Too Close to Miss

Too Close to Miss

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Mara Cunningham knew that sleeping with a married man was a bad idea. But when her lover shows up in the hospital after his wife and son are murdered, the rumors about her turn dangerous. Now she's the prime suspect in a double homicide, and the real killers will stop at nothing to silence her. Mara's race against time takes her from the dense heart of Boston to the dark w...more
Published November 28th 2011

Bryan
Disclaimer 1: The author is an online acquaintance. I like his blogging/commentary and I fully expected this book to be well written.

Disclaimer 2: I hate thrillers. I have had difficulty making it through Ludlum, Forsythe, etc. I especially hate thrillers with no politics and no threat of nuclear explosions.

Combining the two disclaimers, I expected to say that this was a really well written thriller that would be enjoyed by people who like thrillers, but that I was not one. Much to my surprise I...more
Mike
A compelling, incisively smart, and witty thriller; in some ways comparable to Lawrence Shames' work in its balance of character arc, plot, and immersion in a particular city (in this case, Boston). The story takes about two chapters to grab your interest fully, at which point you'll be hooked to the finish. Among the book's virtues is a legitimately likeable (yet imperfect) protagonist, a richly evocative setting, and a number of legitimately surprising plot twists which are nonetheless perfect...more
Flannery
Full disclosure: The author is a friend of mine. It also takes place in Boston. Those two things would automatically earn any book two stars.

But this book doesn't need my pity stars. It's earned all 4 on its own merits.

It's fast, it's tight, it's exciting. I couldn't put it down. The protagonist is a believable, likeable, flawed protagonist. The fight scenes, the tight spots (both figurative and literal), and the vulnerable moments leap off the page in vivid detail. Perich's Mara Cunningham coul...more
Tom
A fast-moving noir thriller with style to spare. Mara Cunningham is an appealing protagonist, who manages to keep her head even when she's in way over it. Too Close to Miss sends her on a ride through Boston, uncovering the details of the attempted murder of her lover (and the successful murder of his wife and son). Too Close to Miss is an exciting and engaging debut novel, worth reading both by fans of the genre and those who would like to give it a try.
Nikki Frankel
I get a kick out of stories set in Boston as I've lived here for several years. Unfortunately, the delightful details of my favorite city were not enough to keep me fully interested in this book. It is a quick read and the prose is well written, but the plot was slow to develop. I found it difficult to relate to the narrator. So much of the story relies on the reader caring about the narrator's fate and thus this was not an out of the park home run for me. I was also disappointed at the ending i...more
Joanna
I'm not a huge fan of "thrillers" so I was impressed that I was so entertained by Too Close to Miss. Some of the character development was slightly lacking - I noticed I was getting confused keeping track of some of the outlying characters, but this is pretty typical for a thriller novel for me.

The story was really fast paced and I loved the backdrop of Boston. I was legitimately excited to pick up the book and read and I really enjoyed the strong female protagonist. I look forward to reading mo...more
JC
Picked this up from Amazon for free, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I really enjoyed it. The book starts out at a fast pace and doesn't slow down. The writing was perfect by any means, but I found the storyline quite compelling. I'd recommend this book if you're into mystery novels.
Quillracer
This book merits 3 stars for an interesting plot with some novel twists.

But I never quite got a good feel for Mara Cunningham, who was a journalist, photojournalist, or crime scene photographer, (depending on which chapter I was reading). Other than knowing she has red hair, I don’t have an idea what she looks like. Is she tall or short, stocky or slim, with long flowing hair or a short bob? She never became ‘real’ to me, was just a character on the page.

Several threads in the plot didn’t quite...more
Norma Budden
At times, I dared not breathe while reading Too Close to Miss, a title which you'll find has a few connotations after you've read the last page.

I can imagine John Perich writing his book with one or, possibly, two sentences as the summary of what will happen - but the story I embarked on fed my imagination throughout the day and into the wee hours of the morning. I couldn't get enough of this mystery.

A lawyer's wife and 5-year-old son had been murdered, the lawyer having sustained injuries which...more
Sylvia
I was happy while reading this book, and when finished, I was happy that I’d read it. It’s a satisfying thriller. My interest in thrillers and mysteries and detective stories is uneven because the formula (and there is a formula) often feels worn and done. I can see where it’s going after five pages. This story, however, does formula in the right way. All the familiar steps of a mystery are there, but they’re handled with finesse and that made the story feel really good to read. Kinda like danci...more
Christy
This was better than some of the books I've read but not as good as others in the thriller genre. It was slow to get going for me and I found all of Mara's building and/or repeating injuries almost laughable by the end. Some of the characters were hard to keep up with as there was little to no background on them. I did like that I didn't know if the betrayals of "friends" was truly over (Saul) until the book ended. However, I feel like Mara is a bit shallow or underdeveloped in that she only has...more
Terri
Too Close to Miss by John Perich is an exciting thriller that takes place in the heart of Boston. Mara Cunningham, photographer for the Tribune, knows that carrying on a relationship with a married man is a mistake and has put that behind. That is, until she gets a call in the middle of the night to tell her that man, a prominent attorney, has been shot. Mara will do anything to find out who shot him and why. But will she be too late?

