Start by marking “Call Me Francis Tucket (The Tucket Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Call Me Francis Tucket (The Tucket Adventures, #2)

Call Me Francis Tucket (The Tucket Adventures #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  629 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Alone. Francis Tucket now feels more confident that he can handle almost anything. A year ago, on the wagon train, he was kidnapped from his family by a Pawnee hunting party. Then he escaped with the help of the mountain man, Mr. Grimes. Now that he and Mr. Grimes have parted ways, Francis is heading west on his Indian pony, crossing the endless prairie, trying to find his ...more
Published 2011 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Francis Tucket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me Francis Tucket

711Isabel B
CALL ME FRANCIS TUCKET, by Gary Paulsen, was good, but not as good as the prequel (MR. TUCKET.

I think that the book has some strong ideas, especially about human relationships.

I think that one thing that is important in the book is when Francis discovers Lottie and Billy, two young children, left to die, out on the prairie, because their father had cholera. That is an important part of the book, because it shows the relationships even within the wagon trains. They were kicked out, not because t
Billymeyer
This was a good book. It leaves off where the first book "Mr. Tucket" ended. The plot of the book is basically going to Oregon, then things start to take a turn for the worse. If you like old west books then I highly recommend this series of books. This book is good if you like reading short books. This series would be more for lower level readers.
Brock
I finished the book named Call Me Francis Tucket by Gary Paulsen. It has 97 pages. It is the second book in the Mr. Tucket series. It is also fiction.

Summary:

Francis is by himself. He look at the horizon when he sees a cloud of dust rise. He rides down to the dust and finds a wagon train. The master asks if he will hunt for them. Francis agrees and tells the man he will free range. When he takes off back over the ridge he sees a herd of buffalo. He rides down to them and his horse was trained to
Tom
4th-6th Grade
This Paulsen selection is the second book of a trilogy. I really enjoyed this acton packed Western frontier adventure. Francis had been abducted by an indian tribe and saved by a frontiresman a year before this story takes place. Now Francis gets seperated from the wagon train while off hunting and the adventure begins again. He now can take care of himself in the widerness, but when outlaws steal all of his supplies he must figure out how to survive with his brain and a broken down
Andrea
Pros: Full of action.

Cons: To short.

The Bottom Line: A historical fiction of the Oregon trail that is sure to please with it's character growth, action and wit.

He's back! Gary Paulsen and another book;Call Me Francis Tucket. Francis hasn't gotten to Oregon yet.

He had learned a lot from the one armed mountain man, Mr. Grimes, and decided to part with him. Francis was planning on riding next to a different group that was also heading to Oregon. But, due to a hunting accident, the fifteen-year-old
Jesse
the theme is that a a ten year old boy has two live alone in the wild and there are a few things that happen along and he finds surprises along the way.he finds kids and other things along his way in injoyed this wounderful book.i liked it .it was some what boring.it wsnt my faverite book becouse it was endless

the main character is francis tucket the love to hunt and and he got took from his family .the next big character is Mr grimes he s old and is a black smith i think.-here is the plot>
Kaleb Day
This was the second installment in the Tucket's Travels series. It was a good read. This takes place after Tucket has become a more seasoned frontiersman. He can handle himself a whole lot better now. There are some new characters introduced in this one, a prominent one actually being Francis' horse. SPOILERS. Then there is Lottie and Billy, Francis finds them in the middle of nowhere after their father has died of cholera. I like this book.
Travis Bughi
After reading the first one, I dove into the second one pretty hard but wasn't quite as enthralled with it as I was with the first one. I couldn't exactly put words as to why, though I think it was mostly to do with the new focus on him saving the little boy and girl. I found Francis' new "family" to be an unnecessary burden, and I kind of wished he hadn't met them. I wanted to see Francis grow and develop more on his own, get stronger and better, overcome challenges on his own terms, but instea ...more
Sam "the crusher" Wateland
This book was very detailed and adventures and thats what I like in books. The boy Francis is captured by Native Americans while he is heading West on the Oregon trail. He then escaped with a guy who only had one arm and they lived in the planes for a couple weeks. He finally found his way back to the wagon train. When he got back his father gave him a really good rifle for his birthday. He was scouting ahead for food when he came across a huge buffalo herd! He got into the herd and then shot on ...more
Drayton
Francis Tucket is a boy who lives by himself and lives off the land with his rifle he got for his birthday. He gets throw off path when he finds two children and all of the sudden he's not sure he can handle everything now.
Ms. Mielke's Class

