Start by marking “All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Land Killer Internships—and Make the Most of Them!

These days, a college resume without internship experience is considered “naked.” Indeed, statistics show that internship experience leads to more job offers with higher salaries—and in this tough economy, college grads need all the help they can get.

Enter Lauren Berger, internships expert and CEO of Intern Queen, Inc., w
Published January 3rd 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about All Work, No Pay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Work, No Pay

Barb Wiseberg
Lauren Berger, the founder and CEO of Intern Queen, is one hard working gal!

During college, she completed 15 individual internships, while holding down a full course load and a part time job.

Her drive, ambition, tenacity and chutzpah are all characteristics that today's youth should emulate. By graduation, with valuable experience under her belt, she knew which opportunities she was looking for and put her best foot forward to establish herself.

This book is a must read for kids in high school wh
Rebecca
I have been following this person for a while. She reminds me a lot of myself when I was in school, not really caring about school, just wanting to get to the real world faster. And the way to do it is through internships. She has turned that passion into a career and I have to say, good on her. It was a really good how-to book for today's college kids. Not really sure about tomorrow, but today, yes. I read this book when I was applying for jobs (as well as being in the real world for 10+ years) ...more
Kim
Everything mentioned is COMMON SENSE (I don't have any internship experience before and my job experience is very minimum, but this book really is about COMMON SENSE to me). Besides, I believe her success is due to her extremely extroverted personality and her major/career/industry are just for extroverted people. She said in the introduction that everyone can be as successful as her, not true.
Janis
The book has some nice chapters, for example the linkedin/twitter chapter. Somehow the style of the book is very high school level and the book has a lot of chapters and pages that are not necessary, but if you want to refresh your memory or learn a few tips, it is worth a try. Skimmed through the last 80 pages.
Tonya
Again, I started to skim this book so I could have a discussion with my niece, but it was pretty good! If you swap "internship" for "job" or "position" it's great advise regardless.
Carmen
Moderately helpful. Has some great recommendations about what to wear, how to format emails, and ways to milk connections. The rest of the book is kind of common sense about, "Don't make your facebook picture a drunken bikini shot with your boyfriend" and "Don't be late to an interview." If you're a smart person seeking an internship, you already know half the stuff in her book, or you at least do it because that's what you think could be best. Still useful and had a couple good recommendations.
Lauren
This is a good book to read for those who have no idea about where to start with internships. Those who are experienced though may only find this book somewhat useful.

Also Lauren has no problem in bragging about her experiences. I understand establishing credibility, but it's a little overbearing when you keep talking about how great you are...
Kathy
I love love this book
I think all students should read this book. It is very informative and has a lot of examples and recommendations. This book is like the bible for college students.
I would so recommend this book. On the plus side met her last year over the summer; she is very nice and knows the struggle.
Kirsten
This is the perfect career book for anyone. It doesn't have to do with just internships, but it helps you build a better resume, what to do on your first day, how to network, and so much more. It is definitely worth a read.
Julia
Great reference book for interships and job searching.
Shanice Singh
Informative, engaging and well-written. This book is a must for anyone looking for internships.
Andrew Goddard
Very informative and helpful text. It guides you in selecting, preparing, and landing internships.
Hannah Jean
Very very helpful!
Lally
Lally marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Alicia White
Alicia White marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Grace Mccullough
Grace Mccullough marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Rebecca Parker
Rebecca Parker marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Dorie Painter
Dorie Painter marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Lesley Keller
Lesley Keller is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2015
Sharmaine
Sharmaine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Irma
Irma marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out
  • Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself
  • 50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
  • Why I Came West: A Memoir
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Girl on the Couch: Life, Love, and Confessions of a Normal Neurotic
  • Voices of the Winds: Native American Legends
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text
  • Writing Short Films: Structure and Content for Screenwriters
  • Personal Connections in the Digital Age
  • They Don't Teach Corporate in College: A Twenty-Something's Guide to the Business World
Welcome to the Real World: Finding Your Place, Perfecting Your Work, and Turning Your Job into Your Dream Career MTV Europe Special Education Law Social Inequality & the Politics of Representation: A Global Landscape