Start by marking “The Beginner’s Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables: The 100 Easiest-to-Grow, Tastiest-to-Eat Vegetables for Your Garden” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Are heirloom vegetables more difficult to grow than conventional hybrids? The Beginner's Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables debunks this myth by highlighting the 100 heirloom vegetables that are the easiest to grow and the tastiest to eat.

Marie Iannotti makes it simple for beginning gardeners to jump on the heirloom trend by presenting an edited list based on years of ga
Published January 11th 2012 by Timber Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Beginner’s Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables

Tuck
average of 2-4 pics and varieties of 100 types of veggies, from dragon carrots to ronde de nice zucchini and author's descriptions are yum um yummy and has good ideas on eating these things. lots just aren;t appropriate for oklahoma and not a very good way to tell from her entries which would be, but it would give a gardener something to do in the winter to figure all that out. she tells a little history of the veggies too that are interesting

and i quote "citius quam asparagi coquentur"

Mathew Carruthers
Excellent advice and guidelines for growing heirloom vegetables, usable by gardeners of any experience level. The information is presented in an easy to follow format and includes tips for growing from seed, suggestions for meal preparation, photographs of each selection, suggestions for similar plants to try, as well as sections about proper seed saving techniques and cross-pollination risks for each type of plant. This book would be a welcome addition to any gardener's resource library. I have ...more
Lauren
A comprehensive guide to the common and available heirlooms available on the market today. Each section is broken up into families (legumes, summer squashes, etc.) and includes 5-10 varieties of heirlooms. For each vegetable and fruit, there is seed information, tips on planting/transplanting, and harvest information. In descriptions she gives some preservation tips (drying beans, basic cooking/canning). Additional information at the end includes seed saving techniques, commercial heirloom nurse ...more
Lis
Beautiful book. Before I was even out of the introduction, I had a list of seeds to try! I love it that the first carrots weren't orange, but purple, and that beans can look like long red noodles. It's a pity that most folks have to settle for bland and (vastly less tasty) varieties of fruit and vegetables just because those are the ones that transport and store well.

Next year my garden is going to be an explosion of color!
Scottsdale Public Library
The book provides one hundred easy vegetables to grow in your garden. In addition, the reader is offered growing and harvesting tips. I found the sharp, full-color photographs especially useful. It helps to know how vegetables are meant to appear when they are straight from the ground and not processed by the grocer. -Michael S.-
Rose Ann
Apr 23, 2012 Rose Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gardeners
Recommended to Rose Ann by: found in Organic Gardening magazine
Shelves: gardening
I was quite pleased that I ran across this book at the library. I got several great ideas, and they have detailed descriptions and background of every plant in the book. Some of them are suitable for containers, like the Minnesota Midget canteloupe which I am planning on growing this season! Lovely pictures too.
Philip
Informative with beautiful pictures. I'd call this the artistic heirloom gardener's vegetable selection. Not a huge variety, but Ianotti has chosen some of her favorites (based on taste, versatility, beauty and other categories) from years of gardening.
Po
Some good suggestions for something different than your usual heirloom farmers market choices. I like the easy to read layout and the balance of text with the descriptive photos.
Heather
the author made all manner of strange vegetables seem appealing! many of the varieties have a short growing season, which gives me some hope of trying them in our frigid climate.
Lisa
Would have been much more useful if I'd stumbled across is during the winter instead of when I've already planned this year's garden!
Heath
I did quite like it but it doesn't quite cover the subject as thoroughly as you would expect.
Mr. V.
Exactly what the title says: great for beginners like me, new to heirlooms!
Jan
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 18, 2014
Brandon Smith
Brandon Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 09, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Austin Wilkes
Austin Wilkes marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014