Start by marking “The Beginner's Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables: The 100 Easiest-to-Grow, Tastiest Vegetables for Your Garden” as Want to Read:

Growing your own vegetables has never looked, or tasted, so good.

Are heirloom vegetables more difficult to grow than conventional hybrids? The Beginner's Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables debunks this myth by highlighting the 100 heirloom vegetables that are the easiest to grow and the tastiest to eat.

Marie Iannotti makes it simple for beginning gardeners to jump on th
Published January 11th 2012 by Timber Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Beginner's Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables

Tuck
Jun 08, 2012 Tuck rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine-and-food
average of 2-4 pics and varieties of 100 types of veggies, from dragon carrots to ronde de nice zucchini and author's descriptions are yum um yummy and has good ideas on eating these things. lots just aren;t appropriate for oklahoma and not a very good way to tell from her entries which would be, but it would give a gardener something to do in the winter to figure all that out. she tells a little history of the veggies too that are interesting

and i quote "citius quam asparagi coquentur"

Sherri Anderson
Sep 29, 2016 Sherri Anderson rated it really liked it
Very cool book. I made a list of all the vegetables I want to grow!
Mathew Carruthers
Feb 06, 2014 Mathew Carruthers rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice and guidelines for growing heirloom vegetables, usable by gardeners of any experience level. The information is presented in an easy to follow format and includes tips for growing from seed, suggestions for meal preparation, photographs of each selection, suggestions for similar plants to try, as well as sections about proper seed saving techniques and cross-pollination risks for each type of plant. This book would be a welcome addition to any gardener's resource library. I have ...more
Lauren
Apr 11, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
A comprehensive guide to the common and available heirlooms available on the market today. Each section is broken up into families (legumes, summer squashes, etc.) and includes 5-10 varieties of heirlooms. For each vegetable and fruit, there is seed information, tips on planting/transplanting, and harvest information. In descriptions she gives some preservation tips (drying beans, basic cooking/canning). Additional information at the end includes seed saving techniques, commercial heirloom nurse ...more
Alisa Kester
Beautiful book. Before I was even out of the introduction, I had a list of seeds to try! I love it that the first carrots weren't orange, but purple, and that beans can look like long red noodles. It's a pity that most folks have to settle for bland and (vastly less tasty) varieties of fruit and vegetables just because those are the ones that transport and store well.

Next year my garden is going to be an explosion of color!
Scottsdale Public Library
The book provides one hundred easy vegetables to grow in your garden. In addition, the reader is offered growing and harvesting tips. I found the sharp, full-color photographs especially useful. It helps to know how vegetables are meant to appear when they are straight from the ground and not processed by the grocer. -Michael S.-
Rose Ann
Apr 02, 2012 Rose Ann rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gardeners
Recommended to Rose Ann by: found in Organic Gardening magazine
Shelves: gardening
I was quite pleased that I ran across this book at the library. I got several great ideas, and they have detailed descriptions and background of every plant in the book. Some of them are suitable for containers, like the Minnesota Midget canteloupe which I am planning on growing this season! Lovely pictures too.
Megan Phelps
Jan 09, 2016 Megan Phelps rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
This book had a lot of great suggestions for heirloom vegetable varieties to try. I found information on a few that were already favorites, and many others I would like to try. A great book to reference whenever you're planning next year's garden.
Linda Harkins
Mar 25, 2016 Linda Harkins rated it really liked it
Both the photography and information are inspiring, but I don't agree that these are the easiest-to-grow vegetables in my garden. Iannotti has given me much food for thought, however. I will definitely try some of her tips as I plan during the early days of spring my fourth vegetable garden.
Philip
Apr 04, 2013 Philip rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Informative with beautiful pictures. I'd call this the artistic heirloom gardener's vegetable selection. Not a huge variety, but Ianotti has chosen some of her favorites (based on taste, versatility, beauty and other categories) from years of gardening.
Alaine
Apr 21, 2015 Alaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening-wisdom
I enjoyed this. I have a list of to-try varieties for seed shopping next February. Preserving the legacy of past home gardeners is important to me, and at the same time, I want to grow varieties that will feed my family and friends.
Po
Feb 07, 2013 Po rated it really liked it
Some good suggestions for something different than your usual heirloom farmers market choices. I like the easy to read layout and the balance of text with the descriptive photos.
Heather
May 13, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: garden
the author made all manner of strange vegetables seem appealing! many of the varieties have a short growing season, which gives me some hope of trying them in our frigid climate.
J.K. Riki
The verbage in this book was a little too flowery for me. It was a bit void of substance, but the details of each vegetable were fine. Handy as a reference, I suppose.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, garden
Would have been much more useful if I'd stumbled across is during the winter instead of when I've already planned this year's garden!
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Bob Broyles
Bob Broyles rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Ron Onnen
Ron Onnen rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Judy Hamilton
Judy Hamilton rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2012
Mr. V.
Aug 13, 2013 Mr. V. rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2013
Exactly what the title says: great for beginners like me, new to heirlooms!
Gabrielle W.
Gabrielle W. rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Maryanne Lucas
Maryanne Lucas rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Samantha Kramer
Samantha Kramer rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014