Start by marking “Cindy Moo” as Want to Read:
Cindy Moo

Cindy Moo

One night on the farm, the cows overhear a fantastic tale.

“Hey Diddle Diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon!”

Published May 15th 2012 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Cindy Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cindy Moo

Kimberly
Jun 26, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
"And as the cows scoffed at the thought, a voice rose loud and true. Why can't a cow jump to the moon? That voice was Cindy Moo's."

A super cute twist on a beloved nursery rhyme. Cindy Moo is determined to prove to the other cows that she can indeed jump over the moon. Cindy has several failed attempts, but she doesn't give up. Then one rainy night she discovers a solution. This book is full of adorable illustrations and great rhymes. It's a story about determination and never giving up on dreams
Lori
Apr 25, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
Of course, I think it's terrific and illustrator Jeff Mack captured spunky Cindy Moo just right. I got the idea for the story when I was browsing through a thrift store and saw a small cow perched on a crescent moon. Of course, I had to tell her story! I appreciate the Kirkus Review that said, "(This book) . . . stands out for its clever heroine who just won't give up."
Jill
Jun 07, 2017 Jill rated it really liked it
Cindy Moo is my spirit animal. She desperately wants to jump over the moon, just like the cow in the nursery rhyme. All of her friends tell her to give up -- cows can't jump over the moon. But Cindy Moo will not be deterred! And she finds her own way to succeed. The story is told in a great rhyming pattern that lends itself really well to a read-aloud. I read it to my storytimers and everyone applauded at the end. Go you, Cindy Moo.
Katie Dangle
Title: Cindy Moo
Author: Lori Mortensen
Illustrator: Jeff Mack
Genre: Nursery Rhyme
Theme(s): Farm Animals, Determination, Rhyming, Self-esteem, Personality
Opening line/sentence: “Hey Diddle Diddle, the cat and the fiddle
The cow jumped over the moon.
The little dog laughed to see such sport
And the dish ran away with the spoon.”
Brief Book Summary: Cindy Moo, a young cow on a farm, hears a familiar nursery rhyme and sets a goal to jump over the moon herself. After multiple tries and failure she fin
Christina Mathers
Sep 09, 2012 Christina Mathers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott-choice
Heidi-Marie
A cute book with preschool storytime potential. I think the kids will enjoy the story and get the solution. The rhyming text will keep the story flowing and perhaps be better at keeping their attention. A few words that they might not understand, but what better way to teach them new vocabulary? The pictures are fun and not too detailed that the kids can't see it in a sweep.

9/19/12 & 9/20/12: Part of the Things I Love storytime theme. (For cows, of course.) Worked pretty well. The words they
Amanda Suiter
Nov 09, 2015 Amanda Suiter rated it really liked it
Mortensen, L., & Mack, J. (2012). Cindy Moo. New York: Harper.

After some of the cows at the Diddle farm heard the famous the nursing rhyme. They all decided it was impossible for a cow to jump over the moon! Until Cindy Moo was convinced that she could prove everyone wrong, and that she could however jump over the moon! All of the other cows on the Diddle farm thought she was out of her mind. Cindy Moo tries everything from running over a hill to falling into a prickly weed - ouch! Cindy Moo
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Cindy Moo is a cow who happened to hear a story about a cow jumping over the moon. She decided that she wanted to jump over the moon as well. All the other cows thought she was crazy and were the first to point out that she didn't jump over the moon every time she tried and failed. But Cindy Moo kept trying. Over and over again. Until one day the moon came down to rest in a puddle after it had rained. Then Cindy Moo figured out just how to jump over the moon...and pretty soon all the other cows ...more
Barbara
It's hard to resist this story told in rhyming lines about a never-say-die cow named Cindy Moo. While the other cows debate whether a cow could ever jump over the moon as described in the nursery rhyme they overhear the farmer's daughter reading, Cindy Moo is sure not only that it's possible, but that she should be the one to do it. Unfortunately, she fails repeatedly until she notices the moon's reflection in a puddle. The illustrations featuring Cindy's large eyes, expressive face, and winsome ...more
Krista
May 13, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, we read it then read it again. I happen to be a BIG fan of animals so I love Cindy Moo the only thing this book was missing was the Cindy Moo dolly I want. My entire family enjoyed this book it was so beautifully drawn, I'm an artist so I know art work and I liked it. I also liked that this book was hardcover because my baby sister Princess Frostine carried it around for the rest of the day. Read Cindy Moo too, all kids will love it, but don't worry about Cindy she finds a way ...more
Kelsey
Apr 24, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Cindy Moo features the story of Cindy Moo the cow that wants to jump over the moon. Cindy tries to reach the moon from a hill and finds it has flown away. She gives up in despair until she spies the moon's reflection in a puddle one rainy night. She gleefully jumps over the moon in the puddle and inspires the other cows to do the same. The book features an excellent rhyme scheme and rhythm in its verses. The book would provide an opportunity for children to practice phonological awareness as the ...more
Diane
Jul 29, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
On the Diddle farm, a debate ensues after hearing that the "cow jumped over the moon." Most of the cows think that's impossible, but not Cindy Moo. "If that cow can jump the moon, I can, too." And she precedes to try and fail and try and fail again. "Cows weren't meant to jump the moon. Why don't you just give up."
But Cindy Moo never gives up and, on a rainy night when puddles abound, she is successful. "A cow can really jump the moon, as long as she knows how."

