Start by marking “All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience” as Want to Read:

Land Killer Internships—and Make the Most of Them!

These days, a college resume without internship experience is considered “naked.” Indeed, statistics show that internship experience leads to more job offers with higher salaries—and in this tough economy, college grads need all the help they can get.

Enter Lauren Berger, internships expert and CEO of Intern Queen, Inc., w
Published January 3rd 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about All Work, No Pay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Work, No Pay

Rebecca
Apr 14, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, college
I have been following this person for a while. She reminds me a lot of myself when I was in school, not really caring about school, just wanting to get to the real world faster. And the way to do it is through internships. She has turned that passion into a career and I have to say, good on her. It was a really good how-to book for today's college kids. Not really sure about tomorrow, but today, yes. I read this book when I was applying for jobs (as well as being in the real world for 10+ years) ...more
Barb Wiseberg
Aug 04, 2014 Barb Wiseberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Lauren Berger, the founder and CEO of Intern Queen, is one hard working gal!

During college, she completed 15 individual internships, while holding down a full course load and a part time job.

Her drive, ambition, tenacity and chutzpah are all characteristics that today's youth should emulate. By graduation, with valuable experience under her belt, she knew which opportunities she was looking for and put her best foot forward to establish herself.

This book is a must read for kids in high school wh
Carmen
Jun 08, 2013 Carmen rated it really liked it
Moderately helpful. Has some great recommendations about what to wear, how to format emails, and ways to milk connections. The rest of the book is kind of common sense about, "Don't make your facebook picture a drunken bikini shot with your boyfriend" and "Don't be late to an interview." If you're a smart person seeking an internship, you already know half the stuff in her book, or you at least do it because that's what you think could be best. Still useful and had a couple good recommendations.
Savannah
Jan 13, 2017 Savannah rated it it was amazing
This book should be mandatory reading material for students! It gave me the confidence I needed to apply for an internship, that I managed to get and it prepares you for the internship itself. Lauren Berger shares great tips on how to use the contacts you make in the best way possible, I will keep this book near me until I land my dream job which I am sure will happen sooner rather than later due to the tips in this book!
Kathy
Aug 04, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I love love this book
I think all students should read this book. It is very informative and has a lot of examples and recommendations. This book is like the bible for college students.
I would so recommend this book. On the plus side met her last year over the summer; she is very nice and knows the struggle.
Lauren
Jul 18, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
This is a good book to read for those who have no idea about where to start with internships. Those who are experienced though may only find this book somewhat useful.

Also Lauren has no problem in bragging about her experiences. I understand establishing credibility, but it's a little overbearing when you keep talking about how great you are...
Janis
Dec 21, 2014 Janis rated it did not like it
The book has some nice chapters, for example the linkedin/twitter chapter. Somehow the style of the book is very high school level and the book has a lot of chapters and pages that are not necessary, but if you want to refresh your memory or learn a few tips, it is worth a try. Skimmed through the last 80 pages.
Kim
Jun 06, 2015 Kim rated it it was ok
Everything mentioned is COMMON SENSE (I don't have any internship experience before and my job experience is very minimum, but this book really is about COMMON SENSE to me). Besides, I believe her success is due to her extremely extroverted personality and her major/career/industry are just for extroverted people. She said in the introduction that everyone can be as successful as her, not true.
Kirsten
Nov 06, 2014 Kirsten rated it really liked it
This is the perfect career book for anyone. It doesn't have to do with just internships, but it helps you build a better resume, what to do on your first day, how to network, and so much more. It is definitely worth a read.
Andrew Goddard
Jun 23, 2013 Andrew Goddard rated it really liked it
Very informative and helpful text. It guides you in selecting, preparing, and landing internships.
Shanice Singh
Dec 17, 2014 Shanice Singh rated it it was amazing
Informative, engaging and well-written. This book is a must for anyone looking for internships.
Tonya
Jun 25, 2014 Tonya rated it really liked it
Again, I started to skim this book so I could have a discussion with my niece, but it was pretty good! If you swap "internship" for "job" or "position" it's great advise regardless.
Ngọc Hoàng
Mar 23, 2016 Ngọc Hoàng marked it as to-read
For those who are currently seeking an internship
Maddie
May 25, 2016 Maddie rated it it was amazing
A great guide for getting out there and starting your working life.
Hannah Jean
Aug 13, 2012 Hannah Jean rated it it was amazing
Very very helpful!
Julia
Apr 30, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
Great reference book for interships and job searching.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Ann Weisz
Ann Weisz rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Giulia
Giulia rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2013
S.D. Curran
S.D. Curran rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Desta Salomon
Desta Salomon rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Lisa Chung
Lisa Chung rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
blue
blue rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Maura
Maura rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2017
Pyang
Pyang rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Toffeechu
Toffeechu rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
  • Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself
  • 50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America (BK Life (Paperback))
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Why I Came West: A Memoir
  • Cold Hard Truth on Family, Kids and Money
  • Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job
  • Ayurvedic Cooking for Self Healing
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • The Perception of the Environment: Essays on Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill
  • Voices of the Winds: Native American Legends
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • History in the Making: An Absorbing Look at How American History Has Changed in the Telling over the Last 200 Years

“IN COLLEGE, I FELT LOST.” 1 likes