Start by marking “All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Land Killer Internships—and Make the Most of Them!

These days, a college resume without internship experience is considered “naked.” Indeed, statistics show that internship experience leads to more job offers with higher salaries—and in this tough economy, college grads need all the help they can get.

Enter Lauren Berger, internships expert and CEO of Intern Queen, Inc., w
Published January 3rd 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about All Work, No Pay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Work, No Pay

Barb Wiseberg
Aug 04, 2014 Barb Wiseberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Lauren Berger, the founder and CEO of Intern Queen, is one hard working gal!

During college, she completed 15 individual internships, while holding down a full course load and a part time job.

Her drive, ambition, tenacity and chutzpah are all characteristics that today's youth should emulate. By graduation, with valuable experience under her belt, she knew which opportunities she was looking for and put her best foot forward to establish herself.

This book is a must read for kids in high school wh
Rebecca
Apr 14, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, college
I have been following this person for a while. She reminds me a lot of myself when I was in school, not really caring about school, just wanting to get to the real world faster. And the way to do it is through internships. She has turned that passion into a career and I have to say, good on her. It was a really good how-to book for today's college kids. Not really sure about tomorrow, but today, yes. I read this book when I was applying for jobs (as well as being in the real world for 10+ years) ...more
Kim
Jun 06, 2015 Kim rated it it was ok
Everything mentioned is COMMON SENSE (I don't have any internship experience before and my job experience is very minimum, but this book really is about COMMON SENSE to me). Besides, I believe her success is due to her extremely extroverted personality and her major/career/industry are just for extroverted people. She said in the introduction that everyone can be as successful as her, not true.
Janis
Dec 23, 2014 Janis rated it did not like it
The book has some nice chapters, for example the linkedin/twitter chapter. Somehow the style of the book is very high school level and the book has a lot of chapters and pages that are not necessary, but if you want to refresh your memory or learn a few tips, it is worth a try. Skimmed through the last 80 pages.
Tonya
Jun 25, 2014 Tonya rated it really liked it
Again, I started to skim this book so I could have a discussion with my niece, but it was pretty good! If you swap "internship" for "job" or "position" it's great advise regardless.
Maddie
May 25, 2016 Maddie rated it it was amazing
A great guide for getting out there and starting your working life.
Ngọc Hoàng
Mar 23, 2016 Ngọc Hoàng marked it as to-read
For those who are currently seeking an internship
Carmen
Jun 08, 2013 Carmen rated it really liked it
Moderately helpful. Has some great recommendations about what to wear, how to format emails, and ways to milk connections. The rest of the book is kind of common sense about, "Don't make your facebook picture a drunken bikini shot with your boyfriend" and "Don't be late to an interview." If you're a smart person seeking an internship, you already know half the stuff in her book, or you at least do it because that's what you think could be best. Still useful and had a couple good recommendations.
Lauren
Sep 14, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
This is a good book to read for those who have no idea about where to start with internships. Those who are experienced though may only find this book somewhat useful.

Also Lauren has no problem in bragging about her experiences. I understand establishing credibility, but it's a little overbearing when you keep talking about how great you are...
Kathy
Mar 16, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I love love this book
I think all students should read this book. It is very informative and has a lot of examples and recommendations. This book is like the bible for college students.
I would so recommend this book. On the plus side met her last year over the summer; she is very nice and knows the struggle.
Kirsten
May 20, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it
This is the perfect career book for anyone. It doesn't have to do with just internships, but it helps you build a better resume, what to do on your first day, how to network, and so much more. It is definitely worth a read.
Julia
Jun 05, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
Great reference book for interships and job searching.
Shanice Singh
Mar 29, 2015 Shanice Singh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
Informative, engaging and well-written. This book is a must for anyone looking for internships.
Andrew Goddard
Jun 23, 2013 Andrew Goddard rated it really liked it
Very informative and helpful text. It guides you in selecting, preparing, and landing internships.
Hannah Jean
Jan 09, 2013 Hannah Jean rated it it was amazing
Very very helpful!
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Rosie Pregler
Rosie Pregler is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Mary Ondrejka
Mary Ondrejka marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Darren Whetstone
Darren Whetstone marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Amrita Menon
Amrita Menon marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Alyssa Collier
Alyssa Collier rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Maria C.
Maria C. marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out
  • Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
  • 50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Why I Came West: A Memoir
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • Ayurvedic Cooking for Self Healing
  • Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • History in the Making: An Absorbing Look at How American History Has Changed in the Telling over the Last 200 Years
  • The Perception of the Environment: Essays on Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill
  • All the King's Cooks: The Tudor Kitchens of King Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace
  • Cold Hard Truth on Family, Kids and Money