Start by marking “Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust's Long Reach into Arab Lands” as Want to Read:

Thousands of people have been honored for saving Jews during the Holocaust—but not a single Arab. Looking for a hopeful response to the plague of Holocaust denial sweeping across the Arab and Muslim worlds, Robert Satloff sets off on a quest to find the Arab hero whose story will change the way Arabs view Jews, themselves, and their own history. The story of the Holocaust' ...more
Published October 30th 2006 by PublicAffairs (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Among the Righteous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Righteous

Ice
May 11, 2010 Ice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, favorites
Robert Satloff is a man with a mission. He believes that if contemporary Arabs knew about Arabs who rescued Jews during the Holocaust, they would reject the Holocaust denial and anti-Semitism that are now so prevalent in the Arab/Muslim world. This book tells of his quest to track down the history of those Arabs' deeds.
Satloff begins by relating the oft-ignored story of how Nazi Germany, Vichy France and fascist Italy exported their anti-Semitic policies to North Africa. They deprived Jews of th
Jul 31, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Maybe it's that I watched the documentary first, and the documentary focuses it's attention very differently than the book, but I found this book quite disappointing. That's not to say that it wasn't well researched and written--although Satloff has a tendency to be extremely dry--but that it wasn't what I expected it to be.

Among the Righteous bills itself even in it's subtitle as a book about trying to find stories of righteous (according to the Jewish definition) Arabs who helped Jews escape t
Bruce
May 10, 2015 Bruce rated it really liked it
The author states he set out to find out if a single Arab helped a single Jew during the Holocaust. What he found was some Arabs helped some Jews but they and/or their family did not want to reveal it or have it made known. Nazis controlled parts of North Africa for a fortunately brief time during World War II but they started to implement the 'final solution'. Many Jews were sent to labor camps to build the trans-Saharan Railway. A few were sent to death camps in Europe. However, it was not muc ...more
Steve Cran
Contrary to popular belief the long arm of the Holocaust did in fact reach the Arab world. During World War 2 it is a known fact that Nazi ideology had a profound impact on the Middle East. The author , an American Jews who has studied the arab world for twenty five years finds himself pondering what great idea would help break the ice on Arab silence over the Holocaust. THe author then goes on a quest to find heroes who helped Jews during the World War 2.

After 1940 France fell to Nazi forces an
Seth Kaplan
Mar 28, 2012 Seth Kaplan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic work of non-fiction that at times read like a great mystery novel. Robert Satloff, the executive director of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, sets out to find an Arab hero of the Holocaust, in an effort to craft a response to the plague of Holocaust denial sweeping across the Arab and Muslim worlds. He describes his experiences in Tunisia and Morocco, unearthing information about forced labor camps that existed during World War II in both countries. He gathers ...more
Danny
May 12, 2011 Danny rated it liked it
The research underlying this book is remarkable, the sort of challenging work that requires real passion to see through to the end. Satloff casts light onto what seems to be a largely unknown story: the Holocaust's reach into north Africa and the Middle East. And Satloff's underlying goal, to improve Arab-Jewish relations through demonstrating how that relationship was better in the past, is an admirable one.

