Start by marking “17 & Gone” as Want to Read:
17 & Gone

17 & Gone

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,497 Ratings  ·  402 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Lauren is having visions of girls who have gone missing. And all these girls have just one thing in common—they are 17 and gone without a trace. As Lauren struggles to shake these waking nightmares, impossible questions demand urgent answers: Why are the girls speaking to Lauren? How can she help them? And… is she next? As Lauren searches for clues, ever ...more
Published March 21st 2013 by Dutton Juvenile

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
158th out of 1,520 books — 10,843 voters
Dare You To by Katie McGarryThis Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithJust One Day by Gayle FormanEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
2013 Contemporary YA
46th out of 209 books — 1,497 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
4.5 stars While I was reading 17 & Gone, I felt as though someone had taken me by the hand and was leading me into a dream state where realities were blurred and paranoia was a constant state of being. I caught glimpses of someone disappearing around a corner, I heard whispers from companions unseen--and there was nothing I could do but allow myself to be pulled deeper and deeper into the ever-changing kaleidoscope of the author's masterful storytelling.

The full text of this review appears i
Giselle
May 01, 2013 Giselle rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own, mystery-thriller
Girls go missing every day. Teenage girls run away, some get kidnapped, or worse. Lauren is acknowledging this first hand when she starts seeing ghosts, or visions, of missing 17 year old girls. A psychological thriller, or is it a paranormal? You'll have to read and see! ;)

Lauren, being taken over by these visions, is unable to think of anything else but these victims, because as much as the law, and even sometimes the parents, insist they were runaways, she knows they aren't. Wanting to help t
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Hardie Grant Egmont Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or take to alter this review.

'The ghosts tonight have already told their stories.'

Reviews are difficult things. Word after word of my thoughts, emotions, qualms and complaints. Yet it still takes time to write. After reading Seventeen & Gone, I realised a problem. I had no notes written down, ready to write this review. Why? Simply because I was so captiva
Jubilation Lee
I read this book in preparation for booktalks with my teens, and while I knew it wouldn’t appeal to everyone, I figured at least some of them would be able to get into the dreamlike creepiness and the narrator’s slow spiral into (view spoiler), right?

Teens: Miss Monica, this book was really boring.

Me: Wait, what? How could it be really boring? There are kidnappings and attempted suicide and goddamn ghosts!

Teens: It was just the same thing over and over again. Laure
Lectus
Mar 24, 2014 Lectus rated it did not like it
I managed to finish 17 & Gone given that it was so boring.

The writing is great, though, but the stories are not.

Lauren "sees" the ghosts of girls who have disappeared when they were seventeen. Some of them ran away, some were abducted, one was still alive

The story goes from girl to girl without lingering in one long enough to make me feel sorry for her.

I feel that the book was trying to get to my soft side by saying things like "no girl - no missing girl, no runaway - deserves to be given up
Asghar Abbas
Mar 27, 2016 Asghar Abbas rated it it was amazing

I realize I read this in Jan in the cold of Winter. The book felt cold at first but pretty soon our heroine thawed it for us. But the book was cold and the contents colder, yet it warmed me by the time I finished reading it, good writing does that. Very readable the kind of book that you could finish in one go. The concept was high and could have easily been convoluted but it was rather easy to imbibe. Some of the sentences and words had me shaking my head in admiration.

The whole mystery was att
Maggie
Apr 17, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I spent most of this book confused. Like the main character, I wasn't sure what was going on or what was going to happen next. And then it all came together. It's unfortunate that discussing how it all came together is a huge spoiler because it's such an important topic, but luckily, Nova Ren Suma addresses more than one worthwhile issue.

17 & Gone is about in-between girls at that in-between age. They're not legally adults but they left the protection of childhood long ago. If these girls di
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
3.5

Not mind-blowing/awesome enough for four stars but definitely demands more than 3 stars.

While I can tell you a host of things I liked about this book, I can't exactly pinpoint what I didn't.

Perhaps, it was the palpable despondency and depression that surrounded this book.

Or maybe, it was the aimlessness of the story, the lack of an engaging plot in certain parts.

It could always also be that despite it being a fairly character-driven novel, I don't get a feel of Lauren.

17 & Gone was one o
Jenni Arndt
Mar 03, 2013 Jenni Arndt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-own
After reading Nova Ren Suma’s Imaginary Girls last year she fast became an author to watch for me. After reading 17 & Gone she has solidified herself as an author that I will buy & read anything that she does. Her writing is remarkable; the eerie, dreamlike quality of her prose sucks you in and leaves you questioning everything that you read. 17 & Gone is a novel about missing girls, not only girls that are taken but also ones who have run away from their life.