This is a fascinating thriller that kept my interest for about...more
Dava Stewart
Joyce

A female newspaper photographer receives a call in the middle of the night telling her that her married paramour has been shot and is in the Hospital. She goes there and learns that his wife and son were murdered at the time of his shooting. She begins to investigate the murders and what lead up to them. In her past she was an investigative and political reporter so she has the skills for such an investigation. She is also a self-defense instructor. Just knowing this will give the reader many h...more
Antriksh
I love thrillers. I loved Dan Brown's books. I read a lot of this genre.

Too Close To Miss is a very well-researched and well-written novel. The plot s quite complex, the characters are very believable etc. The reason for my mediocre rating, however, are:

- The book did not get even a bit exciting until about 30% in, although it had a promising start.
- The plot was a bit too complex and revolved around legal matters, which isn't my thing.
- The long dialogue scenes where characters talk about legal...more
Peggy
At first I didn't like this book I thought I can't wait to finish it I thought Mara's character had no brains for someone that was an investigative reporter she should have known better then get herself into the trouble she did. once I got about half way through it I couldn't put it down the person I thought was the bad guy turned up dead so I had to find out who did this. Getting passed Mara's lack of better judgement and her stupid luck it is a good who done it.
Rebecca
This book had me hooked from the beginning but then I found it dragging by the end. A lot of characters with all different stories I actually had to go back through the book and find out who some of the folks were. Either way it was pretty fast paced and full of action. I can't say that I felt bad for the main character since she was sleeping with a married man but that's all a part of the story. This is a decent thriller though with a lot of twists and turns.
Kim
It was good! I like the 2nd book better
Chris Moyer
I enjoyed this quite a bit, it was fast-paced, twisty and engaging. I hadn't solved the mystery on page one, and was feeling the thrill until the end.

My only complaint would be that a few bits felt too telegraphed. Yes, I got it, the narrator is a woman, very clever and doesn't give up.

Overall, though, a fun read.
Ray Charbonneau
It's only 99 cents, so if you rate it by cost/enjoyment ratio, it's clearly at least a 4.

Basic genre stuff, where the genre is "spunky woman mysteries". Falls in with Kinsey Millhone, Stephanie Plum, etc... Comparable in quality to any of those (actually, significantly better than the latter Plum novels).
Jerome
May 25, 2012 Jerome rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: free
This book was pretty good. It got a little slow at certain parts but overall it kept me interested enough to finish. The end wrapped up pretty fast and have maybe been drawn out a little longer for more closure. The overall motivation of the bad guys wasn't very interesting when all said and done.
Katie
Pretty solid, good story interesting characters. My biggest problem is that you get hit over the head with the fact that the protagonist had been sleeping with the victim. As if you could forget, some reminder starts practically the first 10 chapters. That aside, it was a fun, quick read.
Theresa
Would like to give it 3 & 1/2 stars. In the beginning I couldn't get to the next page fast enough but three-quarters of the way through when the pieces started to fall into place, it slowed down a little for me.
Sarah Osman
I loved every part of this book. I'm a slow reader yet I finished it in less than two days. It surely is a page turner. Last time I checked, it was available for free on iBooks. I recommend downloading it!
Beth Erwin
Really enjoyed the twisted plot, and even found myself liking the characters when I didn't agree with their actions. All in all, this was a very good choice for an airplane read.
Sandy Maynard
solid mystery, the main character was a little bit like superwoman and was able to get herself out of some unrealistic situations, took place in boston
Amy
It was very hard to put down, but the details got very confusing at the end! Lots of bad guys, a few good guys, and several in-betweens!
Michael
Made for a nice airplane book. Fairly standard genre fare, but well done. The protagonist choice was interesting and and added some depth.
Kathy
All in all a good mystery thriller. Easy quick read. Not too many characters to remember and a good ending.

Tammy
I know I read it because it's archived. It must have been forgettable because I don't remember what happens...
TOO HARD TO HANDLE - out now! 2 5 Jul 11, 2013 05:28AM
Author Q&A 6 19 Aug 04, 2012 08:39AM
  • Backyard Bones (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #2)
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Pushed Too Far
  • Irrefutable
  • A Dangerous Harbor
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • Deadly Aim (Angel Delaney Mysteries, #1)
  • Every Precious Thing (Logan Harper, #2)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • Trial Junkies
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • The Ambassador's Wife  (Inspector Samuel Tay, #1)
  • Liquid Lies
  • Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series, #2)
  • Nowhere to Hide
  • Birdsongs
  • No Time To Run
While working in a variety of Boston-area tech startups, John Perich has still found time to write and publish several gritty crime thrillers, particularly the Mara Cunningham series (Too Close To Miss in 2011; Too Hard to Handle in 2012).

A Baltimore native but a Massachusetts resident, John teaches and practices jiu-jitsu, turns a winking eye to pop culture on Overthinking It, samples whiskey ind...more
More about John Perich...
Too Hard to Handle (Mara Cunningham Series, #2)