Start by marking “Wolves in Chic Clothing” as Want to Read:
Wolves in Chic Clothing

Wolves in Chic Clothing

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,484 ratings  ·  81 reviews
In The Right Address, Carrie Karasyov and Jill Kargman seared through the upper crust of New York’s glitterati with wicked glee. In their delicious new novel, Wolves in Chic Clothing, they train their merciless spotlight on the young princes and princesses poised to inherit Park Avenue.

Julia, a hip, downtown salesgirl at Pelham’s jewelry store, finds her social life turn
Audio
Published April 5th 2005 by Random House Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wolves in Chic Clothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolves in Chic Clothing

Erin
Julia Pearce is a salesgirl in a Manhattan jewelery store who is plucked from obscurity by the socialite whose father owns the jewelers. Lell Pelham is the ultimate it girl. She and her trust funded girlfriends decide to make Julia one of their group. She gets a big promotion and suddenly is jet setting with the creme de la creme of New York society. All this is complicated when Lell's husband falls for Julia.

This is the worst kind of chick lit... unbelievable and predictable at every turn. Ever
Lorraine
May 21, 2008 Lorraine rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard chicklit fans only
Recommended to Lorraine by: the title looked interesting (the book wasn't)
Filled with every chic-lit cliche! Main character: Wholesome girl who doesn't realize how drop-dead gorgeous she is moves to the Big City; quickly gets 'noticed' by her boss, gets a huge unrealistic promotion which allows her to design jewellery, her dream career; she has upstanding morals about relationships yet loves the 'wild' married guy and doesn't notice the great 'good' single guy (rich and good-hearted) standing right in front of her (who is also a cliche); both are caught up with a supe ...more
Stinkydiver
Probably some of the best chic-lit I have read. Though I don't know if that is saying much.
Diane  Morasco
Wolves in Chic Clothing is as delicious as a banana split oozing w/ hot fudge, caramel & butterscotch!

Forget Chick Lit, I'm talking juicy Gossip Lit. Yum! Dig in!

Set against the glittering backdrop of New York City, Karasyov & Kargman co-author a tale dripping w/ wicked goodness.

Welcome to the lush, decadent society sphere that few live but many dream of making it their own.

Ahhh, the glitz & glamour of the beautiful people, wrapped in ravishing clothes, dining @ extravagant restauran
Rebecca
This book was actually on my list and I found it on the recently returned shelf. Yay! I love it when that happens. Otherwise, this is your typical New York upper-class story where the girls have nothing else to do, but claim lower class girls who have potential but no money to mould them into what they want. Two rich friends are always competing with each other because they don’t have much else to do with their lives. Girl #1’s family owns a Tiffany-type jewellery store and since she got married ...more
Brittany
Aug 12, 2008 Brittany rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Candace Bushnell fans, NYC fans, Older Gossip Girl fans, Ages 17-45
Recommended to Brittany by: A magazine of some sort
How I Came To Read This Book: I believe I read about this in something like Teen Vogue or In Style and promptly picked it up, as well as the authors' previous joint effort, The Right Address. I read this one first.

The Plot: Julia is a jewelery salesgirl when she gets a last-minute gig as the escort for a particularly expensive piece of jewelery at the wedding of NYC socialite Lell Pelham (whose family I believe also owns the jewelery store Julia works at). Almost instantly, Lell's entourage is t
Tara
I had to create a whole new shelf for this book since it's the first I've added that didn't involve vampires or werewolves. This is chick lit in its purest form. It's extremely rare for me to read typical romance or chick lit, but when I'm in a slump, it's somewhat therapeutic. This book is Melissa De La Cruz without vampires. I realized I had actually read this years ago when I had checked it out of the library, but I couldn't remember the whole story, which focuses on the private and glamorous ...more
Tori
2005- I've read other books that fall into this chick lit sub-category (Bergdorf Blondes, etc) and found that there is a thin line between love and hate of the uber-rich who star in these stories. The protagonist usually is someone who is not ""born"" into the lifestyle, so we can usually side with her. However, if the protagonist is just completely clueless, well, do we have to? In this story, a group of heiresses decide to take Julia Pearce, a salesgirl, under their wing...until something bett ...more
Marsha
The rich really know how to live…or do they? This book is filled with the pointed catfighting, vicious jockeying for position and scrambling attempts to keep up with the Joneses that you would expect among people who not only have to be rich but act rich as well—and that’s only among friends.

Brimming with skillfully drawn characters and situations that grow decidedly darker as the book progresses, “Wolves in Chic Clothing” shows that happiness remains as elusive for the very rich as it does for
Monkeyface
Finished listining to Wolves in Chic Clothing: A Novel
by Carrie Karasyov. I enjoyed this book. I thought is was rather fun and so the truth on how some girls can be. About a girl named Julia, a hip, downtown salesgirl at Pelhams jewelry store finds her social life turned on its head when she is asked to deliver a necklace to the stores young heiress, Lell Pelham, on Lells wedding day. Beguiled by Julias earnest cluelessness and her vintage-chic vibe, Lell and her gang adopt Julia just for a lau
Betsy
I absolutely LOVED this book! I found myself involved with the characters, so much so that I wished they were real people so I could either a.) give them a big hug (Hope, Oscar, Charlie) or b.) give them a big punch in the face (Lel, Polly, Henny, Will)! The best part of the book for me, though, was the way everything wrapped up to my satisfaction -- totally! The good guys and the bad guys got what they deserved, and some of the 'bad' guys didn't turn out to be so bad after all, once they had th ...more
Meaghan
thoroughly enjoyed the tale of one woman's rise to the top and disgraceful fall from Society in nyc. the end felt a little rushed and everything was very neatly wrapped up by the last page but i had a great time reading it!
Lori Anaple
This type of book really doesn't do much for Chick Lit. I really like chick lit too. The characters are caricatures. The plot invisible to thin. And the writing, ehhhh. I finished it, but it took me a few days (in my world, that is not a ringing endorsement). If you have nothing else, hit it up, but otherwise, take a pass.

