Preservation (Preservation, #1)

Preservation (Preservation #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  2,962 ratings  ·  334 reviews
Fear is sabotage’s sweetest weapon.

Kate has no time for meaningless romantic charades, and definitely no time for hot college professors who are full of themselves and smitten with her. Constantly battling eviction notices, tuition she can’t afford, and a sick, dependent mother, the last thing she needs is to be distracted with someone else’s complicated baggage.

When she...more
Published May 25th 2012 by Rabbit Hole Press (first published April 8th 2012)

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
87th out of 753 books — 5,648 voters
Slammed by Colleen HooverGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardEasy by Tammara WebberVampire Academy by Richelle MeadLosing It by Cora Carmack
Student-Teacher Affair Novels
23rd out of 157 books — 975 voters

More lists with this book...

Dinjolina
This book was a whole lot of ‘almost there’-s. I almost liked it. It almost had the themes of ow , jealousy, and drama done right. I almost liked the hero. I almost liked the love affair. I almost believed the backgrund.

First off, the reasons behind the hero’s character-that ultimately set up the tone of the book:
A beta man that once got cheated on by the woman he loved goes on a 'penis for all' rampage? He breaks hearts right and left! He cheats on everybody! Still….women fall at his feet.
Reall...more
Ash Wednesday
1 STAR
Fear is sabotage's sweetest weapon.
-this book's cover

Um, whut? Was that translated from somewhere else? Because that tagline makes absolutely no sense relative to this book.

I don't take proclamations lightly but this is possibly the worst NA book I've finished reading… so far (because my faith in this genre to do worse is pretty unshakable). So much so that I feel like I owe the few books I've read and 1-starred (DNFs not included) before this at least dinner.

I refuse to spoiler tag any...more
Alex
Hosted by imgur.com

Awful writing, awful story, idiotic characters, awful dialogue!
Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog
Ok..before I start I have to tell you a secret..I have a strange relationship with free books. When I see a free book on amazon that sounds fairly decent I get it..but 9 out of 10 times I don't read it, it goes in a folder and stays there. Not quite sure why..Then yesterday I thought I'd have a peek at Preservation which I got free and I was hooked from the start...my kind of book and I thought how many of these little gems are sitting on my kindle being ignored. Because Preservation was FAB!! I...more
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
Five Stars =)

Preservation has a great story, awesome characters, tons of drama and romance. Kate first meets Ryan in class as her Professor. The two do not start off on the right foot. Obviously the two has some tension, but not just because she's late for his class. Though Ryan is crazy sexy, crazy smart with crazy hot tattoos, he's also developed a reputation for being one of those philandering professor types. Kate wasn't sure what to make of Ryan. First he scolds her for being late and for b...more
Fathima
"But this isn’t a story about my coming of age or all the shit I went through growing up. It’s a love story about how I met Ryan. How he stole my running shoes and put reality in perspective for me. In the most infuriating, blindingly beautiful way possible, a way that only he could. And how I wrestled with his influence until the inevitable instilled me with a brand new kind of fear—regret."

Oh yeah , a paragraph like that is more than enough to get me excited to read this ....

Ke$ha excited .gif Pictures, Images and Photos

*clears throat...more
Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog)
*I was given this as an Advanced Readers copy for review by the Author.*

“Preservation is a classic story of how love prevails all.”

Kate turner is a twenty-something independent young women trying pay her way through college and pursue her career as a working author. When Kate meets Mr. Campbell: her smooth talking and feisty college professor she is immediately turned off by his obnoxious observations, snarky attitude, and overly confident stature but that is deterred by his good looks dreamy ey...more
Allison
I so wanted to like this b/c I am a sucker for Professor/student relationships. Preservation was a DNF for me. I read half. There was no sexual tension, and no chemistry b/w the characters and I didn't give a flip what happened to them.
Melissa
This review is a bit difficult for me to write. I know that there will be lots of people that really do enjoy this story, and I can respect that. But so much of reading enjoyment has to do with where we are at personally while we are reading, and I'm afraid that there were too many elements of this story that didn't sit well with me. For that reason I couldn't give it higher than a two. But you might be one of those who adore this story, so don't totally let me dissuade you from reading this sto...more
Glass
Review from Way Too Hot Books

I have to be honest with you - I've read Preservation by Rachael Wade against all warnings my friends gave me when they saw that I had put it on my currently reading shelf. After first ten pages or so I thought that they probably had read the different book or something like that. But... They know me well.

What initially got my attention was the story. Kate is this kick ass heroine who tries as best as she can to escape her past and make something out of herself wi...more
Vivian

I want to like this book more than I did because I genuinely enjoyed Wade's writing. I found the book engaging and well-written. And if the story had ended at the halfway point, I'd probably rate the book higher. There was a point somewhere in the 50% area where we could've had a nice HEA and been done with a sweet short story. The second half was just too bizarro and unbelievable for me. Plus, with the extra length, I was hoping for a little more character development.

