Start by marking “The Day the World Ends: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Day the World Ends: Poems

The Day the World Ends: Poems

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From one of the most inventive and celebrated filmmakers of the twentieth century, and co-creator of such classics as Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and True Grit, a collection of poems that offers humor and insight into an artist who has always pushed the boundaries of his craft.

Ethan Coen's screenplays have surprised and delighted international audiences with their hilar
Published April 3rd 2012 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Day the World Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the World Ends

Caitlin
I am a huge fan of the Coen Brothers. I love their wicked sense of humor and range in filmmaking. Their ideas are creative and full of different kinds of fun and their movies are worth it. They're also kind of weird - the brothers and the movies. I like weird.

I didn't expect to review a book of poems by Ethan Coen, but April is National Poetry Month and when the copy was offered to me I couldn't resist. I figured this would be a good book to let hang around the house in various locations so I co
Michelle Newby
(Poems)
By Ethan Coen
Broadway Paperbacks, 121 pgs
978-0-307-95630-9
Rating: 2

The Day the World Ends (Poems) is a thin (literally and figuratively) collection of poetry brought to us by Ethan Coen, celebrated writer of screenplays for movies such as Fargo, The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona. What most of us don't know is that Mr. Coen has also published volumes of short stories and poems such as Gates of Eden: Stories and The Drunken Driver Has the Right of Way: Poems.

I have been a fan of Ethan Co
Cheryl
I am not typically a fan of poems but I do appreciate someone who writes poetry. I mean true poetry without having to make sure that every line rhymes.

The poems in this book range from the really short to the long like:

Self-Assessment

In his heart a young fighter expects no defeats,
Every ham can play Hamlet, all poets are Keats
And all women are Garbo and men Cary Grant,
Being each of us all his own best sycophant.

The Day the World Ends

The day the worlds ends
There will be the sound of a long, whi
mari
May 23, 2012 mari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
As I have mentioned before, I am not a frequent reader of poetry. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time I had read any poetry before this month. I was a little apprehensive above agreeing to review this collection of poetry but was willing to give it a try when I saw who the poet was and also remembered that April was National Poetry Month.

So, first, the poet. Ethan Coen. One half of the Coen Brothers who are responsible for some of my favorite movies: Fargo, Burn After Reading, Raising Ar
Kati Giblin
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, since I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers.

These poems are mostly humorous. The humor mainly revolves around sex, women, and toilet jokes. About half of them are witty poems that work their way up to the punchline. There are also dozens of limericks and poems that are quite short and crude throughout. All of them would be perfect for entertaining the drunken.

Not all of them are entirely funny. One poem entitled "My Father's Briefcase" is a solemn recollecti
Kara
Does wisdom fret at what's in store
And boggle at what's gone before--
Or rather does it not, like us,
Do what it must, and nothing more?
And is there credo any know
More sound than that--to just adjust,
adjust, adjust, adjust, adjust,
And every trouble, worry, woe,
Ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore?

That's the second stanza of Coen's first poem (titled "We Sheep") in this short collection and not at all what I had expected. I thought it beautiful, Eliot-esque even.

From there it degenerates ("degenerates" s
Patrick Turn
Prior to reading this book, I was unaware that the author was a writer of such classics as "The Big Lebowski" and "Raising Arizona." While I enjoyed these movies, I was disappointed in the quality of poetry this book provided.

I have been a fan of poetry for several years, and my personal tastes are geared towards classic poetry, which many modern reviewers consider to be "high-brow." I am always interested in poets who break new ground with their writing; unfortunately, I believe the contributio
Bill
Another delightful collection of poetry from Mr. Coen. I think what I like most about his work is the way he crafts the most ridiculously themed poems while strictly adhering to the rules of the various poetic forms. I mean, there's one carefully constructed multiple verse poem dealing with the views of various countries and nationalities regarding the fart. Also, he's once again included pages and pages of the most bawdy and irreverent limericks ever.
Serena
The Day the World Ends by Ethan Coen, one half of the Coen Brothers film making team with great films under their belt like Brother, Where Art Thou? and No Country for Old Men, is a twisted and unexpectedly thoughtful collection in places. The limericks are bawdy and remind me of Christopher Moore‘s humorous prose, but less in the smart and sassy humor and more in the low-class bathroom humor sense. Necromancy Never Pays stated that the poetry in the volume is geared toward a male audience, and ...more
Erin Tuzuner
In the vein of Roth and Updike, middle aged fascination with bodily functions, mortality, and sex. There's some gems, and there are some long winded elegies to middle age.
Donald Armfield
I won this book from a giveaway hosted by www.booksake.blogspot.com check there site out.