Lauren was someone tha
Emily May
This started really well but I've hit a patch that isn't holding my attention, I just find it really easy to put aside right now. Maybe I'll come back to it later.
Gemma
Sep 02, 2013 Gemma rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Imaginary Girls, Nova Ren Suma's fist novel, was one of those books that I hated immediately after finishing (though I still gave it 4 stars; generous for me) but looked back on in high regard. It's one of those books I'd like to obtain someday for my collection, if only in the hardback edition with the beautiful, fitting cover. Overall, it left a good impression on me, and I hope I have time to reread it someday.

With 17 & Gone, I went into it hoping for a very similar experience: creepy, di
Hayden
Aug 20, 2014 Hayden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
full review to be posted, or read it HERE!

Pre-Review Commentary:

Oh my Gosh I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO BE RELEASED. Those of you who've read her other YA book, you understand why. If it's anything like Imaginary Girls, I'm going to love it and build a shrine in its honor.

The Nova Ren Suma Shrine under construction. To be completed Spring 2012.
Zoe
Jan 27, 2016 Zoe rated it it was ok

Something about 17 & Gone just simply didn't click with me. Sure, it was a beautiful, eloquently written horror story that is sure to chill you to the bones as you witness all these missing children's stories intertwine, and it's all wonderfully atmospheric; but I felt something huge was missing, but I can't quite put my hand on what it was.

Was it the fact that the main character drove me bonkers?
Maybe.
Was it the fact that by the time something actually happened, I had already given up?
Defi
Sylvia
Apr 05, 2014 Sylvia rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
oh, this really wasn't my thing, despite seeming like it could be my thing for a very long time. this is prime evidence of someone who i think has an interesting idea but just has no idea how to actually execute it in a way that isn't riddled with holes and conveniences. (the jj abrams disease, if you will.) i can't really say much about this story without giving the "twist" (which is a really gross way to describe what happens, but okay) away, and i don't think that's a warranted thing in a rev ...more
Elizabeth K.
Apr 18, 2013 Elizabeth K. rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-new-reads
I never quite got on board with this book. A 17 year old high school student starts hearing voices and having visions of other 17 year old girls who are missing -- whether they have run away, or been abducted, or encountered accidents, they are missing.

I'm going to spoiler this because it's the kind of book where talking about the structure will give away some stuff, even though I won't reveal any specific plot details.

(view spoiler)
Kelly
Mar 21, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I reread this in March. It is at 4.5. This was really good on read one. It was SPECTACULAR on read number two.

*****
10/12

The genres for this one are all over the map and pretty much exactly right and exactly wrong simultaneously.

Lauren keeps seeing 17-year-old girls who have gone missing. She fears she's next -- she's 17. She's not that different than those other girls.

Except that she is.

At this point, it's impossible to talk about this book without spoilers. (view spoiler)
Rayne
Absolutely mesmerizing, riveting and so beautifully written.

4.5 stars!

I want to give it that extra star, but it took me some time to really get into it. Still, another incredible book by one incredible author.
Kelly
Ehh... 3.5 ish?? This is my first Nova Suma book, and I doubt it will be my last. 17 & Gone was so gorgeously written, and not at all what I was expecting... And I'm okay with that. I mean it did take some time for this one to grow on me, but after reading that last page and last sentence, I am more than okay with the journey Nova Ren Suma took me on with this read. It was well worth the ride. But let me forewarn you, it was one heck of a slow ride, with too few ups and downs, but a big enou ...more
ily
“How heartless it was for a girl to be forgotten and buried before there was even anything of there to put in the ground.”

Encontré este libro en la lista de favoritos de uno de mis amigos. Irónicamente, esa persona me dio unfriend días después. Ja. Ha resultado en un gran placer el leer 17 & Gone. Los personajes, la historia, la narrativa.... Las estrellas parecen alinearse y poner todo en su lugar para lograr un producto final memorable.

17 & Gone es un misterio que no es enteramente u
Sarah Marie
17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma

4 stars
There are spoilers and it's best not to click unless you've read the book. Unless you don't care about being spoiled then go for it!

Lauren starts to have visions of girls who have gone missing a few months before her seventeenth birthday. All these girls are 17 and gone. While Lauren struggles to shake the nightmares and uncover the questions about why these girls are speaking to her and how to help them. In a little house in Lauren’s dreams all the girls aw

Evie Janelle
Apr 04, 2013 Evie Janelle rated it it was amazing
From Blue Butterfly Books.

