Start by marking “X-Men: War Machines” as Want to Read:
X-Men: War Machines

X-Men: War Machines (X-Men, Volume III #5)

Domino has discovered a dark secret in the heart of Eastern Europe. A border dispute threatens to spread into an international incident. The leaders of Puternicstan have an army of black-market Sentinels, and they're ready to take the fight to neighbors Latveria and Symkaria!

Storm leads a strike team of Utopia's most powerful mutants - Warpath, Psylocke, Colossus and Jubi
Hardcover, Premiere, 112 pages
Published May 9th 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Jeff
Jul 30, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
I'm just a war machine
And I won't work for nobody but you (yeah baby)
I'm just a war machine
A shootiin', blastin' fiend
I think it's high time you knew
Whenever I think of you
My mind blows a fuse (baby)
When I look in your eyes
My mutant meter starts to rise, I become so infused
My mutant target-er rules
When I'm obliterating you
Homing rockets start to flow
And my mutant indicator starts to glow, wooh

Sung to the tune of “Love Machine” by the Smokey Robinson-less Miracles

It seems that *&^%$buttslavia
Arturo
Aug 14, 2014 Arturo rated it it was ok
Its like an old Image title, great art, forgettable story. Jubilee was great, acting crazy, as she is now a vamp. The action scenes were pretty good. Fighting Sentinels can get pretty old, but some pages looked like they should be posterized.
I can try to look at it as an espionage story, with Domino doing her thing, or a great call back to the 1st Sentinel story. or half an X-Force team getting out of the darkness of secrecy.
but the story was just not very entertaining.
Alex Sarll
Possibly the most generic superhero comic I've ever read, and that's saying something.
Mike
Jul 25, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This trade contains X-Men (2011) issues #20-23 and X-Men (1963) #14.

I haven't read much X-Men related comics since Whedon's run on Astonishing. War Machines caught my eye and featured an interesting group - the back cover text described Storm leading a team of "Utopia's most powerful mutants - Warpath, Psylocke, Colossus and Jubilee." Wait, Jubilee?! Ok, between comments like that and what I've heard about the recent Cyclops/Wolverine split obviously I'd missed a lot of changes. Since this trade
Silas
Aug 15, 2014 Silas rated it liked it
This was alright. There was a bit of a break from previous comics in the series. When last I saw Jubilee, she was retreating from everyone, but now she is out in the field. I gather that Schism happened between trades, but this is still a pretty big jump. Still, it played up her vampiric sneakiness and strength, so that was well-handled, and the story was good, if not terribly exciting. It was also a rather short collection, padded out by an old story, which I would prefer they didn't do. There ...more
Bryson McCheeseburger
Jun 29, 2015 Bryson McCheeseburger rated it really liked it
FIRST READ: Not a bad story, nothing special, but not bad. The reason for the four-stars is the addition of the classic X-Men at the end with the first appearance of the Sentinals. So cool to see such a classic story in with the modern story.

SECOND READ: What this book has going for it more than the others in this series so far is as follows:
a) The story connects back to the original story of Jubilee becoming/being a vampire
b) It's like an 80's/90's action movie plot put into an X-Men comic
c) S
Ernest
Oct 20, 2012 Ernest rated it it was ok
This volume contains enough entertainment in a story about Storm led X-Men team against another party who use perennial enemy the Sentinels. There is little in the way of character development or great emotional impact. Rather, readers will get set pieces of action with most characters getting their moment to blast, thump or shoot as appropriate and solid art. This is not a bad thing in itself, but readers should go into it knowing that this is by no means a deep volume and it may take something ...more
Sean
Mar 11, 2016 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: X-Completists
An embarrassingly contrived plot that devolved quickly. That's just a brief synopsis of this collection. Gischler again struggles to grasp who these characters are and what makes them great. The inclusion of War Machine was interesting until the second issue when that tension disappears for no reason. Just bad writing. Jubilee's decent into.....whatever is plain bad. The art by Will Conrad was solid and keeps this from being rated any lower. Overall, another miss.
Jacob
Mar 16, 2013 Jacob rated it it was ok
Public library copy.

(To be read on vacation.)

I don't keep up with mutant titles obviously because this book was a library copy, but this was an all right read. I thought the artist was really good and even better than the story served. I hope the artist gets a chance to work on a title of wider recognition rather than a non-A-list mutant character title.
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 19, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
I think this may be Gischler’s best volume of the series. Yeah, it’s shallow as all heck and has no long-lasting effects; the characterization of War Machine is also non-existent. But it’s a fun bit of action with some nice continuity via the Sentinels. I also think the team gels better post-Schism, where it was kind of random beforehand.
Stefan Fergus
Jul 16, 2013 Stefan Fergus rated it really liked it
3.5*. You know what I really like about this series? The fact that you don't have to read any others (yet) to enjoy it or get the full story. No cross-overs (yet), no need to read other series or Event mini-series. Just good, action-packed mutant fun.
M. Ashraf
Jun 12, 2012 M. Ashraf rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
a cool story after Schism event I liked it.
For more with Spoilers
Lord
Jan 16, 2013 Lord rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
X-Men volume 3 has never been a good series and after Regenesis it's equally bad as Uncanny X-Men. Piece of crap. At least there's still Peter David and maybe Mike Carey...
Sonic
Feb 27, 2013 Sonic rated it it was ok
This was an ok read for something borrowed from the library.

The art was on the strong side

and the writing was on the mediocre side.

I'm just sayin'.
Chris Lemmerman
Surprisingly good seems to be the watch-word for Gischler's X-Men. A solid, if unremarkable, adventure that has some good battle scenes if a fairly cliched plotline. Not bad, but not great either.
Nicole Chiodo
Aug 09, 2013 Nicole Chiodo rated it liked it
The art is great, but the story is just so-so. It was a fun, quick read, even if the plot wasn't exactly memorable.
Eric Mikols
Oct 04, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-men
An average X-Men story. I wish Sentinels were still scary in the comics, but they're not. They're just purple cannon fodder these days. I liked the team setup, but not a lot of characterization.
Sharon
Feb 08, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Wilde Sky
This book contains two stories related to robotic enemies / foes.

I found this book quite entertaining with the story from 1963 be the better of the two.
Bob Hernandez
Bob Hernandez rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Tom Jensen
Tom Jensen rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2013
Jeremy Spaulding
Jeremy Spaulding rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Larissa
Larissa rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Johnny Tentoes
Johnny Tentoes rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Brendan Wright
Brendan Wright rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Josh Ogden
Josh Ogden rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Lionel
Lionel rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Victor Gischler is an American author of humorous crime fiction.
Gischler's debut novel Gun Monkeys was nominated for the Edgar Award, and his novel Shotgun Opera was an Anthony Award finalist. His work has been translated into Italian, French, Spanish and Japanese. He earned a Ph.D. in English at the University of Southern Mississippi. His fifth novel Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse was published in
More about Victor Gischler...

X-Men, Volume III (8 books)
  • X-Men: Curse of the Mutants