Porch Lies: Tales of Slicksters, Tricksters, and other Wily Characters

Porch Lies: Tales of Slicksters, Tricksters, and other Wily Characters

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Side-splittingly funny, spine-chillingly spooky, this companion to a Newbery Honor–winning anthology The Dark Thirty is filled with bad characters who know exactly how to charm.

From the author's note that takes us back to McKissack's own childhood when she would listen to stories told on her front porch... to the captivating introductions to each tale, in which the storyt...more
Audio
Published December 4th 2007 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published August 22nd 2006)

Christine Jensen
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: Late elementary

Format: Audio Book (Unabridged)

Awards: ALA Notable Books for Children (2007), Notable Books of the English Language Arts (2007)

This collection of trickster tales, inspired by African American oral traditions, are recreated by the author, who remembers the tales being told years ago on her grandparents front porch. The book is read by three African American narrators, two female and one male, who create colorful and lively representational...more
Michaela George
Critique:This book hold a collection of different tales all comprised into one book. These tales incorporate the author’s perspective to how the tales were told, but then goes into further detail of the story. This is a captivating book that hooks the reader into the tales. The story includes humor, wit and a little bit of life lessons learned along the way. The Tales all have a meaning behind it and a lesson to be learned in the end. These are great types of books that you can read in your clas...more
Anna Larson
This book is a collection of short stories based on the myths, legends and historical figures that appear in the African American oral tradition. The book allows readers to think about the tales they may know that were handed down in their families through generations. The book goes through many different peoples stories and shows that not everyone will have the same experiences even if they are from the same culture. The book has a prominent theme of relationships, whether it is family, friends...more
Mallori Allphin
Patricia C. McKissack’s collection of entertaining short stories about “porch lies”, or tall tales filled with exaggeration told from various people from her past, are gathered into this charming and thoroughly entertaining book. Each rendition is introduced in first person from the way the author remembers it being told, and then takes off into the tale itself. These stories are humorous and witty, and are sure to have any reader hooked. This book could be used in the classroom for several diff...more
Tom Franklin
This is a somewhat tricky book to rate. On the one hand, I love good storytelling through different voices in an audio book. The readers for "Porch Lies" do a wonderful job giving distinct personalities to each of the parts they voice. McKissack's stories of tricksters and other colorful characters are each fun, with dips & dives & twists & turns. In short, they're each well read and fun to listen to.

The downside, for me, was in the writing of some of these stories. The stories had m...more
Magda
Whippoorwills, lightning bugs, and homemade peace ice cream trigger memories of my childhood summers spent at my grandparents' house in Nashville, Tennessee....Skipping up five steps placed me in my favorite spot—the porch swing. There I could read for hours or listen to someone tell a story about sneaky foxes or things that went bump in the night.

"Pete Bruce was the worst somebody who ever stood in shoes."

"Ma'am, I do believe you got Miz Opal Mary beat by a country mile."

"Boy, don't you know yo...more
Rll52013_andrea
Wholly original and definitely filling in a gap between more traditional trickster tales of the south like Uncle Remus' Tales and more modern-day fare. The more modern setting is very clear and the illustrations really accentuate the unique flavor of the stting and storytelling. I had no idea these were an outgrowth and continuation of "The Dark Thirty." I love how she sets up her characters and setting and builds suspense for each very believable tall tale!! They also have an urban legend type...more
Molly
This is a collection of short stories, or Porch Lies, which the author created based on the tall tales she heard as a child. Each story is engaging, most are funny and all were unique (at least to me!)My favorite was Aunt Gran and the Outlaws- a tale which features a surprisingly cunning old woman who comes face to face with Frank and Jesse James. This book would make great bedtime reading stretched out over a few days. And the audio makes for great family listening.
Amy Carr
Stumbled across this book is a box of books a friend was getting rid of and I am LOVING it. They are stories told in the tradition of African-American storytelling or "porch lies"...basically tall tales. They are so fun...you feel like you are sitting on a porch swing, sipping lemonade, listening to the crickets come out and being wrapped up in an excellent story!

P.S. Finished the last book...loved it from start to finish! Great storytelling!
Jody
So...I wanted to love it more and....it's probably my fault I didn't. I listened to it in the car. The readers/performers were terrific! The stories are terrific. I'm glad I know a little more about "po'ch lies!" However, I guess it's just my own attention span...I couldn't get lost in these stories. I have the same problem when I listen to some story tellers live. You would think that a shorter story would keep me occupied, but I struggle.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I loved this collection of stories! "Porch lies" is McKissack's term for stories and tall tales told while lounging on the porch of an evening. My favorite was the one about Aunt Gran and the James brothers, but they were all good. I don't recall much being made of this book when it came out, which is a shame, because it's really good.
She does know how to spin a yarn! Recommended for a readaloud on the porch.
Leigh
I love McKissack's books, they are always fun, interesting and well written. This one is one of my favorites. The tales vary in tone,some are funny, some are scary, some are thoughtful. All are excellent. Think of it as a Hershel series for African Americans and you've got the idea. (Hershel is a legendary folktale character in Jewish folklore)
Alixis Waltrip
Porch Lies is a book based on African American folk tales. The author used some porch stories she heard growing up and tweaked them into her own fun and creative stories. There funny tricksters and also some good moral lessons behind each porch lie. I enjoyed reading the stories the author created!
Paula
This is a great conversation piece. Stories have an urban legend style, as the reader decides if the story was a porch lie. Patricia McKissach leads the reader in her author's note the setting.Great for teachers looking for a short stories with some colorful characters. AR book: 4.8/5.0
Kimberly Tardy
A great collection of colorful and rich story telling that reflect the historical tradition of African folk tales and legends. They are side splitting funny stories, yet they teach a lesson or give the reader a glimpse into the characters who influenced the childhood of the author.
Angela
This was a wonderfully done audiobook---the perfect format for enjoying these stories since they're from the African-American oral tradition. I respect Patricia McKissack's work and I wan't disappointed. I recommend this to storytellers looking for new material or inspiration!
Brittany Elaine
A theater company I once worked for had a story dedicated in this book dedicated to it.

Patricia McKissack endorsed us, and we turned this book into an educational touring show to tour to different schools and venues all over the Midwest.
Kiki
This is a really pleasant book that I randomly came across at Half Priced Books (love that store) and I read a story every night. It's like you're sitting down with an older Aunt or Grandfather listening to stories of back when
This was a great book to listen to-the readers did a wonderful job of making me feel like I was out on the porch on a summer night, sitting back and listening to some porch lies. A great book to share as a family, too.
Meredith
I really enjoyed this book and think several of the stories would work very well for a reader's theater, especially Change. Both the stories and the narrators on the audio version were engaging and fun.
Heather
It was a treat to listen to these tales on audio CDs in our car! I'd recommend them for all ages. I loved the characters -- seems like most of them would have a definite twinkle in their eyes!
Robert
Was surprised how much I enjoyed this children's book. The stories are simple life lessons. Some of the stories are long, but a good read overall.
The Smiths
It doesn't take very long to read one of the fun tall tales in this book at each sitting.
Sarah Durst
Outstanding collection! Perfect for kids.
Kelly
Short stories from the South for reading aloud.
Marilyn
This was a fun book to read.
Steve Hall
Steve Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl, Belmont Plantation, Virginia 1859 (Dear America) Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 Color Me Dark: The Diary of Nellie Lee Love, the Great Migration North, Chicago, Illinois, 1919 (Dear America) The Clone Codes (The Clone Codes, #1) Goin' Someplace Special