Start by marking “Batman: O Cavaleiro das Trevas - Edição Definitiva” as Want to Read:
Batman: O Cavaleiro das Trevas - Edição Definitiva

Batman: O Cavaleiro das Trevas - Edição Definitiva (Frank Miller's Batman Absolute DK)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,109 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Note: Alternate Cover for this ISBN can be found/A capa alternativa deste ISBN pode ser encontrada here/aqui

Escrita e desenhada por Frank Miller, a história, mostrando um Cavaleiro das Trevas envelhecido e amargurado voltando à ativa após anos de aposentadoria, ultrapassou as fronteiras do que se convencionava considerar 'histórias em quadrinhos', estabelecendo novos parâm
Published 2011 by Panini Comics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Nicholas Doyle
The problem with this book is that, on one hand, you have one of the best "graphic novels" in the history of superhero comics; a story written by Miller at the height of his powers, long before he fell into whatever crazy-guy-cliche-hole he's been living in the for last decade or so. On the other hand, you have The Dark Knight Strikes Again, which is pretty much the antithesis of The Dark Knight Returns. I mean, no one would ever call Miller subtle, but DKR does have some quiet moments mixed in ...more
Sandeep
Jul 04, 2010 Sandeep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Knight shall forever remain the most enigmatic of superheroes - someone who escapes ridicule by dint of perseverance and sheer insensitivity to the absurdity of it all. Limited in terms of real powers, this is exactly what makes him the most popular; the fact that we can identify with him at some level, at the level of being fully human - mindf*cks, warts and all - make his shenanigans the most intriguing.

Frank Miller has now resurrected the Batman (I always prefix the moniker with the
John Goode
Mar 09, 2012 John Goode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of things that can be said for The Dark Knight but that it is not enjoyable every time you read it is not one of them. It is hard in this post Watchman age to divorce the series itself from the darkness that has seemed to change comic books forever until you pick it up and start to read it again.

And then you remember why it changed everything.

frank Miller's art is not for everyone but in the case of this there is literally no one else who could have married images to words like t
Selby
Sep 13, 2007 Selby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A classic from the comic renaissance. The 1980's climaxed with an revolution in popular comics. Neil Gaiman had written Violent Cases, Black Orchid, and was beginning his seminal Sandman series. Alan Moore had written V for Vendetta, Watchmen, and had been working on the Swamp Thing series. Art Spiegelman was soon going to create Maus. Then there was Frank Miller. Combined with his groundbreaking Daredevil run, The Dark Knight Returns changed the rules and potential of the super-hero story. Comm ...more
Dufour
Jan 31, 2008 Dufour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
These DC Absolute editions are MASSIVE. Bigger than coffee table books. And the format really does justice to Miller's art. Dark Knight is, of course, the seminal work of the 1980s that ushered in the "grim n' gritty" era of comicdom. There's a lot more going on in this book though, from political criticisms of Reagan era policy to commentary on media culture. I would've given this format of Dark Knight full stars but it does include Miller's sequel story The Dark Knight Strikes Back. DKSB is st ...more
Andrew
Mar 08, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Knight Returns: 4.5/5
The Dark Knight Strikes Again: 2/5
Octavi
Dec 08, 2015 Octavi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una auténtica maravilla. Sin más.
Robert Gustavo
Oct 27, 2015 Robert Gustavo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original "Dark Knight Returns" now feels incredibly dated and cynical, and almost unreadably cliched in parts -- although the cliched parts are as often the victim of being homaged too many times in other works to feel remotely fresh, as they are to have been cliches at the time. It's an interesting period piece, but nothing more.

The sequel, "The Dark Knight Strikes Again", however, has held up far better for all of its many flaws. 9/11 drove Frank Miller insane, and you can see him crumblin
Joyce
Aug 11, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman
The Dark Knight Returns was one of the first Batman stories I ever read years and years ago. I was really disappointed when I found out it wasn't cannon. The art is edgy and awesome, and Miller can spin a great story. It's a shame Carrie Kelley doesn't get any cred. She's one of my favorite characters in comic books, and it's great seeing more of her in second half. And anyway, I love seeing the boy scout get ... oh wait, you need to read that part for yourself. :)
Eduardo Guerra
Dec 29, 2013 Eduardo Guerra rated it really liked it
A primeira história, excelente! A segunda… era melhor ter ficado só com a primeira…

De qualquer forma, um item excelente para uma coleção de graphic novels! Vários extras bem legais!
Arthur
Jun 24, 2014 Arthur rated it liked it
É bom até que... deixa de ser. Alguém abriu o forno e o bolo desandou. Podia ter parado no v. 2, creio. Ou não ter terminado o terceiro.
Tom Donaghey
Dec 06, 2015 Tom Donaghey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT SAGA Deluxe Edition by Frank Miller and DC Comics is worth the wait. Years ago I read the first half, THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, and loved every panel of it. Not only is the story first rate, having Bruce Wayne coming back from retirement after a decade away from the suit, but the drawing and ink work was extraordinary, bringing every possible feeling tothe surface for the reader to enjoy.
But for me that was just the appetizer. The second half, THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGA
Andreas
Because I have already said my two cents about both stories I will just add helpful links to both my reviews.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes again

It also contains bonus elements, making it a fun collectible. Then again: Most of it is from The Dark Knight Strikes Again. There's limits to how much I want to know about Frank Miller and his trip to coco-land.
Paul
Dec 17, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, batman
Like most people writing reviews for this book, I am of two minds (and a half)
1. The Dark Knight Returns is one of the defining stories of the 1980s (with Watchmen & MAUS) that redefined comics as a medium. No longer were we reading comic books, we were now reading Graphic Novels!
It is one of the hallmarks of Graphic Novels and a must-read by any aficianado of the field.

2. The Dark Knight Strikes Again... not so much. It's pretty obvious that Miller had no idea as to how to do a decent follo
Leonard Armstrong
May 25, 2015 Leonard Armstrong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Dark Knight Returns warrants 5 stars. But the very uneven and very poorly illustrated Dark Knight Strikes Again takes away in this overall package. Sorry Mr. Miller, your genius with Batman in the mid-1980s seems to have taken a turn away from my tastes with the Dark Knight Strikes Again - although I will admit there were many story element in TDKSA that cold have developed into something very nice. But the story was uneven and the art distracting. Batman and the Dark Knight Returns mythos d ...more
João Batista
Oct 19, 2014 João Batista rated it liked it
5 estrelas pelo enredo.
Mas o excesso de 'notas jornalísticas' no meio da história deixou um pouco cansativa a leitura; mesmo que essas tenham sido uma crítica ferrenha ao universo midiático norte-americano da época, mostrando a banalização da violência e da era Reagan...
Adorei as 2 surras que o tal Super-man leva de Batman e sua equipe... após a segunda, o kryptoniano é consolado pela amazona Mulher-maravilha e causam desastres globais!
Vilões poderosos aparecem e tentam dominar o planeta, como s
Kenneth
Oct 15, 2012 Kenneth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicnovels
The 2 "Dark Knight" mini-series collected. I really liked (**** in GR rating) the first series (The Dark Knight Returns). The layout was, at times cramped and the art was a bit chunky and primitive, but in a good sort of abstract way. The story was thoroughly compelling and mostly coherent.
The same can not be said of the sequel (The Dark Knight Strikes Again). I hated it. (* GR rating)
I found it a confused mess of comic book hero wankery. Maybe if I cared more about the entire DC universe, I mi
Dean Olson
3 stars for THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and 1 Star for STRIKES BACK. I have read returns before and enjoyed but this was my first reading of strikes back. What garbage. The art was so hard to follow and the writing is all over the place. Plus Frank Miller is misogynist garbage and it shows in all his writing. People are quick to judge THE KILLING JOKE as misogynist but Alan Moore as other great feminist stories like PROMETHEA. Everything Frank Miller writes is full of sexist comments and bad women c ...more
Rob Motta
May 02, 2016 Rob Motta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first part of this monster graphic novel was "The Dark Knight Returns" and it was AMAZING!! It's been awhile since I've read it, and it was a treat to rediscover how genius Frank Miller is. He took the Dark Knight to new and fabulous heights. A bonus for me, is finding a more than a few tidbits of dialogue and some bits of the story that appeared in " Batman V Superman - Dawn of Justice". Beautiful! The second part of the graphic novel was "The Dark Knight Strikes Again". I've also read this ...more
Benjamin Roberts
The Dark Knight Returns was alright, but I couldn't stand the art or understand the story in The Dark Knight Strikes Again.
Richa Nevatia
Feb 14, 2016 Richa Nevatia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really really awesome collection! I am a novice when it comes to comics, but this was bloody brilliant!
Kent
Sep 16, 2010 Kent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Knight Returns is one of the most legendary Batman stories of all time. Working as a "what if" tale, the story tells what the world of Gotham City would be like if Bruce Wayne finally hung it up, and stopped being Batman.