But I can't help but think that Satloff set his bar too low. Early in the book, he expli
Laurence
Mar 03, 2011 Laurence rated it really liked it
Very interesting though quite factual and dry. This is a non fiction by a a Jewish PHD in Arab Studies who seeks to know if any Arabs helped any Jews during the Holocaust. What we find by association is that Arabs living in proximity to Jewish life was in North Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Libya..) and that there were over 100 concentration camps in these areas during the war. Being a Moroccan Jew, this was a fact I was totally ignorant of. It also sheds some life on what life was like in German-oc ...more
Judy
May 14, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
Very interesting book on a subject I knew little about-the North African Campaign during WWII and the treatment of Jews in those countries.
Mohammed Saad
Dec 13, 2012 Mohammed Saad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب رواية يهودى يحكى قصص عن يهود عرب تعرضوا للاضهاد من قبل الاحتلال الالمانى المؤقت والحكومة الموالية له "فيشى" محاولة من الكاتب لنشر ثقافة السلام المزعومة،العجيب بدأ بحكايات تثبت تورط العرب فى اضطهاد اليهود إما بالصمت ،او المشاركة الفعلية بدرجات متفاوتة ثم تطرق إلى قصص تثبت ان العرب ساعدوا اليهود على الهروب من اضطهاد النازيين واشهرها مسجد باريس الذى انقذ يهود ومقاومة فرنسية من النازيين..غالب الاحداث من الشمال الافريقى وذكر حكاية من مصر فقط..طبعا الكاتب يهودى يحكى روايات غير موثقة نهائيا..كما ...more
Carol
Oct 19, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Important research that unearthed the Holocaust experiences of the Jews of North Africa. Satloff learned of Arabs who assisted the Vichy French and the Germans as they sent Jews to death in the labor camps of N. Africa. He also found and interviewed Jews who were rescued by Arabs. Finally, he questions why Israel has never recognized any Arabs among the Righteous who rescued Jews. He also discovered a complete ignorance among Jews and Arabs alike concerning this hidden part of WWII history.
Karen
May 22, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
Fabulous historical research yielding stories we need to read. I had lived in Morocco for 12 years when I read it and never knew about the railroad built by forced labor (European Jewish prisoners) under Vichy France's control. More work like this needs to be done before the stories are lost.
Amy
Aug 25, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Very interesting book about the search for Arabs who helped Jewish people during the time of the holocaust. The author scoured northern Africa for stories of Muslim who help to protect and hide Jews during the time of the German-backed Vichy (French) government.
ebnewberry Newberry
this is a book with a topic that i had never considered. the reach of the holocaust into arab lands. it focuses on finding arabs who helped jews during this time period but alsogives a good general overview of what was going on in north africa during the war.
Josh C.
Worthwhile, but it's a damn shame somebody didn't pursue the same idea 20 years earlier, or that nobody was able to make as much headway if they did. Satloff did well, but it's a project that needs time that the people involved don't have left.
Lulu
Mar 30, 2008 Lulu marked it as to-read
Marketing Geniuses!...the polarizing title alone got me. Look at the plethora of hot buttons: righteous,holocaust,arab lands. I hope to walk away having read this with some emotional response worth experiencing.
Matthew
Jul 17, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
A very interesting look at the Holocaust outside of Europe, an area we don't normally think about. Doubly interesting given the way politics evolved after the Holocaust.
Tiffany
Aug 25, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I think everyone should read this book. I learned things about the Holocaust that I have never heard or known.
Jenny
Sep 10, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
A fascinating and heretofore unknown tale about the treatment of Jews in Northern Africa during WWII.
Susan Kosel
Aug 14, 2012 Susan Kosel rated it really liked it
Very interesting especially since my father in law was stationed in Northern Africa during WWII.
Raechelle Thomas
May 29, 2008 Raechelle Thomas rated it it was ok
I just can't get very far in this book....
maybe I'll try again in a couple of months
Sam
Apr 01, 2010 Sam rated it liked it
The book seems to be taking it's time in proving it's mission statement.
Elyanahposner
Sep 27, 2009 Elyanahposner rated it liked it
Less interesting than I thought it would be. Something inconsistent about it.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
M.Humphreys
M.Humphreys marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Jonah
Jonah rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Chris Zarozinski
Chris Zarozinski marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Markusmaria
Markusmaria is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2016
Lisa Norris
Lisa Norris marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
peter blum
peter blum marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
  • Who Will Write Our History?: Rediscovering a Hidden Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Prompt and Utter Destruction: Truman and the Use of Atomic Bombs Against Japan, Revised Edition
  • When They Come for Us, We'll Be Gone: The Epic Struggle to Save Soviet Jewry
  • Fear Up Harsh: An Army Interrogator's Dark Journey Through Iraq
  • there is no goat
  • Love in a World of Sorrow: A Teenage Girl's Holocaust Memoirs
  • Was God on Vacation?
  • In Reckless Hands: Skinner v. Oklahoma and the Near-Triumph of American Eugenics
  • The Arab Awakening: The Story of the Arab National Movement