Start by marking “Death at the Jesus Hospital” as Want to Read:
Death at the Jesus Hospital

Death at the Jesus Hospital (Lord Francis Powerscourt #11)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Three men are found with their throats cut, and all are connected in some way to an ancient City of London livery company, the Silkworkers. Lord Powerscourt has no shortage of suspects or suspicions. The first victim had shadowy links with the Secret Service. The second had wiped fifteen years out of his own past. The third, a man who collected women at church during Chris ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Soho Constable (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Jesus Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Jesus Hospital

LJ
First Sentence: When there is no moon in January the dawn creeps in very slowly like the second hand on a clock that is running slow.

Three men appear to have been murder by their throats slit. What, then, is the odd thistle-like mark on each chest? Each man had a connection to The Silkworkers, an ancient livery company for the City of London. In each case, the victim was paid a visit by the same person shortly before their death. Lord Francis Powerscourt, an ex-intelligence officer, veteran of
Mysterytribune
David Dickinson, the Irish author of Lord Francis Powerscourt series. With a first-class degree in Classics from Cambridge, he worked in British television (BBC) for many years and was the editor of Newsnight and Panorama as well as Monarchy. He now divides his time between Somerset and France writing his notable historical mysteries. Death at the Jesus Hospital is his latest work released by Soho Press.

A Brief Summary:

Three men are found with their throats cut, and all are connected in some wa
Kate
Lord Powerscourt is on the case when three murders occur within a few days of each other, one of an elderly man at an almshouse called the Jesus Hospital, one at a school for boys, and one at the Silkworker's house. All seem tied up with the Silkworker's livery--which, best as I can tell, being an american is a sort of insurance firm which also runs the hospital and the school for boys, or provides insurance for them, or some such thing. Not being up on British financial planning, I really never ...more
Melissa
Got this book 'cause I thought it was in a hospital but it's actually a home for old men. Detective spends 200 pages on red herring before exploring what I thought he should have been exploring in the first place- and then the author just drops that part of the story line! Also repetitious as he has the detective and police explain the whole story each time to new people instead of just saying that the character explained the situation. Also bad editing/proofreading. Example, husband and wife ar ...more
Nancy Ellis
These books are always beautifully written and thoroughly enjoyable!
Charlene
A really good read. Will probably follow up with the author
Mara Grey
The mystery isn't bad but the plot is overwhelmed by the details and the endless delays that drag the pace. I'd call it poor writing, myself. A odor of snobbishness spoils the atmosphere, as if the author truly believes that pre-World War One society really had life figured out properly. Lord Francis' wife is slightly more interesting than the other women in the book but this is one story more oriented toward pleasing men than women, I'd say.
Jane Walker
This didn't work as a crime story. We are given an obvious connection between the 3 murders and a lot of information in pursuit of that connection. Then we find that it's a different connection entirely which is the answer, and the first is dropped, unresolved. Not the best of this series.
Mary G.
A really well plotted mystery of revenge. Over the years I have always looked forward to reading a Francis Powerscourt mystery. He and his friends are always nice to visit. The other nice thing about this series is the details about the history.
Victoria

Meh - it was okay. The language was overly descriptive without telling you anything and the plot was only mildly interesting. The author took the easy way out on this "who-done-it" - I won't read any more of his books.
Anne Pritchard
Really good book Ist one I have read by this author , apparantly it's a series so I shall now have to find the first one !!!
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
S Dizzy
S Dizzy marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 12, 2014
Angharad
Angharad marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Susan Lowry
Susan Lowry marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Becky Rippel
Becky Rippel marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Dickinson was born in Dublin. After receiving a first class honours degree in Classics from Cambridge he joined the BBC where he became editor of Newsnight and Panorama as well as being series editor on Monarchy, a three part programme on the current state and future prospects of the British royal family. David now lives in Barnes, South West London.

Librarian Note: There is more than one aut
More about David Dickinson...
Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1) Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2) Death of an Old Master (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #3) Death of a Chancellor (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #4) Death on the Nevskii Prospekt (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #6)