive. There's a pipe protruding from her burial place which should have provided air, but an autopsy reveals that the young girl who happens to be a member of a religious cult did not suffocate but was killed by cyanide, which was poured down the breathing tube.

F
Ahmad Ardalan
Fast paced thriller set in a small county. For a 500 page mystery, this will engage you from start to finish.
Chris
I continue to read more and more of Karin Slaughter’s books and for the most part I really enjoy them. Sadly the last few Grant County books have just been ok and that includes this one. The premise of the book was intriguing, and I had higher expectations since I was not overly impressed with the last one. I figured every writer has their ok book but had hoped that this one would blow me away.

I think what really keeps me coming back to this series is the characters. I really enjoy the ups and
ilovebakedgoods (Teresa)
Another fast-paced good one! One more book in the series to go...
Dotti Elrick
I loved this book! Everything that Karin Slaughter writes is amazing. Even though this is the fifth book in her Grant County series, each book can stand alone.

The chief of police, Jeffery Tolliver, and his ex wife, Sara Linton are trying to rekindle their relationship. When an innocent walk around the lake behind their house sends their professional as well as their personal lives spinning. On this walk Jeffery confesses to Sara that he might be sick. Several years earlier he had an affair whic
Amanda
Despite the fact this book is over 500 pages long, I managed to finish it in a single day. There is so much depth in this book, not just in the plot, but in the characters’ lives as well. I like that Karin Slaughter took this beyond the typical “religious cult gone wrong” type of story, which I had been expecting. Instead, she weaved a story that was both surprising and complex. This book could have fallen flat, but it did not. Far from it.

I was glad to see the return of Tessa in this book. She
Angela Risner
Again, it's a small county, but it has SO many problems. I don't know about you, but I grew up in a very small county and we never had this kind of crime. But hey, no one's ever bothered to write a book about it either, so here goes.

How do you punish YOUR kids? Well, someone in Grant County thinks it's great to bury them alive for a few days. Only this time, one of them dies and it's up to Sara and Jeffrey to find out what is going on.

This is the fifth book in the series and any author would be
Felts
The 5th book in Slaughter's Grant County series and I can say that I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Probably because this story isn't filled with wasted page upon page of the main characters, Sara and Jeffrey, bickering unnecessarily about how screwed up their relationship is (although the beginning does have a medical scare that Jeffrey brings up having to do with the affair he had 5 years previously, causing me to say "here we go again", but it turns out to be a minor part of the story). Instea ...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

In this installment of Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series, Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver are getting closer, though a new threat to their relationship rears its ugly head. As they are coming out the woods near Sara's parents' home, Jeffrey literally stumbles across a body buried in the ground. She was buried alive, then died a horrific death before she was freed.

The girl's identity leads to a co op soy farm and to a very religious family who is somewhat misogynist. Sara is not on
Kayeb
I am enjoying these more as I revisit the characters. So much of the seamier side of life and always the question if the authors give new ideas to crummy people. Truly some of the ways of cruelty have simply never entered my mind and the capacity to come up with these methods is just scary at times! but, Sara and Jeff, and Lena become more compelling folks.

Benjamin Solah
I just finished ‘Faithless’ by Karin Slaughter tonight, and I don’t really have a strong feeling of good or bad. There are some good things about this novel and then there are some things that were bad. But funnily enough, this is the first woman writer that I’ve read. I posted about this a while back, and I have to say, contrary to popular belief, the gender of the writer doesn’t stand out much.

‘Faithless’ is set in Slaughter’s imaginary, Grant Country where a grisly murder has been discovered
Michelle Diener
This is the second book I've read in Karin's Slaughter's series about the part time coroner of a small town, Sara Linton, and her chief of police ex-husband, Jeffery. Despite being divorced, they have made up and Jeffery is in the process of moving back in with Sara when the book starts. Out on a walk together, Jeffery trips over a pipe and they discover its a breathing pipe leading down to a coffin where a teenage girl has been buried alive, but despite the breathing tube and food and water bes ...more
Sue
Jeffrey and Sara stumble upon a box buried in the woods with a metal pipe attached. When they unearth the box, they discover a young girl has died after being buried alive in it. Jeffrey is a detective and Sara is the county medical examiner (and a pediatrician). Thus their investigation ensues to determine the identity of the girl, how she ended up in the box and who buried her in the woods. The girl is identified as Abigail Bennett, a member of the Church for the Greater Good (established by h ...more
readinghearts (Lyn M)
Apr 01, 2011 readinghearts (Lyn M) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to readinghearts (Lyn M) by: buddy read
Number five in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter. This one has another thrilling story line. A girl buried alive in the woods, a religious cult, weird wacky characters, more secrets revealed by the main characters, and more problems for Lena. And even more important, less of the Jeffrey/Sara soap opera. I really like this series for the wonderful story lines that the author includes. They have twists and turns, some endearing characters, some that you love to hate, the villains are suff ...more
Jen
Faithless is the fifth book in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter. And in every book, Slaughter has hooked me at page one. At the conclusion of the novel, I'm not ready to be done. To me, this is evidence of a truly great suspense novel.