Holy. Nova Ren Suma, you fucking genius you. Sorry, language censor is down for a bit because I just read a work of brilliance and I'm just in that mode of, Did I really fucking read something so fucking amaze? And yes. Yes, I did.

Let's get one thing straight, right off the bat. I love Nova Ren Suma. I've read her two latest YA's (this and Imaginary Girls) and I'm thoroughly convinced she's one of my top five favorite authors ever. If not in the top three. Yes, top thre
Kari
Jan 01, 2013 Kari rated it it was amazing
This book stunned me, and even over a week later, I am still thinking about it. It is beautifully scripted, and has such a hefty emotional atmosphere to it. From a sense of loss and isolation to confusion and determination, everything is as much in the background as it is the foreground. This is one of those books that is almost impossible to talk about without spoiling anything, so I will leave this short and sweet, but say this is one of the most potent books I've ever read.
oliviasbooks
Abandoned around the 21% mark of my Kindle. My only status update: "I had wanted to read this for so long, because the Suma's stunningly beautiful debut "Imaginary Girls" impressed me so much. Now, to my own horror, I am steering towards abandoning a book I coveted for months and months: Dear author, the is-it-imagination-or-is-it-sick-or-is-it-magic-angle gets stale/old the second time around. Try something new and I'll read it."
Suzanne
Jun 09, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
Lauren is used to her life being a certain way: living with her tattooed, single mom who worked as a dancer and is studying psychology in the Hudson River Valley in New York and dating Jamie while doing pretty well at school and working part-time at a grocery store. All that's familiar takes a backseat to a new obsession--a girl named Abigail on a missing poster. She's driven past the pole a hundred times, but on this day she dashes across traffic to pull it down. Soon she knows that she goes by ...more
Ms. Library
Mar 14, 2013 Ms. Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-buy
I received this as an ARC from netgalley.

When I read Imaginary Girls over a year ago, I was entranced. It was a book that drew you in and blurred the lines of reality. So, when I saw the author had written another book, I couldn't wait to read it.

Reading this book feels like slowing sinking into another world. The lines of reality and fantasy get blurred, and its easy to see why the main character is struggling with what is happening. When I stopped reading, it felt like slowly waking up. Suma
Meaghan
Apr 07, 2013 Meaghan rated it really liked it
BookHookup
Mar 14, 2013 BookHookup rated it liked it
This book was originally reviewed on The Book Hookup.

**I received an ARC from Penguin but that did not influence the review**

My first thoughts before I opened the book: This sounds uber creepy! It seemed like the novel crossed into so many genres and I looked forward to discovering where I thought it fit in.

First thoughts after reading: That was a mind f*ck and now I’m so disappointed.

The story: The fist 60% was pretty slow for me and I found myself putting the book down. However, it still pique
Paige (Enchantology)
May 14, 2013 Paige (Enchantology) rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, standalone
This review can also be found on my blog.

I devoured 17 & Gone. Admittedly this book was a pleasant surprise. This isn't necessarily a book I would normally pick up, mainly because I'm not a big contemporary reader. These days I'm trying to challenge myself to branch out more, and this was one of those books that I hoped would be different. And different it was. 17 & Gone doesn't let you in on its secret until far into the book. Is this truly a paranormal occurrence, or is the main charac
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Seventeen and Gone is a chilling tale about girls that go missing when they’re 17, told through Nova Ren Suma’s poetic, evocative prose.

It’s a story of one girls devotion to finding out what has happened to Abby, a girl found on a missing poster. It’s also the story of how that girl can lose herself in the process in this psychological thriller.

Within its pages, we find out about Lauren’s commitment to finding out what happen
Tandie
A big thank you to Dutton Books for sending me a copy of this book to review.

Nova Ren Suma can really tell a tale! I love her writing style, so this won't be the last of her books I pick up. 17 year old Lauren is being haunted by girls who've gone missing. They've disappeared under all kinds of circumstances and have never been found. She becomes obsessed with these missing, 17 year old girls. Things start to get very strange. I couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't.

Later in the story, th
  • Bruised
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
  • Wild Awake
  • Made of Stars
Nova Ren Suma is the author of the YA novels THE WALLS AROUND US as well as the YA novels IMAGINARY GIRLS and 17 & GONE, which were both named 2014 Outstanding Books for the College Bound by YALSA. Her middle-grade novel, DANI NOIR, was reissued for a YA audience under the title FADE OUT. She has a BA in writing & photography from Antioch College and an MFA in fiction from Columbia Univers ...more
More about Nova Ren Suma...

“The ghosts tonight have already told their stories.” 9 likes