This is a great historical fiction book for readers of all ages. I really liked the part when Francis, with the help of a mule, got his belongings back from two thieves. This book is great. HG
Ellyn Erickson
LOVE this boy's pluck and determination, right along with continuing to display compassion and humanity for others, even if they may not deserve it.
Inga
I love Francis Tucket. He really makes me think about how to interact in the world and what is right and wrong.
Colleen
Lots of action, wild west, survive in the wild, fight the bad guys. Great for boys
Shauna
I read this book to Austin. This has become a favorite of my boys...even my 19 year old! Francis' story begins in book 1 where he is kidnappped by Indians on his way to Oregon in a wagon train. He is rescued by a mountain man Mr. Grimes. In book 2, he leaves Mr. Grimes to join another wagon train to get back to his parents. He ends up getting pulled away from the wagon train in a buffalo stampede and on his own again. I love this whole series! It kept my sons attention and asking for more every ...more
Hunter
This book is about a kid named Francis. He is searching for buffalo when he shoots one his horse starts running with the herd. Francis gets lost and Two guys try to steal all of his and they do. They head off and Francis tracks them and steals his stuff back. Once he gets his stuff back he heads off and tries to find the wagon trail. Francis eventually does but they wont let him in because of disease. Francis is very mad and he heads on to start his new life.
Jenny
Francis Tucket has left the trapper Mr. Grimes and is traveling alone, trying to find his family along the Oregon Trail. He is robbed of his supplies, steals them back, survives a stampede, and finds an abandoned wagon. In it are 2 children, Lottie and Billy. Frances takes them with him when he discovers their father is dead of cholera. After trying to find the children a home, Francis decides they are all better off together.
Danny
I loved this book. It is about a young man named Francis Tucket who goes on an epic adventure through the west trying to find the oragon trail and get to california to find his family whom he lost in book one. it is a wonderful book and another outstanding success for Paulsen. I would recamend it to anyone who likes adventure or westerns!
Heathl
This is a really good book. It is a good book because it is set back in the western days. Its also a good book because it talks about how this boy has to overcome many obstacles in order to survive. So for anyone who wants a very good western book that will keep you on the edge of your seat I would suggest that you read this one.
Sally
Gary Paulsen writes well about America in the 1850's. Francis is a 15 year old boy who is orphaned and trying to get by on his own. He is separated from the wagon train and has difficult challenges trying to find his way back. I was involved in learned a lot about what the world might have been like back then.
Parker
Real rating 3.5 stars.
I loved the first one so much. I thought i would hate it but i loved it. The second one was not as good as the first though. It was a bit different and i just do not like it as much as i enjoyed the first one. I think i will read the third one just to see if i can finish the series
Zacaro Caro
When I read this book, I thought I'd be a child author and wanted to write a book like the Tucket books, I wanted to be done before my 13th birthday. It was almost 100 pages before the computer file got corrupt and my dream was ruined.

Gary Paulsen made me want to be an author.
Janet Abbott
I love Gary Paulsen books and this one is great!! Reading it with a 7th grader at school and I could not stop reading it and finished it! I would recommend this for any 4th through 7th grade reader or an adult....I really enjoyed it!
KatieSuzanne
I randomly picked this up at the library not knowing it was the second book in a series. It was great. I'd totally suggest the series to young boys(..or girls) who like Hatchet or My Side of the Mountain kind of books.
Denise
So the boys rated this book a 3/4. Very enjoyable read! Lottie being an annoying girl just feeds to the boys thoughts on girls, I think. :) This was a fun, total boy read and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it to them.
Eanderson
i thought this was a good book because it showed how people lived in the older days. also it showed how people and indians use to get along. it also showed that they took sicknesses a lot more serious back than
John Worthington
This is the second book in the series and Francis is on his own now. He continues to learn lessons as he hunts buffalo, meets bad men, has a mule adopt him, and rescues two kids. A very easy and fun read.
Larry
a very good book about a boy named francis tucket that gets captured by indians and rescued by a one armed mountain man. i would recommend it for young teenagers.
Collin Freeman
I didnt really like this book. It was really boring and didnt have a point to it. It also had a terrible ending and was unrealistic. I wouldnt recommend this book.
vinny zach austin derrick 1 1 Jan 18, 2013 11:41AM
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • Wild Man Island
  • Charley Skedaddle
  • Wagon Wheels
  • Brady
  • Sacajawea
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Escape from Home (Beyond the Western Sea #1)
  • Sarah Bishop
  • Journey to Topaz: A Story of the Japanese-American Evacuation
  • Crossing Purgatory: A Novel
  • Stowaway
  • On the Wings of Heroes
  • Tree of Freedom
  • The Night Journey
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...

The Tucket Adventures (6 books)
  • Mr. Tucket (The Tucket Adventures, #1)
  • Tucket's Ride (The Tucket Adventures, #3)
  • Tucket's Gold (The Tucket Adventures, #4)
  • Tucket's Home (The Tucket Adventures, #5)
  • Tucket's Travels: Francis Tucket's Adventures In The West, 1847-1849 (The Tucket Adventures, #1-5)
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)