A couple other t...more
cEe beE
In a nutshell, Preservation is an insta-lust story between two unlikeable characters with no chemistry; Ryan, a college professor and manwhore with his student, the passive-aggressive wannabe writer, Kate.

The sex scenes were hot and I wish they were longer to compensate for all the stupid, unbelievable melodrama. Perhaps, the book would have worked better if the author continued Ryan's POV to alternate with Kate's. Perhaps not.
Maria
Loved,Loved,Loved this book!! Rachael Thanks for writing it with us girls on your mind, soooooo my kind of book!! You definitely got my number when you know exactly what I like in a book!! Just enough Sweet, Steamy and Funny:)

Amber
May 20, 2012 Amber rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: ebook
***Warning Review May Contai Spoilers***
Rachael Wade is an amazing author!

I cried, I laughed, and I even got angry but the heat and passion that you feel when reading Preservation is intoxicating and surreal. Rachael makes her readers connect with her characters in away that makes you want more.

Kate has had to work hard for everything she had and wanted. Her father ran out on her and her mother when she was young, leaving her to fend for herself when her mother fell apart.

Now Kate is taking care...more
Ren
Originally posted at A Little Bit of R&R Reviews
Kate's life has never been easy, her father left when she was 13 and her mother became addicted to drugs. She's always had to work hard and fend for herself . Now at 25, she is enrolled in college and working long hours to take care or her mother. The last thing she wants is baggage...male baggage that is. Her two best friends, Carter and Dean, have always been attracted to her but are always there to protect her. Carter is hilarious and always...more
Marissa
This was absolutely a great love story! I believe there was a good amount of conflict that really can put you on edge, and for me, I liked that, as there were unexpected turns that this story takes us, and you definitely will want to know what happens next! I enjoyed that part of the story was taken place at a college and writing was a main theme in both Ryan's and Kate's life. Speaking of these two, I think they are both well developed characters. They both have had some unfortunate situations...more
Halyna
Beautiful love story between two burnt people, who managed to overcome their fears and reservations and made each other happy. The chemistry between main characters was depicted so perfectly, that I could feel, and though they both made some bad decisions, they were likeable and nice. Most of all I loved Carter and Dean - I wouldn't mind such loyal friends! I loved everything about this book - it was emotional, sometimes heartbreaking and rewarding in the end despite all the predicaments. Highl...more
Holly
This was a free download.

Can I start off by saying I'm totally creeped out by the whole "professor who boinks his students" thing? Even if a school doesn't have a no-fraternization policy - which I find unlikely in this day and age - after a major scandal (which was alluded to in this book) I doubt the administration would continue to look the other way as it happened again and again.

That was just a small problem with this book, however. Neither character acted adult-like. She's 25 and he's 27-...more
Melissa
(4.5 STARS)

Rachael...Thank You!!! This was exactly what I needed right now! I absolutely LOVED Ryan! He was sarcastic and a pain in the ass; but a sexy one. I really enjoyed this story; it had drama, it was funny (Carter and Dean were great), and Ryan and Kate were perfect! Their chemistry was hot and their love was beautiful!
*P*u*r*p*l*e*
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Last night I had a hard time falling asleep and decided to pick up a book that would be a fast read. I read the opening to Preservation and immediately found myself enthralled in the story. I knew from the opening that I could zoom through it.

It was definitely a fast read, very interesting, and for whatever reason, as much I wanted to DNF it, I couldn't. I read it until the end and was bothered by it all.

First I would like to say, it does have some sexy steamy scenes that I did enjoy. The begi...more
Kayla Eklund
Preservation is Rachael Wade's best book yet. Out of all the books I've read this year, this one has been my favorite by far. I loved how well the story line flowed. There were no plot holes, spelling errors, grammar errors, or other inconsistencies. I thought it was going to take me a while to read since it's an adult book and I typically read young adult books. However, the story absolutely captivated me and I kept turning pages late at night wanting to know what happened next. I finished it i...more
Kim
I loved this book. I mean, I really loved it.

So many things almost got in the way of my reading this book, it's a miracle I made it through. I'm so glad that I did! First off, I'm picky about what romance books I'll read. I like a good romance, but there are FAR too many that are simply ridiculous. More so than in any other genre. I like to preview reviews before starting one. This one had me stumped because though there were MORE good reviews than bad, the bad reviews were pretty negative &...more
Carly
I am a huge fan of Rachael Wade's highly addictive Resistance trilogy, but I have to say Preservation I love just that little bit more. I was instantly engaged and interested in the storyline. And as usual Rachael Wade's writing style is superb. I genuinely cared about the main character Kate, who was well developed and intriguing. Wade really can turn her hand to anything, genre wise and this stunning contemporary romance proves it.