Jeffrey and Sara literally stumble across a strange protrusion in the ground at the onset of this novel. That protrusion is some kind of pipe. What they find at the other end of that pipe is a box containing the murdered body of a young woman. As Jeffrey
Sapphire Bates
Kristin
Dec 10, 2009 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, other crime fiction writers
Recommended to Kristin by: Mom
Picked up this book at a whim merely because we'd gone to the beach but the water was too cold for swimming and my Mom had just finished reading it so it was in the tote we take to the beach. Despite my mom's recent passion for sappy romances, there are only a couple scenes of romance between Jeff and Sara in the book.
I think what appealed to me, beyond just the doctor/cop couple, was that this book feels very contemporary given the number of religious cults that have been in the news in recent
Melbourne on my mind
Plot summary: While walking in the woods, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver and medical examiner Sara Linton discover the body of a young girl buried in a wooden box. The investigation uncovers a series of horrifying secrets that will shake one family to its core.

Thoughts: I liked it, but I didn't find it quite as gripping is some of Slaughter's other books. It was quite interrogation-heavy, rather than action-heavy. There's more unexpected trouble in Jeffrey and Sara's relationship, and Lena (who I
Rebekkila
The victim was buried alive in the Georgia Woods - then killed in a horrifying fashion. When Sara and Jeffrey stumble upon the body, both become consumed with finding out who killed the pretty young woman. And for Sara and Jeffrey, a harrowing journey begins, one that will test their own turbulent relationship and draw dozens of lives into the case.For as Jeffrey and Sara move further down a trail of shocking surprises and hidden passions, neither is prepared for he most sunning discovery of all ...more
Karen
I picked this book up a few years ago to take on vacation. Carried it in my luggage but never read it. So I thought this time I would read it on vacation. I guess I would label this book an okay vacation/beach read. But I only gave it 2 stars. It didn't really hold my attention and I found the characters had so many problems, it seemed unrealistic. For example Lena one of the police officers had been raped, had an abortion, was beat up by her boyfriend and her sister was murdered. A bit much!. I ...more
Sue Coletta
Karin Slaughter does it again in Faithless. A grisly crime, bodies buried alive, a strange sort-of religious cult and a twist you'll never see coming makes Faithless a book you won't want to miss. Another great read. If it weren't for having to read two other novels in between for my critique partner I would have devoured this very quickly. Can someone tell me what comes next in the series? I can't imagine not reading on.
Cláudia
I have been forgetting to read Karin Slaughter's books and that is a mistake. The stories are always interesting, the crimes chilling and brutal, the writing keeping us on edge, and the caracters interesting and real. So, the book and story was really good, but it dragged a bit in the middle - where was the rush to find the killer? And the ending itself was just so anti-climax, so much was left to know, and I don't like that in thriller books.
Grant County #5 - I love Karin Slaughter and her characters in the Grant County series, Sara, Jeffrey and Lena. This book centered on a murder of a young girl tied to a church-cult farm on the outskirts of Grant County. Slaughter continues to dig into the characters' lives despite the fact that a murder is trying to be solved. Love it and can't wait to read the next and final one in the series - Beyond Reach!
Jean Coldwell
Susan Nash
First book by this author. Didn't finish it.

I didn't like or identify with any of the characters. They felt a lot like a soap opera with emotional responses about as realistic as your average TV show. The main couple reminded me of a couple of bipolars.

I also hate books where the author uses personal threats to the main characters as ways to jerk our emotions around. The amount of handwringing and anguish these people seem to be feeling whilst doing their job doesn't strike me as realistic. They
Elaine
This 5th one by Slaughter is more in line with books 1 and 2 in the Grant County series. There is more mystery and less of the characters' day-to-day lives. Lena is less angry and better able to do her job; She's more involved in more ways than one.

Sara is thrown by something Jeffrey tells her but barely has time to process it when Jeffrey literally stumbles over a short pipe sticking out of the ground. When they uncover a wooden crate, they soon realize the young girl inside was buried alive.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I love this series, this book was just a bit off for me. I didn't feel the usual closeness to the characters. Looking forward to the rest of the Grant county books.
Anne
Excellent book. Took a bit longer as I was getting ready for Christmas AND watching a lot of Christmas shows. Cuts into the reading.
Rupesh Goenka
A weak plot.. Badly Written.. Brainless & Worthless..
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • Kill For Me (Romantic Suspense, #9)
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2)
  • Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne, #2)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench #3)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...
Blindsighted (Grant County, #1) Triptych (Will Trent, #1) Fractured (Will Trent, #2) Broken (Will Trent, #4) Indelible (Grant County, #4)