A gentle reminder that belief and
Roben
Oct 02, 2012 Roben rated it really liked it
Cindy, who lives at the Diddle farm, overhears a nursery rhyme about a cow jumping over the moon so decides it is something she must do, also. The focus is just a cow jumping over the moon – so no laughing dogs or fiddling cats to worry about here. Just seeing what it takes for Cindy to accomplish her mission. The lesson is really more “don’t give up until you figure out a way to accomplish what you need or want to do.” I did not always like the way Cindy looked - at first she was a bit of a sca ...more
Ina
Feb 23, 2013 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
The story begins when Cindy Moo, a cow on the Diddle farm overhears Mom Diddle reading the classic Nursery Rhyme, "Hey, Diddle, Diddle!" and decides that if THAT cow could jump over the moon, well she could as well. While the other cows laugh and tease her, especially when her first attempts fail, Cindy is determined to succeed. With rhyming text and delightful illustrations - and a little help from a rain puddle - Cindy does manage to jump over the moon. Truly a fun read aloud about achieving a ...more
Cathy
Jan 25, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it
One night on the farm, the cows overhear a fantastic tale.

“Hey Diddle Diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon!”

Inspired by this classic rhyme, a plucky cow named Cindy Moo sets out to prove that cows really can leap over the moon. The other cows laugh at her, but that doesn’t stop Cindy from trying—and failing—night after night . . . until a trick of nature shows Cindy a way to triumph.
Samantha
Jun 05, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
The cows overhear a famous nursery rhyme that claims a cow jumped over the moon. They debate the truth of this statement until Cindy Moo steps up and announces that it can be done. She tries many times until she reaches a successful and creative solution.

Art looks like oil pastels and has soft lines and colors. Animals are very sweet looking with animated expressions.

Overall, great read aloud with a satisfying conclusion.
Lauren Crouse
May 23, 2016 Lauren Crouse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-614
A cute little spin on a beloved nursery rhyme.

This is a story about Cindy Moo and her want to jump over the moon like the cow in Hickory Dickory Dock. The other cows at the farm don't believe she can do it. But after one rainy day, Cindy figures out that she can!

This story is based off a well know nursery rhyme. It is a cute way to bring the nursery rhyme alive for kids today. Cindy's determination will inspire kids and help them to "think outside the box".
Marianne
Jul 30, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Books with cows on the cover-I cannot pass them by! The first glimpse of Cindy Moo is wonderful as she peeks around the corner of the barn and listens to a little girl reading. As she becomes captivated by an idea, the story displays Cindy Moo's determination as she tries to "jump over the moon." Love the way Cindy Moo makes her dream come true!
Juliana Lee
Cindy Moo overhears the nursery rhyme about the cow who jumped over the moon and is determined to do so herself. But all the other cows laugh and say it can't be done. Cindy Moo tries and tries and fails and fails. Until one night, after the rain, Cindy Moo sees the moon's reflection in a puddle and jumps it easily. Now all the other cows jump the moon two by two!
Lara
Jan 22, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
Cute story about some cows overhearing "hey, Diddle-diddle..." and wondering how to jump over the moon. Leave it to Cindy Moo! Great illustrations and fun rhymes. This didn't really stand out to me, but it's a good, solid and very likable book for preschool kids--would definitely be good for farm or nursery rhyme themes.
Diane Kress Hower
Jul 24, 2012 Diane Kress Hower rated it really liked it
If Cindy Moo Can, you can too! Lori's book is a wonderful, creative, fun story that supports children in believing in themselves. The illustrations by Jeff Mack are kid friendly. I just wanted to touch them! Great book. Visit my website WWW.bookwisdombydiane.blogspot.com to enter to win this book!
Meg McGregor
Jan 14, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
The classic nursery rhyme about the cow jumping over the moon is reinvented here, with Cindy Moo,a cow determined to jump over the moon.

How she does do it is delightful and demonstrates that there is always a way to solve a problem.

Read again on June 17, 2014.
Rosa Cline
Feb 08, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This story gives a twist on the Cow Jumped Over the Moon. The cows on the farm hears that old nursery rhyme and one little cow says why can't they jump the moon? So she ties and tries and tries again and almost gives up. But she stays with it and she does finally jump the moon! Very sweet story.
Carol
Jul 11, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
This was really cute, it's about a cow who overhears the nursury rhyme, "Hey diddle diddle," about the cow jumping over the moon. She decides that she wants to prove that cows really can jump over the moon. All of the other cows laugh at her but she doesn't give up.
Nancy Sanders
May 17, 2012 Nancy Sanders rated it it was amazing
Oh what an adorable book! Little ones are gonna give three "moo-s" for Cindy Moo as she is determined to follow her dreams. And for extra fun, check out the delightful book trailer, complete with sound effects too!

Amy Wise
Aug 12, 2012 Amy Wise rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute book about a determined cow who wanted to jump over the moon after hearing the nursery rhyme. She tried and tried until at last she found her loophole. She jumped over a puddle with the reflection of the moon in it. It's about tenacity and optimism!
Sandy Brehl
A fun, clever plot has the barnyard cows debating the possibility of jumping over the moon. Cindy Moo is determined to do so. After multiple failures she finally sees the moon in a puddle and in fact jumps over it.
Kellylou
Read this to a class in the library and they loved it. Cindy Moo discovers a way to jump over the moon -- when everyone around her says it can't be done. Great to share with kids when thinking about how to solve difficult problems.
Heather
Aug 21, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this story of a plucky cow who decides to jump over the moon and won't let anything stop her. I get a kick out of determined heroines and the illustrations are gorgeous and saturated with lovely colors.
Jenny
Cute story of the clever cow Cindy Moo. When she and the other cows hear the nursery rhyme Hey Diddle, Diddle...they are sure it isn't real. A cow can't jump over the moon. But Cindy Moo is determined to try. Great book to talk about perseverance and creativity.
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Oddrey
  • It's a Tiger!
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Dog in Charge