Start by marking “All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Land Killer Internships—and Make the Most of Them!

These days, a college resume without internship experience is considered “naked.” Indeed, statistics show that internship experience leads to more job offers with higher salaries—and in this tough economy, college grads need all the help they can get.

Enter Lauren Berger, internships expert and CEO of Intern Queen, Inc., w
Published January 3rd 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about All Work, No Pay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Work, No Pay

Barb Wiseberg
Lauren Berger, the founder and CEO of Intern Queen, is one hard working gal!

During college, she completed 15 individual internships, while holding down a full course load and a part time job.

Her drive, ambition, tenacity and chutzpah are all characteristics that today's youth should emulate. By graduation, with valuable experience under her belt, she knew which opportunities she was looking for and put her best foot forward to establish herself.

This book is a must read for kids in high school wh
I have been following this person for a while. She reminds me a lot of myself when I was in school, not really caring about school, just wanting to get to the real world faster. And the way to do it is through internships. She has turned that passion into a career and I have to say, good on her. It was a really good how-to book for today's college kids. Not really sure about tomorrow, but today, yes. I read this book when I was applying for jobs (as well as being in the real world for 10+ years) ...more
Everything mentioned is COMMON SENSE (I don't have any internship experience before and my job experience is very minimum, but this book really is about COMMON SENSE to me). Besides, I believe her success is due to her extremely extroverted personality and her major/career/industry are just for extroverted people. She said in the introduction that everyone can be as successful as her, not true.
The book has some nice chapters, for example the linkedin/twitter chapter. Somehow the style of the book is very high school level and the book has a lot of chapters and pages that are not necessary, but if you want to refresh your memory or learn a few tips, it is worth a try. Skimmed through the last 80 pages.
Again, I started to skim this book so I could have a discussion with my niece, but it was pretty good! If you swap "internship" for "job" or "position" it's great advise regardless.
Moderately helpful. Has some great recommendations about what to wear, how to format emails, and ways to milk connections. The rest of the book is kind of common sense about, "Don't make your facebook picture a drunken bikini shot with your boyfriend" and "Don't be late to an interview." If you're a smart person seeking an internship, you already know half the stuff in her book, or you at least do it because that's what you think could be best. Still useful and had a couple good recommendations.
This is a good book to read for those who have no idea about where to start with internships. Those who are experienced though may only find this book somewhat useful.

Also Lauren has no problem in bragging about her experiences. I understand establishing credibility, but it's a little overbearing when you keep talking about how great you are...
I love love this book
I think all students should read this book. It is very informative and has a lot of examples and recommendations. This book is like the bible for college students.
I would so recommend this book. On the plus side met her last year over the summer; she is very nice and knows the struggle.
This is the perfect career book for anyone. It doesn't have to do with just internships, but it helps you build a better resume, what to do on your first day, how to network, and so much more. It is definitely worth a read.
Great reference book for interships and job searching.
Shanice Singh
Informative, engaging and well-written. This book is a must for anyone looking for internships.
Andrew Goddard
Very informative and helpful text. It guides you in selecting, preparing, and landing internships.
Hannah Jean
Very very helpful!
Irene marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Yilan Liu
Yilan Liu marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Daria Seryakova
Daria Seryakova marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Freja marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Debbie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Scarlett marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Riley added it
Aug 22, 2015
Sia marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Karina marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Mirolim marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Erica marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Lally marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out
  • Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself
  • 50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
  • Ayurvedic Cooking for Self Healing
  • Cold Hard Truth on Family, Kids and Money
  • Free Stallion: Poems
  • The 20 Something Guide to Getting It Together: A Step-By-Step Plan for Surviving Your Quarterlife Crisis
  • History in the Making: An Absorbing Look at How American History Has Changed in the Telling over the Last 200 Years
  • Looking at Movies: An Introduction to Film