Start by marking “Thirst” as Want to Read:
Thirst
Preview

Thirst

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The gorgeous, poignant new novel about unexpected love within an arranged marriage in mid-century India, by the award-winning author of Brahma's Dream.

Thirst is about many forms of desire--and most particularly, at its heart, about love unexpectedly found and lost during a difficult time (WWII) and in an unlikely spot: within a hastily arranged union between two young peop
Published June 5th 2012 by Doubleday Canada (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirst

Judy
Thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I really want to read the sequel!
Adelaide
Truthfully, I was rather disappointed when I first gotten Thirst from a goodreads giveaway, simply due to a lack of a good cover for the advanced copy. I mean, I had received advanced copies of books from the giveaway before, but this is the only one with a bad cover. There are no pictures at all, disregarding the publisher's logo. It's basically black words on a tan-coloured page. Completely different from the official cover.

It kinda put me off of reading it. Kinda.

The lack of a good cover asid
Zara
Thirst by Shree Ghatage begins as a mysterious narrative about a man whose head injury has inflicted him with amnesia and incited the compassion of a Mr. Owens who decides to take him into his home to provide him with food and lodging until he is well enough to regain his strength and perhaps his memory.

After a few months of living with Mr. Owens and Mr. Owens’ mentally ill daughter, Catherine, he venture back towards London in hope that the city will somehow reveal clues about himself.

What he d
Amy
RECIEVED AS A FIRST READS GIVEAWAY

A book about loyalty, family, strength and duty.

While I enjoyed the descriptions of Indian life during the 1940's, I wish the author had spent more time with these types of scenes. The growth of love between Baba and Vasanti was a lure. Would they fall in love? How? Or would they become estranged like Amita and Yogesh?

When Baba goes to the UK, I began to lose interest in the plot as well as Baba as a character. Once I reached the ending, I felt it had been a cop
Shonna Froebel
This novel begin with a young East Indian man in Wales in 1942, who appears to have lost his memory. He is taken in by a kindly older man, Mr Owens who lives with his troubled daughter Catherine. They call him Hari. Hari stays with them awhile hoping his memory will return, troubled by Catherine's illness. He decides to go to London, hoping to find assistance there.
When he goes to London, something there triggers his memory and he remembers who he is, Vijay Chafékar, a young man in London to stu
Joanne Guidoccio
The opening is unsettling.

A wounded man has lost his memory and is being nursed by a kind Samaritan and his mentally ill daughter in North Wales. A connection to India is established and the amnesiac is given an alias, Hari.

When Hari regains his memory, he recalls the picture-perfect fairy tale life he left behind. Hari is really Baba Chafékar, the youngest son of a wealthy Hindu family, who grew up on a lush Indian estate complete with servants, horses, tennis and badminton courts, and a swimmi
61pat
Ero convinta di essermi imbattuta in una saga di una famiglia indiana, poi all'improvviso lo scenario cambia completamente e ti spiazza, tant'è che quando mi sono resa conto che il libro era finito sono rimasta sorpresa. Non so definirlo esattamente, ma non mi ha entusiasmato.
Amanda
I won this book in the FirstReads contest. When I started the book it took me a while to get into it, but once I got to part two I became really genuinely enthralled with the book. I loved the characters and was introduced to a situation that I never thought about before (not arranged marriage, but India during WWII). The book is beautifully written but that ending just ruined it for me, I was really angry after I finished reading it. No book should end like that. I wish I would have just thrown ...more
Vicki Bismilla
I know that many readers enjoyed this book and I so wanted for it to spark my enthusiasm. But I had difficulty being engaged in the story. I was uncomfortable with the Mr. Owens and daughter plot line and kept wanting to know more about Vasanti back in India.
Elaine Cristina Oliveira
Phredric
*** Received as a First Reads Giveaway ***

Some nicely written prose, mostly in the description of the developing relationship between Baba and Vasanti, but the ending was really perplexing and depressing. Baba wasn't a strong enough or likeable enough character to carry the whole novel. His refusal to compromise or to grow up and face his life and his actions irritated me. He was also pretty rotten to his wife throughout, especially his cowardice in refusing to write to his wife made me actively
Kati
The middle chunk of this book was lovely, portraying the early days of an arranged marriage in India during the 1940s.

The story lost me at the end. Couldn't it have ended with Baba's revelation on the importance of family and decision to return to India? The melodrama of his self-centered decision to make a martyr of himself b/c he was too cowardly to tell his wife the truth left me rolling my eyes.

I won an advanced copy of this book in a Firstreads Giveaway, thank you!
Angief
I received a free copy of this book from GoodReads. When I first read the description of this book I was very excited about reading it, however, the book was just ok and the ending was a real disappointment. This is not a book I will be passing to my friends.
Ashleigh Rivers
I'm absolutely in shock. The ending is a complete surprise, but it makes sense with the rest of the story. The love shared between the main characters was both beautiful and painful. This book was a quick read, but written so artfully.
Chantale
Vijay studies for the bar in England and reflects on the reasons he left behind his wife Visanti and family in India. Secrets are revealed, new lies told and the responsibility and character of this young man are tested.
Nat
Enjoyable enough quick read (though a main part of the plot was entirely predictable). But the ending left me perplexed.
Rizwana
A beautiful story about arranged marriage, family, love, secrets and when we think things are fine and life takes a wrong turn.
Mary-Beth
I ended up skipping over stuff and reading the ending - which was very predictable. Perhaps it was the mood I'm in?
Connie
Well written, but it ended abrubptly - almost like the author had run out of "middle bits".
Shadoh
this is a new 7 day book at the library and yet i have read it not too long ago. ???
Terri Epp
Like many others who reviewed this book, I was not very happy with the ending.
Steven Buechler
A great read about the crash of identity, duty and desires.

Page 79
Susan Doull
Loved it! I really hope there is a sequel.
Pilar Cuder
Excellent novel, truly unmissable
Janet
This book needs a sequel!!
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015