OH! And the "Twist" with one of the husband's was beyond ridiculous. It wasn't hinted or even suggested. I should put this as a 1, but I didn't HATE it. I just would never seek
Sharal Hunter
This book was a fast read with several amusing bits but for the most part, very predictable. It is sad and pathetic just how shallow some people can be. The only one in Lell's band of bitches I could tolerate at all was Hope. She at least displayed compassion though I wished she would stand up to Polly and Lell and tell them where to go. I thought Julia's roomie Douglas was a hoot. Not a lot of substance to this story but if you are looking for mind numbing fluff with some laughs, this should fi ...more
stephanie
claims to be the next Devil Wears Prada but falls drastically short. there is nice talk about diamonds though, and it is set in new york and does talk fashion (the best character is not julia, or lell, but the gay best friend) so you know, merits? also, it survived the move and purge, so something about it had to be redeeming.

obviously i am reccing my chicklit shelf tonight and revealing how shallow i really am. still! there's nothing like manhattan based chicklit to change your mood, i SWEAR.
Gotta say Wolves in Chic Clothing was not good writing; however, once again, for what it was, it was an amusing read. Somehow I now understand why creative writing teachers always said, "Don't write the slang, write so the readers can hear the slang in their heads as they read." Such obvious slang/modern references really pop, and not in a good way. They totally break the flow of the writing--or maybe that's just me?
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I barely remember reading this several years ago. What I noted at the time was that it was silly and predictable, but readable. Julia Pearce works in a big New York City jewelry store, and wants to be a jewelry designer. Of course she's gorgeous. Her boss and her snooty friends decide to make her an Eliza Doolittle-type project. I was not motivated to read more by these writers.
Carol Fanning
I was hoping this book would be a fun, fluffy, tart novel in the style of Candice Bushnell or Plum Sykes, but even in the category of trash it was disappointing. The Gossip Girl series is better written than this book. Still, if you want candy, this might satisfy your sweet tooth--it's just more Skittles than gourmet chocolate.
Waspyredhead
Not impressed. I don't mind chick lit when the dialog is smart and the characters are realistic. That was not the case with this book. More mindless lines dedicated to what the characters are wearing and what kind of purse they are carrying.

It wasn't painful, and I'm glad I read it as it kept me entertained at the time.
Michelle Robinson
Generally I don't like books about super wealthy super spoiled people. However, this book was interesting. I have no idea how accurate the portrayal of this strata of our society may be but this was an interesting book. I don't know that I would read another by this author as this subject does not appeal to me at all.
Katie
It was alright - the authors changed perspective without any warning from one paragraph to the next which was interesting. But it was normal, predictable chick-lit. Some of the characters you hated, as you were supposed to, and there were also some redeeming characters, but like I said, predictable.
Julie McElhaney
Ok, I should probably be embarrassed to admit that I really liked this book. It's not great literature! But even though it's a bit predictible I enjoyed the personalities of the characters. Not for everyone, and not really believable, but if you can suspend the expectation of reality it's a fun listen!
Lyz
If you read the summary on the back cover, you've read the whole book. Small town girl makes good, loses it all, and makes good again. It's a quick read and not a bad way to spend your time while in a doctor's waiting room, but it's not a book that you can't wait to pick up again.
Stacey
Chick lit wins me over again. Although not incredibly good chick lit. It was well-written in that I hated who I was supposed to hate and liked who I was supposed to like. I don't remember why I rented this, but thankfully, it was short, and not a chunk of my life I'll never get back.
Melissa
Katie
It was a quick read, typical chick-lit, good for the beach (where I read it). It's not a literary masterpiece and the resolution is exceptionally hasty, but really, what are you looking for in a book like this?

Throw it in your beach bag and finish it in a day.
Kim
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun, quick read. I found it so easy to get wrapped up in this story of a group of shallow, catty Manhattan's socialites. Highly recommended!
Jessica
This book wasn't too bad but it was very predictable. It was a quick read to change the pace of what I usually read so if you want to read about some cold hearted bitches then pick it up.
Jessica
This book is what happens when a publisher is eager to rush a bestselling author to print ... they publish a draft and not a book. A huge disppointment, even by chick-lit standards.
Hecatesias
Beaucoup trop court ! Ça manque clairement de développement ... Une histoire classique avec les clichés habituels du genre

Un livre qui se lit vite et sans prise de tête
  • Momzillas
  • The Botox Diaries
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • The Ivy Chronicles
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • So 5 Minutes Ago
  • The Secret Lives of Fortunate Wives
  • The J.A.P. Chronicles
  • Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls
  • Your Big Break
Carrie Doyle Karasyov was born in New York City. Upon graduation from Barnard College, where she majored in Russian Language and Literature, Carrie worked in the features department of Harper's Bazaar. In 1995, Carrie moved to Moscow, Russia, to help launch the Russian edition of Harper's Bazaar. The following year, she became founding Editor-in-Chief of the Russian edition of Marie Claire. After ...more
More about Carrie Karasyov...
The Right Address Bittersweet Sixteen Summer Intern The Infidelity Pact Jet Set