Start by marking “La Petite” as Want to Read:
La Petite

La Petite

In La Petite, the renowned French writer and film producer Michèle Halberstadt vividly recounts the painful events that surrounded the death of her beloved grandfather, which led to a suicide attempt when she was twelve years old. Michèle’s mother favored her older sister, her father was emotionally remote, her teachers dismissive, and her peers a foreign species. Her gran ...more
Published July 10th 2012 by Other Press (first published August 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about La Petite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Petite

ELIZABETH-ANNE
Jul 26, 2016 ELIZABETH-ANNE rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. i know people feel it is too short or not detailed enough or more should have been said.

To me it was fine just as it was. This could be because in so many ways I was that same girl, but unfortunately for me, I had no grand revelations at age 12, quite the opposite, at age 12 was when my mother said something so awful, so life changing that it determined the course of my life, as I absorbed it and it became me.

The revelations she had at 12, I am only baby stepping my
Suzanne
Mar 06, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
For such a sad memory, this book read as hopeful. It is irresistible in the same way that finding great treasure in a junk yard or the first glow of the sunrise that chases away the night can be, and reading it felt the same way to me.
Erin
Jun 24, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
This is a very short (I would even go so far as to say “fleeting”) memoir of the struggles Halberstadt faced when, at age 12, she lost her beloved grandfather. It’s painful and it’s real, and I recognized a lot of what she was describing. I wanted to reach out and help that little girl so badly, and make those around her see what no one was seeing. The book was filled with beautiful sentences that made me pause, contemplate, and read again. Halberstadt as a little girl reminded me of the heroine ...more
Sharon
Mar 07, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Tiny memoir of a twelve-year-old who is the soul sister of The Elegance of the Hedgehog's Paloma. Spare prose, high emotion. As usual, an Other Press book is worth the read!
Donna Morrison
Sep 27, 2013 Donna Morrison rated it really liked it
A touching story beautifully written. I empathize with the trials and trauma experienced by Michele and celebrate the beginning of her journey to health. Worth the read.
Kathleen
Mar 15, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Powerful and haunting book about a girl who travels to the brink of death and back again. A gritty and quick read.
Mary
Nov 09, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
This was a very gritty memoir of a French girl whose life was not all roses, but I loved the author's descriptions and I loved the message at the end. A quick read.
Andrea
Apr 03, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
SLIM memoir of 12-year old struggling to find herself after death of beloved grandfather. Interesting but ... Another 2 1/2. Though I did enjoy it, hesitate to say good--may revise in future.
Audrey
Apr 12, 2015 Audrey rated it really liked it
The emotions that this memoir evokes, the prose and word choice all make it a touching piece. A quick, yet powerful, read.
Marco
Apr 28, 2013 Marco rated it it was amazing
Brevissimo ed emozionante. Forse avendo figli mi ha toccato in modo particolare... Lo consiglio a tutti i genitori (e forse a tutti i figli preadolescenti)!
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Francis Hawk
Francis Hawk rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
azurasid
azurasid rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Cristi Vanderveer
Cristi Vanderveer rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Aimee
Aimee rated it it was ok
May 06, 2013
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Mary Johnston
Mary Johnston rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Sandhiya Baladhandapani
Sandhiya Baladhandapani rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Eli
Eli rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Devon Fromm
Devon Fromm rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Giulia (juliareadingdiary)
Giulia (juliareadingdiary) rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Martinez
Martinez rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Ester
Ester rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Anna-Maria
Anna-Maria rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Farah
Farah rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
P. H-S
P. H-S rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2012
Susan Mathieu
Susan Mathieu rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013