Kate has a talent for writing and she works hard tutoring to be...more
Readinista
From the description, Preservation started off how exactly as I expected it would, but then the story took me by surprise. It went in another direction completely, and then some twists and turns were added. Preservation held my attention steadily and, when I reached the end, it left me wanting more. And then the author actually gave me more by including two bonus chapters. *Hallelujah choir*

Twenty-five year old college student, Kate Parker, has a busy life of studying writing and working to pay...more
Splage
2 1/2 - 3 stars
Quick read. This was a good story with many themes that I do like (jealousy, other women), but it just was a little shallow on the depth...I wanted more. I just didn't feel the connections to the characters, their emotional development was a little too casual that when they had their misunderstandings I wasn't overwhelmed with feelings for them. The story also had some big conflicts, but they came to conclusions very easily.

I really wasn't gaga over the hero either. I like an arr...more
Amy  Fate
I am so happy that Rachael went off the path of YA/Fantasy..and brought us this little piece of heaven!! This book was fabulous, wonderful, great!! The characters were to me were so relatable, they both put up this front..a wall. Both of them had considerable heartache in the past and didn't want any repeats, but at the same time they just were hoping that maybe this was it, maybe this person was going to be different. Their relationship is far from perfect, but I think in the end they work to h...more
Melissa Brown
I liked this book, but didn't love it....I needed more from the characters to know why they loved each other...they were infatuated, for sure, but what did they love about one another? Ryan was willing to change everything for her, which was sweet, but he offered to it so quickly without making it obvious to the reader why she was so different to him.....why was she a game changer? Her looks? Her writing? It would have been a bit more believable if they had spent more time together befo...more
Shatha
This was simply beuatiul , authentic and real. I fell in love with it from the very first page , it had real people with real problems and emotions. It showed us how love can actually destroy a person but also bring them back up again and it tought me personally that maybe men do change when the right girl comes along and all you have to do is give them a chance . And it's true that preservation is our right but not to the point of taking the ones we love down with us becuase sometimes we have t...more
Lauren
Kate's life hasn’t always been easy but she has finally gotten herself together at 25 and started to pursue a writing career. Little didn't she know she would be at the receiving end of Ryan’s lectures and just how fascinating she would find them.

The story line overall was nice and real. The hard times exuded their past hardships and relationship problems. This was an easy fast paced read that I would recommend for anyone looking for a hardcore truth on relationships.

Note: I received this book...more
Goodreads Librari...: Combining editions 3 25 Feb 09, 2012 06:09PM
  • The Low Notes
  • Pieces of Lies (Pieces of Lies, #1)
  • A Toast to the Good Times
  • Because of Lucy (Butterfly Days, #1)
  • In the Air (The City, #1)
  • No Way Back (Mia's Way, #1)
  • Where I End and You Begin
  • Some Day Somebody (La Fleur de Love, #1)
  • On an Edge of Glass
  • Champagne Toast (Love of My Life, #2)
  • Fight or Flight (Fight or Flight, #1)
  • Groupie (Groupie, #1)
  • Almost Eighteen (Wilson Mooney #1)
  • Spiral
  • It Was You (Abby and West, #1)
  • Love vs. Payne
  • The Space Between (Space, #1)
  • Rock and Roll Never Forgets (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #1)

Rachael Wade writes edgy New Adult and Adult romance and science fiction. She is the author of the Amazon bestselling PRESERVATION SERIES, THE REPLACEMENT, and LOVE AND RELATIVITY, as well as the paranormal romance series THE RESISTANCE TRILOGY. When she's not writing, she's busy going to concerts, watching too many movies, and learning how to protect animals and the environment. She's an avid Bra...more
More about Rachael Wade...
Love and Relativity Reservation (Preservation, #2) Amaranth (The Resistance Trilogy, #1) The Replacement The Gates (The Resistance Trilogy, #2)

“The second he slipped inside of me, all I'd doubted, questioned, or feared evaporated, leaving me with one single, definite truth--I'd fallen in love with him in an all-consuming blaze that would blind me if I wasn't careful. We fit together like poorly cut puzzle pieces, but when the edges joined and were positioned just right, our scattered images came together to create a solid, deliberate piece of art, completely crystal clear and in focus. I was a goner.” 33 likes
“What do you see when you look at me?”

My eyes narrowed and I pressed my lips together, weighing my thoughts. All of his bimbo admirers aside, what did I see? What did my gut tell me about this man? What did it say that allowed me to wind up here with him, under such impulsive circumstances?

“You’re a sad man,” I swallowed. “You’re arrogant and set in your ways, but that creates a fortress for you. It’s your safe haven. Behind the moat is someone who has lost something he loved, only I’m not sure what, or who. You’re afraid of something and your loyalty is hidden away in a cell, wounded by betrayal.” I rested my head on the pillow. “That’s what I see.”

“On second thought,” he exhaled, letting his head drop next to mine. “You’re psychic.”
20 likes