One half of the Coen brothers, famous for their movies; Fargo and The Big Lebowski one of my favorite movies. I decided to give poetry another try.

Ethan uses one of my favorite languages "Bad Language" with his poetry of sad, happy, funny and how the world may end. Kinda reminds me of the rock bands song "Tool - Aniema" This will definitely give some laughs and wants to read to others. I have one of his othe
Donna Huber
The poems were good, but sometimes the subject was to crass for my taste.
Lori
I won this book as an ARC read from Good reads. I am a fan of the Coen brothes.so i was pleased to win a copy. there are some good and funny poems. I especially liked Star a peom about a bull's perspective at a bull fight{ I was on the bull's side} am amusing take on turning 50. I would warn readers this book can be pretty crude. lot's of sex jokes dealing with male and female body parts. i did like some of the poems though. If you are a Coen brother's fan. you may like Ethan Coen's book.
Alissa Watts
This was the first book I received from a Goodreads giveaway and I was really excited to find it in the mailbox. I tore right into it. The poetry is at times thoughtful, at times fippant, and mostly shocking to the senses - especially after the first poem was heartfelt and calm. The difference between poem one and two is not for the faint-hearted. Overall I enjoyed the book and found myself reading the poetry aloud to my husband on many occasions.
David
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. It feels like I could have written everything in here, which is both the strength and weakness of this book. Coarse, sophomoric, and at times humorous, the whole thing reads a bit like the collection from a 2nd year English major. There are moments of beauty and insight, but they are so far apart they seem a bit like an aberration...but really, who doesn't like farts?
A.P. Sweet
I won this on Goodreads.com giveaway and I have to say that I didn't really enjoy the book all that much. I hate to write a bad review but I have to. The only poem that I liked was "Each to Each" and the limericks were funny. The book felt like it was written by a high schooler. I love the movies that he makes with his brother, but not this. Sorry.
Tiffani Erickson
Goodreads giveaway win.
I wasn't really sure what to expect at first and as I read, I noticed that these poems were random, interesting, and intriguing. I didn't really know what to think about it all, on the other hand, I enjoyed them all--some more than others.
AJ Calhoun
Mostly an overly bawdy and trite collection of poems that could have been written by a sex crazed middle schooler...check out the few gems " to the English language," "the one that got away," "can you explain," and "to a moth"
Steven Pattison
I expected this to be closer to other off-beat writings that I've read from ethan coen but found this new book of poetry to be a much more sincere and overall a genuine poetry collection with some profound wordplay.
Mooch
Decent book. Not your boring plain poetry. Quick read. Once I started the book, I didn't put it down till done!

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Xia
I won this book from goodreads giveaway. There were a few poems that I liked and some I found funny. Some a little bit too much for me but overall, it's a great book.
Joann(san diego shutterbug)
Some of the poems were really dry.
probally would not have bought it if i did
not win it on goodreads.com first reads giveaways
Max Bernstein
I'm only so interested in scatological poetry, but a few gems like the one about therapy make this worth at least 2 stars.
Laurie
In short: an utter disaster, devoid of craft or care.
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Nik Kane
Nik Kane marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Jef
Jef marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Free Books, .99 &...: Book Giveaway: The Day the World Ends by Ethan Coen 4 12 Apr 09, 2012 09:02AM
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, known together professionally as the Coen brothers, are four-time Academy Award winning American filmmakers. For more than twenty years, the pair have written and directed numerous successful films, ranging from screwball comedies (O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Raising Arizona, The Hudsucker Proxy) to film noir (Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, The Man Who Wasn't There, No ...more
More about Ethan Coen...
Gates of Eden Fargo The Drunken Driver Has the Right of Way: Poems Collected Screenplays 1: Blood Simple / Raising Arizona / Miller's Crossing / Barton Fink Almost an Evening