Start by marking “Pirate Princess” as Want to Read:
Pirate Princess

Pirate Princess

Princess Bea isn’t like other princesses—she prefers pirate ships above tea parties, the salty sea over silly dolls. But what’s a landlocked princess to do?

Ahoy, Captain Jack to the rescue! When the captain offers Bea a place aboard his ship, it’s a dream come true—until she’s put to work swabbing the decks and making dinner for the crew. Can a princess like Bea put her ro
Published May 8th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pirate Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirate Princess

Melissa
Dec 07, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
I opened up this princess tale

And sighed a thousand times.

It's sad but true: I do not need

ANOTHER book that rhymes.
Megan M
Aug 08, 2012 Megan M rated it it was ok
Cute rhyming, but I was just really unimpressed with the story of Princess Bea, who longs to be a pirate but isn't quite skilled enough. I couldn't help but wonder what happened to her family back home?
Erin Feller
Personal reflection:
I liked this book because of its non traditional look at princesses. In my C&T 235 multiculturalism class we talked a lot about gender roles and I believe this is the perfect book to break those gender stereotypes. Most princess wear dresses, drink tea, and want to find their prince. Princess Bea just wants a life at sea.

Purpose:
I would read this book aloud to K-3rd graders for entertainment. This book had great vocabulary and rhythm. This would be a great book to read
Ina
Sep 18, 2012 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
Bea is not your usual princess when we first meet her she is standing on her head and she would rather read a book than wear fancy clothes and she has no interest in meeting a handsome prince. Bea does have a dream - she wants to be a pirate. One afternoon she comes across a pirate ship and convinces the crew that they should add her to their crew. She throws herself into being a pirate, but it is a struggle. Her first task, swabbing the deck, makes her shoulders sore and the mop is "really gros ...more
Brittany Kraft
Princess Bea is not your typical princess. She doesn’t wear the fancy dresses, instead she prefers a sword. Bea dreams of being a pirate, and one day when walking down the dock, she spots a pirate ship! Once on board Bea pleas for the captain to let her be a part of his crew. She soon finds out she is not the best at mopping the deck, cooking food, or being on watch out. The captain had had enough and was ready to have Bea walk the plank. Will Bea be able to get herself out of this mess or will ...more
Traci Bold
Aug 11, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Not your typical, fancy smancy princess story but a princess story with gusto and bravery.

'PIRATE PRINCESS' written by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen, illustrated by Jill McElmurry and published by Harper Collins takes the reader on an adventure that princesses are not supposed to have. Of course, this is half the fun.

This princess wants to be part of a pirate crew and sail the high seas. When she joins Captain Jack's crew, she finds out how much work the crew really does.

Amusing, adventurous picture
Marcia
Aug 06, 2013 Marcia rated it did not like it
Why are we still romanticizing piracy? Pirates are criminals- violent robbers, sometimes killers. I just don't get the appeal. A princess wants to be a PIRATE? And she has no skills at typical 'women's" work like cleaning and cooking.....which is all the pirates think she is good for. I always like a picture book written in rhyming verse, they are fun for read-alouds, but that is all this book has going for it.
Margaret Chind
A fabulous read aloud! The rhyme and rhythm is pulsing. Vocabulary great to learn and encourage. While I enjoed this much more than my young preschooler daughter I am sure in a year or two this would provide many a laugh. I love it. Highly recommended for library read alouds as well as a classroom read.

*Thanks to HC*

scheduled: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Lauren Fidler
wow, tough crowd, goodreads readers!

my kids LOVE this book.

"mommy, can we read the pirate princess?!?!?" they clamor at bedtime.
even dada likes the charming tale of princess bea who sucks at the traditional female spheres of cooking and cleaning (and not throwing up on a ship) but who excels at one key aspect of piracy:

treasure hunting.

it's quick, cute, and nicely illustrated.

a better message than pinkalicious's bratty "i got very upset", too.

Lisa C
Nov 20, 2014 Lisa C rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Not quite sure how I feel about this, since the poor wee girly was inept at all the lowliest pirate jobs. But then again, those were mostly traditional women's work. Her main skill was both very useful and required them to use her for financial gain...okay, the feminist in me is over thinking it, but it's not the kind of "girl power" story I'd pick for a storytime. Nice use of pirate talk, though.
Maria
Princess Bea dreams about being a pirate, but when she finally gets to the sea she learns that being a pirate is a lot of work.

