Start by marking “Faithless” as Want to Read:
Faithless

Faithless (Grant County #5)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,818 Ratings  ·  543 Reviews
“Brilliant plotting, relentless suspense,” raved the Washington Post. “A new synonym for terror,” crowned the Detroit Free Press. The critics agree: no one writes suspense like Karin Slaughter, whose thrillers featuring medical examiner Sara Linton and her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, have propelled her to the top of bestseller lists the world over. Now Slau ...more
Audio
Published August 30th 2005 by Random House Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Faithless, please sign up.

Jonetta
Aug 26, 2015 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey and Sara are walking through the woods near her home when they stumbled upon a pipe coming up from underneath the ground. What lay beneath was heartbreaking, leading them into an investigation of a family who seems to have plenty of secrets. They're also leaders of a religious lifestyle that appears cult like.

This was a disturbing story that also explores the subject of domestic abuse. The investigation took some interesting turns, even though the field of suspects was narrow. Typical o
Mo
Sep 19, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another roller coaster. Sometimes hard to keep track of all the characters.

With each book, Jeffrey and Sara are growing on me. I love that they are not the perfect couple. They argue. Her parents are great too. Lena, I don't know if she will ever have a Happy Ever After.

Some parts of this book were quite heartbreaking. Terri, my heart bled for her.

Off to review the last in the series!!
Donna
Jul 01, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This book by Karin Slaughter might be my favorite one so far. I've read quite a few of her books and even a novella or two. Her books are often heavy on violence towards women. This book also possessed that same thread. But I feel that was balanced by everything else. It didn't feel like the often abused 'shock and awe' trick I dislike. There were a few different threads woven into the plot and I liked that. She also does a great job with her characters. Not only are they well drawn, but they al ...more
Robert
Dec 01, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like James Lee Burke, Karin Slaughter delivers novels where the separation between good and bad involves a fine line, and it’s not always easy to see, even if it’s drawn on the pavement in red crayon. The relationship between Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver makes FAITHLESS an entertaining read, and the deft, clever plotting makes it even better. This novel proved a hard one to put down, and despite reading several other novels at the time, I just had to keep reading. Reaching the end, though, w ...more
Paula
This is the first I've read of any Karin Slaughter books. Quite a few GR friends are reading her thrillers so when I saw this audio book at the library I grabbed it on a whim. Faithless is #5 in the series about victims getting buried alive with a religious twist. I realized as I listened to the book that a lot had happened in the previous 4 books in the series that I should have read first.

I like the main characters, Sara and Jeffrey. There are so many characters, however, that it's hard to kee
Freda Malone
Nov 26, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Chief Jeff Tolliver, Sara Linton, and Lena Adams are in the mayhem of a murder. They stumble upon a young girl, buried alive, but she didn't die that way. In the midst of the solve, there is a corporate church family that has secrets that make you cringe and then rage at the senselessness of it all. It'll make your own domestic squabbles look tame in comparison to this family.

For the life of me I can't understand Lena, the cop who has had so many traumatic experiences that she conti
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
Karin Slaughter writes some of the most powerful and heart-stopping Crime Thrillers out there. This one had me in tears near the end. I'm always hooked from the start and intrigued by the different characters. It amazes me how she weaves the story. One minute I'm furious with a character and the next minute I'm pulling for their happiness! Not many authors can change my mind when I've decided a character is the pits. Slaughter did. She also gives new meaning to the word "villain." These aren't y ...more
Bex
May 30, 2010 Bex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Dr. Sara Linton and Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver are carrying a lot of emotional baggage. These ex-spouses work together in solving crimes--mostly gory, brutal, unspeakable crimes. The latest is a young girl found buried, presumably, alive. There's a pipe protruding from her burial place which should have provided air, but an autopsy reveals that the young girl who happens to be a member of a religious cult did not suffocate but was killed by cyanide, which was poured down the breathing tube.

F
Chris
Jun 12, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to read more and more of Karin Slaughter’s books and for the most part I really enjoy them. Sadly the last few Grant County books have just been ok and that includes this one. The premise of the book was intriguing, and I had higher expectations since I was not overly impressed with the last one. I figured every writer has their ok book but had hoped that this one would blow me away.

I think what really keeps me coming back to this series is the characters. I really enjoy the ups and
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 stars - Slaughter never fails to keep me on the edge of my seat, heart racing, turning pages as fast as I can read. Pay attention to details - every word, sentence, paragraph - all should be scrutinized in a Slaughter book, as they all inevitably prove to be important later. And navigate the twists & turns with care...you never know what surprise this author will have waiting on the next page...but you can be sure there will be at least a couple of shockers. Loved it! A Page Burner!
Marnie  Krüger
Nov 24, 2015 Marnie Krüger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, books-i-own
A few of my friends read this series before me and kind of spoiled the last two books for me - no hard feelings.

Now it just takes me twice as long to finish them as it originally would.

Karin still is one of the most brilliant writers out there!

I think I'll just take a bit of a break before I read the last book of the Grant County series, in the hope that I will forget the spoilers!

Ahmad Ardalan
Nov 28, 2014 Ahmad Ardalan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced thriller set in a small county. For a 500 page mystery, this will engage you from start to finish.
 Marla
Another interesting tale of violence and perversion. This time we examine relationships, adultery, abortion, abuse, drugs and religion.

Likes:
* Sara's Aunt Bella was a flamboyant and informative character
(view spoiler)
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

In this installment of Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series, Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver are getting closer, though a new threat to their relationship rears its ugly head. As they are coming out the woods near Sara's parents' home, Jeffrey literally stumbles across a body buried in the ground. She was buried alive, then died a horrific death before she was freed.

The girl's identity leads to a co op soy farm and to a very religious family who is somewhat misogynist. Sara is not on
Angela Risner
Again, it's a small county, but it has SO many problems. I don't know about you, but I grew up in a very small county and we never had this kind of crime. But hey, no one's ever bothered to write a book about it either, so here goes.

How do you punish YOUR kids? Well, someone in Grant County thinks it's great to bury them alive for a few days. Only this time, one of them dies and it's up to Sara and Jeffrey to find out what is going on.

This is the fifth book in the series and any author would be
Alex is The Romance Fox
Faithless, the 5th book in Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series brings back the small town medical examiner, Dr Sara Linton and ex husband Grant County chief of police, in a complex and gripping tale of murder, religious cults, family abuse, secrets and a remorseless killer that keeps your guessing until the very end.

This series is gritty with flawed and interesting characters that are very well developed. The small town settings are vividly written - I would feel the menace and danger swirling
Paula
Jul 12, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dominique
Feb 17, 2016 Dominique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing story but loved it. Sara, Jeffrey and lena are back with the discovery of a pregnant young woman bureid in the woods but we also go into their personal lives and people from their past reappear. Great book.karin Slaughter is inching her way into my favorite thriller author.
MadProfessah
Feb 05, 2016 MadProfessah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Quite good but not as good as INDELIBLE.
(Probably because Lena plays a bigger role in this than she did in that previous book.)

Slaughter really likes to delve deeply into the psychology of her characters but what she reveals about them is often not very flattering and can be quite disturbing.

The stakes are not as high in this one for
our main characters Sara and Jeffrey. But they are much higher for Lena.

The main mystery is centered around a very religious family who live way out in the boonies
Ruth
Mar 09, 2016 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sara Linton and her husband, Jeff, the chief of police are walking around the lake. Sara knows Jeff well and she is aware that something is not right and bothering him. When she questions him, he claims that he is just "tired" but she knows differently. Suddenly, Jeff knocks Sara to the ground. It hurt when she fell and she is angry but quickly becomes distracted when they discover that not only had Jeff tripped over a wire but the ground had a hollow sound. The begin to dig furiously when they ...more
ilovebakedgoods (Teresa)
Another fast-paced good one! One more book in the series to go...
Dotti Elrick
Dec 16, 2014 Dotti Elrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Everything that Karin Slaughter writes is amazing. Even though this is the fifth book in her Grant County series, each book can stand alone.

The chief of police, Jeffery Tolliver, and his ex wife, Sara Linton are trying to rekindle their relationship. When an innocent walk around the lake behind their house sends their professional as well as their personal lives spinning. On this walk Jeffery confesses to Sara that he might be sick. Several years earlier he had an affair whic
Amanda
Apr 19, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact this book is over 500 pages long, I managed to finish it in a single day. There is so much depth in this book, not just in the plot, but in the characters’ lives as well. I like that Karin Slaughter took this beyond the typical “religious cult gone wrong” type of story, which I had been expecting. Instead, she weaved a story that was both surprising and complex. This book could have fallen flat, but it did not. Far from it.

I was glad to see the return of Tessa in this book. She
Felts
Aug 16, 2011 Felts rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
The 5th book in Slaughter's Grant County series and I can say that I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Probably because this story isn't filled with wasted page upon page of the main characters, Sara and Jeffrey, bickering unnecessarily about how screwed up their relationship is (although the beginning does have a medical scare that Jeffrey brings up having to do with the affair he had 5 years previously, causing me to say "here we go again", but it turns out to be a minor part of the story). Instea ...more
Dee

Sara
Sep 06, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terri made my cry....
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I love this series, this book was just a bit off for me. I didn't feel the usual closeness to the characters. Looking forward to the rest of the Grant county books.
Hilde
Jan 29, 2016 Hilde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wat een heerlijk boek weer om te lezen. Spannend tot het einde.
Kayeb
Sep 11, 2009 Kayeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying these more as I revisit the characters. So much of the seamier side of life and always the question if the authors give new ideas to crummy people. Truly some of the ways of cruelty have simply never entered my mind and the capacity to come up with these methods is just scary at times! but, Sara and Jeff, and Lena become more compelling folks.

Benjamin Solah
I just finished ‘Faithless’ by Karin Slaughter tonight, and I don’t really have a strong feeling of good or bad. There are some good things about this novel and then there are some things that were bad. But funnily enough, this is the first woman writer that I’ve read. I posted about this a while back, and I have to say, contrary to popular belief, the gender of the writer doesn’t stand out much.

‘Faithless’ is set in Slaughter’s imaginary, Grant Country where a grisly murder has been discovered
USA Geography Cha...: Faithless by Karin Slaughter 1 6 Dec 29, 2014 12:38AM
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench, #3)
  • Play Dead
  • The Night Season (Gretchen Lowell, #4)
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • Hexenkind
  • Where All the Dead Lie (Taylor Jackson, #7)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)