Start by marking “Another Chance” as Want to Read:
Another Chance

Another Chance

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published November 23rd 2011 by Michelle Beattie

To ask other readers questions about Another Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Chance

Tara Chevrestt
I loved this heroine. She's everything I like and look for in a heroine: strong, spunky, ready to take on the "man's world." She struggles to be a doctor and prove herself in a time when that just wasn't done, when women belong at home having babies.

Actually, I liked TWO of the women. A local saloon owner, Silver, 'bout stole the show. I suspect book two is about her. I hope it is.

But this story is about Jillian. She gets a veterinarian job in Montana by using just her initials. When the townfol
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...
Jun 08, 2013 UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... marked it as own-need-to-read
This is not a review...

Historical Western

Currently free for Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Another-Chance-...

Being a veterinarian in the late 1800’s is difficult enough, but for Jillian Matthews it’s impossible. Not allowed in the vet schools, she trained at her father’s side until she had the skills needed to move west. Jillian accepts an advertisement for a position in Montana, using only her initials which happen to be same as her father’s. Convinced that in the untamed west, her skills will b
Gloria Antypowich

I loved this story set in 1879 in Montana; a time when men ruled in society. Women were expected to obey, support their husband's ideas and be wives, mothers and homemakers. God forbid that one would become a veterinarian--that was a man's world and there was no place for a woman in it. When Jillian Matthews came to fill the position of the towns veterinarian, the whole community was outraged. Some of the men would have let their animals die before they would call upon her--but when faced with a
Lisa C.
This was the first time reading this author and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Maybe it was because it wasn't the typical rich guy gets down trodden weak female. It had nicely developed characters that were very real and likable. In our day and age it's sometimes difficult to understand the gender roles expected during this period of time. The author depicted the troubles very well.

The secondary characters were nicely done and I will be looking for their story when it comes out. I liked the sty
Alyssa
I haven't read too many historical westerns (actually, none that I can recall!), but I loved this one! A fantastic, well written story and enough suspense to keep me worried. :)
Brenda
A really easy quick read for me, started this last night and finished it less than 24 hours later. The writing was solid, humor was right on point and the romance had me wanting to strangle both him and her, so it was perfect. It is a standard western type book, slightly historical and also modern in its theme, very rare for a book to encompass three mediums like that.

The main reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, was I want to know what happened between Silver and Shane..left me hanging and th
Victoria
Loved it!!!!
Andrea Guy
I'm usually not a fan of western historical romances, but the strength of Jillian's character really made me rethink my feelings about this sub-genre. Jillian as the lead character and Silver as a secondary character were two women that knew their own minds. They did what they wanted even if it totally went against the thinking of the time.

It was easy for Jillian to endear herself to me. She is a true animal lover. When Whisker was killed, I cried. I hated the close minded men that wanted to run
Donna Tunney
Known for her Berkley pirate series, author Michelle Beattie proves she's equally at home among the cowboys and frontiersmen of the old west in her new novel, "Another Chance."

Feisty heroine, Jillian Matthews, sets chauvinistic tongues wagging the moment she steps into the small, 1879 Montana town. She's replacing the retired veterinarian and, though experienced, kept the hiring committee in the dark about her gender to gain the position.

Widower Wade Parker--a cowboy/rancher trying to get out of
Sophia
I love Western Historicals and this one was no exception. This one was the first that I have read with feminism as the underlying theme. It is a story of accepting someone's gifts and skills as part of them and not rejecting those skills because of what gender they are.

Jillian Matthews answers an ad and accepts a position to go west to Montana as a small ranching communities veterinarian. She knows that things will not be easy because there are no female doctors and vets at this time, but even s
Carole
Surprisingly good read. Jillian came to town looking for a second chance at acceptance in her career. Wade was reluctant to open his heart to a second chance at love. Could these two make a go at it without letting their pride and prejudice getting in the way?
Sandy
Nice story.

This is a well-written story with a good deal of problems and facing issues that took place with understanding. The love beats all theory makes it a happy ending story as well. I will be looking for more from this author.
Delta
May 12, 2014 Delta marked it as to-read
Recommended to Delta by: BookGorilla.com
Free on Amazon today, 05-12-14. (Western Romance, late 1800's)

Shammy
I was a bit surprised by this story. I enjoyed the characters and found a new respect for professional women from this time period.
Lynn Smith
Really loved the story. Flowed along at a good pace and you could feel the emotions from the characters. Looking forward to reading more by Michelle Beattie
JLC
I'm very, very, very interested in the 2nd characters', Shane & Silver, story. That's the most important thing I wanted to comment about this book.

Other than that, a decent story. I think what lost a star for me was the whole H "can't be" w/the h thing due to her being a vet. While it may have been a legitimate issue in that era, it just turned out to be a bunch of whining when reading. It REALLY got on my nerves.
« Crystal »
This was a wonderful book, and such a pleasure to read. I really enjoyed the characters and the plot. I really hope there's a sequel in the works with Silver and Shane's story. I gave this book 5 stars and I would highly recommend it.
Donna
I love a strong h, animals and a larger than life kid, and this book had all 3. My one complaint is I felt the H was a little immature for an almost 30 year old rancher. Emotionally speaking and reasoning wise.
Shelly
Good heroine, but I didn't fully connect with the story. I liked it, but expected to love it given the other reviews and setting. I do love historicals so I may have had too high expectations.
Zoe
A really descriptive and vivid setting to a lovely, easy read story. The wonderful and interesting characters that were varied and full of depth shone. I really enjoyed it.
Jenny Miller
sweet, quick read. typically historical romance gets on my nerves, but this one was entertaining.
Luanne
Loved the good old fashioned western. Nice love story but could have used a little more sizzle!
Adelle
I just loved Jillian! What a great story about a strong, spunky woman!
Sonia Martinez
Sonia Martinez is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • After The Ashes
  • Rafe (Outlaw Trilogy, #1)
  • The Bounty (Malloy Family, #1)
  • Texas Outlaw
  • The Rancher (Redbourne, #1)
  • The Law and Miss Penny (Law and Disorder, #1)
  • A Hero's Heart
  • Texas Lily
  • Five Card Stud
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Wild Heart (Blazing Frontier, #2)
  • The Last Honest Seamstress
  • Wild Wild Widow
  • Her Fated Cowboy (Harland County, #1)
  • Midnight Lover
  • Our Little Secrets
  • Wildblossom
  • Indiana Wild (Spirit Pass, #1)
Award-winning author Michelle Beattie has been writing since 1995. She sold her first book, What a Pirate Desires, in 2007.

She continues to write her pirate series as well as historical westerns and contemporary novels.

When she's not writing she enjoys reading, playing golf, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the outdoors.
More about Michelle Beattie...
Heart of Mine (Bandit Creek, #16) Love By Accident What a Pirate Desires Romancing the Pirate A Pirate's Possession