Why I started it: Ran across it in the library.

Why I finished it: I liked the fact that piracy wasn't all fun and games, there were chores and consequences. Fun rhymes.
Elizabeth S
Dec 03, 2014 Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-picture, e-short, l-lib
I think this was supposed to be a girls-can-do-anything book. Instead we are given a heroine who can't do this and won't do that and fails at the next thing. Her only talent or ability is evidently (view spoiler). Really? That's IT? Seems more supportive of the girls-are-sissy-weak thesis to me.
Madison
Oct 10, 2016 Madison rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, pirates
Princess Bea wants desperately to be a pirate, but she's terrible at swabbing the deck, cooking the food, and sitting in the crows nest. She's about to walk the plank when she smells gold. While she may not be a perfect pirate the crew tolerates her because of her special skill.

Fun illustrations, great rhymes and cute resolution.
Jeanette Johnson
Sep 29, 2012 Jeanette Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a darling book for all the pirate princess out there. Bea doesn't enjoy the life of being a princess and always fancies herself as a pirate. One day she gets her chance to become one for real. Every job they give her she screws up and as she is about to walk the plank she smells something that gives her a second chance......
Shelli
Aug 01, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Princess Bea didn't want to be a frilly princess. She desired more than anything to become a pirate. This passion didn't exactly translate into talent though, and Captain Jack had a challenging time finding the write pirate job for Bea.
Polly
Mar 29, 2012 Polly rated it liked it
Saw the ARC (if picture books can be said to have ARCs) at a publisher's presentation. Very cute, and no one says "Arrr", which is a huge plus after nine billion pirate picture books where no one says much else!
Malissa
Jul 20, 2012 Malissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-kids
I didn't care for this much. When there is only so much time in the day to share book s with students this probably won't make the cut. The only thing I liked was word choice. Great chance to discuss word meaning and word choice.
Nichole
A favorite with Josephine this month, although she kept asking when the aspirational pirate princess was going to go back to being just a regular princess (clearly preferable in her eyes). Fairly good rhyme scheme, which makes reading it so much more pleasurable.
Cassandra
Jul 19, 2016 Cassandra rated it it was ok
I liked the illustrations but didn't care for the story. The main character seemed rather spoiled and didn't care about the other crew members of her ship. All she wanted was to be a pirate, regardless of how much danger she put the ship in.
Aug 17, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harper
Rhyming - pretty funny - rule of three

I can't tell on illustration media - it seems lie maybe oil pastel black lines with watercolor color
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
The illustrations were fairly average for my tastes, but the rhythm and rhyme-scheme of the text were excellent!
Sandra Magura
Apr 13, 2015 Sandra Magura rated it really liked it
I got a good chuckle out of reading this to my 5 year old. She loved the pirate princess and her adventure.
Julie Fortenberry
Illustrator Jill McElmurry has a savvy instinct for color. Each pirate has his or her own unique renegade style, defined with a handsome angular outline. Great characters.
Shawn
May 16, 2012 Shawn rated it liked it
Love a good nonconventional princess! "The captain, Jack, glared. 'Look at her!' / He barked, 'Why are ye here?' / Bea curtsied, then asked, 'Please, kind sir, / Make me a buccaneer!'"
Veronique Stravato
Veronique Stravato rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Suzy
Suzy rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Danica
Danica rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2015
Kkakaliouras
Kkakaliouras rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Sharper1
Apr 09, 2013 Sharper1 rated it liked it
Written in cadence, which is nice.
Jemi
Jemi rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
  • Hello My Name Is Bob
  • Red Knit Cap Girl
  • My Name Is Not Isabella
172051
Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen is an award-winning children's book author whose books include Duck Duck Moose, Chicks Run Wild, Pirate Princess, Hampire!, and the forthcoming Orangutangled. She visits schools around the country to talk about the craft of writing to children of all ages. "Every book is an autobiography" is a favorite saying of hers, and a big part of her message is that everyone, grownup ...more
More about Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen...