Start by marking “Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: Ten Proven Ways Your Favorite Music Can Revolutionize Your Health, Memory, Organization, Alertness and More” as Want to Read:

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  28 reviews

From internationally renowned brain scientists, Your Playlist Can Change Your Life teaches how to use your favorite music to enhance your health, memory, organization, alertness, and more. Readers will learn how to use the power of music to attain increased levels of performance as well as enhance their ability to fight off the negatives of stress, insomnia, anxiety, depre

Published January 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about Your Playlist Can Change Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Playlist Can Change Your Life

Rose
Feb 16, 2012 Rose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: music lovers who want a light scientific/self-help guide to using music in everyday life
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley
Before I start this review, I should find it appropriate to say I'm a self proclaimed music nut. :) I listen to anything from Soul to Alternative, Progressive Metal to J-Pop and K-Pop, and Jazz to Classical among many other types. My tastes are varied, but they remain dynamic and define who I am as a person.

When coming across "Your Playlist Can Change Your Life" - the idea behind the work seemed really fascinating - using music as a way to improve health among other benefits. I like creating pl
Deborah
I like the idea. The research seems sound. I didn't like the beginning very much. I had to skip around to get interested in the book. At the beginning it sounded like way too much trouble and the thought of listening to the same songs over and over didn't sound appealing to me. Some sections were very technical, I think sidebars could have been used for those details.

I think it would have been better to start with the chapter about changing your mood. That's easier to understand. I think longer
Anne

I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick, interesting read especially for someone who enjoys music but is not a musician. While some of the information may seem obvious, too often music is just backround noise. This book made me think about really listening to music and connecting it with emotions. I am certain that I will place more attention on the music and lyrics. I found the sections on running and music particularly interesting, and will apply this to my own running. The playlists made m
Mary Beth
For a music nut like me, this book had so many interesting ideas for how to craft playlists for optimum living. I am always making playlists and creating mixtapes, but I never thought how using certain songs could help me to be organized or improve my memory.
The Joy of Booking
I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading this book, and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure what I think now that I've finished the book. I'm very interested in the type of pop psychology theories that show you how to change your life based on routines or life hacks, but this is something on a different plane entirely.

I should probably state up front that I'm not particularly a huge music fan. I like music just fine, but I would compare myself to a casual wine drinker, and to the likely
Tom
Mar 13, 2013 Tom rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hikers, bikers, endurance athletes.
Recommended to Tom by: no one
Quite useful, but repetitive, and necessarily dated. Fairly soft science backing up the practice of listening to music in order to moderate consciousness. The practice has been a part of human existence for many thousands of years. Vibratory effects of sound have been well known, primarily in religious contexts. For example, Vedic tradition of mantra use for specific physiological effects.
Listening to my iPod while backpacking, bicycling, and walking has clearly resulted in elevated energy, inc
Tyler Renaud
(F.Y.I.)I am going to be kinda harsh in this review. Well...this book was repetitive to say the least. I guess I did pull some helpful tips from the whole book but I was just not feeling it at all. The author had their heart in the right place but at the end of each chapter, you receive the same regurgitated material from all the chapters prior. The most interesting parts about this book were; the mentioning of BPM Music Files (music your brain makes via brain waves) and the fact that by using m ...more
hannah
I'm trying to remember why I was so excited to read this, because it really is far from riveting. Also, the problem with any book like this is that it's instantly dated (10,000 Maniacs) and also cannot offer any real suggestions on what to put on a playlist because that's so personal. That said, it does actually say some interesting things about neuroscience, brain music therapy, how BPM can affect your mood, and other cool things that, even though they don't provide direct inspiration as to the ...more
Farrah
Interesting read about how music can change the way the brain works in different situations. I found the book to contain things I already knew but also informative on the science front and helpful in determining what songs or sounds would help me have a more peaceful or motivating and focused mind. I do think I would have liked it better if the layout of the chapters and writing style were more “entertaining” even though I learned a couple things. Overall though I found it to be OK. If you’re lo ...more
Karen
This would have been better served as a blogpost. Using your playlists to regulate your mood is an interesting idea though. There was no mention as to what might be differences between music-lovers only & practicing musicians. Also lots of repetition since they had to pad it out.
Yasheve
Luke Kristie said... It's pointless to stretch common sense experience into 200+ page
Kim
Really interesting read on the connection between music and the brain.
Lori
Maybe I didn't really pay enough attention to the description on the back cover...or maybe I thought this would be less self-helpy and more science-y. Either way, what I thought I'd be reading was a look into how people's brains are wired different ways to respond to different music...for example, what makes one person able to concentrate better while listening to Vivaldi and another listening to Metallica?
That's not what this was, really. There was some of that, but then exercises at the end o
Alyssa Greatbanks
I understand they would like to get you to understand the methods well. But I do think that at times, they explained things a little too much for the average person.

Other than that though, it was a pretty good book. I've already made a playlist using their methods, and I hope to see improvements soon.

And the BMT procedure they explained sounded pretty neat. I am thinking of doing that one of these days when it gets a little cheaper.

I recieved this book through the GoodReads First Reads Giveaway.
Amy J
We all know how music makes us feel, how it stimulates the thought process, how it calms those nerves. We all know how amazing it is to hear your favorite song, how you automatically turn it up and how good you feel after having heard it. If you are a music lover this book is telling you things you already know deep down. It just takes it a step or two further and teaches you to hone the skills you need to allow music to work in beneficial ways for you. Not that music wasn't already working for ...more
Kristie
Wow, this book is best suited for people who are completely out of touch with themselves, or humanity. Most people know how music effects them, or if they don't know, they subconciously utilize all of the information provided in this book. It's so repetitive too. You use the same technique whether you want to feel calm, alert, happy, or creative. The only thing that changes is the music, duh. The only thing I found interesting about this book was the little blurb about turning your brain waves i ...more
Chris Babcock
It's not that the advice is bad or wrong, it's actually pretty interesting and helpful. For the first chapter. Unfortunately, there's not a true variance in application, even tough the chapters imply so.

Here's the format: describe an emotion or mental state, give examples of how playlists can change or enhance your mood, repeat same directions on making a playlist that have appeared in all previous chapters.
Sue
Read this and took notes in around an hour and a half at the library today. A lot of things resonated with my experience as a musician and a person who has always loved music, but it was interesting to see that there is science behind your favorite music affecting you. Looking forward to making my own playlists and exploring music purposely in the near future.
Rachel Morley
Some interesting concepts but nothing terribly earth shattering or anything that's not common sense. Music is such a huge part of my life, moods, etc.... that I did appreciate looking a bit more deeply at the psychological effects of music, but really, the only thing that really stuck with me from the book were the quotes at the beginning of each chapter.
Kristi Hanson
Lots of common sense stuff, but gave me information on how to customize my playlists a little better. I already construct my playlists to match the mood I may be in, but it helps to think about it a little differently.
Taleisin
I always knew that music could affect my mood and even change the course of my day. It was neat to hear the scientific evidence. This book had me fiddling around with my playlists.
Natalie Moreland
Not as awesome as the title sounded. . . (Adult age group)
Valerie, Queen
Meh. Nothing too surprising. Make sure the music I put on my playlist is music I like? No way!
Rosa
Why are all my playlists from my past? Since I had kids I don't listen to music.
Josh
I should listen intentionally/actively to more music of more types.
Sue
Found it a bit simplistic and obvious. No new insights.
Dave
Not quite as good as I thought it would be...
Emma Whyte
Emma Whyte marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Elisaveta Tsekova
Elisaveta Tsekova marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
  • Healing at the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives
  • At Left Brain, Turn Right
  • Yoga Cures: Simple Routines to Conquer More Than 50 Common Ailments and Live Pain-Free
  • The 11 Karmic Spaces: Choosing Freedom from the Patterns That Bind You
  • Surviving Schizophrenia: A Manual for Families, Patients, and Providers
  • Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
  • A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds: Make the Inside of Your Head Your Favorite Place to Be
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick
  • Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success
  • Cavemen, Monks, and Slow Food: A History of Eating Well
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness
  • The Well-Balanced World Changer: A Field Guide for Staying Sane While Doing Good
  • CrazyBusy: Overstretched, Overbooked, and About to Snap! Strategies for Coping in a World Gone ADD
  • America's Obsessives: The Compulsive Energy That Built a Nation
  • Healing with the Arts: A 12-Week Program to Heal Yourself and Your Community
  • When Stravinsky Met Nijinsky: Two Artists, Their Ballet, and One Extraordinary Riot
  • Living and Dying in Brick City