Of course that voice comes back to him and told him to put the cowl back on and clean Gotham up one last time. It's of course deeper than that and resurrects some of Batman's best villains.

It's easily the most readable tales in Batman history.

The large print version he
Elijah
Mar 10, 2014 Elijah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so awsome I chould read it over and over again
Bruno Martinez-Leo
No way to put this book down. Great art. Great reinvention of the Batman story among with severe critiques to society (no changes from 1984 to today, as you will see).
Satyajit Chetri
Feb 22, 2016 Satyajit Chetri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread, after a long time. Still holds up.
Marshall Ruddock
Mar 03, 2013 Marshall Ruddock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman, dc
"Dark Knight Returns" is commonly referred to as the best graphic novel of all time and while I liked it, I didn't love it. It had some memorable parts for me and I can still pictures some of the artwork in my mind even after all the time that has passed since I read it.

"The Dark Knight Strikes Again" on the other hand isn't as good at all. Only recommended for the hardcore Batman/Frank Miller fan.

Luckily for me, they came together in a huge book with a sexy book vest and the best part, it was f
Analice Ferreira
Dec 03, 2011 Analice Ferreira rated it really liked it
É ótimo - precisamente o que se espera de Frank Miller & co. O único problema que encontrei nesta edição, talvez, tenha sido falha da própria Panini - unificação de detalhes desnecessários. Eu penso que a HQ deveria ter terminado sem toda aquela questão Lara/Brainiac/etc - seria mais egoísta, mas funcionaria bem. Aliás, um destaque maior para uma das melhores "Robin" que já vi/li, Carrie K - a moça e Bruce W funcionam muitíssimo bem como dupla. Mr. Miller, you rock!
Bob Parks
Dec 30, 2010 Bob Parks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Like the wrath of God, it's heading toward Gotham." That quote is ever imprinted on my mind.
The Dark Knight Returns is ... well, everything that has been said about it and more.
The panel in the third chapter, of Batman on the horse at the dump is iconic.
The Dark Knight Strikes Again... I still enjoyed it, but it was no where near what DKR was. Nothing memorable from that source. Still, good, but not great.
Captainkopp
Jul 24, 2007 Captainkopp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic fans
Frank Miller is one of the few comic writers to really know the character of Bat-Man. I haven't also liked Frank Millers writing, but this is some of the best comic reads you can find. From Bat-Man: year one, to (the first) the Dark Knight Returns, you get a new understanding for the world of Bat-Man. This is a must read (for comic geeks).
Jonathan H.
Jun 10, 2012 Jonathan H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I've read both of Frank Miller's Dark Knight books before, but just read through them again. I don't always like Miller's illustrations, but I love where he takes the story and the idea of people hating superheroes because they make us feel small. It occurred to me that "The Incredibles" probably owes something to this book.
  • The World's Greatest Super-Heroes
  • Absolute Planetary Book Two
  • Absolute DC: The New Frontier
  • Absolute Justice
  • Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 3: KnightsEnd (New Edition)
  • Voices of the Dead
  • Batman/Two-Face/Scarecrow: Year One
  • Stop & Frisk
  • Superman/Batman: World's Finest
  • Absolute All-Star Superman
  • Astonishing X-Men Deluxe Hardcover Volume 1
  • Fantastic Four Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Batman #22 (New 52 Batman, #22)
  • The Absolute Sandman, Volume Two
  • Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller...

Frank Miller's Batman (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #2
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #3
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #4
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
  • Batman: Year One
  • The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Vol. 1 (Batman DK2 #1)
  • The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Vol. 2 (DK2 #2)
  • The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Vol. 3 (Batman DK2 #3)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again